Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0d Released 02/01/18

Updated Character and Weapon sprites

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v2.1 Released 5/10/18

Postby Erikin84 » Tue May 15 2018 12:08am

Runesamurai wrote:There was a simple solution if you wanted to keep Gort as a sword user and Luke as an axe user. You actually could've just edited the bookshelf to say "Sword Techniques" and "Hunt for the Sword of Legend" instead of "Hand Axe Techniques" and "Hunt for the Axe of Legend."

But now that I think about it this was a good idea. I like how Gort's and Luke's Map Sprites have been altered since Luke starts with a sword and Gort starts with an axe.

I do have a few more suggestions:

1. Personal weapon for Balbazak.
2. Please try to re-add the Imperial Mace. It was a great idea. It always annoyed me how they said Ramladu was wielding a Holy Staff when it was clearly a Mace.
3. Please add the Levanter. It looks too awesome not to include.
4. Some Force Members get their own personal weapons as well like in Fire Emblem. I picture Anri having a scepter. The Power Staff looks like a scepter and she comes equipped with it so I think I know where they were going with this. I think Anri's personal weapon should be called "Royal Scepter" .
5. More Weapons from Shining Force 2 because why not?

EDIT: Also you said you edited the Chaos Breaker for consistency with Shining Force 2 but I don't think the Chaos Breaker and The Force Sword are the same weapon. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

They are technically the same weapon, just named differently. At least that's what the wiki says :)
As far as everything else, perhaps. It is something I can look into in the future. The biggest issue I'm running into is the corruption when adding new weapon sprites. It's something I'll have to think about. It's not currently on my agenda at the moment, but we'll see.
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Tue May 15 2018 7:11am

Erikin84 wrote:They are technically the same weapon, just named differently. At least that's what the wiki says :)

Ah I see. I did not know that.
Erikin84 wrote:As far as everything else, perhaps. It is something I can look into in the future. The biggest issue I'm running into is the corruption when adding new weapon sprites. It's something I'll have to think about. It's not currently on my agenda at the moment, but we'll see.

Best of luck. :)

EDIT: I just tried to import the Imperial Mace into my game and then THIS happened. :confused:

I must be doing something wrong. :eyebrow:
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Sun May 20 2018 12:04pm

I see it’s a older version of the SFGU, and when the playable Kane patch was supported... how did you import the mace?
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Sun May 20 2018 8:43pm

Erikin84 wrote:I see it’s a older version of the SFGU, and when the playable Kane patch was supported... how did you import the mace?

Yes. I downloaded it before you took it down. I simply went to weapons and clicked on where it said File and then clicked on Import and chose from where I saved the image of the weapon you provided on sfmods.com.

EDIT: I'm definitely doing something completely wrong here.

DOUBLE EDIT: I can't seem to import and export images correctly for some reason. I must be using the wrong file type or something.

TRIPLE EDIT: I do hope something can be done about the The Knightly Saber sharing the same sprite as the Oath Keeper eventually. I feel it takes away from the uniqueness of Elliott's weapon.

QUADRUPLE EDIT: You removed the Kindan No Hako...The only item among that group worth keeping...Why would you do this? :( The group I'm referring to is the list of items people call the "useless" items. The Kenji, Teppou, Kaku-chan, and Youji.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Tue May 29 2018 3:40pm

Quick update, with Rubix back and possibly extending capabilities of the SF1 editor. Most of the issues with limits will be alleviated. I will update this mod in due time when the editor is updated.
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Jun 09 2018 4:15am

Bumping this for ya fam.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Mon Jun 11 2018 1:44pm

Much appreciated. When I finish SFA I’ll update this mod. Maybe even throw in some new patches for other existing mods for those who want them
Erikin84

Postby Red_Shine » Mon Jun 11 2018 9:28pm

This mod makes SF1 look incredible, congratulations, I'm definitely combining this with the Brothers Mod for my next playthrough. I hope you eventually make something similar for SF2, too!
Red_Shine

Postby Erikin84 » Tue Jun 12 2018 4:23pm

Red_Shine wrote:This mod makes SF1 look incredible, congratulations, I'm definitely combining this with the Brothers Mod for my next playthrough. I hope you eventually make something similar for SF2, too!

Thanks, it was a lot of work getting it to function with the older editor version. But now it’ll be much easier to manage. When SFA is done I’ll be redoing this mod with new assets
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Jun 12 2018 5:43pm

Red_Shine wrote:This mod makes SF1 look incredible, congratulations, I'm definitely combining this with the Brothers Mod for my next playthrough. I hope you eventually make something similar for SF2, too!

I second this. SF2 could really use a makeover as well. Maybe not as much as this game but some things in it certainly could. Like the Dark Sword and Levanter etc. It always annoyed me how the Dark Sword looks when wielded by Lemon or someone on the force. It really didn't make any sense.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Red_Shine » Tue Jun 12 2018 7:14pm

That, and how awful promoted Bowie looks in battle. His colors and his head look extremely weird to me and I don't have the talent to improve it, despite trying in many different ways (adapting, Max's face, using Nick's body as a template for a less gaudy looking promo sprite...)
Red_Shine

Postby Erikin84 » Tue Jun 12 2018 9:23pm

It’s something I can consider, however I haven’t used caravan or much of any other editor for SF2, any suggestions?
Erikin84

Postby Red_Shine » Tue Jun 12 2018 9:41pm

Caravan is quirky, but if you combine it with SF2 Editor, it should give you a similar functionality to that of the SF1 Editor (SF2ed is mostly for editing data like growth curves and the like).
If memory serves, Caravan can't edit sprites directly, so you'd have to export, work on them on an image editing program and then import, so it's an extra hoop.

You probably know this, but you need an image editing program that supports indexed palettes, or things won't load properly (something like GIMP). If you'd like to laugh, I should still have my attempts at editing Bowie somewhere on my hard disk, haha.
Red_Shine

Postby Erikin84 » Wed Jun 13 2018 3:21pm

I primarily use paint to do my editing. Since there isn’t a history state in the editor you can easily go back if you make a mistake.
Erikin84

Postby Red_Shine » Wed Jun 13 2018 6:54pm

If that's the case I suggest Paint.Net as an upgrade. It is free and adds more resources to the program like layers.
Red_Shine

Postby Erikin84 » Wed Jun 13 2018 8:55pm

Red_Shine wrote:If that's the case I suggest Paint.Net as an upgrade. It is free and adds more resources to the program like layers.

That would be nice :) i’ll take a look at it. Thanks
Erikin84

Postby Red_Shine » Thu Jun 14 2018 3:38am

To add to my previous post, this could be helpful to Erkin84
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1405/

This is a GIMP plugin that can work with several video game image formats. Perhaps it will be helpful too, along with Paint.NET.
Red_Shine

Postby Runesamurai » Mon Jun 25 2018 10:16pm

I miss this overhaul so bad.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Tue Jun 26 2018 4:57pm

Runesamurai wrote:I miss this overhaul so bad.

You’re talking like it’s abandoned :)

When I finish Shining Force Alternate I am going to redo this mod with all the assets I have made and new ones available. Just be patient
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Jun 26 2018 10:57pm

Erikin84 wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:I miss this overhaul so bad.

You’re talking like it’s abandoned :)

When I finish Shining Force Alternate I am going to redo this mod with all the assets I have made and new ones available. Just be patient

I'm truly going to miss Promoted Adam's sprite. I have to be honest. But that's good.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force