Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Rebalancing in a mod?

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Rebalancing in a mod?

Postby Sniper Lyle » Wed Jul 20 2016 7:54pm

I'm wanting to crack open SFedit and change things around, but where should I start if I want to balance character and enemy stats and keep things consistent? I've done a little editing before now but it didn't end very well.
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Rebalancing in a mod?

Postby Ansa » Wed Jul 20 2016 9:00pm

Hmm for character stats and levels... Keep in mind when I say adjust levels I also mean adjust stats based off those level changes.

Max should get bolt and get better MP growth because of it. To counter balance this, the on use effect of the Sword of Light and Chaos Breaker should be removed (its OP since they can't break anyway).

Ken is rather weak but instead of making him stronger in HP or Defense (just giving him better defense would be a good start) I think he would be more interesting with higher attack and work more as a glass cannon.

Hans needs higher attack growths

Gong needs higher stats all around but a bigger focus on attack, defense, and mp.

Anri's Defense is insane post promotion. Shes damn well near the best tank until the end last few chapters really needs to be toned down.

Arthur should start out slightly stronger, either a bit more attack/defense or just a level higher then you get him.

The Bird couple should start at level 6 instead of 5 as well as better defense since they never get any defense bonuses from land effect

Diane needs higher attack growths like Hans

Zylo should have 6 move instead of 7

Vankar is terrible, starts off with some rather good stats but his growths are god awful in every aspect.

Kokichi should start off a level higher, have better attack growth

Domingo needs to be nerfed in a big way. I don't know how the game treats him exactly but he gains experience like hes level 1 unpromoted when hes more like level 1 promoted. He should have much lower defense and to complensate should learn Freeze level 4 faster.

Earnest I always felt like he should have high attack and defense but low HP and start at level 10-12.

Lyle should arrive promoted at level 2.

Bleu is one of the few characters who I think is fine, he needs time to grow but he does't start off weak just under leveled and if you take the time to level him hes fantastic.

Alef and Torasu should arrive promoted at around level 5.

Musashi is way to strong. I think hes growths are fine but his starting stats are nuts. Needs a major nerf in every aspect, if a really big nerf is applied I would also lower his level by 2. If his stats weren't to be changed I think he should have 4 move.

Adam should arrive promoted at level 10

Hanzou should have slightly higher base stats.

In general I also think that several party members need to come with better equipment then they start with. The Lance users in chapter 4 for instance all arrive with a bronze lance and instead should start with a power spear.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Sniper Lyle » Wed Jul 20 2016 9:20pm

That's very helpful, thanks. I'll see what I can do about the characters and work on the enemies later, probably.
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Mon Jul 25 2016 4:19am

Jogurt is hella overpowered and needs to be nerfed
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force