Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Flight of the valkyries

A challenge

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Flight of the valkyries

Postby Assassins » Mon Sep 12 2016 6:56am

I'm about to embark on a journey through shining force one playing with just girl power. This will be difficult because you cannot have an entire party due to the lack of ladies, but the talent is there.

Also, since I will be playing vanilla with no mods, this won't be an iron man run through. So battle one is basically a Tao solo and so is battle two. Mae will make battle 3 possible, and I will have a healer for battle 4.

A side note: Tao and Mae are recognised by my auto correct. Khris was not until I added her. Amon and Anri neither.

So my final party will have one knight, three wizards, one vicar, one archer and one sky warrior.

Am I missing anybody?
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Re: Flight of the valkyries

Postby Lobo » Mon Sep 12 2016 12:25pm

I think that's that.

Will you be using a hack to side Max out, or is he going to be there all the time like a sultan of swing?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby sulfuroxp » Mon Sep 12 2016 12:29pm

maybe Domingo? Yogurt? ....
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Assassins » Mon Sep 12 2016 2:25pm

I'll have to level max up in order for him to survive certain battles, because I'll be playing on Xbox

So I'll just name him Maxine and use him until I have a "full" party.

I have no indication that Domingo is female, and no intention of using Jogurt
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby Caedmonball19 » Mon Sep 12 2016 4:16pm

I would agree on Domingo because in one of the SFCD games I believe there is a female Domingo character that is pink. So this Domingo I would consider male but really who knows :)
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Assassins » Mon Sep 12 2016 5:10pm

Also four wizard types is a bit much, and between Mae and Khris, I have a good solid number of tanks
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby RedShine » Mon Sep 12 2016 11:43pm

Assassins wrote:I'm about to embark on a journey through shining force one playing with just girl power. This will be difficult because you cannot have an entire party due to the lack of ladies, but the talent is there.

That's a very interesting idea. Too bad you'll be playing on console so it will be hard to capture.

Assassins wrote:So I'll just name him Maxine and use him until I have a "full" party.

I laughed a lot at this. If I was a decent spriter I'd happily create a "Maxine" for you to use.

Assassins wrote:I have no indication that Domingo is female, and no intention of using Jogurt

You could name Domingo as Amigo and solve the issue. It's not entirely outside canon, and a decent solution considering how starved for party members you'll be and also considering how late you get Alef.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Tue Sep 13 2016 1:24am

I love Domingo, but I don't even like that I have to use max but it is what I it is
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Sep 13 2016 3:26pm

making a hack to give you all the female characters at the start would be a simple fix really, I could modify the game for you if you'd like.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Tue Sep 13 2016 4:09pm

That would be cool

Edit:
Vanilla game
Mission report: Battle 1
Attempts 3
Deaths: Tao 1

The first step at the battle, Maxine would set them up, and Tao would knock them down, allowing for a level each. I egress after a dwarf kills Tao. The second attempt gives me a great level for Tao, 6 mp. Maxine is getting small stat bonuses, and I egress after Tao runs out of mp.

The third attempt is another windfall in mp for Tao and 4 attack for Maxine. I easily win the battle after letting Hans die on purpose. The next battle I plan to kill the rest off, since I will be getting my number one tank soon.

Edit2
Battle 2
Attempts 1
Deaths: 0
I'm not counting the guys as deaths, so we are clear, but all the dudes died.

Though not necessarily a rule, I wanted to see if I could beat battle 2 in one go, because I hate out and it is awful. Judicious use of blaze and Maxine spending the bulk of the battle sluggishly tanking goblins, I had just enough blaze to hit each rune knight once. Then I sent everyone into the meat grinder to free space. Then my fear was Maxine would not survive. However, she killed a rune knight, took a hit Ron the second rune knight and the dwarf, and managed to crit the second knight for 19 damage. I then beat on the dark dwarf and Tao finished it off with her staff.
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby wyldephang » Wed Sep 14 2016 3:51am

Very ambitious and creative challenge. :) I'm looking forward to seeing/reading how this pans out. I'd side with what appears to be majority opinion here and say that Domingo is probably meant to represent a male rather than female creature.
- Ryan
- Ryan
wyldephang

Postby RedShine » Wed Sep 14 2016 8:01am

ShininGeek wrote:making a hack to give you all the female characters at the start would be a simple fix really, I could modify the game for you if you'd like.

