Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0e Released 07/01/19

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02 2018 6:31am
by Erikin84
Hello everyone!

I've been working on a Graphic Upgrade mod for Shining Force 2, but in the meantime, I thought this little update would hold some of you over :) Most notable additions in this version is Jogurt promotes and can use all weapons but staffs! And that's not all, his Jogurt ring is now a suit(makes more sense to me, anyway) it functions the same, and I added some frames so depending on whose using the suit, you may get different results in the order of frames used in-game.

If you run into any issues, please reach out to me here or at SFmods.com and I will look into it and resolve it as soon as I am able.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can download the IPS patch here, you will need an unmodified .bin file of Shining Force:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YOIk9 ... Oaxi_R9F0J

Here is a quick preview of what is in this mod:
New weapon sprites for all classes.
New Battle sprites for all characters. No more palette swaps!
More unique kings(no more "Attack of the clone kings" during your playthrough)
Unique enemy types, these do not replace existing enemies, all battles should work exactly the same, you'll just have more variety in enemies to face.
Mishaela has a slightly different introduction and dialogue in earlier chapters. She has her own sprite that actually looks like her...
The only thing I have done that wasn't exclusively Graphic oriented, was Jogurt. He now levels/promotes to a Yogurt Hero and can cast spells, his stats are based on Arthur's at the moment, and he can use all weapons. Why? Because he's Batman...I mean Jogurt!

A quick shout out to those who helped make this possible:
WARNING: SPOILER!

===================================================================

Release notes:
WARNING: SPOILER!

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08 2018 12:17pm
by Runesamurai
Excellent work. I really look forward to playing this. But don't forget to credit Tyadran since you're using some of his sprites.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08 2018 8:08pm
by Tyadran
? I didn't edit any sprites, they're just palette swaps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08 2018 8:19pm
by LordOddEye
Erikin84,

This looks pretty interesting I'm definitely looking forward to see how you progress with this. I will check in again soon. I'm planning to do another run through with Tyadran's mod so this is perfect.

By the way welcome to the community I see this is your first post I'd like to greet you on behalf of everyone.

Best Regards,

LordOddEye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 2018 1:46am
by DiegoMM
Excelent job. SF1 needs a graphic overhaul like this. You plan to do more changes?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 2018 1:49am
by Runesamurai
@Tyadran and @Erikin84 My apologies.

@Erikin84: I really look forward to playing this. It looks awesome already.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 2018 4:49am
by Erikin84
Yes, actually. I have updated the sprites for the promoted classes. Like Tao and Luke now have their hair in their promoted status too, this carried over to everyone using those sprites, so I've had to update the palettes for them too. It's been a challenge as the palettes for the battle sprites tend to get finicky when you're doing stuff to it (the main reason for the delay). I'm mostly done with it, i should have it released in by:
Friday, March 9th 2018

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10 2018 1:44am
by Runesamurai
Best of luck to you my good man.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10 2018 4:03am
by Erikin84
Finally, it's here. With a couple hours to spare...Please let me know what you all think. I will work on the preview and get it up asap

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force 1.00 Released

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10 2018 7:36am
by Runesamurai
Apparently this mod is not compatible with the SF1 editor. Also where is the Playable Kane version?

EDIT: I regret to have to inform you that this mod doesn't work yet. It goes black after the opening screen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10 2018 8:04am
by Erikin84
What emulator are you using? I use the Kega Fusion and it works on that. This was created with the SF1 Editor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10 2018 8:09am
by Tyadran
As opposed to what Runesamurai said, the mod works perfectly.
If people don't notice, this is an ips patch.

To get it to work you need to first apply my mod's patch to a copy of the US Shining Force .bin, and then apply the graphics mod patch on top of that.

Hopefully this eliminates any confusion and problems getting it to work.

EDIT: It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10 2018 8:19am
by Erikin84
At the moment the link shown is set for your Playable Kane mod. I will release a normal game patch for those interested.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10 2018 1:18pm
by Runesamurai
Tyadran wrote:As opposed to what Runesamurai said, the mod works perfectly.
If people don't notice, this is an ips patch.

To get it to work you need to first apply my mod's patch to a copy of the US Shining Force .bin, and then apply the graphics mod patch on top of that.

Hopefully this eliminates any confusion and problems getting it to work.

EDIT: It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).

Ah ok that must be what I did wrong.

EDIT: Yep that was the problem. It's working just fine now. :)

Double Edit: This mod is awesome. The swords and so many other things look so much better now!

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force 1.1 Released

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11 2018 12:12pm
by Neutral
Is it possible to do alternative portraits for daring dress/amazing swimsuit?
Or battle sprites idk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11 2018 7:41pm
by Tyadran
Neutral wrote:Is it possible to do alternative portraits for daring dress/amazing swimsuit?
Or battle sprites idk

It's possible to do battle sprites but that's a lot of work to make new sprites for. Portraits I don't think are currently supported.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 2018 7:05pm
by Runesamurai
Neutral wrote:Is it possible to do alternative portraits for daring dress/amazing swimsuit?
Or battle sprites idk

I too wondered this. I'm sure it's possible since people have made custom portraits and battle sprites before. It would just be REALLY difficult. But yeah I'm sure it can be done since RotDD did it.

EDIT: I just tried the new updated version of this patch. It crashes if you try to run it in the editor. It also doesn't seem to work. But I might've just screwed up somewhere again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 2018 7:54pm
by Tyadran
Runesamurai wrote:I too wondered this. I'm sure it's possible since people have made custom portraits and battle sprites before. It would just be REALLY difficult. But yeah I'm sure it can be done since RotDD did it.

RotDD is a terrible example of what can be done with the editor.
Making alternate battle sprites would be easy and is supported in the editor.
Making alternate portraits I don't believe is supported. While hypothetically possible, you'd have to learn some assembly and program that in yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15 2018 8:28pm
by Runesamurai
Tyadran wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:I too wondered this. I'm sure it's possible since people have made custom portraits and battle sprites before. It would just be REALLY difficult. But yeah I'm sure it can be done since RotDD did it.

Making alternate portraits I don't believe is supported. While hypothetically possible, you'd have to learn some assembly and program that in yourself.

Yeah that wasn't exactly the best example since they're kind of a different game on a different console. ^^;

EDIT: @Erikin84: I think you should add the new patch versions but still keep the old ones on the first page. Some people might have taste preferences and such.

DOUBLE EDIT: 1.4 looks weird in the editor. And for some reason it crashes my game shortly during the dialogue with Varios in a new game.

TRIPLE EDIT: Apparently 1.4 is not compatible with the Playable Kane mod. You need a normal non-modded SF1 Rom for it to work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17 2018 3:38pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:
Tyadran wrote:

Yeah that wasn't exactly the best example since they're kind of a different game on a different console. ^^;

EDIT: @Erikin84: I think you should add the new patch versions but still keep the old ones on the first page. Some people might have taste preferences and such.

DOUBLE EDIT: 1.4 looks weird in the editor. And for some reason it crashes my game shortly during the dialogue with Varios in a new game.

TRIPLE EDIT: Apparently 1.4 is not compatible with the Playable Kane mod. You need a normal non-modded SF1 Rom for it to work.

I have tested it and it works fine, i went through Varios' starting dialogue with no crashing. and you'll have to be more specific with the "weird" in editor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17 2018 9:32pm
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:I have tested it and it works fine, i went through Varios' starting dialogue with no crashing. and you'll have to be more specific with the "weird" in editor.

