Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 7/4/18 (v3.4.5)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Jun 23 2018 4:26am

Awesome update. All I can say is keep up the great work.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Jul 02 2018 5:18am

Update

v3.4.0 - 7/1/2018
[Scripting]
* New script section for World Cutscene scripts
* Fixed an issue with multi-branch nodes not working right with the new scripting engine
* Labeled the Unknown 3 node as a Cutscene Trigger
* Added 'Set Active Member' node to Battle Start Scripts
* Fixed an issue with Chapter Start Scripts not executing properly
* Dead/Dying check nodes that have been added should function and display their branches properly
[Maps]
* Can use scroll wheel to scroll NPC scripts
* Fixed a few issues with NPC scripts that went longer than 64 bytes
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Mon Jul 02 2018 5:19am

Sweetness!
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Jul 02 2018 6:12pm

Quick hotfix.

v3.4.1 - 7/2/2018
[Scripting]
* Battle Start and World Cutscene sections display the extra disconnect buttons when editing nodes
* Fixed an issue with the new loop system that was breaking the last Battle End script
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Mon Jul 02 2018 7:11pm

Thanks for the speedy hotfix!
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Tue Jul 03 2018 8:08pm

Update

Another pretty major scripting update. Mostly on the UI / usability end though rather than changing the actual saving/loading so shouldn't be adding any new script bugs at least.

v3.4.2 - 7/3/2018
[Scripting]
* Added advanced node selections to all scripting types
* Clear Portrait node added to dialogue scripting
* Tile copying nodes added to battle end scripting
* Shift to reconnect other branch works in all sets now, not just dialogue
* Can hold shift and click+drag to select multiple nodes
* Can copy/paste selected groups of nodes
* Can save and load groups of nodes as macros
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Wed Jul 04 2018 12:25am

Sounds pretty sweet!
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Wed Jul 04 2018 2:48am

Quick hotfix

v3.4.3 - 7/3/2018
[Scripting]
* Help text for nodes should work properly
* New Exit script check nodes should no longer break/crash
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Wed Jul 04 2018 4:56am

Nice.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Thu Jul 05 2018 4:37pm

v3.4.4 - 7/5/2018
[Scripting]
* Clear Event nodes are labeled properly
* Copy/Paste and macros no longer break saves
* Clicking a node that isn't part of a multi-select clears the multi select
* Scripts use a new layout when loading that avoids branches crossing over lines and keeps most related sections closer together
[Map]
* NPC scripts stay on the last accessed script
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Jul 05 2018 4:40pm

Excellent progress as always. :)
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby katgirlfeli » Sat Jul 21 2018 10:32pm

Well looking at it, there's been quite the changes. The entire scripting system seems really fleshed out right now though I don't know how easy it is to mess around with, but could lead for some interesting stuff (mainly changing the game and perhaps moving certain units away from the end game and having them be obtainable a bit earlier for example).

Has adding new chests ever been fixed? I feel like this option would be the hardest to handle since I think it would require modifying how the game saves its games (to make sure chests are flagged to have been opened or unopened so they can't be reopened, and that chests point to the right flags, as I remember if I forcefully added items, other chests would appear opened due to the flags). Since I don't see any option for that I suppose that's not a good option.

Expanded items AND Expanded monsters! This is very nice. I had to replace and pick and choose a lot of items and monsters to move around to add new ones, but now there's actually room to add some creative touches without sacrificing other things. That would also be neat for "Armors" if one chose to add those in the game, not that there's much you can do with them, such as modify resistances to elements/status/evasion, or of course raise defense, which alone might not be so great if I have to re-balance gold and def values to account for them. Makes me wish Shining Force had more options originally for that. I just noticed expanded units was there too, just in case the 30 original weren't enough.

While Spells have been expanded, there still aren't enough slots for me, then again there weren't very many special affects to really assign everything.

Shops can now be expanded. I don't think there ever were any shops that officially had more than one row of items in Shining Force 1. Perhaps it was still programmed in normally due to the Deals shop having far more than 6 items that could appear in there, so perhaps it'll work just fine for adding more options to the shops.

Extended Classes might be a bit much for me, since making the graphics would be a bit rough. It could help make Domingo be a bit more balanced by giving him a normal promotion (even if his sprite doesn't change). The AI priority option is a nice find though!

Still no option to change how strong the "Special Attack" like HP/MP steal actually steals since these were hard coded, would probably be annoying to set these as a potential variable for different moves, wherever they're coded.

I can't tell what the "Add New Effects" button does. I was able to add more effects previously in older versions so I'm not sure what this checkmark does. I found what "Fix Double Attack Settings" does but what exactly are the "High" and "Level Bonus" settings?

In any case, that's a lot to look over with a lot of work having been done over the years. At the very least, there's a lot of expansion to make for some nice changes, especially with how far the scripting system seems to have gotten, which could change a lot of things, or even make small changes (though not sure if it can set flags and what flags are available, if any when the game is saved.) Since you were able to pull off "Expanded Characters" then you must have figured out how saving the game works to some extent, which could give hope to assigning flags to chests to allow the placement of more item boxes in the game, if its not already there and I just can't see it.

Great work as always!
katgirlfeli

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Thu Aug 30 2018 4:26am

I don't think this has been brought up yet, but newly-added "Check Character Present" nodes won't work properly in Battle Start scripts. Copy and paste one from the vanilla scripts instead if you need one, as it will work properly.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Eliaquim » Sat Dec 08 2018 10:24pm

Hi there!
I have one SF1EDITOR that have an option in the character to put:
"Promoted at" and then put the number of the level.
But i download the latest version 3.4.4 and i cannot found this option. Can anyone help me?
Eliaquim

Postby Lobo » Mon Dec 10 2018 11:47am

I think it appears only with extended characters, or maybe with extended classes.
Just tick the checkboxes and you'll see.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Eliaquim » Tue Dec 11 2018 4:57pm

Lobo wrote:I think it appears only with extended characters, or maybe with extended classes.
Just tick the checkboxes and you'll see.

Its fixed now. It seems to be the name of the rom, i have changed.
So i put it back to "Shining Force" and the option is show again.
Eliaquim

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Jan 03 2019 1:15am

I have a few suggestions for the next update. Well actually they're requests too...

1. Please fix Extended Classes so that unpromoted characters reach Level 20 while Promoted ones reach 99 as they should.
2. Please fix Extended Characters so that the characters will have their correct sprites and palettes in HQ. There are still some other bugs too.
3. Please give us the option to edit weapon sprite palettes with right-click via weapon sprite screen. I really want to be able to actually see what the heck I'm doing when changing the colors of one.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Force