Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force Skill System

proof of concept (v1.2.0)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Postby Siel » Fri Apr 05 2019 4:02am

Download
v1.2.0

I took the base game and basically tacked on a sort of skill system. The rest of the game remains as is (except for the LE bug also being fixed in passing) and nothing has been rebalanced around these new elements. There's also no way to check what each skill does from within the game yet either, which is why I haven't added skills to enemies. And the skill icons were quickly and lazily drawn.

So it's mostly just a proof of concept. I can add information later on how make one's own edits to which characters learn what skills when (all of this data is in a single table for convenience). Maybe how to edit certain skills' parameters too. I have added basic instructions on how to do the former further down below.

Current skills:
WARNING: SPOILER!

Default skills by character:

Editing skills by character:

Editing skill icons:

Current issues:

Changelog:
Last edited by Siel on Thu Apr 11 2019 10:28pm, edited 4 times in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force Skill System

Postby DiegoMM » Fri Apr 05 2019 12:10pm

Impressive!
The question I alwasy think when I see something like this. Is it possible to implement in SF2 in the future?
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Fri Apr 05 2019 12:23pm

Wow!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
This is huge!
I hope you can solve the issues and come to implement it fully! :excited: :) :thumbsup:

Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Siel » Wed Apr 10 2019 8:35pm

DiegoMM wrote:Impressive!
The question I alwasy think when I see something like this. Is it possible to implement in SF2 in the future?

Implementing this into SF2 should be feasible. Just straight up copy pasting the code into SF2 and then readjusting all the subroutine locations should theoretically have it functional.

Or that's what I'd like to say, but there are two problems:
1. SF2 doesn't have enough unused space in the character RAM to fit in skill data
2. I don't know how SF2 handles graphics or how to add more

1 can probably be fixed by expanding the RAM used by characters and enemies or by repurposing current data (like the kill and defeat counts) and 2 is just a lack of knowledge.

Lobo wrote:Maybe you could just add a bookcase in HQ (a tricky map) or in each church to explain all of that!

In that case, I can leave it to the user to implement something like that and make their own text edits

Lobo wrote:If one can use SF editor to make all the desired changes and THEN apply your Skills upgrade through other software/patching, that should be good enough. :)

That should work at the moment. It's probably also possible to continue editing from the editor even after applying the patch. A caveat is that the patch overwrites over half of the extended items.

edit: I just tested it, and apparently saving while in the "Mechanics" tab even without touching anything will overwrite the status window edits that this patch makes, so that's another caveat. Items should also not be unextented, since that erases the skill icons. It seems fine otherwise?
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Morath » Thu Apr 11 2019 8:31pm

Awesome! This achieves more character differentiation and brings into consideration the use of specific characters on specific maps based on the terrain or enemies instead of only considering your character's stats. I'm excited about this!
Morath

Postby Siel » Thu Apr 11 2019 10:06pm

I uploaded a new version (1.2.0) that doesn't conflict with SF1 Editor's extended items anymore. The downside, of course, is that skill icons can't be edited directly from within the editor anymore.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Runesamurai » Wed Apr 17 2019 10:01pm

Holy Crap it's actually possible to do this now? Finally Shining Force is one more step closer to Fire Emblem's awesomeness.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Fri May 10 2019 12:04pm

Incredible! Editor caveats or not, this is still an amazing achievement. Great work, Siel!
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

(Romans 12:1-2)
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

(Romans 12:1-2)
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force