That's why I said: "Apparently 1.4 is not compatible with the Playable Kane mod. You need a normal non-modded SF1 Rom for it to work." The graphics all looked messed up and the weapon letters were all scrambled when I applied this patch over the Kane Patch. I still have the first one and it works just fine. The current one also worked when I tried applying it to a normal non-modded SF1 Rom. Great job by the way.

EDIT: Say, Could you PM me the 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 versions of the patch please? I never got to try them. Putting them on the first page or posting them here works too.

Re: Shining Force Graphics Upgrade 1.4 Released

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18 2018 6:56am
by Tyadran
Alright, Runesamurai. You're personally doing something wrong with the patch because I have now tested it myself and it works fine.

Please refrain from replying here when you have issues and instead confirm that someone else is having issues first.
In any case I've asked for Erikin to simply include the Kane mod in his graphics patch from now on so there should be no possible issues with applying the two patches.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18 2018 10:31am
by Runesamurai
My apologies. I will ask first. I just don't understand what the problem is. I took a normal SF1 Rom and then applied the Kane Patch followed by the 1.4 Patch. That didn't work so after that I applied 1.4 to a normal SF1 Rom instead and then it worked. Only problem is Kane is not playable and I'm back with Jogurt again... :(

Maybe it's shenanigans...O_o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18 2018 10:41am
by Tyadran
The 1.4 download has been updated anyway. The KR/GU patch includes both and can be applied to an unmodified game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18 2018 1:20pm
by Runesamurai
I applied the wrong patch over the Kane mod. My bad. *facedesks*

Excellent job Erikin. This mod is awesome.

EDIT: And thank you as well Tyadran.

DOUBLE EDIT: This is amazing. I love what you've done with this version. You're both awesome for doing this. :thumbsup:

Tyadran wrote:It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).

Why would anyone not want to have Kane on their team in place of Jogurt though?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20 2018 8:58pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:I applied the wrong patch over the Kane mod. My bad. *facedesks*

Excellent job Erikin. This mod is awesome.

EDIT: And thank you as well Tyadran.

DOUBLE EDIT: This is amazing. I love what you've done with this version. You're both awesome for doing this. :thumbsup:

Tyadran wrote:It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).

Why would anyone not want to have Kane on their team in place of Jogurt though?

Everyone’s got their preference. I personally love the idea of having Kane join, but not everyone may agree.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20 2018 9:02pm
by Tyadran
They may not like my writing, or they may not like that Hans is stuck unable to promote, etc. There are a few reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21 2018 1:11pm
by Runesamurai
Tyadran wrote:They may not like my writing, or they may not like that Hans is stuck unable to promote, etc. There are a few reasons.

I know I certainly liked it. I never want to go back to the normal version of the game ever again now that I can have Kane with me. Kane is my all-time favorite Shining Force character and I've wished he could join for about as long as I can remember. So being able to have him on my team is literally a dream come true for me. But yes I do rather dislike not being able to promote Hans and the Jogurt Ring being replaced by a second medical herb. The bug where Hans gets an herb every time he kills an enemy can actually be fixed by going to the editor and unchecking where it says "Dropped by Enemies" by the way.

@Erikin: What changes did you make yesterday?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21 2018 9:26pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:
Tyadran wrote:They may not like my writing, or they may not like that Hans is stuck unable to promote, etc. There are a few reasons.

I know I certainly liked it. I never want to go back to the normal version of the game ever again now that I can have Kane with me. Kane is my all-time favorite Shining Force character and I've wished he could join for about as long as I can remember. So being able to have him on my team is literally a dream come true for me. But yes I do rather dislike not being able to promote Hans and the Jogurt Ring being replaced by a second medical herb. The bug where Hans gets an herb every time he kills an enemy can actually be fixed by going to the editor and unchecking where it says "Dropped by Enemies" by the way.

@Erikin: What changes did you make yesterday?

Just working on the staffs and the icons. Felt like if every other weapon got a face lift, might as well do the same for the staffs. I’ll probably release it with 1.5 this week

Re: Shining Force Graphics Upgrade 1.5 Released

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 2018 2:17am
by Runesamurai
Sweet. Hope you accept my apology.

EDIT: Nevermind just saw your PM. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 2018 2:58pm
by stefanos2k10
can i just patch 1.4 to 1.5? or would i need to put 1.5 on a clean copy?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 2018 4:31pm
by Erikin84
stefanos2k10 wrote:can i just patch 1.4 to 1.5? or would i need to put 1.5 on a clean copy?
the patch is meant for a clean copy. You can try renaming the new .bin to match your existing game, and when you open the game through your emulator of choice, it may let you continue with your old save state.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 2018 4:33pm
by Tyadran
If you keep releasing updates at this rate, it may be nice to include "upgrade" patches like I did with one of my old mods, that does go on the previous version to change it to the new one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 2018 4:43pm
by stefanos2k10
thanks for info guess ill wait till your finished making updates before i play through

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 2018 4:48pm
by Erikin84
Tyadran wrote:If you keep releasing updates at this rate, it may be nice to include "upgrade" patches like I did with one of my old mods, that does go on the previous version to change it to the new one.

Thanks, I don’t know how many more updates I’ll be doing since I’m running out of things to change :) but if I make any more updates I’ll be sure to do that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 2018 5:32pm
by stefanos2k10
ill just wait for final update myself :) @erikin84 just let me no when your done :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 2018 11:34pm
by Erikin84
stefanos2k10 wrote:ill just wait for final update myself :) @erikin84 just let me no when your done :D

I have made a patch for version 1.4 for anyone who is doing a playthrough and wants to get the newest version.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 2018 1:57pm
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:
Tyadran wrote:If you keep releasing updates at this rate, it may be nice to include "upgrade" patches like I did with one of my old mods, that does go on the previous version to change it to the new one.

Thanks, I don’t know how many more updates I’ll be doing since I’m running out of things to change :) but if I make any more updates I’ll be sure to do that

If I might make a few suggestions:

1. Have you considered changing Mishaela's battle sprite? Hers doesn't match her portrait either. I was glad RotDD fixed it. Great job on Tao, Anri, Alef, Torasu and Lowe.

2. Maybe replace the useless items with something else like new weapons or new items? I'm talking about the Kenji, Teppou and Youji? Cuz those don't really do anything or serve any purpose. The Kaku-Chan as well for the normal game. For the Kane version I would replace the 2nd herb instead. Just making an innocent suggestion is all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 2018 5:59pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:

If I might make a few suggestions:

1. Have you considered changing Mishaela's battle sprite? Hers doesn't match her portrait either. I was glad RotDD fixed it. Great job on Tao, Anri, Alef, Torasu and Lowe.

2. Maybe replace the useless items with something else like new weapons or new items? I'm talking about the Kenji, Teppou and Youji? Cuz those don't really do anything or serve any purpose. The Kaku-Chan as well for the normal game. For the Kane version I would replace the 2nd herb instead. Just making an innocent suggestion is all.

