Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

ShininGeek's SFI MOD V2.4

After a long time, I came back and changed a lot

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

ShininGeek's SFI MOD V2.4

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Jun 28 2016 3:23am

So after a few years of not really touching this, I figured I'd take a look back at it again and make some changes to what my mod previously was. Below is most of my original post from the old topic, but with additions based on the ver. 2.0 changes. If something listed in the original post was changed, it now is italicised and the remade gameplay is listed afterward.

IPS Link:
V.2.4
V.2.4.1

Mod Info:

Major Gameplay:
WARNING: SPOILER!

Spells:

Classes/Characters:

Items:

Major Changes for Ver. 2.0:

Please, please, please let me know if you come across any bugs. Have fun! :thumbsup:

V. 2.1: Changed Blast to deal 10 damage at all levels and scale up in AOE from hitting 1 enemy to hitting all enemies and modified torch eyes
V. 2.2: Rebuilt the Ai that had broken in the Kane battle and rebalanced spells.

V. 2.3: Updated Item use ranges that had not been updated when spells were.
V. 2.4: Patch made on an unexpanded vanilla rom to hopefully fix issues with spells. Hidden Items in Chapter 7 all moved to the Tower battle.
V.2.4.1: Buffs several late game enemies and bosses, but also gives you the Kindan NoHako
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ShininGeek on Fri Jul 22 2016 7:50pm, edited 13 times in total.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: ShininGeek's SFI MOD V2.0

Postby Ansa » Tue Jun 28 2016 4:10am

Will you be uploading this to the steam workshop I'd love to check this out without having to mess with a rom.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Jun 28 2016 2:27pm

I wasn't aware the Steam workshop was a thing for Shining Force. I'll check it out.

Edit: Thank you summer sales. Got SFI and SFII for 75% off. I'm not sure how modding these will work, but I'll try.

Edit 2: Oooooh, this is fancy. I'll try and make it presentable, then upload it.

Edit 3: The mod is now on the Steam Workshop! Let me know if there are any issues!
Last edited by ShininGeek on Tue Jun 28 2016 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby KnightDmG » Tue Jun 28 2016 7:04pm

I'll go test it out from the steam workshop!

E: Do note if you intend to use the rom from steam, I've heard you need to use the regular thign that has the living room in it, instead of the simple launcher.

E2: One small issue when going to the first battle: The caravan follows what I believe to be the old path, rather than the new one, a really minor detail, which might be a bit difficult to fix, and I understand you might not do it.
KnightDmG

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Jun 28 2016 7:24pm

Yeah, I cant really change that, I don't think. Mostly because I can't change the walkability of the map until the second battle has started, so if you ever egress from the first battle, go over the waterfall.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Mckenny87sj » Thu Jul 07 2016 4:19am

Your stuffs are incredible my bro
Keep it up
And how can i find it on Steam Workshop ?
Mckenny87sj

Postby Sniper Lyle » Fri Jul 08 2016 3:32am

Oh, didn't expect to see this. Looks like it's time to pick up SF again for awhile.
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Fri Jul 08 2016 4:43pm

Been ages since i played SF, i may give this one a go but cannot remember how to play it using the Emulator lol.
Is it just, place the rom in the folder and load it up from the Emulator?

Edit: Oh is an IPS file, what to do from here?
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Fri Jul 08 2016 6:38pm

You need to apply the ips patch to an unmodified rom using an ips patcher. If you don't have a patcher, just google it and you should be able to find one to use.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Fri Jul 08 2016 6:40pm

Just did but it says the file is invalid once i have patched it.

It says, The file has been patched, but the data in the IPS file appears to be truncated or misaligned...

Ahh i must've downloaded a wrong file from your site. I downloaded again and patched and now it works...

That's interesting, the whole team joins at the very beginning lol :D Apart from the ones which you mentioned.

Eh how comes I can't use any Medical Herbs during battle?
Also i think the spells are a little overpowered at the start specially with Blaze and Bolt as they are AOE
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Fri Jul 08 2016 7:43pm

You shouldn't have any issues using medical herbs, I never messed with them. They still have the proper use range and effect.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Fri Jul 08 2016 7:59pm

It says, you can't use it. All my healers have Medical herbs in their inventory but cannot use hmm...

I do like battle 2 going across the bridge instead of navigating through the mountains, and to raise a character after they have fallen isn't cheap lol.

Right the game froze when Pelle reached level 5 and says, And learns a new

Music is still playing but can't get past the screen
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Sat Jul 09 2016 2:45am

Odd, I haven't had any such issues. Did you patch a clean rom, or a modded one? I'll try and make a new patch to see if I can fix those issues, but I'm not sure why they are happening.

Edit: ok, I recreated the patch and uploaded it. Try and apply it to a clean 4MB rom.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Sniper Lyle » Mon Jul 18 2016 8:32pm

Been having a good time playing though your hack again, noticing some AI weirdness around Kane though.

I figure those four enemies are supposed to move somewhere when I get close, probably to one of the houses, but they are just standing around. Don't know if that's intentional, but it's gonna take like three hours to get through these guys to Kane.
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Mon Jul 18 2016 11:26pm

I'll take a look at it and see why they might not be moving.

Edit: So... apparently their Ai was randomly deleted...

Edit 2: I rebuilt their Ai. They should move to the far house now. Also, I rebalanced spells to have mana costs based on their AOE and damage. A .txt file with spell data and the patch for V.2.2 are in the main post.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Sniper Lyle » Tue Jul 19 2016 7:11am

Works just fine now. Kane is down, that fight took a long time with the boost/attack mages. And Kane killed half of my party, of course. It is actually pretty fun when a boss matches up against your whole party.

Oh, Lyle has too many spells I think, he just learned two and at some point picked up three more that I didn't notice.

v He's making my actual casters jealous with all of his spells right now... attack, muddle, slow, drain, and zeus. Haven't even seen those last two before this.
Last edited by Sniper Lyle on Tue Jul 19 2016 4:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Jul 19 2016 2:14pm

Lyle? He shouldn't have any

In the Kane battle, you should be left with the choice of either going and killing the bishops in the far house (they have no offence whatsoever, so they shouldn't be a challenge, just might take some time), or going to fight Kane while he has the buffs they give.

Drain is Alef's unique spell and Zeus is her summon. I'm not sure why Lyle is learning them, he isn't set to learn any spells
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Sniper Lyle » Thu Jul 21 2016 4:57am

So in the final battle of chapter 7, near the bottom right corner of the map there is a little house which seems like it would indicate an area to enter, but moving Max to that square does nothing. Is there actually something there or is it just decoration?
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Thu Jul 21 2016 5:04am

That spot has a secret item. You can only get it during the final battle of chapter 7.
There were two other items similar to it hidden in chapter 7.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Sniper Lyle » Thu Jul 21 2016 5:34am

Oh, I think I know what it was then... But when I went to that spot during the battle I wasn't able to search it.

I noticed the rom got corrupted somehow, and that's why a bunch of characters had weird spells. Repatching to a clean rom fixed everything, but I think I lost out on a couple things. Apparently Max was supposed to learn Bolt? :(
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Next

Return to Shining Force