Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Finally!

Beat SF I

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Finally!

Postby Dandy » Thu Mar 03 2016 6:10pm

It took many years of waiting, but I finally defeated SF I! Granted many of you probably don't give a damn or beat it years ago, but hey, I'm feeling the excitement of my youth relived here!

I never actually owned SF I until I recently bought a Genesis. Thus I had to rent part one in my youth twice. Got down to Dark Dragon, but could never defeat him, then it was time to turn the game back in.

Best time spent from a day off from work in a while. On to part II!
Dandy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Finally!

Postby abig84 » Thu Mar 03 2016 7:20pm

i recently played and completed shining force 1 for the first time also about a month ago. whats strange is shining force 2 has been one of my favorite games since it came out and played it over and over, i have no idea what took me so long to try 1.

and as i meantioned before on this site i think sf1 is way harder then 2 so i think i did it in the right order
abig84

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Fri Mar 04 2016 12:42pm

Hahaha
Not quite true, abig.
SF I is supposed to be easier than SF II in many ways. It seems so for me and for most of people.
I like it better though, characters and art style mostly.

Congratuylations to both of you on beating the game!
Have you tried SF CD, SF FC and SF III yet?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby abig84 » Fri Mar 04 2016 7:36pm

Lobo wrote:Hahaha
Not quite true, abig.
SF I is supposed to be easier than SF II in many ways. It seems so for me and for most of people.

i plan on doing sf 3 next, the wife bought my dying light for xboxone so been playing that lately. also theres one for nintendo ds thats on my list of shinging force games to try, figure ill buy that next time i travel somewhere

i honestly thought 1 was harder, harder boss, harder fights, more messed up land effect battle areas ( lot of fights in the mountains and forests). dont get me wrong it wasnt insanely hard but i thought it was way more challenging then sf2
abig84

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Ghostly Jenn » Sat Mar 05 2016 6:59am

Congratulations on completing it! :)

The first time I beat it was 1994, I was 3 years old and my sister was mad at me because I beat it while she was at school. I couldn't figure out how to beat Shining Force II without coming here, honestly, so I didn't beat it until about 1999-2000. I actually found the AI on Shining Force I to be more difficult, but overall Shining Force II was more difficult to me (after all, I didn't beat it until it was about a decade irrelevant).

If you can't tell who my favorite character is, then maybe I should try a little harder. ;) He is my favorite video game character out of all video games and he has such a small part in the only game I've played the [REAL] Adam (lookin' at you EXA, Fat Albert Adam was unacceptable). Admittedly Shining Force II was my favorite when I was younger but as I've grown older I'm not sure which is my favorite. Probably Shining Force III and I'm not even done with Scenario 1 yet. :lol: Such a slow gamer these days.

wtb [My Youth] when I could beat games in less than a day.

[EDIT]: I should note the more important thing is that no one would let me save my game. The bubbles were all taken up, so I beat this game in about seven and a half hours at three years old. Don't ask me to repeat this, I probably couldn't do it even with an emulator. I wanted to read the story from start to finish anyway because I had just learned how to read a few days before I beat this game.
I don't know how to be [...]; it doesn't get better and it doesn't get easier. I can't keep lying to myself saying I'm gonna change, I'm poison. I come from poison, I have poison inside me, and I destroy everything I touch. That's my legacy; I have nothing to show for the life that I've lived and I have nobody in my life who's better off for having known me.
I don't know how to be [...]; it doesn't get better and it doesn't get easier. I can't keep lying to myself saying I'm gonna change, I'm poison. I come from poison, I have poison inside me, and I destroy everything I touch. That's my legacy; I have nothing to show for the life that I've lived and I have nobody in my life who's better off for having known me.
Ghostly Jenn

Greetings Traveler
Shining Legend

Postby Dandy » Sat Mar 05 2016 8:46pm

Lobo wrote:Hahaha
Not quite true, abig.

I got the Genesis and part I and II for Christmas, so I just started part II. I owned the game originally years ago. I didn't complete it, or remember much of it. I was about to graduate high school and was big into sports, so I gamed a lot less. So far it's pretty god. Just sailed on the ship since there was the earthquake on the old island.

Wasn't too sure what difficulty level to set it at, so figured I'd try hard on my first go at it.

I really want to get SF III next. I can get a Saturn for pretty cheap, but the game seems to be up there in price. At least when I check Amazon and Ebay. My local gaming store doesn't have a copy.

I want to say I used to own SF CD, I "think". Was there no open world map, or town exploration, something like that? If I remember, something struck me as odd with it, assuming I'm thinking correctly after all these years. Wouldn't mind opting for this, if I can't get a good bargain on part III.

Not sure what SF FC is. How is it and for what system?
Dandy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lucifer » Sat Mar 05 2016 9:28pm

Dandy wrote:Not sure what SF FC is. How is it and for what system?

Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict is a Game Gear game that was only released in Japan, although you can download a perfect translation patch from this website. Chronologically, it takes place a couple years after SFCD and about 60+ years before SF2. It's storyline ties the first and second game together directly and takes care of a few loose ends. I highly recommend it.
Lucifer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dandy » Sun Mar 06 2016 3:33am

Lucifer wrote:

Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict is a Game Gear game that was only released in Japan, although you can download a perfect translation patch from this website. Chronologically, it takes place a couple years after SFCD and about 60+ years before SF2. It's storyline ties the first and second game together directly and takes care of a few loose ends. I highly recommend it.

I might have to check that out, thanks for the info! In regards to the translation patches, how exactly do they work?
Dandy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lucifer » Sun Mar 06 2016 8:50pm

Dandy wrote:
Lucifer wrote:

I might have to check that out, thanks for the info! In regards to the translation patches, how exactly do they work?

The translation patch is an IPS file. Personally, I use Lunar IPS to patch it.

If your having trouble with that, then here's another method:
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16799&p=467794&hilit=patch#p467794
Lucifer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dandy » Tue Mar 08 2016 6:00am

Lucifer wrote:The translation patch is an IPS file. Personally, I use Lunar IPS to patch it.

If your having trouble with that, then here's another method:
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16799&p=467794&hilit=patch#p467794

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! When the time comes, I'll definitely need a patch. I saw they have patches for all three series of part III. I recently found a great price for the U.S. version of three, so might pick that up.
Dandy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Antman 537 » Tue Mar 15 2016 10:14pm

Hmm.... when did I beat sf1? It wasn't long ago, perhaps a few years back. I got pretty close in high school but then my save file corrupted, and I just never got around to re-doing it.

I started playing sf cd, but I haven't had time to lately; so many other things to do, haha...
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby abig84 » Wed Mar 16 2016 6:43pm

a little off topic but are you still able to play 1 & 2 on the genesis? does the save feature still work? i would think the battery would be garbage by now
abig84

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Antman 537 » Mon Mar 21 2016 9:22pm

Good question. I don't own a genesis, so I can't say. Wish I did, haha
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Tue Mar 22 2016 12:29am

My SF1 still plays. the SF2 memory is shot though. I know people replace the batteries via soldering though.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Tue Mar 22 2016 12:26pm

After more than 20 years, my SF1 battery is still alive! :) :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby abig84 » Tue Mar 22 2016 6:54pm

Lobo wrote:After more than 20 years, my SF1 battery is still alive! :) :thumbsup:

thats crazy. i had a ipod last about 8 and i thought that was a long time though it was pretty weak

i own a genesis but dont have any shining force games on it as i already own them on the xbox360 on the sonic collection.
abig84

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force