They do sound like cool ideas, I’ll see what I can do for Mishaela. As far as the useless items, idk. I don’t want to change too much that isn’t graphic oriented

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 2018 7:59pm
by Runesamurai
No worries. You're awesome for making this. I love what you've done with the Swords. They couldn't be better. They're so nice and long and look so epic now. Have been much more fun to use. :)

EDIT: I see you have 1.6 out now. Sweet. I'm glad you liked my idea. :) I'm a pretty worthy connoisseur of mods if I do say so myself so I'll be happy to help try to support you with new ideas. I think you should consider replacing the Kenji, Teppou and Youji with something else. Like maybe weapons exclusive only to the villains. For example, you'll notice Elliott, Balbazak and Ramladu all wield the Long Sword, Steel Sword and Holy Staff respectively. But the weapons shown in their battle sprites do not match what their profile says they're wielding. Maybe add some kind of Claymore for Elliott and a mace for Ramladu? Not sure what to do with Balbazak's weapon.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh thank you so much! And it's perfect!

TRIPLE EDIT: Oh nice. That's a great idea actually. It makes sense for her to appear in human form as a disguise when you first meet her.

QUADRUPLE EDIT:
Plans: Working on adding another merged patch for a different mod...

Oh man I can't wait!

QUINTUPLE EDIT: If possible can you make Kane playable in these other patches too please? I love Darkwolf's, Domblade's and Lobo's mods. But I really wish Kane was playable in them.

SEXTUPLE EDIT: OMG YES!!! Is Kane now playable in Lobo's Mod with this?

SEPTUPLE EDIT: You should definitely edit the Levanter, Flail, and Doom Bolt in Lobo's mod so that they show up and have attack animation when equipped to the force. Maybe the Imperial Mace too just for the heck of it. Though it might make more sense for it to be an enemy exclusive weapon like how Cameela's Iron Ball was in Shining Force 2.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30 2018 8:30pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:No worries. You're awesome for making this. I love what you've done with the Swords. They couldn't be better. They're so nice and long and look so epic now. Have been much more fun to use. :)

EDIT: I see you have 1.6 out now. Sweet. I'm glad you liked my idea. :) I'm a pretty worthy connoisseur of mods if I do say so myself so I'll be happy to help try to support you with new ideas. I think you should consider replacing the Kenji, Teppou and Youji with something else. Like maybe weapons exclusive only to the villains. For example, you'll notice Elliott, Balbazak and Ramladu all wield the Long Sword, Steel Sword and Holy Staff respectively. But the weapons shown in their battle sprites do not match what their profile says they're wielding. Maybe add some kind of Claymore for Elliott and a mace for Ramladu? Not sure what to do with Balbazak's weapon.

TRIPLE EDIT: Oh nice. That's a great idea actually. It makes sense for her to appear in human form as a disguise when you first meet her.

QUADRUPLE EDIT:

Oh man I can't wait!

QUINTUPLE EDIT: If possible can you make Kane playable in these other patches too please? I love Darkwolf's, Domblade's and Lobo's mods. But I really wish Kane was playable in them.

SEPTUPLE EDIT: You should definitely edit the Levanter, Flail, and Doom Bolt in Lobo's mod so that they show up and have attack animation when equipped to the force. Maybe the Imperial Mace too just for the heck of it. Though it might make more sense for it to be an enemy exclusive weapon like how Cameela's Iron Ball was in Shining Force 2.

Thanks, I am actually working on updating Kane's battle sprite (he will have his own now). Im still in contact with the other mod authors to receive their permission to make such a change.

Lobo's Brothers mod v2.2 was the test version i did for this. So far it looks great! It'll take some time to integrate all the changes necessary for it to work. But it's on my agenda for v1.9

Stay tuned!

Re: Shining Force Graphics Upgrade 1.8 Released

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30 2018 8:49pm
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:No worries. You're awesome for making this. I love what you've done with the Swords. They couldn't be better. They're so nice and long and look so epic now. Have been much more fun to use. :)

QUADRUPLE EDIT:

Oh man I can't wait!

Thanks, I am actually working on updating Kane's battle sprite (he will have his own now). Im still in contact with the other mod authors to receive their permission to make such a change.

Lobo's Brothers mod v2.2 was the test version i did for this. So far it looks great! It'll take some time to integrate all the changes necessary for it to work. But it's on my agenda for v1.9

Stay tuned!

Will his attack animation still be the same? It matches his enemy battle sprite's fighting style after all. If not I feel like Promoted Max should be the one to get a battle sprite change instead. Maybe the one based on what he had in RotDD?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31 2018 12:09am
by Erikin84
Stay tuned![/quote]
Will his attack animation still be the same? It matches his enemy battle sprite's fighting style after all. If not I feel like Promoted Max should be the one to get a battle sprite change instead. Maybe the one based on what he had in RotDD?[/quote]

Right now, Kane's attack animation is that sequence used at the end of the game(last hit on Dark dragon). I will put up a preview pic of what it looks like

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31 2018 2:47am
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:Right now, Kane's attack animation is that sequence used at the end of the game(last hit on Dark dragon). I will put up a preview pic of what it looks like

It makes sense for Kane to have the same attack animation as promoted Max when you think about it though. If you look closely, Kane's enemy Battle Sprite fights the exact same way.

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v1.8 Released 03/29/18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31 2018 5:34am
by Remuko
I cant say I'm a fan of the bright neon pink on Mae. The white horse fur and red shield was plenty imo. The Pink just seems to shout "THIS ONE IS A GIRL" and just feels really gross and unneeded. But in the end this was my by you, for you and youre just sharing it in hopes others might like it too. Nice work, even if I don't agree with that one change.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31 2018 8:13am
by Erikin84
Remuko wrote:I cant say I'm a fan of the bright neon pink on Mae. The white horse fur and red shield was plenty imo. The Pink just seems to shout "THIS ONE IS A GIRL" and just feels really gross and unneeded. But in the end this was my by you, for you and youre just sharing it in hopes others might like it too. Nice work, even if I don't agree with that one change.

I appreciate your objectivity on that :) The other reason for that was to have pelle use the red colors, since his map sprite has red....Maybe i could make pelle's color green...then mae red...decisions decisions

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31 2018 9:41am
by Runesamurai
As for my opinions I don't understand why Gort has a sword in his map sprites. He's kinda supposed to be all about Axes. If you go to his house and read his bookshelf you'll notice it too. I don't really like the red on Kane's outfit or the changes to Max's sprites either. But aside from that I love everything else. Right now I'm using version 1.7. Great mod. The weapons and mages couldn't be better. I love their new appearance. Luke is perfect now. Gong's new look makes more sense too.

I still think it would make more sense to let Kane keep Promoted Max's Attack animation and replace promoted Max's with something else since enemy Kane fights just like Promoted Max. If you look closely at the way he swings his sword when he attacks you'll notice it's exactly the same as Promoted Max's even though he's Dual Wielding in his enemy sprites.

EDIT: I do love the new design you gave Kane. It's glorious. But at the very least I think you should have an alternate version of the patch for people like me who would rather see Kane's animation the same as before. Your new animation choice is great too. But I just think it makes more sense for Kane to keep his old attack animation since his enemy sprite also used it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01 2018 2:17am
by Kane To The Max
These all look great. One suggestion since you're so good at these graphics.

Any thoughts to have Bleu when he's promoted have dragon wings instead of the feathery looking wings in the original. That always bothered me. Awesome work!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01 2018 4:48am
by Erikin84
Kane To The Max wrote:These all look great. One suggestion since you're so good at these graphics.

