Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 7/4/18 (v3.4.5)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby Tyadran » Fri May 25 2018 9:17pm

I believe all battle sprites were broken with Extended on, when I was testing it.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Fri May 25 2018 9:18pm

Whoops. Well, it's the same easy fix if so. I'll check that right away.

Edit: I think it's all working?
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Fri May 25 2018 9:21pm

Just for clarification, here is the bug list I had previously passed onto RC: http://sfmods.com/forums/f20/?prefix_id=12

If anyone would care to elaborate on the bugs I've highlighted, then that can only help RC.

@RC: Would it be okay if I uploaded a download mirror to the sfmods website? I'd like to archive all versions going forward if that's cool with you. (Hard drive failures are not fun)
Last edited by projectego on Sun May 27 2018 12:26am, edited 1 time in total.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Fri May 25 2018 9:36pm

Sure, upload whatever you want.

Also, what the heck...

Testing out a Discord group for the editor. Maybe people can network in a more organized way and get a hold of me.

Edit: Removing the link because bots were grabbing it. Message me to get an invite.
Last edited by rubixcuber on Wed Jun 06 2018 9:14am, edited 2 times in total.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Fri May 25 2018 10:25pm

Can't do much right now.
Let's just say it's a happy happy day! :)
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Fri May 25 2018 11:06pm

This release definitely removes a lot of the previous boundaries. I know that the town/map sprite issue was a particular bane for some. I'm going to run a quick test now.

Also, happy birthday, Lobo! Mine was last week, but it feels like it's swung right back around again! ;)
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Fri May 25 2018 11:25pm

I’m so excited I can’t even finish my
Erikin84

Postby projectego » Sat May 26 2018 12:07am

Just to pass on a quick message from Erikin84 via RC's new Discord channel - it seems that the town/map editor issue has been completely fixed!

I'll be in the Discord channel from approx. 7:00 P.M. GMT onwards, so hope to see more of you there. Cheers!
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Sat May 26 2018 1:39am

projectego wrote:Just to pass on a quick message from Erikin84 via RC's new Discord channel - it seems that the town/map editor issue has been completely fixed!

I'll be in the Discord channel from approx. 7:00 P.M. GMT onwards, so hope to see more of you there. Cheers!

It appears to have opened another hole, unfortunately. After saving in the map editor, when you go to Guardiana Castle(the exit at the top of the map) it sends you outside of the town... I have other savestates so i'm gonna try other areas and see what happens

Edit:
I used a savestate at dragonia, Rudo, and Bustoke, every time you enter a door/stairs to enter a different area of the map, it takes you outside of town
Erikin84

Postby Siel » Sat May 26 2018 4:59am

RC's back! Yay!

I was actually thinking about learning programming to build a supplementary editor with minor things in the interim, but I guess that won't be necessary anymore (and I had no idea how to get started anyway).

Meanwhile, I did manage to finally figure out how to get multiple outfits per character working, so I'll share it here.

SF1 Multiple Outfits

How to use:
1. Use the SF1 Editor to expand the ROM and add multiple outfits per character (requiring different items)
2. Save these changes
3. Apply the above patch to the ROM (maybe make a backup first too)
4. Test out the outfit feature in-game
5. Repatching the ROM every time it gets saved again in the editor might be necessary

Characters should now be able to trigger more than only the first listed outfit if they have the proper item in their inventory. The resulting outfit when multiple matching items are in the inventory depends on the item slot order (probably).
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Sat May 26 2018 6:33am

Well, if I'd put out a 100% perfect update in rush after being gone so long I'd have been surprised. Whoops.

I stuck the crash fix one line lower than it should have been where it interrupted the map exit loading which is what broke the map transitions.

This hotfix should correct all of that now, but if you saved in the map editor in v2.12.7 it probably ate all of your map exits so... hope you took my backup advice. Sorry!

Update

v2.12.8 - 5/25/2018
[Maps]
* Corrected map fix from the previous update, 2.12.7 fixed the crash but was dropping the map exits on load.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Erikin84 » Sat May 26 2018 6:53am

rubixcuber wrote:Well, if I'd put out a 100% perfect update in rush after being gone so long I'd have been surprised. Whoops.

I stuck the crash fix one line lower than it should have been where it interrupted the map exit loading which is what broke the map transitions.

This hotfix should correct all of that now, but if you saved in the map editor in v2.12.7 it probably ate all of your map exits so... hope you took my backup advice. Sorry!

Update

v2.12.8 - 5/25/2018
[Maps]
* Corrected map fix from the previous update, 2.12.7 fixed the crash but was dropping the map exits on load.

