Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Which Boss gave you the most trouble?

Your first playthrough.

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: Which Boss gave you the most trouble?

Postby GNORN » Thu Sep 20 2007 11:53pm

Rusty @ Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:48 am) wrote: Laser Eye battle is a joke - one of the easiest battles in the game. All you have to do is be patient and then victory is yours. Once you learn that the Laser Eye will even target the enemies and shoot then, the battle becomes so disturbingly easy it's not even funny. It actually clears the bridge for you if you are able to sit through that wait.

The Laser Eye itself gives a ton of experience, though its Defense is absurdly high. It's an ideal training spot for a solo.

Yup, allthough waiting for it to kill off all the enemies on the bridge never crossed my mind :eyebrow:

I tried to attack some enemies and when the Lasereye fired, stood on one of the bulges of the bridge.
Shining in the Darkness
Facing the Trial of Truth
Shining in the Darkness
Facing the Trial of Truth
GNORN

BANNED
Shining Member

Postby Solby » Fri Sep 21 2007 12:07am

Bowie72 @ Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:53 pm) wrote: The first time I fought Dark Dragon was kinda hard, I hadn't really levelled up too much throughout the game, and Lowe was the only healer I had in my party, and I think he was only level 7 or 8 after promoting at 10. :/

Lol

I've never had a healer reach that high a level.
I guess it comes down to a simple choice really.... get busy living, or get busy dying.
I guess it comes down to a simple choice really.... get busy living, or get busy dying.
Solby

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby mayojohnny » Thu Mar 05 2009 1:42am

In hindsight, its easy to overlook the Marionette given the relatively low HP involved, but its the most difficult boss in terms of the first playthrough in my opinion. I'm glad to see it makes the top 3 or 4 in most members opinions. Prior to fighting it, no other enemy regained HP without casting a spell (heal or medical herb), so i remember thinking what the f**k? after hitting it and expecting lower HP on the next turn!!
It was a real test of natural turn based ablility for the player on their first playthrough.
Of course now, it is not a tactically difficult battle, especially when you know what ur up against, and don't handicap urself by not equipping the power ring!!! (which i did)
But for sure, looking back on my first playthrough, the Marionette was a killer boss.
mayojohnny

Postby sulfuroxp » Thu Mar 05 2009 2:10am

dark dragon >_>

10 years playing, but a year a go, i can to finish him :thumbsup:

and marionete... freeze >_>
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby koga777 » Thu Mar 05 2009 9:56pm

no contest marrionett....on my first playthru i got totally wiped out...so it took me a week of power leveling to get all my characters promoted then i believe i got them to level 5? or so and the battle was pretty easy then :mwahaha:
critical mass wrote:That Balbaroy, what a thunder c**t.

chaos wizard wrote:Just imagine the possibilities. You could just fold some of that lard over your junk virtually anywhere on her, and with the help of a little lube. You've got yourself an improvised vagina.

sho wrote:Power of jizz compels you, bitch!
critical mass wrote:That Balbaroy, what a thunder c**t.

chaos wizard wrote:Just imagine the possibilities. You could just fold some of that lard over your junk virtually anywhere on her, and with the help of a little lube. You've got yourself an improvised vagina.

sho wrote:Power of jizz compels you, bitch!
koga777

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Balbaroy » Thu Mar 05 2009 10:11pm

koga777 @ Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 pm) wrote: no contest marrionett....on my first playthru i got totally wiped out...so it took me a week of power leveling to get all my characters promoted then i believe i got them to level 5? or so and the battle was pretty easy then :mwahaha:

Uhh... Arthur comes at Level 4 and I think Anri does too. It took you a week to power level to 5?

Unless you mean 5 Promoted, then, well you're insane. By level 7 unpromoted the Marionette should be a cakewalk.
Proud MD Bro, Medical Marvel and Team CP Member.
Balbaroy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby musashiii » Wed Mar 11 2009 10:52pm

for me its a deadlock between the marrionette and the colossus, but i think it goes to the colossus. reason being, it was not possible to even reach the colossus before your force is decimated by blue dragons and chimaeras. i hate chimaeras anyway, but in the colossus battle they are a whole new kind of deadly. that said, balbazak gave me some trouble too. but not Kane or Mishaela.
musashiii

Postby Flygon » Thu Mar 12 2009 8:33am

The boss that gave me the most trouble on my first playthrough is definitly the Marionette, but Elliot, Balbazark (Didn't know he didn't move) and Mishaelia were also the devil way back when.