Any thoughts to have Bleu when he's promoted have dragon wings instead of the feathery looking wings in the original. That always bothered me. Awesome work!

That is possible, since the map sprite doesnt really give off the vibe of feathers, like the birdmen do. However, I should tread safely, people tend to get testy when you alter characters, especially one as popular as bleu :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01 2018 6:31am
by Kane To The Max
I hear ya. Would look great though. Making some updates to your Mishaela, adding depth to her cloak. I've been working on my ROM off and on for years now. Wish I just knew more about editing scripts better. Your work has inspired me to continue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01 2018 6:36pm
by Erikin84
Kane To The Max wrote:I hear ya. Would look great though. Making some updates to your Mishaela, adding depth to her cloak. I've been working on my ROM off and on for years now. Wish I just knew more about editing scripts better. Your work has inspired me to continue.

Cool, if and when you finished Mishaela, I'd love to see it. I'll add it to this mod if you wish. I'm not by any means a "artist" but I try. I welcome anyone's sprites if they want it included here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02 2018 2:29am
by Runesamurai
Kane new battle sprite.png
Erikin84 wrote:
Kane To The Max wrote:I hear ya. Would look great though. Making some updates to your Mishaela, adding depth to her cloak. I've been working on my ROM off and on for years now. Wish I just knew more about editing scripts better. Your work has inspired me to continue.

Cool, if and when you finished Mishaela, I'd love to see it. I'll add it to this mod if you wish. I'm not by any means a "artist" but I try. I welcome anyone's sprites if they want it included here.

Here's what I did with Kane:
Kane new battle sprite.png

Yours looks much better now though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02 2018 3:32pm
by Kane To The Max
Erikin84 wrote:

Will do. Do you know to change to the promoted battle sprite in the editor? All it has is their first battle sprite. I want Lowe and Torasu to have different promoted battle sprites.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02 2018 5:02pm
by Erikin84
Kane To The Max wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:

Will do. Do you know to change to the promoted battle sprite in the editor? All it has is their first battle sprite. I want Lowe and Torasu to have different promoted battle sprites.

I’m at work, but I think their promoted sprite is sprite 25, just scroll through all the options you’ll run into them. you can import a different sprite in place of that, just make sure the palette has all the colors needed. It’ll take some finesse but it is possible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02 2018 10:06pm
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:I’m at work, but I think their promoted sprite is sprite 25, just scroll through all the options you’ll run into them. you can import a different sprite in place of that, just make sure the palette has all the colors needed. It’ll take some finesse but it is possible.

How do I change the map sprite of a force member without using extended characters? This is especially frustrating since extended characters doesn't even work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 2018 5:59pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:I’m at work, but I think their promoted sprite is sprite 25, just scroll through all the options you’ll run into them. you can import a different sprite in place of that, just make sure the palette has all the colors needed. It’ll take some finesse but it is possible.

How do I change the map sprite of a force member without using extended characters? This is especially frustrating since extended characters doesn't even work.

You’d just import a new sprite over the spot that character is currenter using. Since all force memeber use a single palette, you’d just need to make sure the colors your using are supported. For example, Max’s sprite number is set to 0 unpromoted, and 30 promoted.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 2018 7:25pm
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:

You’d just import a new sprite over the spot that character is currenter using. Since all force memeber use a single palette, you’d just need to make sure the colors your using are supported. For example, Max’s sprite number is set to 0 unpromoted, and 30 promoted.

I can't figure out how to change the number without using extended characters. And sadly extended characters doesn't work and will screw up your game. And it won't be fixed until rubixcuber returns. IF he returns...
Erikin84 wrote:Plans:
Working on possible new weapon sprites/items based on certain enemy characters that can be dropped and used by force members.

Oh Yes! Please do! And you should really consider making sprites for the enemy weapons in Lobo's mod. Like the Levanter, Flail, Doom Bolt, Giant Club, and Imperial Mace. They kind of need it considering they don't display at all when equipped to someone on the force.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05 2018 5:17pm
by Kane To The Max
Does anyone know how to make the extra weapon sprites work? The tool allows you to add sprites, but when you reference the sprite slot for the weapon, it appears blank in a battle screen.

Also, anyone ever notice, even in an unmodified rom, that the arrow sprite is in slot 14 but it references 15 in the item screen. I looked through every item and there is no 14 reference.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06 2018 12:58am
by Erikin84
Kane To The Max wrote:Does anyone know how to make the extra weapon sprites work? The tool allows you to add sprites, but when you reference the sprite slot for the weapon, it appears blank in a battle screen.

Also, anyone ever notice, even in an unmodified rom, that the arrow sprite is in slot 14 but it references 15 in the item screen. I looked through every item and there is no 14 reference.

The reason for arrow being referenced as 15 is because you have to account for slot 0. As for the weapon slots, you add 16 to the number of your slot. So for example = if you make one new sprite, It is labeled as "15". When you go to the animation selection part. Here is what you do to make your new sprite to appear.
Equipped weapon type = 15
(select which animation it should use, if your doing a simple sword for unpromoted max, it would be 0)
Display weapon type = 31

(you have to add 16 to whatever slot your new sprite is in (15 + 16 = 31). Then the new sprite will work.

I just figured this out last night (found it in the SF1 editor comment section)

So if you made another sprite(another sword for unpromoted max), you'd use 16 0 32 and so on.

Armed with this new knowledge, i'll be adding more sprites to weapons to reduce or eliminate palette swapping

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06 2018 3:30am
by Kane To The Max
Awesome! Thanks so much. I wonder if that same logic works for adding additional force member sprites.

On another note. I hadn't seen too much information on how the AI works for enemies. I spent a lot of time on it and figured some things out. Not sure if it is common knowledge that I just couldn't find in the forums, but I know when and how an enemy will move. The battles I've been working on are pretty neat.

Again, if people already know this, I missed it. Nevertheless, I'm happy I figured it out. I'll elaborate more if it isn't common knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06 2018 12:35pm
by Tyadran
Kane To The Max wrote:On another note. I hadn't seen too much information on how the AI works for enemies. I spent a lot of time on it and figured some things out. Not sure if it is common knowledge that I just couldn't find in the forums, but I know when and how an enemy will move. The battles I've been working on are pretty.

Again, if people already know this, I missed it. Nevertheless, I'm happy I figured it out. I'll elaborate more if it isn't common knowledge.

Enemy AI has been well-known for a long time. It was explained in the editor thread.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07 2018 12:36pm
by Runesamurai
Excellent work Erikin. I very much look forward to the progression of your mod. Glad I downloaded the Playable Kane version when I had the chance.

For my further thoughts, I do like the changes you made to unpromoted Max. I hadn't even noticed but you're right. It totally does look like his naughty bits might get exposed if he fell over lol. That was a good change indeed. And I know I said Gort was about Axes but it would be a shame to change what you've made now. Especially the promoted version. You did a really good job making it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09 2018 8:04pm
by Kane To The Max
Tyadran wrote:
Kane To The Max wrote:On another note. I hadn't seen too much information on how the AI works for enemies. I spent a lot of time on it and figured some things out. Not sure if it is common knowledge that I just couldn't find in the forums, but I know when and how an enemy will move. The battles I've been working on are pretty.

Enemy AI has been well-known for a long time. It was explained in the editor thread.

