Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

No Promotion Play Through *COMPLETE*

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: No Promotion Play Through

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Mar 02 2015 9:49pm

I didn't really start doing RN stuff until Chapter 7 or 8. At that point though, I just can't afford to let the Power Ring get damaged for the sake of compensating for my low attack values. Bleu's my strongest character, and I think he only has an Attack of 45 (it's been a while since I've played because of the power issues have had my TV and consoles all unhooked).

I honestly have very little plan for Darksol. I pretty much know how I want to approach Colossus and Dark Dragon (though won't really know for sure if the plans will work until I try), but Darksol I'm rather uncertain about.

I really didn't know if I was going to be able to defeat Ramladu's robots either. My original plan was going to be just ignore them like I used to back when I was a kid, and just rush straight for Ramladu. When trying to Egress from the battle to recover and change my party though from the previous fight, it occurred to me that there was no way I'd be able to outrun them because of my diminutive Agility stats, so I had no choice but to take them out.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby zexxar » Tue Mar 03 2015 11:55am

DomingoRules! wrote:I really didn't know if I was going to be able to defeat Ramladu's robots either. My original plan was going to be just ignore them like I used to back when I was a kid, and just rush straight for Ramladu. When trying to Egress from the battle to recover and change my party though from the previous fight, it occurred to me that there was no way I'd be able to outrun them because of my diminutive Agility stats, so I had no choice but to take them out.

That was exactly my tactic and this was the result

zexxar wrote:Just finished the Ramladu battle and yeah it was the Hell I had to start the battle round about 50 times before I didn't lost half of my force without having a chance to move but then I with the help of a Shower of Cure and the Whitering I was able to beat the robots and still having 8 survivors.

But my problem was that I didn't level everyone like you did so I could put faster characters into my team. :(
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Mar 03 2015 6:20pm

Yeah. Going into this play through, I knew my greatest weapon would be interchangeable party members (though I didn't originally plan on grinding up to 20 with everybody early as I did). I'm disappointed though at how useless Earnest is. He's the only character who's still sitting at level 20 with 0 EXP because I haven't had one use for him. I was hoping he'd at least have the second highest attack power of the knights (Arthur obviously being the highest), but instead Ken, Pelle, and I believe also Mae all outrank him, not to mention Kokichi as well. He is stronger than Vankar though, but only by one point, which doesn't really make up for his being lower with I believe every other stat by several points. Then with even Hans and Diane stronger, I've just never needed THAT much physical attack range to justify using him.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby wyldephang » Tue Mar 10 2015 9:18pm

So, Earnest is the weakest link, huh? I always thought Vankar had taken that distinction. Have you put any more thought toward Darksol?
- Ryan
- Ryan
wyldephang

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Aug 15 2016 6:48am

Over a year later, I've finally picked this back up. Thank goodness I wasn't the last to post, so I can update this without double-posting interfering. And boy, was it an exciting time. I'm currently fighting Colossus, and have so far spent (including time spent reloading save states and such) about 90 minutes on the battle. It's been insane trying to maximize my effectiveness, and keep as many characters alive as possible. I'm not done with the battle yet, though. Decided to take a break because I needed a breather, and my laptop battery was also getting low for the recording. Speaking of the video, don't worry. I'm editing it quite a bit to cut down on the time, without dropping any of the relevant footage. Making this the first battle that has any editing at all, but I felt it necessary because of its ridiculous length.

Sadly, despite all that effort to play well, I totally dropped the ball and literally forgot that Arthur had magic. This resulted in one or two cases where I should've cast something like Bolt of Freeze, but just wound up using the Black Ring instead. Oops. :blush: Probably the result of him being my least used character in the game in normal play throughs (minus Jogurt).

Here's a link to the most recent video. It's not all that interesting because there's no commentary (seriously, there's no f-ing way I'd be able to speak while playing anyway with how much I'm focused on trying to win), but if you want to see my hardships then feel free to check it out. Oh, and by the way. This is not the entire 90 minutes I've thus far recorded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9pDUw8P-30

*Edit: Tonight, thanks to lots and lots of RNG abuse to prevent my rings from breaking, I reached Dark Dragon. Taking out Colossus was... Well, let's just say I made the whole thing a bit more complicated than it probably needed to be. Especially during the second half of the fight. As for Darksol, that battle was a million times easier than I had expected thanks to the method I devised to conquer it. Now, only Dark Dragon stands in my way. Which would be a piece of cake using RNG White Ring and hit 'n run tactics, if not for the damnable Armed Skeletons. I'll figure something out, though.

