The Shadows (Single Battle Hack)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 2016 7:01pm
by Helldhaz
I've been playing around with rubixcuber's fantastic SF1 Editor lately, and have been trying to come up with neat ideas that stray from the usual hack types you see (I don't mean that in a dismissive way obviously). One of the ideas I came up with is a version of the infamous Shadow battle from Shining Force CD. Now, this is very proof-of-concept in terms of having it in a proper game, as I've taken a lot of liberties with enemies and palettes and what have you, hence why it's a "Single Battle" hack.

What You'll Need:
  • A 4MB ROM of the "(U) [!]" version of the game. Of course I can't link to a ROM, but if you have that version, open it up in the Editor, and use the File -> Expand Rom option to make it 4MB
  • The patch file, found here (for L10/easier) or here (for L20/harder)
  • The relevant savestate, found here (for L10) or here (for L20)
Use something like Floating IPS or LunarIPS to patch the ROM, load it up, then load your savestate. It will put you outside the circus tent in Rindo, just walk in to start the battle. For the purposes of this, I've used the first twelve characters you get, promoted them at L10, and levelled them to L10/20 promoted - the Shadows' stats are based off the force.

As for why I chose the circus battle, two main reasons - it's the first battle in which you have a full force of twelve, plus there happens to be twelve enemies in the battle, which made things a tad easier. It's one of the better maps for this sort of thing too, as it happens.

The L10 battle's not too difficult, though the L20 battle can be tricky, and there may be the occasional bug or hiccup lurking, but ultimately this is all a bit of fun, and hey if people enjoy this, or get ideas for their own hacks, then it's all good. :)

Re: The Shadows (Single Battle Hack)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09 2016 2:19am
by DiegoMM
Cool, i will try it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12 2016 12:01pm
by Helldhaz
Nice one, thank you! Even just feedback on if it works or not would be much appreciated.

Meanwhile, I've gone ahead and made version 2, you can grab the patch and the savestate from these links. I've bumped the force up to L20, and made the Shadow Force tougher in tandem. It's harder than my first effort, but still not too bad if you take care.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14 2016 10:45am
by alaust
Wow, the v2 is even better! Are you planning on making 3rd version?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 2016 12:45pm
by Helldhaz
Thank you! I'll probably continue tweaking it when I have the time, seeing what I can do, but in terms of the concept there's not a lot more I can squeeze out of it. One thing I did want to do was remove the side stairs to force people through the middle, but I couldn't get the "Walkable" flag to do what I wanted in the editor, so I dunno if it works or if I'm doing something wrong (I assume the latter). :p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 2016 7:25pm
by ShininGeek
It's not the "walkable" flag that is the issue. You need to edit the terrain of the battle. In order to adjust whether or not you can move on a tile, you need to go into the battle editor and adjust how the game treats the terrain in that battle. The map editor does have a "walkable" flag, but the flag is ignored on battle maps and overridden by whatever the terrain is labelled as in battle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21 2016 5:30pm
by Helldhaz
Aha, thanks, tested it quickly and that's done the trick. I'll have to think about the possibilities now, what to do with the mages, stuff like that!