Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0e Released 07/01/19

Updated Character and Weapon sprites

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: Shining Force Graphics Upgrade 1.5 Released

Postby Erikin84 » Fri Mar 30 2018 8:30pm

Runesamurai wrote:No worries. You're awesome for making this. I love what you've done with the Swords. They couldn't be better. They're so nice and long and look so epic now. Have been much more fun to use. :)

EDIT: I see you have 1.6 out now. Sweet. I'm glad you liked my idea. :) I'm a pretty worthy connoisseur of mods if I do say so myself so I'll be happy to help try to support you with new ideas. I think you should consider replacing the Kenji, Teppou and Youji with something else. Like maybe weapons exclusive only to the villains. For example, you'll notice Elliott, Balbazak and Ramladu all wield the Long Sword, Steel Sword and Holy Staff respectively. But the weapons shown in their battle sprites do not match what their profile says they're wielding. Maybe add some kind of Claymore for Elliott and a mace for Ramladu? Not sure what to do with Balbazak's weapon.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh thank you so much! And it's perfect!

TRIPLE EDIT: Oh nice. That's a great idea actually. It makes sense for her to appear in human form as a disguise when you first meet her.

QUADRUPLE EDIT:
Plans: Working on adding another merged patch for a different mod...

Oh man I can't wait!

QUINTUPLE EDIT: If possible can you make Kane playable in these other patches too please? I love Darkwolf's, Domblade's and Lobo's mods. But I really wish Kane was playable in them.

SEXTUPLE EDIT: OMG YES!!! Is Kane now playable in Lobo's Mod with this?

SEPTUPLE EDIT: You should definitely edit the Levanter, Flail, and Doom Bolt in Lobo's mod so that they show up and have attack animation when equipped to the force. Maybe the Imperial Mace too just for the heck of it. Though it might make more sense for it to be an enemy exclusive weapon like how Cameela's Iron Ball was in Shining Force 2.

Thanks, I am actually working on updating Kane's battle sprite (he will have his own now). Im still in contact with the other mod authors to receive their permission to make such a change.

Lobo's Brothers mod v2.2 was the test version i did for this. So far it looks great! It'll take some time to integrate all the changes necessary for it to work. But it's on my agenda for v1.9

Stay tuned!
Erikin84

Re: Shining Force Graphics Upgrade 1.8 Released

Postby Runesamurai » Fri Mar 30 2018 8:49pm

Erikin84 wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:No worries. You're awesome for making this. I love what you've done with the Swords. They couldn't be better. They're so nice and long and look so epic now. Have been much more fun to use. :)

EDIT: I see you have 1.6 out now. Sweet. I'm glad you liked my idea. :) I'm a pretty worthy connoisseur of mods if I do say so myself so I'll be happy to help try to support you with new ideas. I think you should consider replacing the Kenji, Teppou and Youji with something else. Like maybe weapons exclusive only to the villains. For example, you'll notice Elliott, Balbazak and Ramladu all wield the Long Sword, Steel Sword and Holy Staff respectively. But the weapons shown in their battle sprites do not match what their profile says they're wielding. Maybe add some kind of Claymore for Elliott and a mace for Ramladu? Not sure what to do with Balbazak's weapon.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh thank you so much! And it's perfect!

TRIPLE EDIT: Oh nice. That's a great idea actually. It makes sense for her to appear in human form as a disguise when you first meet her.

QUADRUPLE EDIT:
Plans: Working on adding another merged patch for a different mod...

Oh man I can't wait!

QUINTUPLE EDIT: If possible can you make Kane playable in these other patches too please? I love Darkwolf's, Domblade's and Lobo's mods. But I really wish Kane was playable in them.

SEXTUPLE EDIT: OMG YES!!! Is Kane now playable in Lobo's Mod with this?

SEPTUPLE EDIT: You should definitely edit the Levanter, Flail, and Doom Bolt in Lobo's mod so that they show up and have attack animation when equipped to the force. Maybe the Imperial Mace too just for the heck of it. Though it might make more sense for it to be an enemy exclusive weapon like how Cameela's Iron Ball was in Shining Force 2.

Thanks, I am actually working on updating Kane's battle sprite (he will have his own now). Im still in contact with the other mod authors to receive their permission to make such a change.

Lobo's Brothers mod v2.2 was the test version i did for this. So far it looks great! It'll take some time to integrate all the changes necessary for it to work. But it's on my agenda for v1.9

Stay tuned!

