Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Which Boss gave you the most trouble?

Your first playthrough.

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Which Boss gave you the most trouble?

Postby Micah the Cryptic » Wed Aug 22 2007 12:39pm

I'd have to say the Lazer Eye battle gave me the most trouble when first played it as a kid. I remember not understanding the concept of them and having Max and about 1/4 of my Force being on the accursed bridge when it went off...

Which boss fight halted you for quite some time?

(Also, what is Ramladu's attack? It looks like a ball and chain but at other times it doesn't.)
"Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway." - Minister speaking of Astral (SF2)
"Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway." - Minister speaking of Astral (SF2)

Re: Which Boss gave you the most trouble?

Postby Cullsoft » Wed Aug 22 2007 1:23pm

I think Ramladu's weapon is meant to be a Flail of some sorts... possibly not a ball-on-chain, but some sort of nasty-implement-on-chain.

Speaking of which I think he and Mishaela provided the harshest boss battles, with Kane coming in at a close third. Ramladu has his horde of robots doing fixed amounts of damage while dishing out the dirt himself, whereas Mishaela always seemed to avoid half the attacks on her while tearing everyone apart with Bolt. Kane was also a heavy hitter... but at least by the time you got to him you'd have taken down all his support and it's pretty much just one-on-one.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Raslink » Wed Aug 22 2007 3:24pm

'one-on-one' Hehehe, one-on-TheShiningForce!

Oddly for me the hardest boss the first time I played was the Marionette. This was right when it came out in English, I hadn't really grasped the concept of split up and don't die from freeze 3. ;) And he heals himself, argh!

I wondered what he was using as well, trying to get a look in game proved futile because the anim moved so fast. So I zoomed him up out of game and it seems to just be a solid bar with a spiked black ball on the end. His attack is him swinging his arm above his head, the affect that makes it look like a ball-on-chain weapon seems to just be the 'swoosh' of air.
ImageImage
Raslink

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaos » Wed Aug 22 2007 3:31pm

Mishaela always gave me the most trouble. Funny thing is that she doesn't even pose a threat anymore when I'm playing the game nowadays.
"Fiery the angels fell / Deep thunder rolled around their shores / Burning with the fires of Orc."
"Fiery the angels fell / Deep thunder rolled around their shores / Burning with the fires of Orc."
Chaos

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby GNORN » Wed Aug 22 2007 9:58pm

Culley O'Fursdom @ Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:23 pm) wrote: Ramladu has his horde of robots doing fixed amounts of damage while dishing out the dirt himself,

Is that the battle where about 12 or something robots emerge from the ground in the Runefaust castle? I just went straight tot the boss and killed him off. Non of the robots touched me. Heh =)
Shining in the Darkness
Facing the Trial of Truth
Shining in the Darkness
Facing the Trial of Truth
GNORN

BANNED
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Wed Aug 22 2007 10:09pm

Culley O'Fursdom @ Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:23 pm) wrote: Speaking of which I think he and Mishaela provided the harshest boss battles, with Kane coming in at a close third. Ramladu has his horde of robots doing fixed amounts of damage while dishing out the dirt himself, whereas Mishaela always seemed to avoid half the attacks on her while tearing everyone apart with Bolt. Kane was also a heavy hitter... but at least by the time you got to him you'd have taken down all his support and it's pretty much just one-on-one.

Now that's really weird. I wiped out all of Mishaela and Ramladu's support well before I came within range of either of them, and I wasn't even really trying. All their lackeys just threw themselves at me while they sat there, kicking their heels back and sipping on lemonade. Now Kane, on the other hand... couldn't do it. That high priest of his just would not leave his side, no matter what angle I came at him from.

Kane himself is tougher than Mishaela or Ramladu. He pretty much has a guaranteed one-hit-kill for any of your characters that he targets, which Mishaela certainly does not. And he takes more hits than Ramladu, unless the king-man uses Aura level 3. Which he never did with me.

So, Kane for me. With Marionette coming in at a decent second; that's definitely a tricky battle for so early in the game.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Wed Aug 22 2007 10:14pm

Mishalea is easily the most challenging of all. More than any other boss, perhaps ignoring the Marionette, she dodges the most. That amongst other things means that she's always a slight irritation. Kane is a very close second however.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby xenometal » Thu Aug 23 2007 2:26am

For me it was definitively the Marionette and Mishaela. I didn't know you could Use items like the Power Ring and I didn't train my characters so I didn't have the fire power to bring down bosses quickly. So I bunched my characters up together to get the most attacks per turn but then those bosses would damage my characters more than I could heal with their area of effect spells and thus I got wiped out. :(

Laser Eye wasn't really a problem, but I remember I was quite impressed at first. I thought of at least letting it fire once on its own troops before I started moving on the bridge. The second time I faced it I just sent Amon and Balbaroy kill the Silver Knight once I knew the Ancient Weapon wasn't the actual boss.

Kane seriously mauled my team the first time I faced him, and I was scared of him since then. So the next time I would have Lyle attack him from over the cliff (you know where) for tiny bits of damage over and over! He wouldn't move or regenerate HP which made him suddenly very easy for the patient one. But Marionette and Mishaela took a lot more time to master.

