Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Where does SF rank in the best ever Megadrive games?

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Where does SF rank in the best ever Megadrive games?

Postby Funkymonk » Fri Aug 31 2018 10:56pm

We all love Shining Force (duh) and it's certainly a classic of its genre but if you were going to objectively judge how great it is overall how should it be remembered? Would it make the top 10 Megadrive games? Do any of you even think it's the greatest ever Megadrive game? Is it perhaps a bit underrated?
Judge others not by their actions but why they do it.
Judge yourself by your actions not why you do it.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Where does SF rank in the best ever Megadrive games?

Postby Urgat » Mon Sep 03 2018 12:26pm

For me it is not only in the top 10 of MegaDrive/Genesis games but definitely in the Top 5 of all games ever. I fell in love with it as kid when it came out, and I am still loving and playing it now at an age of 36.

In a MegaDrive/Genesis Top 10 it would be Nr. 1 (and Shining Force 2 would be Nr. 2 followed by Landstalker)
Urgat

Postby Lobo » Mon Sep 03 2018 6:24pm

I'd put it easily on Top 10, along with Landstalker, Phantasy Star IV, Toe Jam & Earl and six others.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Tyadran » Mon Sep 03 2018 6:36pm

I'm personally biased since SF1 is my favorite game of all time, but it's easily top 10 and possibly even top 5, as a series overall.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Funkymonk » Mon Sep 03 2018 7:37pm

Thanks for the replies. I think SF would make my top 10 Megadrive list too but exactly how high I really can't decide. The Megadrive has so many great games that I'd actually have some difficulty making a top 10 Megadrive list, it really was one of the greatest consoles ever.
I think one thing we can say is that in terms of the TBS Role Playing genre there was nothing to touch it at the time and to me it's a game that remains just as playable now as it was back then.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Sep 04 2018 1:57am

I may be the outcast here from the other comments thus far, but I don't think I'd be able to put it in my Top 10 because of Shining Force 2. Granted there are some things I prefer in the first game, and can revisit either one at any time and have a blast, I just feel like SF2 is objectively a superior game with a wider variety of characters (both allies and enemies), a more fleshed out story with a vaster world to explore, more polished combat, and a wider variety of customization thanks to the special promotions and some of the more unique and interesting weapons. Because of that, I don't see myself putting Shining Force in my Top 10 Genesis List because SF2's superiority disqualifies it considering there being plenty of other games that also deserve to be ranked so prestigiously as to not warrant having two games on the list that are so similar.

If anything, I would put Shining Force as an honorable mention on those aforementioned grounds.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Funkymonk » Tue Sep 04 2018 6:56pm

@DomingoRules! I kind of meant either SF1 or SF2 anyway!
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Tue Sep 04 2018 9:40pm

I like SF1 better for a handfull of reasons like characters, art and music. I like it's unique stats growth system too.

SF2 has it's strong points though, like more weapons and summon magic spells.

I don't know if I'd put SF2 in top 10. Maybe.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DiegoMM » Wed Sep 05 2018 12:31am

My top 1 is a tie between sonic 2 and shining force 2, they are the best MD games for me.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Sep 05 2018 2:59am

Well I'd probably rate Shining Force 2 as #2 or #3, but #1 for me is Phantasy Star 4.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Funkymonk » Thu Sep 06 2018 7:43pm

DiegoMM wrote:My top 1 is a tie between sonic 2 and shining force 2, they are the best MD games for me.

Yes I think Sonic 2 would be on everyone's top 10 list and probably Streets of Rage 2 as well.
Last edited by Funkymonk on Fri Sep 07 2018 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Urgat » Fri Sep 07 2018 8:43am

Funkymonk wrote:Yes I think Sonic 2 would be on everyone's to 10 list and probably Streets of Rage 2 as well.

My # 4 and 5 ...but I am not sure in what order...
Urgat

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Sep 09 2018 2:48pm

Funkymonk wrote:Yes I think Sonic 2 would be on everyone's top 10 list and probably Streets of Rage 2 as well.

Maybe when I was younger, but I'm not 100% about now. Especially Sonic 2. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game. It's just that as the years went on, I started having less interest in platformers that are primarily just running and jumping the likes of Sonic, and Mario. You run and jump in all platformers, so I feel as though I need something more out of them than that. A weapon to fight with, or some other sort of gameplay mechanic that expands upon that base concept. Even something as simple as Lion King I think I would put over Sonic 2 today because while it's mostly running and jumping, you have a little bit more going for it than that with the roar attack, ledge climbing, the eventual slash, and even permanent stat upgrades you can find in stages to make it feel like I'm doing more than just the bare minimum of what makes a game a platformer.