Yeah but how in depth? The only thing I read was a vague interpretation. What I found is that a lot of the behaviors if set wrong will contradict based on the AI region settings. Most of these mods I see just have one behavior, with all checked; a bum rush. Mine has AI where enemies move into position then patrol, and charge when in range, a more strategic, aggressive enemy. Looking forward to sharing sometime soon.

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v1.9 Released 04/09/18

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 2018 8:03pm
by Tyadran
Basically earlier in the behaviors = higher priority. Highest-priority behavior that activates for the currently highest-numbered region occupied by a Force member is the behavior that will be executed.

I've done some more advanced AI stuff in my old Shining Force X mod. You can find the thread for it on here and DL it if you want to check it out. I don't know how well it will open in the editor though, as the version it was built in was over a year old and a lot of the ways things work have been changed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 2018 8:40pm
by Lobo
Erikin84 wrote:
[color=#0000FF]I am happy to release v1.9 of the Graphic Upgrade mod!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a preview of some of the changes:
image of changes.png

Here is a new preview of the weapons(since there are alot of weapons, might as well give them their own image):
Preview weapon changes.png

Version History

[spoiler]Version 1.9
Added Oath Keeper (Elliot's sword) and Imperial Mace(Ramladu's weapon). These can be dropped and picked up by force members upon defeating these two. They, however have not been playtested.

New weapon sprites for swords/lances/spears/staffs.

Switched Luke and Gort's starting weapons, and map sprites to accommodate.

Changed Mae's battle sprite colors to better match portrait(not as bright)

Added a red fire sprite to be used during the ship scene after the circus battle.

New Maskless Kane sprite is now used.

New Non-scarred Kane sprite for scenes before prompt.

Very nice adds to v1.9! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How do you feel changing Tao's battle sprite clothes to blue?
I think it would match her map sprite better and probably look better with her hair too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11 2018 10:18pm
by Erikin84
Lobo wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:
[color=#0000FF]I am happy to release v1.9 of the Graphic Upgrade mod!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a preview of some of the changes:
image of changes.png

Here is a new preview of the weapons(since there are alot of weapons, might as well give them their own image):
Preview weapon changes.png

Version History

[spoiler]Version 1.9
Added Oath Keeper (Elliot's sword) and Imperial Mace(Ramladu's weapon). These can be dropped and picked up by force members upon defeating these two. They, however have not been playtested.

New weapon sprites for swords/lances/spears/staffs.

Switched Luke and Gort's starting weapons, and map sprites to accommodate.

Changed Mae's battle sprite colors to better match portrait(not as bright)

Added a red fire sprite to be used during the ship scene after the circus battle.

New Maskless Kane sprite is now used.

New Non-scarred Kane sprite for scenes before prompt.

Very nice adds to v1.9! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How do you feel changing Tao's battle sprite clothes to blue?
I think it would match her map sprite better and probably look better with her hair too.

I’ll look into it. The easier option may be to change the map sprite to match her battle, or vice versa. Since Anri is blue as well(with white cape) maybe she would need a tweak as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 2018 12:57am
by Lobo
By default, there's no purple in force palette for map sprites.
Would have to change it.

Anyway, I think those haired battle sprites for Tao and Anri are a very cool idea. But something bugs me about red-and-purple on Tao's promoted sprite.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 2018 3:56am
by Runesamurai
Oh wow I love this! I just wish there was a Playable Kane version. Love it though. Was that a Kingdom Hearts reference with Elliott's weapon?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 2018 2:30pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:Oh wow I love this! I just wish there was a Playable Kane version. Love it though. Was that a Kingdom Hearts reference with Elliott's weapon?

I don’t think so, as the sword sprite is based off of what he used on his battle sprite when you fought him. I haven’t really played kingdom hearts so if there is a similarity to this and a weapon from that game, it was coincedental .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 2018 9:08pm
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:Oh wow I love this! I just wish there was a Playable Kane version. Love it though. Was that a Kingdom Hearts reference with Elliott's weapon?

I don’t think so, as the sword sprite is based off of what he used on his battle sprite when you fought him. I haven’t really played kingdom hearts so if there is a similarity to this and a weapon from that game, it was coincedental .

One of the weapons in Kingdom Hearts is also called Oath Keeper. Only it's spelled Oathkeeper in Kingdom Hearts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 2018 11:02pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:
Erikin84 wrote:

One of the weapons in Kingdom Hearts is also called Oath Keeper. Only it's spelled Oathkeeper in Kingdom Hearts.

I see, I named the sword Oath Keeper since it fits his character( being as he knows somethings up with his king, but he’s too loyal to disobey). I added the space in the name because of you spell it out with no space, it cuts off a letter or two while viewing it in your inventory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13 2018 4:39am
by Runesamurai
That's cool. Have you considered making Balbazak's weapon too?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20 2018 4:05pm
by PlayerLin
Oh, too bad Tao still missing her elf ear in battle sprite, but that's what happened when 3 different race characters using the same sprite, I guess that's why the hat was drawn in first place... :p
Still, it's nice too see their hair in this mod. :)
(RotDD didn't had this problem, as each of characters has their own sprite, not shared like TLoGI)

Hmm, nice mod, please keep it up. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20 2018 4:08pm
by Tyadran
It's possible to give each character their own battle sprite, so each one could be entirely different if wanted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20 2018 9:39pm
by Lobo
If the game can handle them all, I'm pretty sure Erikin will come to that! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22 2018 12:59am
by Erikin84
Tyadran wrote:It's possible to give each character their own battle sprite, so each one could be entirely different if wanted.

It’s in the works, I’ve been able to give all the centaurs their own battle sprite, since 6 characters sharing 2 sprites was a little limiting. There seems to be a limit as to how many you can add(game stops loading after a certain number). So unless the editor is updated to handle the added sprites, there is only so many you can fit. I’ll have 2.0 out within a week.

Edit:
Finally, getting 2.0 up and running was a pain in the rear I tell ya! I hope you all enjoy the new additions!

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v2.0 Released 04/26/18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27 2018 12:01pm
by Lobo
Erikin84 wrote:Edit:
Finally, getting 2.0 up and running was a pain in the rear I tell ya! I hope you all enjoy the new additions!

Bumping this topic up for the 2.0 update.

Nice work Erikin! :thumbsup:

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v2.0 Released 4/26/18

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28 2018 5:27am
by Runesamurai
Where do I download the patch now? All the link does is take me to the sfmods website.

EDIT: Nevermind. ^^;

DOUBLE EDIT: I guess I can't download it unless I join though?

TRIPLE EDIT: I joined the site. Why does it say I don't have permission to download it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28 2018 6:31am
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:Where do I download the patch now? All the link does is take me to the sfmods website.

EDIT: Nevermind. ^^;

DOUBLE EDIT: I guess I can't download it unless I join though?

TRIPLE EDIT: I joined the site. Why does it say I don't have permission to download it?

Must be one of those things where you have to confirm your account before doing anything else, i'll put the links back to normal, sorry for the inconvenience.

Edit:
I contacted Steve and he lifted the restriction on downloading mods, you wont have to register and go through the email confirmation to download the mod anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28 2018 8:09pm
by Runesamurai
Okie Dokie. Glad I could help. And have you considered making Balbazak's weapon?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 2018 12:10am
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:Okie Dokie. Glad I could help. And have you considered making Balbazak's weapon?

