Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Which Boss gave you the most trouble?

Your first playthrough.

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: Which Boss gave you the most trouble?

Postby Darksol » Sat Sep 01 2007 8:56am

That darn Marionette was pretty much impossible the first time I played. Took me 3 tries before I realized you could use the power ring. After that, Luke pretty much handed it it's ass.
VoxPVoxD @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:40 pm wrote: hey, let's go do some racism
VoxPVoxD @ Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:40 pm wrote: hey, let's go do some racism
Darksol

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Shadow Angel » Fri Sep 07 2007 12:27am

Mishaela or the Colossus battle since both of them gave me a hard time. The first time I played through the game.
"Her fate is foretold by the whispers of the trees." - Forest Of Fate

"How much longer can I stand not being by your side? Seeing you is like a dream, one that I wish never to wake up from."

"Just once in my life I think it'd be nice, just to lose control just once, with all the pretty flowers in the dust, it's true were all a little insane"

"Souma, have you ever eaten trash in an alley? have you ever been backstabbed by someone you thought was your friend Have you ever gotten down on your knees to beg for your life from someone you hate so much you want to kill him? you wouldn't would you your fine with that I want you to walk the path where sun shines a life with a warm peaceful path that's why I left you." - Tsubasa
"Her fate is foretold by the whispers of the trees." - Forest Of Fate

"How much longer can I stand not being by your side? Seeing you is like a dream, one that I wish never to wake up from."

"Just once in my life I think it'd be nice, just to lose control just once, with all the pretty flowers in the dust, it's true were all a little insane"

"Souma, have you ever eaten trash in an alley? have you ever been backstabbed by someone you thought was your friend Have you ever gotten down on your knees to beg for your life from someone you hate so much you want to kill him? you wouldn't would you your fine with that I want you to walk the path where sun shines a life with a warm peaceful path that's why I left you." - Tsubasa
Shadow Angel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knifelord » Sun Sep 09 2007 7:40am

For me it was Collosus, I hated that thing
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

SF1 solos finished: Bleu, Domingo, Gong, Musashi
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

SF1 solos finished: Bleu, Domingo, Gong, Musashi
knifelord

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dark Link » Sun Sep 09 2007 3:43pm

Well, I disliked the colossus battle, but it wasn't an easy battle, so yeah. Chimera aren't my favorite thing to see first thing in a battle.
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Babelet » Mon Sep 10 2007 2:21am

On my first playthrough, I kept getting Max killed by Chaos. I'm not sure why that was such a difficult battle for me. I did pretty well with all of the other bosses, but Chaos kept hitting him with his laser attack and Max's defense doesn't work against it.

On my later playthroughs I had a lot more trouble with Mishaela or Ramladu due to their minions tiring out my force before I made it to them. This is probably because I have this strange habit of actually killing all enemies before tackling the boss.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

"It is easy to judge evil unmixed. But, alas, in most of us good and bad are closely woven as the threads on a loom; greater wisdom than mine is needed for the judging." The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

"It is easy to judge evil unmixed. But, alas, in most of us good and bad are closely woven as the threads on a loom; greater wisdom than mine is needed for the judging." The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander
Babelet

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dark Link » Tue Sep 11 2007 4:34am

It's not strange to rout the enemies before you kill the boss. It's basic, well, strategy. If you kill minions before the boss, you don't have to worry about minions during the boss. Plus, it's good EXP for your guys.
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Johnler » Tue Sep 11 2007 9:35am

The marionette was a face full of pwnage to me when I 1st played.

Played sf2 before I touched sf1, and I believe she's the 1st character you battle that randomly recovers HP. That was pretty annoying and I hate it. xD
Cool beans.
Cool beans.
Johnler

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Wed Sep 12 2007 10:24pm

Uh, beg your pardon, but it is NOT random. She recovers exactly 7 HP every turn, without fail. The same goes for all the other bosses which recover HP, simply with different set amounts of HP. There are no characters in the Shining series which randomly recover HP.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Blood and Horns » Thu Sep 13 2007 8:03pm

Oh god, the marionette. Everyone was level 4-5, and Freeze 3 was the death of me.
Bondn ondrast ken følgje fø va, dao børi kom nerare fekk han svar.
Oppi kjistao laog grandn sin far, likblainke, velstelde, daue han va.
Bondn taig om dinna hiska hendingi, skolde verkle dauen ta grandn sin far?
To nete gjikk å bondn fekk svar,
fø ve kvelda feetabeel henta dauen grandn sin far.
Likbøri stemde. Faren va daue

Radford Bones, GLDT level 17| HP: 94/94 | EXP: 0
Bondn ondrast ken følgje fø va, dao børi kom nerare fekk han svar.
Oppi kjistao laog grandn sin far, likblainke, velstelde, daue han va.
Bondn taig om dinna hiska hendingi, skolde verkle dauen ta grandn sin far?
To nete gjikk å bondn fekk svar,
fø ve kvelda feetabeel henta dauen grandn sin far.
Likbøri stemde. Faren va daue

Radford Bones, GLDT level 17| HP: 94/94 | EXP: 0
Blood and Horns

BEWARE: Viking
Shining Hero

Postby Rusty » Thu Sep 13 2007 9:32pm

I honestly can't remember my first playthrough that well. It was so long ago...

