Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

A theory regarding Masahiko Yoshimura

The composer of SitD and LoGI

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

A theory regarding Masahiko Yoshimura

Postby Flygon » Sun Jan 27 2019 3:15am

Mind - This theory is probably completely bogus, but finding information on Masahiko Yoshimura is a real pain in the arse.

As many more hardcore fans are probably aware, the composer of Shining in the Darkness and Shining Force - Masahiko Yoshimura - has those two titles only under their belt.

This seems a bit unusual, especially considering the Shining Force soundtrack in particular is fairly popular and high quality.

I decided to go sniffing about, and came about the fact that the man Masahiko Yoshimura and Motoaki Takenouchi - the latter being the composer for many of the later Shining games, and having a huge broader discography, both started developing games music around the same time. Yoshimura with Shining in the Darkness releasing around March, 1991, and Takenouchi's Jewel Master coming around August, 1991.

Something that also struck me is SOME musical similarities between Shining Force and Landstalker, but that might just be me overanalyzing the broader aesthetic similarities between the two titles.

Anyway, it's known that Takenouchi took over composing for the Shining series by late 1992, with Shining Force Gaiden.

It's also known that budget constraints lead to Shining Force II losing a lot of art staff, and having to re-hire new ones.

Essentially, my theory proposes that Masahiko Yoshimura is just a pen name - a false name to work behind - for Motoaki Takenouchi.
I don't have any real rationale behind this, beyond Yoshimura's suspiciously small discography and sudden disappearing off the face of the Earth - and the fact that Shining Force II bled a LOT of staff members works against this theory.

Why would they work behind a pen name, if this theory is true? I don't know. Maybe it's a contractual thing?...
I'm asking here because you guys are far smarter than me. And maybe know a lot more to the story that I do not know. And I'm aware I'm probably making a giant ass of myself with all this wild mass guessing going on in this post.

But I'd love to be educated!
Flygon

Powered by Jets
Shining Hero

Re: A theory regarding Masahiko Yoshimura

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Jan 27 2019 12:57pm

Pretty interesting.
In older days of gaming, artist used a lot of fake names because the companys are afraid of other companing trying to hire then after a succesul game.

But I know theres some members here live in japan and maybe can help us.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Wiz » Sun Jan 27 2019 2:54pm

Hey Flygon !

Just my quick point of view :

You may not be aware that Masahiko Yoshimura has been identified as Youtube user "brainbrown" :
https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25476&p=754129&hilit=brainbrown#p754129
Here is a video where you can see him in the comments :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtGaA_6DQOs
And you can see his face quite clearly on this video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5W_I-owJLg

Now Motoaki Takenouchi is much more famous and his face can be found quite easily :
https://www.google.fr/search?q=Motoaki+Takenouchi&safe=off&client=opera&hs=kDn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1k_m_hI7gAhVGOBoKHeDABh4Q_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=723

So they seem to be two different persons, in my humble non-physionomist opinion. :)
Wiz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Flygon » Mon Jan 28 2019 7:53am

I thought I'd seen a topic such as the one I made! But when I tried to find it using the forum search feature, it had not popped up!

I'd love to see if it could be verified if this Masahiko Yoshimura is the real deal someday. It would be quite exciting. And to hear what happened from their view.
Flygon