I could try, but given the editor getting unstable with all my edits(had to reduce the amount of weapon sprites to 19 because of corruption) if I do make one I may just upload it to the Shining Force Mods website as a resource for those who want to utilize it in their games. We'll see :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 2018 4:29am
by Runesamurai
That's too bad. And Okie Dokie. :) Did I mention I love what you've done with the swords? Especially the legendaries. Now they look like actual lightsabers as they should instead of fruit flavored fun pops lol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 2018 12:31pm
by acsound
For some reason, Luke (Lug) is overpowered; he has a Great Axe instead of a hatchet. As a result, he's OHKO'g enemies.

Observe:

Perhaps our young dwarf stole the Guardiana weapons seller's axe and *that's* why he doesn't want to sell weapons to Max at the start.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 2018 2:09pm
by Runesamurai
acsound wrote:For some reason, Luke (Lug) is overpowered; he has a Great Axe instead of a hatchet. As a result, he's OHKO'g enemies.

Observe:

Perhaps our young dwarf stole the Guardiana weapons seller's axe and *that's* why he doesn't want to sell weapons to Max at the start.

LOL I just applied the patch and found this as well when I used the editor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 2018 11:05pm
by Erikin84
Must’ve been a mistake during testing, I’ll correct it tonight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30 2018 4:27am
by Marionettetc
Erikin84 wrote:Must’ve been a mistake during testing, I’ll correct it tonight

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed a few bugs with the patch.

Hans' critical animation is no arrow and he doesn't perform the animation, just the sound
Gort's mouth goes into his beard when he talks at the beginning of the game

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30 2018 2:14pm
by Erikin84
Marionettetc wrote:

Hans' critical animation is no arrow and he doesn't perform the animation, just the sound

I’ll look into it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30 2018 8:49pm
by Marionettetc
Erikin84 wrote:
Marionettetc wrote:

I’ll look into it

Thank you for the all the work on the patch by the way, i'm really enjoying the fresh feel it gives SF1.

Edit - I forgot to mention these issues occurred with the combined brothers/graphics patch 2.0.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30 2018 10:58pm
by Lock It Lynx
Made it to the Kane battle im a bit excited tbh lol

PostPosted: Tue May 01 2018 2:29am
by Erikin84
An issue with archers not having an animation during critical or "deadly" attacks, has been fixed. It appears when I made the new battle sprite layout, the game didnt like the archers/lyle being moved around. After putting them back in their normal slot in the layout, they resumed their animation during those attacks...weird. And the portrait with Gort was fixed, just missed updating the animation side of the portrait when I imported it.
I have also tweaked Hans' hair color to be closer to his portrait, and the promoted BWMS sprite has been tweaked too in battle sprite color. If you run into anything else let me know :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01 2018 11:25pm
by acsound
Another possible issue: Hans is now Lv. 10 on the first battle. Please note below:

I'm fairly sure his starting stats should be something else.

On the bright side: Luke's OP status seems to be fixed.

PostPosted: Wed May 02 2018 12:16am
by Runesamurai
Just wanted to take a moment to say please disregard what I said earlier about having Kane keep Promoted Max's attack animation. The Dual Wielding style you gave him in Lobo's Mod is PERFECT. :) This one actually completely fits the attack animation he had when he was masked. Couldn't be better.

PostPosted: Wed May 02 2018 12:55am
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:Just wanted to take a moment to say please disregard what I said earlier about having Kane keep Promoted Max's attack animation. The Dual Wielding style you gave him in Lobo's Mod is PERFECT. :) This one actually completely fits the attack animation he had when he was masked. Couldn't be better.

Well, it wasnt really me, It was Steve's/Dan's original work. I merely just tweaked it to what Lobo needed.

As far as hans being lvl 10, that was just me in a rush testing the fix. (facepalm) correcting it now

PostPosted: Fri May 04 2018 3:42am
by Runesamurai
Alright anyway I have one suggestion now. I think you should consider changing Gong's attack animation. This is just me but I always thought Unpromoted Gong looked more like he was grabbing and squeezing something instead of throwing a punch.

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2018 8:41am
by stefanos2k10
any more to come or is this final version?

PostPosted: Thu May 10 2018 11:22pm
by Erikin84
stefanos2k10 wrote:any more to come or is this final version?

I'll probably release another small update in the near future. Probably just little things like colored icons and such. After that there probably wont be an update on it for a little while. With the editor getting harder to manage with issues like limits and such.

I'll probably release 2.1 in the near future.

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v2.1 Released 5/10/18

PostPosted: Fri May 11 2018 11:59am
by stefanos2k10
thanks for head up :D

PostPosted: Sun May 13 2018 8:03am
by Runesamurai
Thank you so much! :) Sucks that I can't have Kane on my team anymore...It's not the same without him... :(

PostPosted: Mon May 14 2018 11:55am
by stefanos2k10
shame about kane getting removed but good work

PostPosted: Mon May 14 2018 1:05pm
by Runesamurai
There was a simple solution if you wanted to keep Gort as a sword user and Luke as an axe user. You actually could've just edited the bookshelf to say "Sword Techniques" and "Hunt for the Sword of Legend" instead of "Hand Axe Techniques" and "Hunt for the Axe of Legend."

But now that I think about it this was a good idea. I like how Gort's and Luke's Map Sprites have been altered since Luke starts with a sword and Gort starts with an axe.

I do have a few more suggestions:

1. Personal weapon for Balbazak.
2. Please try to re-add the Imperial Mace. It was a great idea. It always annoyed me how they said Ramladu was wielding a Holy Staff when it was clearly a Mace.
3. Please add the Levanter. It looks too awesome not to include.
4. Some Force Members get their own personal weapons as well like in Fire Emblem. I picture Anri having a scepter. The Power Staff looks like a scepter and she comes equipped with it so I think I know where they were going with this. I think Anri's personal weapon should be called "Royal Scepter" .
5. More Weapons from Shining Force 2 because why not?

EDIT: Also you said you edited the Chaos Breaker for consistency with Shining Force 2 but I don't think the Chaos Breaker and The Force Sword are the same weapon. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

PostPosted: Tue May 15 2018 12:08am
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:There was a simple solution if you wanted to keep Gort as a sword user and Luke as an axe user. You actually could've just edited the bookshelf to say "Sword Techniques" and "Hunt for the Sword of Legend" instead of "Hand Axe Techniques" and "Hunt for the Axe of Legend."

But now that I think about it this was a good idea. I like how Gort's and Luke's Map Sprites have been altered since Luke starts with a sword and Gort starts with an axe.

I do have a few more suggestions:

1. Personal weapon for Balbazak.
2. Please try to re-add the Imperial Mace. It was a great idea. It always annoyed me how they said Ramladu was wielding a Holy Staff when it was clearly a Mace.
3. Please add the Levanter. It looks too awesome not to include.
4. Some Force Members get their own personal weapons as well like in Fire Emblem. I picture Anri having a scepter. The Power Staff looks like a scepter and she comes equipped with it so I think I know where they were going with this. I think Anri's personal weapon should be called "Royal Scepter" .
5. More Weapons from Shining Force 2 because why not?

