Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Been forever

I’m Back!

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Been forever

Postby NitroGoblin » Tue May 28 2019 7:55am

Jeez last I login in was ages ago. I’m even being treated like a new member so this is weird XD :confused:
NitroGoblin

Re: Been forever

Postby Funkymonk » Sat Jun 01 2019 12:24pm

I recently returned after being away for ages too. There's only a couple of people still here that I remember from before but it's just nice too see that Shining Force still has a forum after all these years. I wonder how many of todays games will still have such a dedicated following 25+ years later?
Judge others not by their actions but why they do it.
Judge yourself by your actions not why you do it.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Jun 01 2019 8:34pm

That's something I definitely find myself wondering at times. Which games today will be remembered decades later as classics in the way that gamers today remember titles the likes of A Link to the Past, Sonic 2, Super Mario World, and Super Metroid? Especially among those who are right now growing up with them.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Funkymonk » Thu Jun 06 2019 10:54pm

In recent years there isn't honestly many games that I would say were seminal classics that people will definitely still talk about years later. Maybe some of the Naughty Dog games, Portal, Fallout..............
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Jun 07 2019 1:02am

Maybe, but I feel like that's for younger gamers to decide, because the memories of today's games will be more impactful to them. We, meanwhile, will continue to be remembering the games we grew up with, and probably forget most we played in our 20's or 30's.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Funkymonk » Fri Jun 07 2019 8:16pm

Yes, I guess everyone will have rose tinted memories of the games they grew up with but even with the nostalgia glasses off the 16-Bit era was a truly golden era for games. :)
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Jun 08 2019 1:41am

I feel like the edge of older games is that they had to be fun, and nothing else. They didn't have the luxury of leaning on other features to trick players into thinking the game is more fun than it is, such as deep character customization and expansive storylines. Nowadays, games can do so much to allure players, that a classic can have mediocre gameplay if it does other things well enough. Back then, if the core gameplay wasn't entertaining, nothing else could save the game from being terrible.
Last edited by DomingoRules! on Mon Jun 10 2019 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DVthemaster » Sat Jun 08 2019 2:58am

see its funny because i joined again like over a year ago even though ive been on the site since i was like 10
:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
DVthemaster

Postby Funkymonk » Sun Jun 09 2019 12:30pm

DomingoRules! wrote:I feel like the edge of older games is that they had to be fun, and nothing else. They didn't have the luxury or leaning on other features to trick players into thinking the game is more fun than it is, such as deep character customization and expansive storylines. Nowadays, games can do so much to allure players, that a classic can have mediocre gameplay if it does other things well enough. Back then, if the core gameplay wasn't entertaining, nothing else could save the game from being terrible.

That's a very good point. I do enjoy todays games but ther's a part of me that misses the pure gameplay and sense of fun of older games. Maybe it's because I'm old school but the gameplay will always come first for me. Some games these days are more like an interactive movie where you spend more time watching cut scenes or just listening to the characters talk then actually "playing" the game. You're right that a game can be branded a classic based almost solely on a good plot and cinematics with the gameplay an afterthought. However, that's not to say a game can't have both. The aforementioned Naughty Dog are brilliant at making games that look like a fantastic movie while still keeping the player in control as much as possible. Unchartered 2 is the best example with it's perfect balance and pacing between gameplay, set pieces, cut scenes and when it's done that well it's magical.
There are other experiences that are unique to modern games. For example if you think of the survival horror genre and how it makes you feel with it's use of atmosphere and ambiance. Older games could only dream of creating such an intense experience.
Funkymonk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Jun 10 2019 2:37pm

Funkymonk wrote:
DomingoRules! wrote:I feel like the edge of older games is that they had to be fun, and nothing else. They didn't have the luxury or leaning on other features to trick players into thinking the game is more fun than it is, such as deep character customization and expansive storylines. Nowadays, games can do so much to allure players, that a classic can have mediocre gameplay if it does other things well enough. Back then, if the core gameplay wasn't entertaining, nothing else could save the game from being terrible.

That's a very good point. I do enjoy todays games but ther's a part of me that misses the pure gameplay and sense of fun of older games. Maybe it's because I'm old school but the gameplay will always come first for me. Some games these days are more like an interactive movie where you spend more time watching cut scenes or just listening to the characters talk then actually "playing" the game. You're right that a game can be branded a classic based almost solely on a good plot and cinematics with the gameplay an afterthought. However, that's not to say a game can't have both. The aforementioned Naughty Dog are brilliant at making games that look like a fantastic movie while still keeping the player in control as much as possible. Unchartered 2 is the best example with it's perfect balance and pacing between gameplay, set pieces, cut scenes and when it's done that well it's magical.
There are other experiences that are unique to modern games. For example if you think of the survival horror genre and how it makes you feel with it's use of atmosphere and ambiance. Older games could only dream of creating such an intense experience.

Indeed. Of course, I'm definitely not making the point for the sake of belittling newer games. They're entertaining in their own ways, and all the extra content and features are definitely pluses. It's just that the fun factor in older games is something I believe to be much more pure, because it's about gameplay and practically nothing else, whereas newer games earn their entertainment through a myriad blend of features besides just fun gameplay. Alas, sometimes those features can blind us to how tainted the core gameplay of a title is.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force