Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

How do you select an eyes closed portrait?

Eyes Closed

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

How do you select an eyes closed portrait?

Postby Kane To The Max » Sat Aug 13 2016 8:52pm

Does anyone know how to trigger the portrait to have the character's eyes closed. I tried to mimic what happens to the King when he dies using [Dict] in the text, but that didn't work. Any thoughts or ideas?
Ha! I knew you couldn't hide in there forever! Come on out, little hero!
Ha! I knew you couldn't hide in there forever! Come on out, little hero!

Re: How do you select an eyes closed portrait?

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Aug 23 2016 5:33pm

My guess is that it's hardcoded into the event. I'm pretty sure the values for the location of the eyes closed and mouth open sprites are hardcoded also, so we cant add custom portraits without using the same locations or sacrificing the blinking and mouth movements all together.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: How do you select an eyes closed portrait?

Postby rubixcuber » Fri Sep 30 2016 5:07pm

It's part of the event scripting, yeah.

I opened up the script in the editor, it's script 5 and right after displaying that message when the king dies it does something I've just got labeled as 'Unknown 5'.

I was able to get Varios to close his eyes by inserting one of those Unknown 5 events into his script and making it's value '1' like the king's. So if you want to mimic that, you'll have to get comfortable with script editing!

I may play with that event a bit and get it labeled properly in the editor instead of just Unknown, since I seem to know what it does now!

As of a few days ago though, I've added the ability to add new portraits and edit the blink and mouth tiles, so that part is easily doable at least.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Return to Shining Force