Will his attack animation still be the same? It matches his enemy battle sprite's fighting style after all. If not I feel like Promoted Max should be the one to get a battle sprite change instead. Maybe the one based on what he had in RotDD?
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Sat Mar 31 2018 12:09am

Stay tuned![/quote]
Will his attack animation still be the same? It matches his enemy battle sprite's fighting style after all. If not I feel like Promoted Max should be the one to get a battle sprite change instead. Maybe the one based on what he had in RotDD?[/quote]

Right now, Kane's attack animation is that sequence used at the end of the game(last hit on Dark dragon). I will put up a preview pic of what it looks like
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Mar 31 2018 2:47am

Erikin84 wrote:Right now, Kane's attack animation is that sequence used at the end of the game(last hit on Dark dragon). I will put up a preview pic of what it looks like

It makes sense for Kane to have the same attack animation as promoted Max when you think about it though. If you look closely, Kane's enemy Battle Sprite fights the exact same way.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v1.8 Released 03/29/18

Postby Remuko » Sat Mar 31 2018 5:34am

I cant say I'm a fan of the bright neon pink on Mae. The white horse fur and red shield was plenty imo. The Pink just seems to shout "THIS ONE IS A GIRL" and just feels really gross and unneeded. But in the end this was my by you, for you and youre just sharing it in hopes others might like it too. Nice work, even if I don't agree with that one change.
Remuko

Postby Erikin84 » Sat Mar 31 2018 8:13am

Remuko wrote:I cant say I'm a fan of the bright neon pink on Mae. The white horse fur and red shield was plenty imo. The Pink just seems to shout "THIS ONE IS A GIRL" and just feels really gross and unneeded. But in the end this was my by you, for you and youre just sharing it in hopes others might like it too. Nice work, even if I don't agree with that one change.

I appreciate your objectivity on that :) The other reason for that was to have pelle use the red colors, since his map sprite has red....Maybe i could make pelle's color green...then mae red...decisions decisions
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Mar 31 2018 9:41am

As for my opinions I don't understand why Gort has a sword in his map sprites. He's kinda supposed to be all about Axes. If you go to his house and read his bookshelf you'll notice it too. I don't really like the red on Kane's outfit or the changes to Max's sprites either. But aside from that I love everything else. Right now I'm using version 1.7. Great mod. The weapons and mages couldn't be better. I love their new appearance. Luke is perfect now. Gong's new look makes more sense too.

I still think it would make more sense to let Kane keep Promoted Max's Attack animation and replace promoted Max's with something else since enemy Kane fights just like Promoted Max. If you look closely at the way he swings his sword when he attacks you'll notice it's exactly the same as Promoted Max's even though he's Dual Wielding in his enemy sprites.

EDIT: I do love the new design you gave Kane. It's glorious. But at the very least I think you should have an alternate version of the patch for people like me who would rather see Kane's animation the same as before. Your new animation choice is great too. But I just think it makes more sense for Kane to keep his old attack animation since his enemy sprite also used it.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kane To The Max » Sun Apr 01 2018 2:17am

These all look great. One suggestion since you're so good at these graphics.

Any thoughts to have Bleu when he's promoted have dragon wings instead of the feathery looking wings in the original. That always bothered me. Awesome work!
Ha! I knew you couldn't hide in there forever! Come on out, little hero!

Postby Erikin84 » Sun Apr 01 2018 4:48am

Kane To The Max wrote:These all look great. One suggestion since you're so good at these graphics.

Any thoughts to have Bleu when he's promoted have dragon wings instead of the feathery looking wings in the original. That always bothered me. Awesome work!

That is possible, since the map sprite doesnt really give off the vibe of feathers, like the birdmen do. However, I should tread safely, people tend to get testy when you alter characters, especially one as popular as bleu :)
Erikin84

Postby Kane To The Max » Sun Apr 01 2018 6:31am

I hear ya. Would look great though. Making some updates to your Mishaela, adding depth to her cloak. I've been working on my ROM off and on for years now. Wish I just knew more about editing scripts better. Your work has inspired me to continue.

Postby Erikin84 » Sun Apr 01 2018 6:36pm

Kane To The Max wrote:I hear ya. Would look great though. Making some updates to your Mishaela, adding depth to her cloak. I've been working on my ROM off and on for years now. Wish I just knew more about editing scripts better. Your work has inspired me to continue.

Cool, if and when you finished Mishaela, I'd love to see it. I'll add it to this mod if you wish. I'm not by any means a "artist" but I try. I welcome anyone's sprites if they want it included here.
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Mon Apr 02 2018 2:29am

Kane new battle sprite.png
Erikin84 wrote:
Kane To The Max wrote:I hear ya. Would look great though. Making some updates to your Mishaela, adding depth to her cloak. I've been working on my ROM off and on for years now. Wish I just knew more about editing scripts better. Your work has inspired me to continue.

Cool, if and when you finished Mishaela, I'd love to see it. I'll add it to this mod if you wish. I'm not by any means a "artist" but I try. I welcome anyone's sprites if they want it included here.

