Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 7/4/18 (v3.4.5)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby projectego » Tue May 07 2019 9:27am

Siel wrote:Here's a fix for extended classes having reversed max level settings:
patch (use it on an edited ROM)

Thank you very much for the fix, Siel.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

(Romans 12:1-2)
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Tue May 07 2019 11:52pm

Problem is it seems to only work once though. If you go back and make changes to the rom in the editor again afterwards it undoes the fix and trying to reapply it to the rom again doesn't work.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Thu May 09 2019 3:44am

If you already have the ROM loaded in the Editor and apply the patch, you'll have to reload the ROM into the Editor before continuing editing. The reason is that the data loaded into the Editor remains as the pre-patched data and therefore saving in the Editor again (even if not the class section) will override the changes made by the patch.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ianrace » Thu Jul 11 2019 9:04pm

Hello.

I'm a long time lurker who's been working on a SF project for the last few years.

Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble saving my hack with the Editor. It crashes whenever I try to save. I have been able to reproduce this problem in Windows 7 and Linux running under Wine.

Steps taken:

1. Expand rom to 4096 KB
2. Change names, spells, items, slight alteration to font, save after each.
3. Dialogue editor
4. Decompress text
5. Import txt file script. So far, everything looks fine.
6. Save. About 57% of the way through the save, SF1 Editor crashes.

The txt file I am injecting is larger (200.7 K vs 136.4 K of the original), but has the same number of lines. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
ianrace

Postby Red_Shine » Thu Jul 18 2019 10:43pm

Does the editor break SRAM support in some way? I'm not sure what's the Mega Drive's correct SRAM size is, but it doesn't seem to save correctly (I'm playing Shining Force: Alternate by Erkin84.
Red_Shine

Postby DarkKobold » Mon Aug 05 2019 10:02pm

Does Rubxicuber still come around?

The editor seems like it would be great to make a randomizer, much like LTTPR or FF4FE.
DarkKobold

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Fri Sep 06 2019 7:16pm

DarkKobold wrote:The editor seems like it would be great to make a randomizer, much like LTTPR or FF4FE.

Sounds pretty cool. I'm not super familiar with randomizers, but I think that the editor should be able to hand what you're looking for. Definitely give it a try, and let us know how you get on.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Fri Sep 06 2019 10:38pm

I'm not familiar with the specific games mentioned (or even randomizers in general that much), but I think the typical idea of randomizers usually can encompass changes to not only character stats, but also to other things such as the gameplay and item/option availability. Framed around SF1, that could mean randomizing chest contents, shop inventories, enemies in each battle, the properties and behaviors of those enemies, the order characters join in, and maybe even the order chapters (and therefore battle maps) are played in.

Well, that last one is probably out of the scope of a simple editor, but some of the rest does seem as straightforward as what the current randomizer does.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Force