Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0d Released 02/01/19

Updated Character and Weapon sprites

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force 1.1 Released

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Mar 17 2018 9:32pm

Erikin84 wrote:I have tested it and it works fine, i went through Varios' starting dialogue with no crashing. and you'll have to be more specific with the "weird" in editor.

That's why I said: "Apparently 1.4 is not compatible with the Playable Kane mod. You need a normal non-modded SF1 Rom for it to work." The graphics all looked messed up and the weapon letters were all scrambled when I applied this patch over the Kane Patch. I still have the first one and it works just fine. The current one also worked when I tried applying it to a normal non-modded SF1 Rom. Great job by the way.

EDIT: Say, Could you PM me the 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 versions of the patch please? I never got to try them. Putting them on the first page or posting them here works too.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force Graphics Upgrade 1.4 Released

Postby Tyadran » Sun Mar 18 2018 6:56am

Alright, Runesamurai. You're personally doing something wrong with the patch because I have now tested it myself and it works fine.

Please refrain from replying here when you have issues and instead confirm that someone else is having issues first.
In any case I've asked for Erikin to simply include the Kane mod in his graphics patch from now on so there should be no possible issues with applying the two patches.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Sun Mar 18 2018 10:31am

My apologies. I will ask first. I just don't understand what the problem is. I took a normal SF1 Rom and then applied the Kane Patch followed by the 1.4 Patch. That didn't work so after that I applied 1.4 to a normal SF1 Rom instead and then it worked. Only problem is Kane is not playable and I'm back with Jogurt again... :(

Maybe it's shenanigans...O_o
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tyadran » Sun Mar 18 2018 10:41am

The 1.4 download has been updated anyway. The KR/GU patch includes both and can be applied to an unmodified game.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Sun Mar 18 2018 1:20pm

I applied the wrong patch over the Kane mod. My bad. *facedesks*

Excellent job Erikin. This mod is awesome.

EDIT: And thank you as well Tyadran.

DOUBLE EDIT: This is amazing. I love what you've done with this version. You're both awesome for doing this. :thumbsup:

Tyadran wrote:It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).

Why would anyone not want to have Kane on their team in place of Jogurt though?
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Tue Mar 20 2018 8:58pm

Runesamurai wrote:I applied the wrong patch over the Kane mod. My bad. *facedesks*

Excellent job Erikin. This mod is awesome.

EDIT: And thank you as well Tyadran.

DOUBLE EDIT: This is amazing. I love what you've done with this version. You're both awesome for doing this. :thumbsup:

Tyadran wrote:It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).

Why would anyone not want to have Kane on their team in place of Jogurt though?

Everyone’s got their preference. I personally love the idea of having Kane join, but not everyone may agree.
Erikin84

Postby Tyadran » Tue Mar 20 2018 9:02pm

They may not like my writing, or they may not like that Hans is stuck unable to promote, etc. There are a few reasons.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Wed Mar 21 2018 1:11pm

Tyadran wrote:They may not like my writing, or they may not like that Hans is stuck unable to promote, etc. There are a few reasons.

I know I certainly liked it. I never want to go back to the normal version of the game ever again now that I can have Kane with me. Kane is my all-time favorite Shining Force character and I've wished he could join for about as long as I can remember. So being able to have him on my team is literally a dream come true for me. But yes I do rather dislike not being able to promote Hans and the Jogurt Ring being replaced by a second medical herb. The bug where Hans gets an herb every time he kills an enemy can actually be fixed by going to the editor and unchecking where it says "Dropped by Enemies" by the way.

@Erikin: What changes did you make yesterday?
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Wed Mar 21 2018 9:26pm

Runesamurai wrote:
Tyadran wrote:They may not like my writing, or they may not like that Hans is stuck unable to promote, etc. There are a few reasons.

I know I certainly liked it. I never want to go back to the normal version of the game ever again now that I can have Kane with me. Kane is my all-time favorite Shining Force character and I've wished he could join for about as long as I can remember. So being able to have him on my team is literally a dream come true for me. But yes I do rather dislike not being able to promote Hans and the Jogurt Ring being replaced by a second medical herb. The bug where Hans gets an herb every time he kills an enemy can actually be fixed by going to the editor and unchecking where it says "Dropped by Enemies" by the way.

@Erikin: What changes did you make yesterday?

Just working on the staffs and the icons. Felt like if every other weapon got a face lift, might as well do the same for the staffs. I’ll probably release it with 1.5 this week
Erikin84

Re: Shining Force Graphics Upgrade 1.5 Released

Postby Runesamurai » Thu Mar 22 2018 2:17am

Sweet. Hope you accept my apology.