EDIT: Also you said you edited the Chaos Breaker for consistency with Shining Force 2 but I don't think the Chaos Breaker and The Force Sword are the same weapon. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

They are technically the same weapon, just named differently. At least that's what the wiki says :)
As far as everything else, perhaps. It is something I can look into in the future. The biggest issue I'm running into is the corruption when adding new weapon sprites. It's something I'll have to think about. It's not currently on my agenda at the moment, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue May 15 2018 7:11am
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:They are technically the same weapon, just named differently. At least that's what the wiki says :)

Ah I see. I did not know that.
Erikin84 wrote:As far as everything else, perhaps. It is something I can look into in the future. The biggest issue I'm running into is the corruption when adding new weapon sprites. It's something I'll have to think about. It's not currently on my agenda at the moment, but we'll see.

Best of luck. :)

EDIT: I just tried to import the Imperial Mace into my game and then THIS happened. :confused:

I must be doing something wrong. :eyebrow:

PostPosted: Sun May 20 2018 12:04pm
by Erikin84
I see it’s a older version of the SFGU, and when the playable Kane patch was supported... how did you import the mace?

PostPosted: Sun May 20 2018 8:43pm
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:I see it’s a older version of the SFGU, and when the playable Kane patch was supported... how did you import the mace?

Yes. I downloaded it before you took it down. I simply went to weapons and clicked on where it said File and then clicked on Import and chose from where I saved the image of the weapon you provided on sfmods.com.

EDIT: I'm definitely doing something completely wrong here.

DOUBLE EDIT: I can't seem to import and export images correctly for some reason. I must be using the wrong file type or something.

TRIPLE EDIT: I do hope something can be done about the The Knightly Saber sharing the same sprite as the Oath Keeper eventually. I feel it takes away from the uniqueness of Elliott's weapon.

QUADRUPLE EDIT: You removed the Kindan No Hako...The only item among that group worth keeping...Why would you do this? :( The group I'm referring to is the list of items people call the "useless" items. The Kenji, Teppou, Kaku-chan, and Youji.

PostPosted: Tue May 29 2018 3:40pm
by Erikin84
Quick update, with Rubix back and possibly extending capabilities of the SF1 editor. Most of the issues with limits will be alleviated. I will update this mod in due time when the editor is updated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09 2018 4:15am
by Runesamurai
Bumping this for ya fam.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11 2018 1:44pm
by Erikin84
Much appreciated. When I finish SFA I’ll update this mod. Maybe even throw in some new patches for other existing mods for those who want them

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11 2018 9:28pm
by Red_Shine
This mod makes SF1 look incredible, congratulations, I'm definitely combining this with the Brothers Mod for my next playthrough. I hope you eventually make something similar for SF2, too!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 2018 4:23pm
by Erikin84
Red_Shine wrote:This mod makes SF1 look incredible, congratulations, I'm definitely combining this with the Brothers Mod for my next playthrough. I hope you eventually make something similar for SF2, too!

Thanks, it was a lot of work getting it to function with the older editor version. But now it’ll be much easier to manage. When SFA is done I’ll be redoing this mod with new assets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 2018 5:43pm
by Runesamurai
Red_Shine wrote:This mod makes SF1 look incredible, congratulations, I'm definitely combining this with the Brothers Mod for my next playthrough. I hope you eventually make something similar for SF2, too!

I second this. SF2 could really use a makeover as well. Maybe not as much as this game but some things in it certainly could. Like the Dark Sword and Levanter etc. It always annoyed me how the Dark Sword looks when wielded by Lemon or someone on the force. It really didn't make any sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 2018 7:14pm
by Red_Shine
That, and how awful promoted Bowie looks in battle. His colors and his head look extremely weird to me and I don't have the talent to improve it, despite trying in many different ways (adapting, Max's face, using Nick's body as a template for a less gaudy looking promo sprite...)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 2018 9:23pm
by Erikin84
It’s something I can consider, however I haven’t used caravan or much of any other editor for SF2, any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 2018 9:41pm
by Red_Shine
Caravan is quirky, but if you combine it with SF2 Editor, it should give you a similar functionality to that of the SF1 Editor (SF2ed is mostly for editing data like growth curves and the like).
If memory serves, Caravan can't edit sprites directly, so you'd have to export, work on them on an image editing program and then import, so it's an extra hoop.

You probably know this, but you need an image editing program that supports indexed palettes, or things won't load properly (something like GIMP). If you'd like to laugh, I should still have my attempts at editing Bowie somewhere on my hard disk, haha.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13 2018 3:21pm
by Erikin84
I primarily use paint to do my editing. Since there isn’t a history state in the editor you can easily go back if you make a mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13 2018 6:54pm
by Red_Shine
If that's the case I suggest Paint.Net as an upgrade. It is free and adds more resources to the program like layers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13 2018 8:55pm
by Erikin84
Red_Shine wrote:If that's the case I suggest Paint.Net as an upgrade. It is free and adds more resources to the program like layers.

That would be nice :) i’ll take a look at it. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14 2018 3:38am
by Red_Shine
To add to my previous post, this could be helpful to Erkin84
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1405/

This is a GIMP plugin that can work with several video game image formats. Perhaps it will be helpful too, along with Paint.NET.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25 2018 10:16pm
by Runesamurai
I miss this overhaul so bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 2018 4:57pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:I miss this overhaul so bad.

You’re talking like it’s abandoned :)

When I finish Shining Force Alternate I am going to redo this mod with all the assets I have made and new ones available. Just be patient

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 2018 10:57pm
by Runesamurai
Erikin84 wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:I miss this overhaul so bad.

You’re talking like it’s abandoned :)

When I finish Shining Force Alternate I am going to redo this mod with all the assets I have made and new ones available. Just be patient

I'm truly going to miss Promoted Adam's sprite. I have to be honest. But that's good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16 2018 2:27pm
by Urgat
Are you planning on merging it with other mods (like darkwolf's mod) or can you point out how it was done so I could eventually try it myself ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16 2018 9:25pm
by Erikin84
Urgat wrote:Are you planning on merging it with other mods (like darkwolf's mod) or can you point out how it was done so I could eventually try it myself ;-)

I plan to, yes. After I finish SFA I will remake the SFGU and put patches for some mods( after getting permission to do so) probably within the next couple months this will be done

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17 2018 11:33pm
by Runesamurai
It's beyond me why anyone would want to say no. This mod is like putting a fresh new coat of paint over a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 2018 6:09pm
by PlayerLin
Not sure if it my patched ROM's problem so something(using WinIPS tool for patch the ROMs), looks like I cannot open SFGU 2.0/2.1 with latest SF1EDIT(2018/07/05), always give me random crash when try to open it with SF1EDIT...but the ROM seems runs fine in my Fusion emulator. The Old 1.9 version and my modified 2.0 one(edited with older SF1EDIT) can still be opened without problems, so weird, made me I'm not sure if it's SF1EDIT's problem so something...:\

But I guess it doesn't matter since Erikin84 you say want to redo whole mod again after SFA finished, right? :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20 2018 3:10pm
by ResidentLeever
Pretty cool, I like the new mishaela, max's arm, maskless kaine, the more unique kings and the idea of making sprites more consistent and/or unique (I started doing a bit of that for my graphics hack but it's on hold). Not sure about some of the rest like Zylo and Bleu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21 2018 5:18pm
by Erikin84
Thanks, if you need help, just ask. The editor can be daunting at first, but i've messed with sprites since january and have a pretty good handle on it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 2018 2:16pm
by Runesamurai
Bumped for ya.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05 2018 7:24pm
by Erikin84
Runesamurai wrote:Bumped for ya.