But I'm sure I had a lot of trouble against the Marionette, and probably a fair amount of trouble against Mishaela too, what with her crazy high evade rate and all.
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby GK84 » Mon Sep 17 2007 3:20am

marionette battle. unless you have spent some time leveling you characters, it tends to beat up on you quite a bit. then there is mishaela, seh destroyed my force twice before i beat her. it wasnt helping that i was using more mages then tanks.
Life is to short to be taken seriously.
-Oscar Wilde-
Life is to short to be taken seriously.
-Oscar Wilde-
GK84

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby The Shiningmaster » Mon Sep 17 2007 9:03am

That darned "Laser Eye" just because I hate that piece of the game.
I ussualy level-up during the battle for the "Lunar Dew" and then I speed through the two following battles.
Mostly "Ramladu" I hate the most with his "Droid Army" grrr, ...bleeeep... (laserbeam hitting the * out of everyone)
"Evil Shines Darkest In The Dawn"
"Evil Shines Darkest In The Dawn"

Postby Psychotichaotic » Mon Sep 17 2007 11:14pm

Easily the marionette battle, and the Laser eye battle. I had actually played bits and pieces of SF2 before I had even seen SF1, so I had a little bit of a taste for the way battles went, but man, that marionette battle killed me. The constant poisoning, and then the freeze spells, I had a real rough time with it. It didn't help that I really didn't know anything about power leveling. I was severly under-leveled for the fight.
Laser Eye, well chalk that up to inexperience. I didn't understand that there was a dramatic drop in stats after promotion in SF1, thus I had all these strong characters who were kicking butt, suddenly equate to nothing. Plus I promoted them at level 10...yeah...inexperience....Pegasus knights, Silver knights, and Lizardmen, oh my!!
What the Devil?!?!?!?!?! :devil: :shock:
What the Devil?!?!?!?!?! :devil: :shock:

Postby Johnler » Tue Sep 18 2007 6:34am

Psychotichaotic @ Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:14 pm) wrote: Plus I promoted them at level 10...yeah...inexperience....Pegasus knights, Silver knights, and Lizardmen, oh my!!

My 1st time playing I promoted them at level 10-11 also... but when they got promoted it was right before the Elliot battle.. that was way more difficult than it had to be. xD
Cool beans.
Cool beans.
Johnler

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby GNORN » Tue Sep 18 2007 9:46am

When I did my first solo (Max) I got whacked by the zombies in the final battle. Until I read somewhere (gamefaqs?) that they only spawn like 20 times. So after killing them all, that made the battle hell of a lot easier.
Shining in the Darkness
Facing the Trial of Truth
Shining in the Darkness
Facing the Trial of Truth
GNORN

BANNED
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Tue Sep 18 2007 11:21pm

Psychotichaotic @ Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:14 pm) wrote: Plus I promoted them at level 10...yeah...inexperience....Pegasus knights, Silver knights, and Lizardmen, oh my!!

Meh, I find the game is still very easy when promoting at level 10. The only reason to promote at level 20(or at any level above 10, for that matter) is to max out your characters.

Besides, if you were indeed not power-leveling, I think that delayed promotions would have actually made the game much harder. With a level 20 promotions, that's 10 levels to go with your characters - who already have disproportionately low stats due to slow growth within that range - armed with inferior weapons. That's a mighty long hard road to go just so that you can have the post-promotion drop in stats occur in the vicinity of the Kane and Mishaela battles.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby max8956 » Wed Sep 19 2007 6:16am

Actually, my first time through, Mishella, Balbazak and Dark Dragon gave me the most trouble.

Of course, I was only 9 then, and it was the first RPG I played, but I still don't understand how Balbazak, and even Dark Dragon gave me so much trouble.

And for some reason, I remember getting through Elliot in 1 try in that first playthrough.
max8956

Postby Martin III » Wed Sep 19 2007 10:53pm

max8956 @ Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:16 am) wrote: Of course, I was only 9 then, and it was the first RPG I played, but I still don't understand how Balbazak, and even Dark Dragon gave me so much trouble.

Dark Dragon has a lot of firepower, i.e. his attacks cover a wide range and deal a lot of damage. If you're careless enough to place a character in one of the spaces that two of his heads can reach, you're looking at guaranteed death. I can see how that would be daunting to a 9-year-old. It often takes young gamers a while to appreciate the value of healing spells and items.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Bowie72 » Thu Sep 20 2007 2:53am

The first time I fought Dark Dragon was kinda hard, I hadn't really levelled up too much throughout the game, and Lowe was the only healer I had in my party, and I think he was only level 7 or 8 after promoting at 10. :/
Bowie72

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Rusty » Thu Sep 20 2007 5:48am

Laser Eye battle is a joke - one of the easiest battles in the game. All you have to do is be patient and then victory is yours. Once you learn that the Laser Eye will even target the enemies and shoot then, the battle becomes so disturbingly easy it's not even funny. It actually clears the bridge for you if you are able to sit through that wait.

The Laser Eye itself gives a ton of experience, though its Defense is absurdly high. It's an ideal training spot for a solo.
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force