EDIT: Nevermind just saw your PM. :)
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby stefanos2k10 » Thu Mar 22 2018 2:58pm

can i just patch 1.4 to 1.5? or would i need to put 1.5 on a clean copy?
stefanos2k10

Postby Erikin84 » Thu Mar 22 2018 4:31pm

stefanos2k10 wrote:can i just patch 1.4 to 1.5? or would i need to put 1.5 on a clean copy?
the patch is meant for a clean copy. You can try renaming the new .bin to match your existing game, and when you open the game through your emulator of choice, it may let you continue with your old save state.
Erikin84

Postby Tyadran » Thu Mar 22 2018 4:33pm

If you keep releasing updates at this rate, it may be nice to include "upgrade" patches like I did with one of my old mods, that does go on the previous version to change it to the new one.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby stefanos2k10 » Thu Mar 22 2018 4:43pm

thanks for info guess ill wait till your finished making updates before i play through
stefanos2k10

Postby Erikin84 » Thu Mar 22 2018 4:48pm

Tyadran wrote:If you keep releasing updates at this rate, it may be nice to include "upgrade" patches like I did with one of my old mods, that does go on the previous version to change it to the new one.

Thanks, I don’t know how many more updates I’ll be doing since I’m running out of things to change :) but if I make any more updates I’ll be sure to do that
Erikin84

Postby stefanos2k10 » Thu Mar 22 2018 5:32pm

ill just wait for final update myself :) @erikin84 just let me no when your done :D
stefanos2k10

Postby Erikin84 » Thu Mar 22 2018 11:34pm

stefanos2k10 wrote:ill just wait for final update myself :) @erikin84 just let me no when your done :D

I have made a patch for version 1.4 for anyone who is doing a playthrough and wants to get the newest version.
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Fri Mar 23 2018 1:57pm

Erikin84 wrote:
Tyadran wrote:If you keep releasing updates at this rate, it may be nice to include "upgrade" patches like I did with one of my old mods, that does go on the previous version to change it to the new one.

Thanks, I don’t know how many more updates I’ll be doing since I’m running out of things to change :) but if I make any more updates I’ll be sure to do that

If I might make a few suggestions:

1. Have you considered changing Mishaela's battle sprite? Hers doesn't match her portrait either. I was glad RotDD fixed it. Great job on Tao, Anri, Alef, Torasu and Lowe.

2. Maybe replace the useless items with something else like new weapons or new items? I'm talking about the Kenji, Teppou and Youji? Cuz those don't really do anything or serve any purpose. The Kaku-Chan as well for the normal game. For the Kane version I would replace the 2nd herb instead. Just making an innocent suggestion is all.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Fri Mar 23 2018 5:59pm

Runesamurai wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:

If I might make a few suggestions:

1. Have you considered changing Mishaela's battle sprite? Hers doesn't match her portrait either. I was glad RotDD fixed it. Great job on Tao, Anri, Alef, Torasu and Lowe.

2. Maybe replace the useless items with something else like new weapons or new items? I'm talking about the Kenji, Teppou and Youji? Cuz those don't really do anything or serve any purpose. The Kaku-Chan as well for the normal game. For the Kane version I would replace the 2nd herb instead. Just making an innocent suggestion is all.

They do sound like cool ideas, I’ll see what I can do for Mishaela. As far as the useless items, idk. I don’t want to change too much that isn’t graphic oriented
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Fri Mar 23 2018 7:59pm

No worries. You're awesome for making this. I love what you've done with the Swords. They couldn't be better. They're so nice and long and look so epic now. Have been much more fun to use. :)

EDIT: I see you have 1.6 out now. Sweet. I'm glad you liked my idea. :) I'm a pretty worthy connoisseur of mods if I do say so myself so I'll be happy to help try to support you with new ideas. I think you should consider replacing the Kenji, Teppou and Youji with something else. Like maybe weapons exclusive only to the villains. For example, you'll notice Elliott, Balbazak and Ramladu all wield the Long Sword, Steel Sword and Holy Staff respectively. But the weapons shown in their battle sprites do not match what their profile says they're wielding. Maybe add some kind of Claymore for Elliott and a mace for Ramladu? Not sure what to do with Balbazak's weapon.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh thank you so much! And it's perfect!

TRIPLE EDIT: Oh nice. That's a great idea actually. It makes sense for her to appear in human form as a disguise when you first meet her.

QUADRUPLE EDIT:
Plans: Working on adding another merged patch for a different mod...

Oh man I can't wait!

QUINTUPLE EDIT: If possible can you make Kane playable in these other patches too please? I love Darkwolf's, Domblade's and Lobo's mods. But I really wish Kane was playable in them.

SEXTUPLE EDIT: OMG YES!!! Is Kane now playable in Lobo's Mod with this?

SEPTUPLE EDIT: You should definitely edit the Levanter, Flail, and Doom Bolt in Lobo's mod so that they show up and have attack animation when equipped to the force. Maybe the Imperial Mace too just for the heck of it. Though it might make more sense for it to be an enemy exclusive weapon like how Cameela's Iron Ball was in Shining Force 2.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force