Of course, I'm just generalizing here, as I'm well aware of the plentiful quantities of variety in Sonic 2 found in its level design, gimmicks, and enemies, and I can still pick up the game any day and have a blast. This is just how I've grown to feel about platformers as a whole, and thus have a hard time praising either Sonic or Mario as I once did.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Funkymonk » Sun Sep 09 2018 3:23pm

@DomingoRules! I think what you've got bored of is precisely what I love about games from that era - they were just about pure gameplay and fun. As much as like todays deeper and more nuanced games like Fallout 4 or the cinematics and plots of game like The Last of Us there's still a part of me that still likes the more simple charms of the 16 Bit era.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Sep 10 2018 2:07am

Funkymonk wrote:@DomingoRules! I think what you've got bored of is precisely what I love about games from that era - they were just about pure gameplay and fun. As much as like todays deeper and more nuanced games like Fallout 4 or the cinematics and plots of game like The Last of Us there's still a part of me that still likes the more simple charms of the 16 Bit era.

That's totally incorrect. Games back then were way more fun in a much more pure form than games nowadays. Yes, modern games are entertaining, but not in the same way. They're more immersive with their stories and graphics, but with all their fluff they lose sight of how older games were able to get so much raw fun out of what little they offered. In my post, I was only comparing 16-bit games to other 16-bit games, and nothing more, for honestly I feel like it's unfair to judge games from one generation by those of another because each generation's games are a totally different kind of experience. I'm talking about comparing something like Sonic or Mario to games like Ghosts 'n Goblins, ActRaiser, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Mega Man. Games that take that run and jump formula, and just simply do so much more with it that it makes (to me) games like Mario and Sonic feel stale or uninspired even for their time.

That being said, Sonic 1 and 2 were among my most played and beloved games as a kid. It's just that as I've gotten older, I find myself gravitating more towards platformers (both new and old alike) that are more than just running and jumping. I want a weapon, or some other kind of gameplay mechanic that's a constant, and not just a stage gimmick to make the gameplay more than just running around and jumping on enemies at its core.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lobo » Wed Sep 12 2018 3:08am

Funkymonk wrote:
DiegoMM wrote:My top 1 is a tie between sonic 2 and shining force 2, they are the best MD games for me.

Yes I think Sonic 2 would be on everyone's top 10 list and probably Streets of Rage 2 as well.

I don't think Sonic 2 would be in my list, and I'd sure like to read your arguments on that.

But I feel this Sonic (and Mario) discussion has gone off-topic.

What if we start a new thread in the 'Other Games' forum?
Like 'Top Ten Mega Drive/Genesis Games'?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Funkymonk » Wed Sep 12 2018 6:51pm

Lobo, my argument is simple - I havn't met anyone who had a Megadrive who doesn't consider it one of the best games on that system if not all time. When people talk about the Megadrive or the 16Bit era one of the very first things they mention is Sonic; it's not just an amazing game it's also a seminal pop culture icon that defined an era.
Of course, you're always going to get an exception like yourself. Games like any art is about opinion.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Wed Sep 12 2018 9:03pm

I like Sonic, don't get me wrong.
But rate it #1 or #2 from a console with so many epic games?
I'm not sure if it would make the Top Ten in fact.

By the time I got my Mega Drive, in January of 1992, Sonic was the recognized as the greatest game (soon to be the greatest franchise) of the console.
As much as I liked the game and plataformers in general, I had a preference for RPGs, racing and sports games.
I chose Super Monaco GP as my first cartridge. Played that a lot!
In time I got a good set of RPGs like: D&D, Might and Magic, Shining Force I/II, Phantasy Star IV...
Along with sorted sport games from NHL, NBA and FIFA series.

By the time Sonic 2 was released, I rented the cartridge and had much fun playing it. But never clicked me to buy it.
So, though I have it as a great game, if I take what I felt and how I feel about it, I don't think it would make Top 10 after all.

It really bugs me seeing that you believe it would be everyone's Top 2.
I mean, each person must have different Top 2 as there were so many awesome games.
I can't name my Top 2 myself! Though I know half of it! hehe

If you say it would be 'everyone' (90%) Top Ten, I can go with that.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Sep 13 2018 3:23pm

I'm sure there's somebody out there who owned a Genesis, but hated Sonic.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tyadran » Thu Sep 13 2018 3:36pm

DomingoRules! wrote:I'm sure there's somebody out there who owned a Genesis, but hated Sonic.

Aye. Sonic never clicked for me so I didn't bother getting myself my own copy for my Genesis, even. It may be a classic but it doesn't really appeal to me from any of the ones I've played.

Funkymonk wrote:...my argument is simple - I havn't met anyone who had a Megadrive who doesn't consider it one of the best games on that system if not all time.

Now you have. Widen your circle a bit.
And you can't pull your 'new games' argument with me, as Shining Force 1 and Kid Chameleon are my favorite games of all time, period. Both of which are Genesis games. I personally find Kid Chameleon to be a strictly better and more interesting platformer than Sonic.
Check me out on YouTube.
Check me out on YouTube.
Tyadran

Shining Member
Shining Member

Next

Return to Shining Force