My final party is... Interesting. Based on the statistics of characters in a normal play through, my final party definitely wound up with some weird choices. We've got Max (White Ring), Ken (Black Ring), Vankar (Evil Ring), Arthur, Gong (Quick Ring), Guntz (Mobility Ring), Tao, Anri, Lyle, Torasu, Bleu (Power Ring), and Zylo.

The weirdest part about that entire party is how long I spent trying to decide who to use between Vankar, and Pelle. And I f-ing chose Vankar. Because he's... Well, he's better. Sure, Pelle has a bit higher Attack, and slightly higher Defense, but considering the circumstances Vankar's higher HP (and I believe Agility) supersede Pelle's advantages, since neither can effectively damage most current enemies anyway without using a ring, and Ken and Arthur already have higher attack than both of them.

Gong's another weird choice, but considering my MP, and other factors, I'm not really finding myself needing any white magic spells other than Heal (which I haven't really been using much either lately because of the White Ring), and nobody has Level 4, and both Gong and Lowe (at least) have Level 3. That being said, all four healers have approximately the same amount of MP, but Gong has measurably higher HP, Attack, and Defense to his peers. Not to mention Gong is probably amongst (or close) my Top 5 strongest characters with Attack period, so he provides a character that can hit harder than most like Luke and Max, while also having Heal as a bonus.

I also spent a long time trying to decide whether or not to keep Zylo. He can hit a bit harder than most, but he's rather squishy. I was considering Adam, but eventually decided to go with Zylo instead because I need at least some power to deal with the Armed Skeletons easier, and Adam can't hurt them. I was also considering putting Khris on the team somewhere as a third healer, but again decided against it for a bit higher hitting power for those damn skeletons. Of course, that's also what Tao's for.

It may be some time though before all the videos are posted. Particularly Darksol and Dragon, since I don't want to post Darksol until I've beaten Dark Dragon, just in case I need to go back and re-record it with a different party. Either way, wish me luck. I'll probably be needing it.

*not meaning to sound pushy or anything, but really hopes somebody posts at some point soon so I don't have to announce my success (or lack thereof) as an edit*

======SECOND EDIT======
Game complete. For the one-hundred-millionth time, Dark Dragon has fallen. Only this time, he has been shamed by losing to a band of heroes who can't even wield the Chaos Breaker.

Final two battles were actually a lot of fun, especially since I was basically winging it. The battle with Dark Dragon especially didn't go as originally planned, and both fights taught me quite a bit about the encounters and enemy behaviors. All-in-all, an exciting ride that goes to show just how underpowered the late-game enemies are statistically.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: No Promotion Play Through *COMPLETE*

Postby wyldephang » Tue Aug 30 2016 5:52pm

Congrats Domingo! Sorry I didn't bump your post sooner; I hadn't been checking the forums, myself.
- Ryan
- Ryan
wyldephang

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Aug 31 2016 2:08am

Thanks. Now I just need to wrap up posting the videos. Would be done already, but I ran into a problem with the "Vs. Darksol" footage. It's intact, but Movie Maker isn't being able to load its audio file (had no problem with Colussus and Dark Dragon), so I'm having to get around to implementing a workaround for that. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, so I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Part of me feels ashamed about just how much I RNGed my rings during the last three battles (particularly Evil and White), but at the same time if they had been damaged early on in a fight I would've been in a really tough spot, and hated the idea of something like that forcing me to restart a battle after I had to spend an hour reaching the end. I am proud to say though that I didn't need to depend too heavily on hit-and-run tactics against Dark Dragon, and that was the most fun I've had in the final battle in a long time. And for those of you who don't want to bother watching the videos:
WARNING: SPOILER!

I've thought about doing No Promotion for SF2 as well, but that game has less appeal for that kind of run because of how many late party members would be exempt from usability. Makes the concept as a whole a bit less interesting.

Oh, and sorry I never answered your question about my plans on Darksol. Because I was taking a hiatus, I didn't want my post to be the last, lest my return take several months or something, and I'm left unable to give everybody an update bump that I've returned. I wanted to give an answer, but I avoided doing so to keep your post as a placeholder for my eventual return to the play through.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby wyldephang » Sun Sep 04 2016 7:15am

Not a problem, Domingo. :)
- Ryan
- Ryan
wyldephang

Postby Devonathan » Sat Sep 24 2016 5:39am

Hmmm. This makes me want to play the game again and give Gong another try.
Devonathan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Force