I'd love to be able to have Tao, Anri and Alef throughout the whole game myself. Mae is also my favorite centaur in SF1. Go, girls, go!

As for Domingo, he could be palette swapped to imitate Amigo, which I believe is female, despite the wording being essentially wrong. If Amigo is female it should have been called Amiga.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaladinTCO » Wed Sep 14 2016 10:17pm

if your palette swapping you could probably change the spell list to Amigo's. Although that would make her worse...
SaladinTCO

Postby Assassins » Thu Sep 15 2016 5:44am

Battle 3
Attempts: 1
With Mae in the party, I have more reliable damage and a decent tank. I accidentally grabbed gort, so he has to die off, but he is a tank in his own right.

At the start of the first attempt, I had east and take out the two bats with ease. Neither dodge, and Tao tasks one, Mae kills the other. I let Maxine and Mae take on the dwarves so Tao can conserve mp for the knights. Gort takes a few his, but I move him so I'm not abusing his tanking. Maxine tasks the bulk of the dwarf attacks, tasks one out and I let Mae kill the other two. There are two more dwarves to contend with, then I have to make a decision. Go for the bats first out take on the knights to ensure I have enough blaze to finish the battle.

Mae finishes the other two dwarves off and between her two level ups earns 5 defense. I then use gort to lure the knights out. The plan backfires as the bats close in on Maxine at the same time as the knights swarm and kill gort.

Maxine drops a bat and Mae and Tao tasks one knight out. Then all the cowards retreat. Mae is too intimidating for them. I decide to charge the other bats so I don't get surrounded again.

Maxine tasks two hits like a boss, then the knights charge again and Mae gets hit once. Tao users blaze two on a couple knights and Mae attacks her attacker. I keep them in the forest, but Tao is a bit exposed for my liking. Maxine keeps the bats at bay and the knights line up for a perfect blaze two. Tao is nearly killed for the set up but she scores three kills.and a terrible level up.

Maxine gets put to sleep by a bat, and a knight goes before Mae and kills Tao. Mae them goes twice in a row, killing the last knight and damaging the last bat. Maxine finishes the job and I finally enter Alterone

In Alterone I collect all the treasure, and get caight by Kane after he misgenders Maxine :)

Reviving Tao is a chore because I have to go through the entire dead roster.

Khris Travis the party and joins up, and it is time for battle 4

Battle 4
Attempts: 2
Deaths: Tao 2

I seriously frag up the first attempt by getting my party split by the bats as I had east. Tao gets mobbed and Khris nearly bites it. I get her to level before I flee.

The second attempt starts better as I manage to get all the dwarves and bats clustered together and dispatch them easily. I then march north at a pace that turns out to be a bit too over confidant. I lose Tao AGAIN to a double attack from a knight that snaked around Mae, and I nearly lose Maxine from a double attack as well. Khris keeps Maxine alive and the knights are quickly dispatched.

Khris is out of mp but I'm loaded with healing items, so I press on. Maxine kills a sniper in one hit and eats a blaze 2. Mae kills a sniper in two turns, Khris heals Maxine, then Maxine ends it.

I have learned that I need to be more careful with Tao, and keeping Anri alive will probably be a nightmare. Oh well. On to chapter 2
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Thu Sep 15 2016 11:33pm

So, after saying it several days ago, here is the mod. It gives you Mae, Anri, Alef, Diane, Khris, and Amon immediately after giving you Ken, Hans, Tao, Luke, and Lowe. They have all been set to start at level 1 with level 1 gear.

Flight of the Valkyries
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Fri Sep 16 2016 6:39am

Sweet. I'll give it a run after I finish this mode.

Battle 5
Attempts 1

This is one of my least favorite battles,as it begins with a bottleneck and has a plodding desert section.

My first pan is to use Mae and Tao to bust a hole through the dwarves and let Maxine and Khris go crazy. However turn order and bats Ron that plan and I have a mass of enemies to slowly chip away at. After finishing them off,I decide to go through the middle pass, and really kill off the three enemies. Maxine can one shot mashes and snipers, and Mae gets a kill with a little help from Tao. However upon leveling up, she gets no stats and I am enraged.

Unhappy about trying to fight the mass of zombies and mages, especially with all of my units except Maxine having low health, I had straight for the to of the map and that gets the mass moving to block my escape. Maxine kills a mage in one hit, and takes only a single zombie attack. Max is clear to enter town.

But instead I decide to frag around and try to finish the rest off. Tao nails two zombies and the last mage with a blaze two, but turn order screws Tao over. Mae kills the mage, and Khris and Maxine get to zombie mulching. Power staves boi.

Battle 6
Attempts 2
Deaths: Khris 1

The first attempt is just a warm-up to help catch Anri and Khris up, but it backfires when Khris is killed by a double attack. I retreat before I lose Anri, but not before I get her a level

The second attempt is much cleaner. Mae tasks up as my mages clear the first zombies, and the bridge is cleared with little problem. I move Mae and Maxine into position post the bridge and Mae gets swarmed and put to sleep. She and Maxine tank up and the mages and Khris stay mowing the bats down. Mae is repeatedly double attacked, but Khris manages a well timed healing.

I run Mae down to get the power ring because she needs it, and I move into position to kill me some mages

A note: it appears that Angel wings are not consumable, because Mae still had hers after using it. Neat

I easily clear out the mages by having Anri freeze one mage, Tao blaze 2 the lot of them, and Khris and Anri being the remainders to death.

Then the skeleton gets ganged up on by Tao, Mae and finally Anri for the easiest victory for this chapter.

Next is the showdown with marionette. Oh boy
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby RedShine » Fri Sep 16 2016 7:50am

ShininGeek wrote:So, after saying it several days ago, here is the mod. It gives you Mae, Anri, Alef, Diane, Khris, and Amon immediately after giving you Ken, Hans, Tao, Luke, and Lowe. They have all been set to start at level 1 with level 1 gear.

Awesome stuff, ShininGeek!
I'm quite eager to try it, myself, so thanks for making it.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Fri Sep 16 2016 8:12am

Battle 7
Attempts:

To start, it is not my intent to do this in one go, but Maxine and Mae both double hit and kill their targets easily. I think"oh what the heck" and try for it. I nearly lose Mae, because her low health makes her vulnerable to freeze 1, but Khris comes through in the clutch. Bats are easily dispatched and through mad bashing,I clear out the rest. I have Anri and Tao take out the clowns at a distance, then I start powering up people with the ring. Anri his for over half after power up, but marionette kills her and heals up a little. Tao attacks and I power Khris up but she misses and marionette kills Tao. Then I charge the rest, hoping Khris goes before the marionette, but the guy double attacks Maxine and I lose.

Off to bed. Attempt 2 later. Shame...Shame...Shame...
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby RedShine » Fri Sep 16 2016 8:27am

Ah, that battle is terrible even in optimal conditions.
It is of my opinion that Marionette having access to Freeze 3 so early in the game is a mistake on the programmer's part, though.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Sat Sep 17 2016 8:41pm

He doesn't seem to use freeze 3 when he has targets on melee range. On that note

Attempt two starts off the same as attempt one, Dwight double attacks so it only takes a little longer to clear the field. Maxine is put to sleep for 7 turns, while the rest of the force cleans house. My plan of streak this time is to have Mae boost herself, then attack. She his for a lot of damage, then gets double attacked. She survives, but now I charge in Anri Khris and Tao, the mages cat and Khris attacks. Khris bring s marionette down to two go, but he heals almost instantly. Mae misses and Tao and Anri only do 4 damage apiece. Khris also misses do Maxine had to come in and finish the job.

Totally what I should have done the first time
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Force