Nowadays the only boss that gives me trouble is... well, none of them. All you need to do is gang up on them and they are screwed. :(

Even Marionette is easy, just only surround him with 3 people and he cannot freeze you (Great for the minimal party challenge).
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did
Destructiox: ;_;
Flygon: Wiz actually got in the chopper
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did
Destructiox: ;_;
Flygon: Wiz actually got in the chopper
Flygon

Powered by Jets
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Mar 16 2009 1:29pm

I guess I would have to say the Colossus battle since I got stuck on that battle from being too weak due to late promotion thanks to having gotten far enough to promote in Shining Force 2 before this one :( I would have leveled enough eventually from gaining bits of experience from the little damage I was doing to the enemies to beat the battle, but I didn't have enough time since it was a rental.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Drakonis » Mon Mar 16 2009 2:36pm

The hardest battle at my first playthrough (and in general IMO) is the marionette. I wonder why so many peoply stated mishaela was, because I never had real troubles killing her. She isn't easy by any means, but freeze 3 on the marionette battle with two turns per round and hp regen (especially if you don't now that bosses do!) AND infinity amounts of MP makes the fight very challenging. Kane comes second IMO. Desoul and extremely high attack sucks hard. and the durahans aren't that weak enemies at that point, too (the other enemies in that battle aren't very strong, anyways).
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Bustoke Man » Sat Mar 21 2009 5:33am

Once I saw the Marionette take out Arthur, Tao, Anri, and Gort in one freeze spell I lost hope. Max died about five times before I won, and basically everyone turned into a walking ember.
I wish I could join the Shining Force . . . or do I?
Bustoke Man

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Mar 21 2009 4:35pm

I am really glad to see all of the acknowledgement of Marionette. That boss was incredibly difficult on the first play through. Not only does he go at you with completely unforseen and unexpected abilities like auto healing and super high evasion, but his stats and spell are much greater than anything you have to face up until that point. Compared to other bosses in the game he's rather crummy, but the reason I felt he was so tough on the first play through is because the game up until that point doesn't prepare you in the least for dealing with such an enemy.]

*Edit for typos.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Dark Link » Sat Mar 21 2009 8:13pm

Yeah, it's like a bunch of crap and then oh damn, Marionette. He was pretty hard, even for a crummy boss overall.
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby zexxar » Sat Mar 21 2009 10:30pm

I think that the Marionette was so hard during everyone's first playthrough because it's strength and the strong Freeze 3 spell really surprised you. But futhermore there was another big problem, at least for me, this was that I didn't knew that Freeze 3 can't hit if a charcters stands next to the Marionette and another thing was I wasn't aware of the fact that you can use the Power Ring to boost the attack.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Mar 22 2009 1:19am

Dark Link @ Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:13 pm) wrote: Yeah, it's like a bunch of crap and then oh damn, Marionette. He was pretty hard, even for a crummy boss overall.

Yeah, overall he is really crummy. But at least when fighting other bosses you're then ready for their level of strength and special abilities, and that is what I think made most of them a bit easier on the first play through. He would have been the toughest for me my first time through if I knew I could promote at level 10.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Tue Mar 24 2009 10:56pm

Not to mention, as I recall the rest of the circus battle is ridiculously easy. And Marionette's overworld sprite(which is all you see of him until he unleashes that first deadly attack) doesn't look that different from the other enemy overworld sprites. His frightening power really comes as a shock.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Mar 25 2009 12:37am

Martin III @ Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:56 pm) wrote: Not to mention, as I recall the rest of the circus battle is ridiculously easy. And Marionette's overworld sprite(which is all you see of him until he unleashes that first deadly attack) doesn't look that different from the other enemy overworld sprites. His frightening power really comes as a shock.

Oh yeah, I definately found that battle to be the easiest chapter 2 battle with the exception of Marionette.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ehow22 » Wed Mar 25 2009 2:23am

DomingoRules! @ Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:37 pm) wrote: Oh yeah, I definately found that battle to be the easiest chapter 2 battle with the exception of Marionette.

I think it's possible to kill him before he gets a chance to attack, but you would have to be lucky.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Bustoke Man » Wed Mar 25 2009 4:55am

I think it's possible to kill him before he gets a chance to attack, but you would have to be lucky.

Actually, I've done that before. I just killed every other enemy, made Gort, Luke, and Gong attack him (I believe she's a "her", isn't she?) up front, and had Anri, Tao, Arthur, Mae and Ken attack from the outside. A few critical hits, and it's done! I believe everyone was level ten (unpromoted) at that time.
Bustoke Man

Postby Balbaroy » Wed Mar 25 2009 6:09am

Being a doll, the proper pronoun would be it. The Marionette is genderless.
Balbaroy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force