Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor enemy does not no anything?

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

SF1 Editor enemy does not no anything?

Postby Vegeta9001 » Sun Jan 02 2011 2:00pm

I don't know why this is hapening i never have this problem on any other battle map so far.

Alright so i edited this battle.

http://img213.imageshack.us/i/sf1editorbugs.jpg/

As you can see even if all my team is right beside them, they just don't do anything!

Right after i get past a certin point in the map which is where the desert start, every single enemy just stop dead on they track and goes into a zombie mode where they are just waiting to die...

I don't understand it's extremely strange because if i get only one character back down the map in the plain the enemy start moving again and all is good, then i take back this character in the desert part and the enemy does not do anything anymore...

So i wonder why the enemy are doing this there are some kind of script or a event on this map? It's pissing me off!

Here my Monsters AI for all of them have the same thing.

Number of Behaviors: 1

Triggers...

XO
OX
XX
XX

Action: 1
Value 1: 255
Value 2: 255

That my Monster AI anything wrong in this? I normaly always do this and there are no problem.

So until i find that is the problem i have no choice, but to chance my battle.

I gotta move all the monster closer to the plain so i won't be able to bug them even if i wanted too.
Vegeta9001

Re: SF1 Editor enemy does not no anything?

Postby Doomblade66 » Sun Jan 02 2011 6:51pm

I had problems with this battle too, in my Challenge Mod for SF-1 ... the biggest issue I think the level has is it's so big (overall) - with 3-main passages around the mountains (or up through the middle) - for your team to go.

As a result, the "default" enemy AI-routines are fairly complex - and involve a lot of "if Shining Force members move to X-point, have monster fly/move/respond to Y-area" - this is mainly in the flying bats in the default fight - IIRC, but it's done because of how big the level is and how many "options" you have for advancing to Manarina.

This is good from a "freedom of choice" perspective, but harder for a "setting the battle how you want it" one.

In the end, I opted for clustering enemies around the team in the early part of the battle, and again at the Manarina gates - making a heated "front and back" side of the fight, while allowing the middle to be time for the party to heal up and advance in whatever formation you want to tackle the city guardians at the end.

It's the battle (overall) that I was least satisfied with in the whole Challenge Mod - just the way it plays - but 1 out of 30 wasn't too bad - and many of the other battles are fun and challenging - IIRC - particularly the end of Chapter-7 battle, against the Runefaust Army (I called it "A Tribute to Braff" - SF-III reference, given the way I deployed the enemy forces in their battle line) :thumbsup:
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Vegeta9001 » Mon Jan 03 2011 3:47am

Thanks for the reply, now i know why here what i did. ^^

It's a good thing this battle was bugging after all!

As you can see on this image i made...

http://img218.imageshack.us/i/sf1editorbattle5.jpg/

As you can see yes no more rivier which allow me to do an all out battle in the center right before the desert and the bug start so right when the battle begin...

All these Bats fly and get to the heroes team in 2 turn and start attacking.

They all have a power ring and a guard ring which make them pretty strong and hard to kill also they evade alot so Tao and one other character who can cast magic become very useful. =P

This make this ambust right at the begin hard to survive if you don't have a good tactic, healer and mage in the center and the tank outside, i tested this out it's pretty fun.

Then right away after the heroes get to close of the desert ALL the monster start running to attack then, so there no way they can bug the monster by mistake by going in the desert with all they team beside if they really want to and just run in the monster and heal each other them yes maybe they can bug them sadly, but i decided to keep this as an secret way to beat the map easier.

I blocked both other path in the map with water to the left and a small montaigne to the right, so they have no choice, but to pass by the center.

The monster are...

few zombies they all have an mobility ring. (I made them alot stronger too.)
Few Dark Mage with all Power Staff and Guard Rings.
And the boss of this map if you want a Dark Priest with Guardian Staff and a Guard Ring, which make him very dangerous if he start attacking he hit pretty hard and he's hard to kill and heal alot of monster with Aura.

Overall, if all your character are around level 6-10 the battle will still be hard to win if you never done it before and impossible to win if you agro the whole map by going to far up the map without killing the bats first. ^^

You end up getting overun and well you regress or die horribly.
Vegeta9001

Postby Lobo » Mon Jan 03 2011 5:37pm

Vegeta9001 @ Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:00 am) wrote: Triggers...

