Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force Challenge Mode

Not the mod, video series by me

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: Shining Force Challenge Mode

Postby Lobo » Sat Jul 09 2016 1:08pm

WARNING: SPOILER!
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ansa » Sat Jul 09 2016 1:41pm

Assassins wrote:No promotion items, no mithril grinding, promote 20, iron man.

Yeah right now I'm thinking...
1) If a character dies they are dead for good, no reviving!
2) If Bowie dies its game over!
3) Items cannot be bought from shops.
4) Weapons can be purchased for each character up to 2 times, Once before promotion and once after.
Any characters who cannot be promoted can only have a single weapon purchased.
5) Purchased weapons can only be used for the person they were bought for, I cannot swap bought weapons between characters!
6) I cannot use Mithril to get any special weapons.
7) I can only escape from a battle before anyone attacks, once any experience is gained I cannot escape (no grinding)!
8) In the event I trigger a battle I've already completed while backtracking I can only use my most powerful characters to clear out the battle so the minimum amount of experience is gained.
9) If I get far enough to promote (Level 20) I MUST Promote said characters ASAP, any character who joins above level 20 must be promoted before being used.
10) No Special Promotions
11) Repairing Weapons or Rings is not allowed.

So SF2 is a much more complicated game to plan around, for one thing unlike SF1 you don't get anywhere near as many random weapons out in the world so I have to plan around that. Basically my idea as listed above is to be able to buy weapons for characters twice once before and once after promotion, this allows me to upgrade some weapons so all my characters don't end up doing 1 damage at the very end of the game but also limits me on weapons by alot. I also added in the rule where I can't exchange bought weapons so for example if I get Higgins and I buy him a shiny new lance right away and he dies (because he sucks ass) I cannot then give that weapon to one of my other Paladins since it was bought for him. The exception to this rule is weapons that characters come with, so if I upgrade someones weapon right away like again Higgins for example the weapon he starts with could be passed to someone else. The reason I'm allowing this is because most of the time characters don't come with the best weapons available so while it may be a good idea to buy a new weapon for them it could screw me over in the end but may end up being something I do need depending on the situation, a risk/reward kind of thing. Also no mithril weapons because they are OP as shit.

Then you have backtracking and random battles occurring which goes against my grinding rule which is why I have the rule I set above. Most of the time any battles I end up re-fighting will be way past where I can be gaining experience for but I also don't want it as an excuse to grind out some of the weaker characters I might have so I figure just use the ones who are the least likely to gain any real experience from it.

Promoting at 20 as well is largely because there are many more battles in this game then SF1 so the one per battle rule wouldn't make sense. Also your characters don't lose stats so promoting beyond 20 is always a better idea so I just won't do that

Another thing which I don't really think I'm going to play a rule around but just a general note is that early on in the game if a character dies the game can automatically revive them, the game does this all of the time for Peter and later Lemon but once you have the Caravan you can just remove them from the party but early on no Caravan so if I do have someone die early on I just need to make a note of that character and just make sure I don't actually use them in battle. If I remember correctly it happens 3 times early on: After the first battle against Galam soldiers where your party is captured by Lemon, after leaving Granseal to investigate a missing builder, and then the battle right after that where a year passes. After that I think pretty much I'm g2g but any characters that die in between any of those will be revived so I'll likely just put them to the side until I get the Caravan or give kill them at an optimal time.

Another thing I'm thinking about is how exactly I'm going to space out each episode. I could make episodes generally shorter (and likely more frequent say 3 times a week instead of 2) and still do them per-battle or I could do an hour or more of general gameplay here and there with at times odd breaks (like in the middle of a battle) between episodes. Either way I do it eventually it'll likely even out and be near the same as it is now towards the end once the battles get longer but early on a lot of the battles can feel like filler and I'd hate the idea of a 'filler' episode if you know what I mean.

As for your question Lobo
WARNING: SPOILER!
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Tue Jul 12 2016 11:35am

Today we're invading Runefaust!
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ansa » Tue Jul 12 2016 4:38pm

Lobo wrote:Today we're invading Runefaust!

LOL almost got the name of the episode.

