Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Walking through walls is fun

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Walking through walls is fun

Postby Helldhaz » Sat Apr 30 2016 12:48pm

This is all just Alterone:
WARNING: SPOILER!

My personal favourite:

I've played around with walk through walls codes on SF2 before, only just thought to do it with the first game now. It's interesting to see (in both games) all the little tricks and workarounds with sprites and map tiles.

I may keep putting up things I find but if you all wanna have a look around for yourselves here's the Game Genie codes I found:

Code: Select all
PECT-FF8L            Go anywhere in battle
ALCT-AA6Y            Go anywhere on the map (need all four)
ALDA-AA24            Go anywhere on the map (need all four)
ALDA-AA7E            Go anywhere on the map (need all four)
ALDT-AA3L            Go anywhere on the map (need all four)
REEA-C6WL            Go anywhere in towns

Credits:             Damin Mance, Chemist
Helldhaz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Walking through walls is fun

Postby abig84 » Sat Apr 30 2016 1:39pm

i did it in shining force 2 last play through. there really wasnt much to see, just a bunch of garbled areas and a town i couldnt enter. found it funny how little sea there was from when you found the air ship til you crashed it. i dont know why they were flying around for so long when they basically could have swam across

i just figure when they are making these games they move stuff off the playing area as they are building areas and just leave them there as they are never meant to be accessed. i was able to go to a later town really early in the game and buy good weapons thats about it
abig84

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Helldhaz » Sat Apr 30 2016 3:15pm

Oh for sure, they just put things out of the way knowing if they didn't move them nobody would see them anyway. And yeah, there's not a lot that's massively interesting. After having a brief run through the game, I've found that the default line characters speak, other than a "0" that disappears, is "Greetings, Max. I have been waiting for you." (showing Jogurt was a test character :confused: )

Something vaguely notable is a random old man north of the underground battle in Chapter 5:

And this amused me:

However, this is probably the most interesting thing I've found:

Shoved off to the very right of the area where you fight Chaos are these sprites, including (unpromoted) Max, and Kane! Makes me think the additional bit of storyline that was included in the GBA version was perhaps meant to be in the original as well. Anyone out there with more knowledge able to shed some light?

EDIT: I've just had a look through the message test (found here: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=17620) to see if there was anything related - couldn't see anything directly, but there's a bunch of zeroed-out messages between 1575-1584 and 1589-1597, where all the Chaos dialogue is, so maybe there's something to this?

EDIT 2: For completion's sake, checked the same area in the Japanese version (the walk through walls code is slightly different, annoyingly - REEA-C6VR - had to blunder my way through a hex editor and a GG-Hex converter to get that :eww:), and yep, it's the same (image link: http://i.imgur.com/YXtsNrX.png). Moving one step to the right hits the area boundary and triggers the Chaos battle.
Helldhaz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Devonathan » Tue May 10 2016 12:40am

Very cool. Anything interesting from SF2?
Devonathan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby abig84 » Fri May 13 2016 3:51am

Devonathan wrote:Very cool. Anything interesting from SF2?

When I did it on sf2 I kinda briefly mentioned what I found in a post above which was pretty much nothing. One stupid thing I set it so I had full range during battles and was able to kill jaro before he joined the force which was rather satisfying also being able to go to a way later town earlier in the game to buy good weapons helped out
abig84

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Helldhaz » Tue Jun 07 2016 12:02am

I wish someone would hurry up and find a beta of the Japanese version so we can confirm this once and for all. So inconsiderate...
Helldhaz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Aug 09 2016 9:34am

Helldhaz wrote:I wish someone would hurry up and find a beta of the Japanese version so we can confirm this once and for all. So inconsiderate...

Maybe someday.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Helldhaz » Sun Oct 23 2016 1:23am

For the sake of it, here's the relevant info from the Editor:

It doesn't show Kane or promoted Adam in there for whatever reason (they're off-screen, sprites 3 and 12 respectively), but it does show a dead character flame that's out of bounds normally. Also, of the other sprites, number 4 is Darksol, so the plot thickens!
Helldhaz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force