XO
OX
XX
XX

Action: 1
Value 1: 255
Value 2: 255

That my Monster AI anything wrong in this? I normaly always do this and there are no problem.

So until i find that is the problem i have no choice, but to chance my battle.

I gotta move all the monster closer to the plain so i won't be able to bug them even if i wanted too.

Maybe it has something to do with the first "X". I mean the one in the top left.

I know the next seven refer to the areas on the battle map. Areas 1, 2, 3, ... 7.

Maybe you can try this:

OO
OX
XX
XX

and see what happens...
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Vegeta9001 » Mon Jan 03 2011 6:39pm

Thanks for the advice it helped for few mage, but the healer still as retarded as ever, but it's not a big problem it's still playable even with noobs healer as enemy. XD

Anyway I just don't know what is going on these last two days, i am going from bug to bug it's crazy now i have this problem.

http://img88.imageshack.us/i/sf1editornamebuging.jpg/

I'm editing the battle in the cavern of Darkness where you get the Orb of Light.

There a Skeleton in that cave i made him as the main boss of this battle and i named him.

Rare Lazy Bone and i end up having two bug...

1: The Rare lazy Bone name end up bugging like that.

http://img411.imageshack.us/i/sf1editornamebuging1.jpg/

OR
2: The Boss name is okay, but my character movement range end up bugging and they cannot move or some of them can move like 50 squares...

I will try to find a way to correct this...
Vegeta9001

Postby Lobo » Mon Jan 03 2011 8:16pm

Vegeta9001 @ Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:39 pm) wrote: OR
2: The Boss name is okay, but my character movement range end up bugging and they cannot move or some of them can move like 50 squares...

I will try to find a way to correct this...

Well, Max movement is very likely to bug when I'm editing too.
The editor just seems to mess up the information from resistances, movement types, etc.
Everytime that happens (and I don't know what trigger it) I have to fix that menu over again.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Vegeta9001 » Mon Jan 03 2011 9:20pm

Lobo @ Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 am) wrote: Well, Max movement is very likely to bug when I'm editing too.
The editor just seems to mess up the information from resistances, movement types, etc.
Everytime that happens (and I don't know what trigger it) I have to fix that menu over again.

It started to happend when i used the buged slot which my small boss monster was using.

I just tested stuff out and it seem that if i try to use the monster number...

The game get glitched up in many way.

1: You can get a minor and lame glitch the monster name in question will glitch.

2: If you correct the monster name and when you save the SF1 editor and you return to the game while you are still on the enemy option on the Editor the character movement of the hero, the Warrior and the Knight will be glitched up.

3: If you correct the character movement and you save the SF1 Editor and return playing the game while you are still on the Class option the monster in question will have his name glitched up...

So i found a solution i decided to not use the monster slot number 70, 71, 72 anymore.

And the use other 3 monster slot. 67, 68, 69 for my futur mini boss.

I tested this out and now the battle is working fine no more bug the name and movement are okay.

So the problem was these buged monster slot i'm sure of it.

As for the bugs that make your character movement glitch up for no reason i didn't find why yet i guess it's random...

I just hope it's not going to do that when my friend are going to play the game i would be extremely sad all this hard work for nothing. XD
Vegeta9001

Postby Kane To The Max » Sat Aug 13 2016 4:08pm

I have been able to isolate and reproduce the Movement bug. At least with my ROM. I found what's causing it is directly related to the amount of characters used for the enemy names; nothing to do with resistances. In order to not have Max's movement glitch (he can't move during a battle and he can move anywhere in a cleared battle map screen) you must make sure to be at most 3 characters under the max number of characters indicated by the editor.

So when in the enemies tab, if you are editing names and you get the message:

Error You are at the maximum length for monster names.

You must erase 3 more under that max limit. For some reason, even though you are still under the limit, it causes the Max movement bug.
Ha! I knew you couldn't hide in there forever! Come on out, little hero!
Ha! I knew you couldn't hide in there forever! Come on out, little hero!

Return to Shining Force