You know it, I keep backups of my backups......backup-inception :thumbsup:
Erikin84

Postby Lobo » Sat May 26 2018 8:57am

projectego wrote:Also, happy birthday, Lobo! Mine was last week, but it feels like it's swung right back around again! ;)

No, it's not my birthday.
It's just yhe 'rebirthday' of Rubix that makes it very happy! :excited: :shifty:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Tue May 29 2018 12:32am

rubixcuber wrote:Been a while, eh?

I apologize for the absence, been feeling the need to spend my free time on some other things for the moment and try to improve some other parts of my life but I definitely shouldn't have dropped off so abruptly. (Though honestly I did that because I knew as soon as I checked back in I'd get sucked back into it!)

That being said, while I am temporarily not intending to work on new features I do think I need to at least get the existing features closer to bug free.

So I come back with a gift...

Update

v2.12.7 - 5/25/2018
[Characters]
* When using extended characters, everyone should use their proper battle sprites now
* Debug option added to reset promoted battle sprites
[Items]
* When using extended items, non-extended items should not be destroyed because of the 'Sell to Deals' flag being set
[Scripting]
* New 'Check Force for Item' nodes should save properly
[Maps]
* Saving in the map editor after having saved dialog scripts should no longer lead to npc crashes

I didn't have a lot of time to test super thoroughly, so as always back up and let me know if I goofed.

I think that covers most of the major glitches at least.

Welcome back Rubixcuber. :) My prayers have been answered...Oh thank you Lord...I'm so happy I could almost cry right now...

I'm not mad I'm just glad you're back man! T_T I've been praying really hard for you.

Anyway yes, the editor is still in need of some updates and fixes. I have but one request as of now. Can you please make Map Sprites as easy to edit as Battle Sprites? I don't know if you were aware but as it is right now only the colors of Battle Sprites can be changed manually. The ones the Map Sprites use all share colors with a lot of other stuff in the game for some reason. If you try to edit the colors on one character it will recolor every other character in the game and make them look really funky along with a bunch of other stuff.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Tue May 29 2018 3:56am

Well, that's because that's how the game works. They only used two palettes for all of the map sprites. There's very little I can do about that. The thing is, the Genesis can only have a few palettes loaded at once. For the battle sprites they can dedicate one to that, since there's a fixed number on the screen. But with the map sprites they are all visible at once, so the only real way to do it was to share a palette.

Have to remember, these old consoles are working with some pretty tough limitations compared to anything today. The original SF1 basically fit on a floppy disk.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby monkbarron » Tue May 29 2018 6:41am

I found a bug. When I go to attack as Sonic in my 12 MM hack, it says, 'The Medical Herb made a strange sound' then, 'Nothing happened!'
:sleep: Z Will Always Dominate Any SF TAS :sleep:
:sleep: Z Will Always Dominate Any SF TAS :sleep:
monkbarron

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Tue May 29 2018 6:55am

Not a bug. Judging by the ROM shared in the discord, you changed his class's attack type from a normal attack to type 3. If you change it back to 0 it will work fine.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Tue May 29 2018 2:26pm

rubixcuber wrote:Well, that's because that's how the game works. They only used two palettes for all of the map sprites. There's very little I can do about that. The thing is, the Genesis can only have a few palettes loaded at once. For the battle sprites they can dedicate one to that, since there's a fixed number on the screen. But with the map sprites they are all visible at once, so the only real way to do it was to share a palette.

Have to remember, these old consoles are working with some pretty tough limitations compared to anything today. The original SF1 basically fit on a floppy disk.

That's too bad. But thank you for telling me.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Tue Jun 05 2018 12:28am

v3.0.0 - 6/4/2018
[Graphics]
* Expanded graphics are available to make use of the full 6MB expansion for more graphics space
* Portrait animations can be imported and exported via clipboard
[Scripting]
* The 'Branch on Yes/No' node should have it's branches labeled correctly when added as a new node
* Labeled two of the unknowns in the Battle Exit scripts
* Delayed loading removed. This should resolve a handful of inconsistant map related bugs
[Battle]
* New force member starting spaces should no longer stack up, making them difficult to locate
* Enemy number of selected enemy displayed
[Characters]
* Can no longer select extended classes from the dropdown menu even when they aren't there
[Mechanics]
* With 'Jogurt Levels' set, Jogurt increases stats for starting level properly even if Expanded Characters aren't used
* With 'Jogurt Levels' set, the Jogurt character slot should be able to promote properly
* Option to fix the muddle effect, giving the character an accuracy and evasion debuff
[Classes]
* When using expanded classes the max level uses the unpromoted class if the class has a promotion set, otherwise it uses the promoted cap
[Characters]
* Can set the 'promoted at' level for characters, affecting EXP gain
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Tue Jun 05 2018 1:30pm

That's really a great update! :excited: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext