Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Flight of the valkyries

A challenge

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: Flight of the valkyries

Postby ShininGeek » Sun Sep 18 2016 4:59am

Be aware, I didn't test the rom at all, I just threw it together. There might be some issues, but the changes are so minor they might not have an impact on the game
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Sun Sep 18 2016 4:29pm

Battle 8
Attempts 2

Shade Abbey is a tough battle with the smaller force, and the precise reason I decided to even use max, now Maxine in the first place. Because you start in a very precious position, and because the skeletons deal pretty wicked damage.

The first attempt nearly goes awry at the get go, because Tao is nearly one shot, Mae is nearly killed by poison, and Anri is on the verge of death and poisoned. I egress swiftly and purchase some antidotes and cure the poisoned at the priest.

The second go is even more stressful, because Maxine gets surrounded and is constantly a double attack away from defeat. Khris empties ask her mp to keep him alive while Tao and Anri clear house and Mae misses every attack this battle.

I manage to clear everyone out and switch Mae to the spear to try and weaken the ghoul before the rest of the group gets there, but miss miss miss. She levels up anyways though. Tao hits with a blaze 2, Khris hits, Mae switches to lance and misses, Maxine hits, and Anri finishes the job
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Sun Sep 18 2016 8:46pm

Assassins wrote:...misses every attack this battle...

...try and weaken the ghoul before the rest of the group gets there, but miss miss miss...

...switches to lance and misses...

Ladies and gentlemen, Shining Force 1. :biggrin:
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Assassins » Mon Sep 19 2016 7:27am

Chapter 3 gives me Diane and Ammon, which will round out my team nicely. Kris is going to be a busy girl though.

Bustoke mines
Attempts 1
With Mae getting a shiny new power spear, and two new members in tow, I charge into the mines. Poetic that a team of ladies are set to rescue all the men of bustoke.

The plan is for Amon and Diane to hit all the soft targets while the rest bash some skeletons. Mae tasks some enemy fire from a mage, but that is the worst damage I receive in the battle. It is a clean sweep

Battle 10
Attempts 1
Diane and Amon have a big advantage on this map, and Mae is a clutch tank, taking hits for the mages. Amon has to retreat a few times to get healing, and machine is really suffering from having low defense. At this point, Maxine can no longer tank at all. It is too risky

Amon is not dealing the damage, so I have her boost herself to take on the last two Pegasus knights. Smoke rises from the ring, but that allows her to one for both. The final enemies are easily beat by Amon, Diane and Maxine.

Battle 11
Attempts 1
Laser eye makes this battle. To bad the bad guys wasted the placement her. The one advantage to having a small party is that you can fit a higher percentage of your team on the safe spot on the bridge. However I am one walker two much, so I move my team to wait. A lone lizard man charges and is dispatched by Mae and Diane.

Then I pay the waiting game, and Amon draws on a Pegasus. Mae and Diane take it out and the eye fires. The mass charge begins, Pegasus knights attack, and Mae takes out one lizard man. The enemy cleric heals itself, the team clears out the Pegasus knights and the last lizard, and Mae attacks an archer. She receives a heavy attack and a second attack and is almost killed. Seems she is in desperate need of defense and hp as well.

Am enemy rune knight charges, and hits Anri, but is finished. Kris doles it healing, and Mae charges behind the eye. Everyone gets to safety just in time for the eye to fire.

The team charges, and Maxine gets hit hard by an elf, but the team manages to crash through and Tao, Amon and Mae take out the eye.

The last enemies are finished easily and chapter 3 is conquered under par
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby RedShine » Fri Sep 23 2016 9:33pm

Thank you for the continued logs.
Laser Eye, for as much of a trump card as Runefaust touts it to be, is pretty easy to dispatch. Not to mention it likes to fry its own allies.

I'd say with a "commando" force as it is now, the battle is probably easier than with a full complement.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Sat Sep 24 2016 1:50am

Battle:12
Attempts 4

The battle against Elliott is personally one of my favorite battles to grind, since the enemies cluster together perfectly, but with my dna team of low defense characters, it can be dangerous, because of the lizard man with the heat axe and the big man himself. I purposely retreat twice to get all my people about the same level, and the third attempt I lose Tao early due to poor planning.

The final attempt is all about keeping my party on good enough shape to beat Elliot. I target heat axe purposely to get him out of the way, and Mae, Amon and Maxine take some hits to keep the party alive

After the lizard and Pegasus knights go down, the useless healers are easily quashed. Silver knights charge to no avail and are crushed quickly.

A side note, silver knights suck. They are basically obsolete when they show up and are worse than enemies that show up before them.

To prepare for Elliott, I boost Diane, who has fallen behind a little, which cracks the power ring, and I use quick on Maxine. Mae one shoots the artillery
and Mac attacks Elliott. It is a dog pile, but Diane misses both times she attacks. Machine takes a double, but boosted defense spares. I heal, but Machine takes another hit and I retreat before quick ends. Amon finished the job, and it's on to the fortress.

Mae gets promoted first so I will be able to get her defense back up quick and she is the first to 15, which is the level omen promoting everyone but Alef
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby RedShine » Sat Sep 24 2016 2:20am

Mae is really an important part of the force, just as I thought she would be.
Congrats on beating Elliott.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Sat Sep 24 2016 2:42am

Without Mae, this would be impossible, or at the very best, improbable
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby RedShine » Sat Sep 24 2016 2:53am

From your logs, it seems that Diane is not pulling her weight though. I can't help but imagine your all-girl party arguing over it during the lulls of battle, haha.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Sat Sep 24 2016 3:10am

Right note she is just behind in levels but she had a pretty good attack. You'll see in a moment.

So I tried to post my update and all of it disappears. Great Googly moogly
The failblood.
The failblood.
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Previous

Return to Shining Force