Much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06 2018 6:59am
by Runesamurai
Bumping this for you again.

EDIT: Have you considered changing Diane's promoted map sprite? I for one never liked it. I feel like it makes her look like a granny or something.

DOUBLE EDIT:

A few more suggestions for a future installment of your graphic overhaul mod:

1. Use Gong's RotDD battle sprites for both his unpromoted and promoted forms (they're way cooler looking)
2. Switch the color of Max and Kane's armor. In other words I'm saying I think Max should have the silver armor while Kane has the black armor. I just feel like it would make more sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TRIPLE EDIT: Nevermind. :)

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0a Released 01/17/18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18 2019 7:56am
by Erikin84
Update v3.0a is out, hopefully that should clear up any issues with the mod.

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0a Released 01/17/18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18 2019 9:43pm
by Runesamurai
I just had an idea. Have you considered maybe changing Promoted Khris's Map Sprite? She looks more like a Dutch girl from Holland than a Vicar lol.

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0c Released 01/21/18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29 2019 8:38pm
by RedShine
I had to pop back in here to congratulate Erikin84 on the overhaul. I just checked the newest version and It looks quite wonderful and kicks the GBA version in the shin regarding (IMO) the only strong point it had. It saddens me a bit that no new projects will start in the foreseeable future but I understand burnout is natural and everyone needs a break.

I wish Erikin84 all the best, and may you return with renewed vigor at some point.

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0d Released 02/01/18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08 2019 9:30pm
by Runesamurai
As awesome as it is to see everyone being unique now maybe you should hold off on that until 6.00 MB is fully stable in the editor though? Just a thought. Graphic Overhaul 2.1 used less space but still did a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 2019 10:04pm
by Corsair
FYI: For the sake of correct attribution, a lot of these icons were made by Alones for the SFC Community project (Legacies of Veridocia). I'm not sure if he's still active here or not but he does really good quality work and deserves a namedrop.

There's some very interesting work going on here - I'll have to check it out later. I might swing by the SFmods website too and pollute that site with my awful personality as well :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15 2019 1:00am
by Erikin84
Corsair wrote:FYI: For the sake of correct attribution, a lot of these icons were made by Alones for the SFC Community project (Legacies of Veridocia). I'm not sure if he's still active here or not but he does really good quality work and deserves a namedrop.

There's some very interesting work going on here - I'll have to check it out later. I might swing by the SFmods website too and pollute that site with my awful personality as well :)

You're right, i forgot to mention Alones here, I did credit him in Shining Force Alternate but completely forgot when I updated the page here. I'll correct that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 2019 7:54am
by rid1ey
This looks really cool and look forward to playing it. Good work!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17 2019 10:37am
by Runesamurai
rid1ey wrote:This looks really cool and look forward to playing it. Good work!

It is indeed. I wonder what future updates will be in store for this mod.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 2019 4:19pm
by rid1ey
I'm struggling to get this patched - I have used the Lunar IPS patcher but it will only detect a SMD file ROM (I'm aware you have to use a BIN file but it will not detect it) The SMD file gets patched successfully but does not run on either KEGA or Picodrive.

What am I doing wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 2019 5:34pm
by Lobo
I always use bin files on Lunar Ips.
Maybe you're not seeing some option?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20 2019 5:40pm
by rid1ey
I think I have worked out what I was doing wrong - it automatically looks for most common ROM types, I needed to change that to ALL ROM types

You should be proud of what you did here - your very clever!

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0d Released 02/01/19

PostPosted: Thu May 02 2019 2:21pm
by Runesamurai
If I might make a suggestion for one more thing to change other than graphics maybe class names?

I'm thinking:

HEAL -> PRST
ASKT -> RNGR

These make more sense IMO. Should also change Lyle's promoted class name to help prevent confusion with Guntz's class. Maybe BWKT? Or whatever May's class was in SF2 upon promotion.

PostPosted: Fri May 10 2019 11:25am
by projectego
So thrilled to follow and see the SFGU come so far! It's been a pleasure seeing your wok come together over time and being privy to the hard work you've put into this, Erikin. Now that I finally have some real time on my hands, I am really looking forward to seeing your work in action. Can't wait to see what you can do with the SF2 version! :p

PostPosted: Wed May 15 2019 12:13am
by Red_Shine
projectego wrote:So thrilled to follow and see the SFGU come so far! It's been a pleasure seeing your wok come together over time and being privy to the hard work you've put into this, Erikin. Now that I finally have some real time on my hands, I am really looking forward to seeing your work in action. Can't wait to see what you can do with the SF2 version! :p

Seconded. Bowie is especially egregiously bad, and it would be nice to be able to look at him in battle without sighing at the silliness of it all for a change.

Re: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v3.0e Released 07/01/19

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02 2019 5:25am
by Erikin84
Hi everyone, I've been holding onto this update for a little while as I work on SF2GU but I hope you all enjoy it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12 2019 10:52am
by Red_Shine
Erikin84 wrote:Hi everyone, I've been holding onto this update for a little while as I work on SF2GU but I hope you all enjoy it!

Your work is awesome, as usual. You brought a level of polish to the SF1 sprites (battle sprites especially) that makes RotDD completely irrelevant to me (only plus the GBA version had to me were the graphics, never cared for the story changes).

For me the perfect SF1 experience would have your graphical improvements as a base plus Kane and Narsha as extra characters (Narsha was the one thing about RotDD that I liked) and some QoL changes SF2 introduced, like context sensitive commands.

I can't wait to see what you'll do to salvage Bowie on SF2; his dorky look compared to other heroes has always bothered me a lot. Other peeves I have with SF2 is how weird Sorcerers look; that style would have been fine for female ones (Taya fits it to a tee), but it is really jarring to me to see Kazin, or a weird old man like Tyrin sporting that shampoo commercial hair all of a sudden.

Lastly, the Jogurt Suit idea is both awesome and chuckle worthy at the same time

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31 2019 2:26am
by Melaniipon
Um, hello. I'm mostly a lurker, but I'd like to know if there is anyway for this mod to work with any gameplay mods?

These would be ideal:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43076

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21486

If not, having this with at least a bug-fixing patch would be alright:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3168/

Each time I try any of these the game crashes right before we can name Max. It almost seemed to be working with the bug-fixing patch, until the battle sprites had to show up.

Thank you for any help!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11 2019 6:01pm
by Nash Vegas
I am enjoying this mod so far. First time I have ever played a modded version of the game. I was a little confused on how to setup the mod though until i read through all the posts. I first added the Kane mod and then the graphic mod only for it to crash on the first battle. Also when I did this Hans' name was Kane and he had the sword of darkness instead of a bow equipped. One question I have so far is Luke's portrait. Is he supposed to have the promoted portrait at the start?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24 2019 9:12am
by Erikin84
Nash Vegas wrote:I am enjoying this mod so far. First time I have ever played a modded version of the game. I was a little confused on how to setup the mod though until i read through all the posts. I first added the Kane mod and then the graphic mod only for it to crash on the first battle. Also when I did this Hans' name was Kane and he had the sword of darkness instead of a bow equipped. One question I have so far is Luke's portrait. Is he supposed to have the promoted portrait at the start?

When it comes to Shinining Force modding, you can only use one mod at a time. As a lot of the ones available are incompatible.