Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force X

A massive SF mod!

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Shining Force X

Postby Tyadran » Sun Mar 09 2014 4:41am

Hey everyone, this is a mod I am working on for Shining Force, called Shining Force X. It boasts new classes, characters, enemies, items, spells, and a whole lot more. It is still unfinished, but we are currently doing some player testing. If you would be interested in helping out, it would be greatly appreciated. Check out the latest posts to see what's going on!

Downloads:
Version 0.1.1
Change log:
WARNING: SPOILER!

Version 0.1
0.1-F is the version to apply to a clean game.
0.1-U will update the last version of SFX (3/22/2015) to version 0.1.
Change log:

Old, original post:
Last edited by Tyadran on Mon Apr 27 2015 5:13am, edited 9 times in total.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force X

Postby rubixcuber » Sun Mar 09 2014 6:15pm

Looks promising. I'll be interested to see what you are able to do with it.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Tyadran » Sun Mar 09 2014 6:18pm

Started Chapter 2, but running into some serious AI issues in Battle 5. Hopefully I can get them ironed out without too much trouble.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Mon Mar 10 2014 2:41am

Looks interesting :) Funny pictures haha.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tyadran » Mon Mar 10 2014 2:54am

SaCred wrote:Looks interesting :) Funny pictures haha.

Heh, I did my best. Just can't quite replicate that 'Shining' style, so I decided to just go with all my own thing. The battle sprites are a little more consistent than the portraits. :damnit:
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Mon Mar 10 2014 3:20am

Sounds good, its only chapter 1 so i guess i will have a go soon :)
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Mon Mar 10 2014 4:52am

Sounds interesting, but I will likely wait until the whole game is completed.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tyadran » Mon Mar 10 2014 4:59am

Noma wrote:Sounds interesting, but I will likely wait until the whole game is completed.

That's fine by me. But please keep in mind, the more people who are willing to play one or two chapters earlier on, the more accurate and balanced I can make the difficulty curve. After all, not everyone plays like I do, and I want to make sure that playing in other ways and without prior AI/stat knowledge is still fair. There are a couple things specifically (the Ruin spell, Skarloey's stats, and Drios's stats come to mind) that would be great to get some feedback on.

However, I totally get where you're coming from. If you'd rather wait for the whole thing instead of play 4 battles now, be my guest. :)
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Noma » Mon Mar 10 2014 5:02am

Tyadran wrote:
Noma wrote:Sounds interesting, but I will likely wait until the whole game is completed.

That's fine by me. But please keep in mind, the more people who are willing to play one or two chapters earlier on, the more accurate and balanced I can make the difficulty curve. After all, not everyone plays like I do, and I want to make sure that playing in other ways and without prior AI/stat knowledge is still fair. There are a couple things specifically (the Ruin spell, Skarloey's stats, and Drios's stats come to mind) that would be great to get some feedback on.

However, I totally get where you're coming from. If you'd rather wait for the whole thing instead of play 4 battles now, be my guest. :)

I understand. Maybe I will try when you get done with chapter 2-3. I dont feel like its very accurate to base feedback on just the level gains and such from only 4 battles. And I wouldnt want to restart too many times when each new patch is released. But I understand you need feedback.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Mon Mar 10 2014 3:02pm

Seems to be a great project!
Sure to give it a try whenever I can! :) :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ShininGeek » Mon Mar 10 2014 8:24pm

i just started, and i loved sara's "my magic ...usually works"
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Mon Mar 10 2014 8:32pm

ShininGeek wrote:i just started, and i loved sara's "my magic ...usually works"

Haha, I'm glad that you enjoyed that. :)
I like making characters 'my own', and I'm trying to give them some unique personality whenever I get the chance. Speaking of which...got to finish those headquarters quotes... :shifty:
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Mon Mar 10 2014 10:09pm

also, in the first battle, i used the wooden staff on the rune knight for giggles and... it healed him for 10 hp... i lost the battle later...
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Mon Mar 10 2014 10:14pm

ShininGeek wrote:also, in the first battle, i used the wooden staff on the rune knight for giggles and... it healed him for 10 hp... i lost the battle later...

...waaat. :eyebrow:
I will look into that now. I am incredibly confused, never had that happen myself - I suppose I never tried it on someone with no MP...

Anyway, the first battle is a bit more annoying now, and the second battle is incredibly difficult. Expect to lose each one at least once (I always do) unless you Egress. I'm just too stubborn to use Egress. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Okay, this is a confirmed thing. I screwed up one of my effects, and that made it start healing enemies instead of stealing their MP. I have since corrected this, and it will be fixed in the next update. I'm not posting a new version just with this unless someone REALLY needs it, because I can get through battles 1-4 fine without needing to restore MP with it. :shifty:

EDIT 2: While I try to do most of the graphics myself, I'm having some serious issues with the Falcon Rider images for one simple reason: I am awful at drawing birds, and much more so when it comes to birds with people riding them. If anyone would be interested in helping me out with the graphics for Falcon Riders and their promotion (and maybe a couple other 'Rider' classes? I'm really having trouble here), please send me a PM and I can shoot you my concept sketches and what I have done so far. I'd really appreciate it, and I'd like to get them all finished up before Chapter 2 gets released (where the first Falcon Riders will show up). Thanks in advance to any volunteers.

On that note, Chapter 2 is almost done - just have to finalize some more art (liiiike FRs) and run an actual playtest. :thumbsup:
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Mar 11 2014 3:29am

I am downloading :) lets see what this is like....hehe
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tyadran » Tue Mar 11 2014 3:35am

SaCred wrote:I am downloading :) lets see what this is like....hehe

Haha, I hope you enjoy it! Be sure to let me know all your thoughts! ;)
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Mar 11 2014 3:48am

I think the enemy AI just stands there? :) I just go up and bash them to pieces lol, Meow looks like hes scratching his arse haha. Skarloey pulled of 3 attacks? wow :D
Main characters outfit makes him look like a holy man specially with the cross on his shirt haha.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tyadran » Tue Mar 11 2014 3:51am

In the first battle? They stand there to an extent. The Rune Knight and Dark Dwarves should begin moving once you get in range. The second battle, the AI becomes more aggressive.

*applause* I have yet to pull off a triple attack. Much less on Skarloey. He has a tendency to miss for me. XD

Main characters outfit makes him look like a holy man specially with the cross on his shirt haha.

Just wait until his promotion is finished - looks even more crusader-ey, in my opinion. Actually didn't intend for that, was aiming more for the Myrmidon look from Fire Emblem. :)
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Mar 11 2014 3:59am

2nd battle was hard, i just lost haha. Skarloey is weak, delivering 1 damage per hit lol. Oh and the main characters sword looks like a cross :D definately a holy man haha.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tyadran » Tue Mar 11 2014 4:03am

SaCred wrote:2nd battle was hard, i just lost haha. Skarloey is weak, delivering 1 damage per hit lol. Oh and the main characters sword looks like a cross :D definately a holy man haha.

The Rune Knights at the end, man. They're tough.
Yeah, but if you feed Skarloey some kills, you'll probably get some levels of +3/4 Attack. Also remember that he can use swords if you need a higher attack boost. He learns his first spells at level 3 and level 6 (Level 6 is his tank level. I always power level him to there :D). Plus you can use his Kagerou to cast Blaze 1 if there's a good opening. It only costs 50 coins to repair, or you can buy a totally new one for 200 at the shop. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Tyadran on Tue Mar 11 2014 4:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Next

Return to Shining Force