Also, honorable mention should go to Elliot. Anyone sent Gort or Luke to their doom against Elliot the first time they faced him, not thinking he would be stupid enough to not move if he was only pelted by ranged attacks?
I am made of metal, my Laser Eye is keen. I am perpetual, I keep Metapha clean.
I am made of metal, my Laser Eye is keen. I am perpetual, I keep Metapha clean.
xenometal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Alpha » Thu Aug 23 2007 2:35am

I generally find Mishaela and Ramladu to be the most challenging. Especially when doing a solo game.
The WoopBlood
Because wooping makes us smile

Laeralas' character sheet
The WoopBlood

Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Alpha » Thu Aug 23 2007 2:51am

Especially on a Domingo solo :/
The WoopBlood

The WoopBlood

Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 23 2007 10:53am

The BOSS that gave me the most trouble was Mishaela...

her bolt 2 spell just sucks. Given her infinite MP, HP regen and high evasion/defence, I found her to be such a pain...

The start of the Chaos Battle is annoying too... the fact that you have high evading Chimera and Hard hitting Blue dragons make it awkward
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby CajNatalie » Thu Aug 23 2007 11:52am

Rick @ Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:53 am) wrote: The start of the Chaos Battle is annoying too... the fact that you have high evading Chimera and Hard hitting Blue dragons make it awkward

You mean Colossus..? :) :p :thumbsup:
They're alive; back from the dead!
SF1 Stat Growth Spreadsheets: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25645
Use them alongside the SF1 Editor when modding. :thumbsup:
They're alive; back from the dead!
SF1 Stat Growth Spreadsheets: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25645
Use them alongside the SF1 Editor when modding. :thumbsup:
CajNatalie

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 23 2007 11:17pm

I do...
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby Great Paladin » Fri Aug 24 2007 12:33am

Mishela. God she was sooo also laser eye, but my friend told me you can't get hit if ur behind it (keep in mind, i was like 12 or 13 lol), and the colusus battle.
Great Paladin

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Helldhaz » Fri Aug 24 2007 10:10am

Elliott, strangely enough. I remember letting my dad do that battle because I didn't want to for whatever reason (length scared me I guess).
HD
HD
Helldhaz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Cullsoft » Fri Aug 24 2007 1:56pm

Martin III @ Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:09 pm) wrote: Now that's really weird. I wiped out all of Mishaela and Ramladu's support well before I came within range of either of them, and I wasn't even really trying. All their lackeys just threw themselves at me while they sat there, kicking their heels back and sipping on lemonade. Now Kane, on the other hand... couldn't do it. That high priest of his just would not leave his side, no matter what angle I came at him from.

Kane himself is tougher than Mishaela or Ramladu. He pretty much has a guaranteed one-hit-kill for any of your characters that he targets, which Mishaela certainly does not. And he takes more hits than Ramladu, unless the king-man uses Aura level 3. Which he never did with me.

So, Kane for me. With Marionette coming in at a decent second; that's definitely a tricky battle for so early in the game.

Good points - usually when I get to Kane I've made sure there are some people on the Force who are high enough in levels to take him on without the risk of being killed in one hit being likely, so it's less of an issue (unless he gives the Dark Sword a go).

As for Ramladu... I've tried rushing him, but often the robots get the opportunity to dish out some dirt before everyone's out of their way, and considering the solid damage they can do irregardless of your defence, that can mean a few casualties if you're not careful/lucky. It's one that needs a bit of tactical thinking unless you're willing to leave a "sacrifice" or two to keep them busy while others go for Ramladu.

Mishaela... the problem with her is less to do with the damage she does, but the lack of damage she takes. I always find her dodge rate is so high that it makes the Chimeras look sluggish, so some turns I find myself doing less than half the damage she regenerates without letting her cast Bolt on more than half the Force.

*Slaps forehead* And of course, shame on me for forgetting Elliot... I wouldn't rank him as the hardest, as his battle is more about endurance with crossing the terrain and making sure you don't get overwhelmed (as well as making sure you get the Heat Axe wielding Lizardman before he gets you), but it's certainly a challenge. Once you've got to Elliot, I find it's more or less the same as Ramladu and Kane; reason why I'd rank Ramladu as the harder of the three is that you're immediately surrounded by enemies whereas you get the chance to prepare yourself for Kane and Elliots' armies.
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos » Fri Aug 24 2007 3:42pm

Mishaela is a piece of cake if you manage to get the Sword of Light out of the treasure chest using a flying character. Just make sure you stay out of the way of the Bolt range of both Mishaela and the belials. Give the Sword of Light to Max and let him go head to head with Mishaela. With a little bit of luck he can take her out in 2 blows with the help from your other long range characters.
Chaos

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Sully » Fri Aug 24 2007 6:51pm

I have to say the Mishaela battle. Every single time I play SF1, I hate doing that battle. I don't really know why, but I'm inclined to blame the terrain. I hate the way the castle is set up, how I can't just go straight to her...And then she goes and f#cks everyone with bolt!

Give the Sword of Light to Max and let him go head to head with Mishaela. With a little bit of luck he can take her out in 2 blows with the help from your other long range characters.

I have never once thought of doing that...jesus sully get it together.
"If all the humans are annihilated, that's ok. It's their destiny."

Fight my Brute!
Social Networking Rules Our Lives
"If all the humans are annihilated, that's ok. It's their destiny."

Fight my Brute!
Social Networking Rules Our Lives
Sully

shining philiac
Shining Member

Next

Return to Shining Force