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Fri Jul 15 2016 12:54pm

Come Chimaeras!
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ansa » Fri Jul 15 2016 5:28pm

Edit: WOOPS Forgot to edit this episode my bad will fix asap.

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Assassins » Fri Jul 15 2016 5:34pm

I never got to use freeze 4 because I beat the game before Domingo could learn it.
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby Ansa » Fri Jul 15 2016 6:34pm

Okay so I thought I screwed something up and I deleted the video thinking I didn't edit the video correctly but I did and had to reupload it XD

And new episode!

So just FYI I've had computer trouble this last week so I'm scheduling out the rest of the videos now, besides this one there are two left one I'm planning to be Friday like normal and then the last video on Sunday. If all goes according to plan and I don't have anymore computer trouble I'll be getting SF2's CM started on Tuesday and then continue Tuesday/Friday like normal. I'll make a topic for that in the SF2 forum when the first video goes up.

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Wed Jul 20 2016 1:10am

Two more?
I thought there were three left...
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ansa » Wed Jul 20 2016 1:54am

Lobo wrote:Two more?
I thought there were three left...

I will say no more >:X

So far no other computer troubles today, just had a scary thing happen while recording the SF2 CM, after recording an episode and saving the client crashed and I thought I lost my save but thankfully it did save was really worried I lost an hour or more of progress XD

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Wed Jul 20 2016 6:13pm

Cool!

I finally came to find my set of rules for this kind of alike challenge.
Here they are:

1. Can't run from any battle, either egressing or walking away.*
2. Can't revive fallen characters. Permanent death!
3. Every character must fight the very next battle after he/she joins the force.
4. Can't open chests, equip or unequip weapons/rings during battles.
5. Can't ever use the Power Ring. Equipping is ok.
6. Until battle 27, one of the least leveled characters among reserves must replace one of the most leveled characters among the main force.** / ***
7. Once inside Ancient Castle, the force can't go back out until finishing Dark Dragon. It means you can't replace characters from battles 28 to 30, even in case of death.

* this means you can't change members or equipment or even apply rule #6 before battles 2, 15 and 27.
** in case characters are tied for lowest (or highest) level, the player may choose between them.
*** promoted levels are considered 10 above the same unpromoted level (1P=11U). Domingo is considered unpromoted. Musashi and Hanzou are considered promoted.

Think it can be even harder than yours. Especially beacuse of rule #5, the lack of abusing the Power Ring.
Rule #6 will be tough too, as it shall keep my levels lower than yours.

What do you (and the other guys) think?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ansa » Wed Jul 20 2016 9:53pm

Lobo wrote:Cool!

Here they are:

3. Every character must fight the very next battle after he/she joins the force.
6. Until battle 27, one of the least leveled characters among reserves must replace one of the most leveled characters among the main force.** / ***
7. Once inside Ancient Castle, the force can't go back out until finishing Dark Dragon. It means you can't replace characters from battles 28 to 30, even in case of death.

* this means you can't change members or equipment or even apply rule #6 before battles 2, 15 and 27.
** in case characters are tied for lowest (or highest) level, the player may choose between them.
*** promoted levels are considered 10 above the same unpromoted level (1P=11U). Domingo is considered unpromoted. Musashi and Hanzou are considered promoted.

Think it can be even harder than yours. Especially beacuse of rule #5, the lack of abusing the Power Ring.

I like it, just a few thoughts.

Rule 1 - Keep in mind not retreating for any battle makes it so you won't be able to get Gong until after the second battle is over. Thats the main reason I did the rule as I did it in my run.

Rule 4 - Only thing about this is that it means you can't have knights switch to a spear mid battle so unless its the best weapon available its not worth having them.

Rule 5 - I like it although its far from the only OP use item. It'll make the Circus battle super hard. In general though I like the idea of the rings for utility which is why I added that no repairing rule in my SF2 Challenge mode, keeps the utility but limits you directly, wouldn't work as well as SF1 since as you've seen the Power Ring is what got me through several boss fights at times or was a great way to build up weaker characters.

Rule 6 - I think this rule is interesting but I don't care for it personally since I don't like micro managing stuff like that (the weapon purchasing rule I have to keep track of in my SF2 CM is driving me nuts already) and it makes it a bit more complicated to follow.

