Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Defenders of Oasis vs Shining Force

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Defenders of Oasis vs Shining Force

Postby Daria » Thu Aug 11 2016 4:30am

I grew up playing both of these games and never fully appreciated the similarities between these two titles until this week. I just finished a playthrough of Defenders.

Both games were released in 1992 and both are first party Sega RPGs. Both use chapters to move characters through the plot and between isolated geographical regions. Both weirdly enough have a merchant in a single town that operates multiple store fronts by running back and forth between the counters. Both use the same stat system with agility determining initiative in combat. Both give the party leader the special ability to run from combat.

The weird thing is I couldn't find any staff similarities between the game's development teams. But once you strip away the elements from Shining Force that are clearly influenced by Camelot and Climax you have some some stuff that only really appear in that one title that are also reflected in this awesome handheld game.

Was Sega just attempting to cohesively brand their RPGs in 1992?
Daria

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Defenders of Oasis vs Shining Force

Postby Assassins » Thu Aug 11 2016 6:17am

I have never even heard of Defenders of Oasis, so I will have to do some research voa emulation. Answer pending.

But as for Egress, Shining in the darkness had it first, so that could be the origin of that similarity
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby Daria » Thu Aug 11 2016 4:33pm

Assassins wrote:I have never even heard of Defenders of Oasis, so I will have to do some research voa emulation. Answer pending.

But as for Egress, Shining in the darkness had it first, so that could be the origin of that similarity

Looking forward to your thoughts. Maybe I'm just reaching. But the chapter thing felt deliberate.
Daria

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Assassins » Thu Aug 11 2016 11:27pm

Hmm game gear eh? Gonna take some.figuring. Don't have that emulator and my computer is in a bad way right now
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby Daria » Fri Aug 12 2016 6:49am

I use Kega Fusion if that helps. :/
Daria

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force