Here's what I did with Kane:
Kane new battle sprite.png

Yours looks much better now though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kane To The Max » Mon Apr 02 2018 3:32pm

Erikin84 wrote:

Will do. Do you know to change to the promoted battle sprite in the editor? All it has is their first battle sprite. I want Lowe and Torasu to have different promoted battle sprites.

Postby Erikin84 » Mon Apr 02 2018 5:02pm

Kane To The Max wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:

Will do. Do you know to change to the promoted battle sprite in the editor? All it has is their first battle sprite. I want Lowe and Torasu to have different promoted battle sprites.

I’m at work, but I think their promoted sprite is sprite 25, just scroll through all the options you’ll run into them. you can import a different sprite in place of that, just make sure the palette has all the colors needed. It’ll take some finesse but it is possible.
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Mon Apr 02 2018 10:06pm

Erikin84 wrote:I’m at work, but I think their promoted sprite is sprite 25, just scroll through all the options you’ll run into them. you can import a different sprite in place of that, just make sure the palette has all the colors needed. It’ll take some finesse but it is possible.

How do I change the map sprite of a force member without using extended characters? This is especially frustrating since extended characters doesn't even work.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Erikin84 » Tue Apr 03 2018 5:59pm

Runesamurai wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:I’m at work, but I think their promoted sprite is sprite 25, just scroll through all the options you’ll run into them. you can import a different sprite in place of that, just make sure the palette has all the colors needed. It’ll take some finesse but it is possible.

How do I change the map sprite of a force member without using extended characters? This is especially frustrating since extended characters doesn't even work.

You’d just import a new sprite over the spot that character is currenter using. Since all force memeber use a single palette, you’d just need to make sure the colors your using are supported. For example, Max’s sprite number is set to 0 unpromoted, and 30 promoted.
Erikin84

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Apr 03 2018 7:25pm

Erikin84 wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:

You’d just import a new sprite over the spot that character is currenter using. Since all force memeber use a single palette, you’d just need to make sure the colors your using are supported. For example, Max’s sprite number is set to 0 unpromoted, and 30 promoted.

I can't figure out how to change the number without using extended characters. And sadly extended characters doesn't work and will screw up your game. And it won't be fixed until rubixcuber returns. IF he returns...
Erikin84 wrote:Plans:
Working on possible new weapon sprites/items based on certain enemy characters that can be dropped and used by force members.

Oh Yes! Please do! And you should really consider making sprites for the enemy weapons in Lobo's mod. Like the Levanter, Flail, Doom Bolt, Giant Club, and Imperial Mace. They kind of need it considering they don't display at all when equipped to someone on the force.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kane To The Max » Thu Apr 05 2018 5:17pm

Does anyone know how to make the extra weapon sprites work? The tool allows you to add sprites, but when you reference the sprite slot for the weapon, it appears blank in a battle screen.

Also, anyone ever notice, even in an unmodified rom, that the arrow sprite is in slot 14 but it references 15 in the item screen. I looked through every item and there is no 14 reference.

Postby Erikin84 » Fri Apr 06 2018 12:58am

Kane To The Max wrote:Does anyone know how to make the extra weapon sprites work? The tool allows you to add sprites, but when you reference the sprite slot for the weapon, it appears blank in a battle screen.

Also, anyone ever notice, even in an unmodified rom, that the arrow sprite is in slot 14 but it references 15 in the item screen. I looked through every item and there is no 14 reference.

The reason for arrow being referenced as 15 is because you have to account for slot 0. As for the weapon slots, you add 16 to the number of your slot. So for example = if you make one new sprite, It is labeled as "15". When you go to the animation selection part. Here is what you do to make your new sprite to appear.
Equipped weapon type = 15
(select which animation it should use, if your doing a simple sword for unpromoted max, it would be 0)
Display weapon type = 31

(you have to add 16 to whatever slot your new sprite is in (15 + 16 = 31). Then the new sprite will work.

I just figured this out last night (found it in the SF1 editor comment section)

So if you made another sprite(another sword for unpromoted max), you'd use 16 0 32 and so on.

Armed with this new knowledge, i'll be adding more sprites to weapons to reduce or eliminate palette swapping
Erikin84

Postby Kane To The Max » Fri Apr 06 2018 3:30am

Awesome! Thanks so much. I wonder if that same logic works for adding additional force member sprites.

On another note. I hadn't seen too much information on how the AI works for enemies. I spent a lot of time on it and figured some things out. Not sure if it is common knowledge that I just couldn't find in the forums, but I know when and how an enemy will move. The battles I've been working on are pretty neat.

Again, if people already know this, I missed it. Nevertheless, I'm happy I figured it out. I'll elaborate more if it isn't common knowledge.
Last edited by Kane To The Max on Fri Apr 06 2018 2:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force