Rule 7 - I really like this rule and would have applied it to mine if I hadn't already finished it, great idea. Might add that in my SF2 one.

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Thu Jul 21 2016 11:46am

Ansa wrote:
Lobo wrote:Cool!

Here they are:

I like it, just a few thoughts.

Rule 1 - Keep in mind not retreating for any battle makes it so you won't be able to get Gong until after the second battle is over. Thats the main reason I did the rule as I did it in my run.

Rule 4 - Only thing about this is that it means you can't have knights switch to a spear mid battle so unless its the best weapon available its not worth having them.

Rule 5 - I like it although its far from the only OP use item. It'll make the Circus battle super hard. In general though I like the idea of the rings for utility which is why I added that no repairing rule in my SF2 Challenge mode, keeps the utility but limits you directly, wouldn't work as well as SF1 since as you've seen the Power Ring is what got me through several boss fights at times or was a great way to build up weaker characters.

Rule 6 - I think this rule is interesting but I don't care for it personally since I don't like micro managing stuff like that (the weapon purchasing rule I have to keep track of in my SF2 CM is driving me nuts already) and it makes it a bit more complicated to follow.

Rule 7 - I really like this rule and would have applied it to mine if I hadn't already finished it, great idea. Might add that in my SF2 one.

Nice comments.
Here goes mines on yours.

Rule 1 - Yeah, I'm aware of it and I'm afraid I'll even forget to get him by the end of battle 2. Hope I don't.

Rule 4 - It will be hard on the knights, but it will be fun. Think I'll just leave Ken, Mae and Arthur with their starting weapons until chapter 3. Then, they will all have power spears until the start of chapter 6. In the end, I think your "no shopping" rule was harder on the knights than this one is.

Rule 5 - You passed three of four battles of chapter 6 abusing the Power Ring. It will be veeeeeery dificult for me to get through it.

Rule 6 - I wanted a rule that forced me to use weak characters. This one will do it. Maybe I should put another * on this one for Jogurt. Or maybe I just won't find him.

Rule 7 - Thanks!
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ansa » Fri Jul 22 2016 3:21pm

Final Episode will air Sunday at 10AM EST.

And here it is!

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Mon Jul 25 2016 11:29am

It was a long journey!
Thank you Ansa and the Shining Force for entertaining us for so long!
And congratulations for the final achievement! :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ansa » Tue Jul 26 2016 1:30am

Lobo wrote:It was a long journey!
Thank you Ansa and the Shining Force for entertaining us for so long!
And congratulations for the final achievement! :thumbsup:

Thanks! Yeah that lasted several months pretty crazy alright. I really enjoyed doing it though. Now you've got SF2 with a much harder ruleset to look forward too xD

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Devonathan » Thu Jul 28 2016 1:37am

I swear I will get caught up someday. I haven't forgot about you!
Devonathan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Ansa » Tue Aug 02 2016 12:38am

Devonathan wrote:I swear I will get caught up someday. I haven't forgot about you!

Lol KK take your time man but you've got a looot of catching up to do... Because I already started my SF2 run!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26868

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Devonathan » Tue Aug 02 2016 1:45am

Ansa wrote:
Devonathan wrote:I swear I will get caught up someday. I haven't forgot about you!

Lol KK take your time man but you've got a looot of catching up to do... Because I already started my SF2 run!

Crap. I'll catch up as fast as I can. I'm working 12 hours a day, raising a 1 year old, and I'm about to start a new job so any free time I have goes to prepping for the new job. I just watched the video where Ken showed off the fact that he is the freaking best... sorry I guess I should be more specific. I just finished the tower battle where Torasu and Alef join.
Devonathan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Ansa » Tue Aug 02 2016 1:25pm

Devonathan wrote:
Ansa wrote:

Crap. I'll catch up as fast as I can. I'm working 12 hours a day, raising a 1 year old, and I'm about to start a new job so any free time I have goes to prepping for the new job. I just watched the video where Ken showed off the fact that he is the freaking best... sorry I guess I should be more specific. I just finished the tower battle where Torasu and Alef join.
Lol man you do you I'm glad you enjoyed watching it but don't feel the need to go out of the way to get caught up just watch when you want to.

Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force