Shining Force II: Mistakes in Moogie's Guide

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Mistakes in Moogie's Guide

Post by Martin III »

jj_frap @ Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:15 am) wrote: Many of my ratings took into account the fact that I never really spent time power-leveling "weak" characters aside from Bleu and Lyle.
Odd, I got the impression from the site that the opposite was true. Just going by Rusty's examples: With Amon, I think his point was that unless you power-level, the statistical difference between her and other characters isn't that much, and her flight is a great boon. And if you're not power-leveling Alef, far from being the best mage in the game, she's too weak to be of any use, as compared to Tao and especially Anri who are already superb at that point. ...I also recall the guide calling Torasu "another el cheapo character" on the assumption that he learns Aura 4 on the first battle you have him on.

But anyway, all pretty meaningless IMO, as any ratings depend on the individual gamer's playing style. The only absolute is that Jogurt is the weakest character. :)
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
jj_frap
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by jj_frap »

I did Alef and Torasu too for curiosity's sake as well....It's been forever since I've done anything with SF1. I played RotD 4 years ago, and that's it. I prefer SF2 now for some reason. In any event, I think I should make my LP a no Egress game.

Holy crap: I just looked through my guide for the first time in over 5 years and it's poorly written, has a fair number of spelling errors, and uses some mean-spirited language. I almost want to make it disappear now...lol

Sure, it was updated in 2003, but I have shit in there that's not been rewritten since 1999.
Zeon-Darksol
Whacked with the Banstick

Post by Zeon-Darksol »

MXC @ Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:00 pm) wrote: We all know that there are some mistakes in Moogie's Guide. I think it would be a good idea to compose them all into this single topic as a good reminder for a quick reference and eventually as a reminder as to what needs to be changed.

So submit mistakes you've found (and how to correct it, if you can). No discussion is really necessary, these are just facts.

(And maybe this deserves a Sticky?)
Not submiting anything, but moogie hasnt did anything with that guide since 2005 and i dont think she is going to do anything with it soon, even if we submit these ideals to her/him.
HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

I may be crazy but.... im not as crazy as Balbazak
Z Master @ Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:19 pm wrote: Im a retard. I admit it.
Balbaroy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Balbaroy »

Moogie (She's a she) isn't the only one, I believe, with the ability to go and change the guide. Also, for those of us who do rely on it from time to time, we'd like a compendium of the errors. If you don't need them, good for you, but there's those here who may.
Proud MD Bro, Medical Marvel and Team CP Member.
Zeon-Darksol

Post by Zeon-Darksol »

Balbaroy @ Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:35 am) wrote: Moogie (She's a she) isn't the only one, I believe, with the ability to go and change the guide. Also, for those of us who do rely on it from time to time, we'd like a compendium of the errors. If you don't need them, good for you, but there's those here who may.
I honestly dont need monsters, i like the walthrough, because of maps for my shining force 2 remake. the characters for my rom hack. so i can see spell gain. i like nearly every section. Some we could do without though, but are essential if its the ultamite guide obv....

Anyways ill look for some mistakes.
HC Zeon-Darksol
-----

I may be crazy but.... im not as crazy as Balbazak
Z Master @ Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:19 pm wrote: Im a retard. I admit it.
ehow22
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Post by ehow22 »

Bump.

Moogie's guide just seems to come up more often nowadays.
Lightside
BANNED

Post by Lightside »

it says in a few places that the 3 other creed characters can be recruited after you have the sky orb. common misconception - the point at which you can get them is when frayja opens the gate of Moun.

some other stuff. i may be mistaken on a couple of them though

Bubbling Ooze's attack can cause dispel
Dark Smoke's attack can cause dispel
Harpy Queen's attack can cause dispel
Demon has Bolt 2, not Bolt 3
it says the Executioner's attack can cause muddle? i'm not sure that's right, i think it's dispel
it says the Kraken leg can cause poison? that's certainly news to me
Pyrohyrda's fire breath is not mentioned

finally, slightly more pedantic. it says in the Demon Master's notes that it recovers 2 MP per turn. that's true because of the mystery staff. but in that case the Blue Shaman's notes should mention the 2 HP per turn thanks to the holy staff.
SF2 Milestone Solos (no egress or resetting. Number of deaths in brackets)
Peter (0), Claude (0), Zynk (1), Karna VICR (0), Frayja MMNK (0), Gerhalt (0), Eric PGNT (1), Sarah MMNK (0), Eric PLDN (0), Rick PLDN (0), Sheela VICR (0)
ehow22
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Post by ehow22 »

Those are all correct, Lightside. Although, Hedge mentioned a couple of them before.

Also: Galam has Demon Breath, I can smell it through the screen.
Space King
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Space King »

Ha. Bump for justice eh?

To be more clear on myself:

The Demon Rod* decreases Agility, not Defense, and Sleep targets an area not a single guy. Not that it really makes it much more useful.

What's deeply sad and amusing is these errors are a good technique to uncover plagiarism - a technique that's been used for decades. If you look at a SF2 guide, and see the guy claiming the Demon Rod decreases defense, you can be certain beyond reasonable doubt he just ripped off the SF2 central site.

* (The demon rod is an awesome argument for a usefulness of letting Taya have the Attack spell in solos.)
ehow22
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Post by ehow22 »

Space King @ Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:43 am) wrote: Ha. Bump for justice eh?
Sure, let's go with that :shifty:
What's deeply sad and amusing is these errors are a good technique to uncover plagiarism - a technique that's been used for decades. If you look at a SF2 guide, and see the guy claiming the Demon Rod decreases defense, you can be certain beyond reasonable doubt he just ripped off the SF2 central site.

Maybe the mistakes are inentional for that reason. :lol:
Lightside
BANNED

Post by Lightside »

it says the Reaper has Muddle 2 spell (true) and Dispel attack side-effect (false, it's Muddle attack side-effect)
it says the Skeleton can poison, i'm pretty sure that isn't true

also if anything is worth mentioning in the monsters' notes then it would be those monsters who get double turns. dark smoke, kraken head, taros, chess king, willard, and the bosses/greater devils from zalbard onwards.
Peter (0), Claude (0), Zynk (1), Karna VICR (0), Frayja MMNK (0), Gerhalt (0), Eric PGNT (1), Sarah MMNK (0), Eric PLDN (0), Rick PLDN (0), Sheela VICR (0)
ehow22
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Post by ehow22 »

I was agreeing with you.
Lightside
BANNED

Post by Lightside »

i wasn't under a different impression, just posting some more things that didn't immediately occur to me when i posted the first list.

i can't be specific on this point but i have a vague memory of some of the spell-learning levels not being correct... i can't remember for whom though.

also, it says slade can use the battle sword, that's not true. of the special non-buyable swords, he can only use the critical sword, dark sword, and the three ninja mithril swords.
ehow22
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Post by ehow22 »

Lightside @ Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:16 pm) wrote: also, it says slade can use the battle sword, that's not true. of the special non-buyable swords, he can only use the critical sword, dark sword, and the three ninja mithril swords.
Wooden sword :D

Tyrin's Freeze 4 lv is wrong, that's about it I think.
Colonel M
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Colonel M »

Adding some other info (like getting rid of the ?? since we know what the actual stat is).

This has Super Mode's Attack listed in here. It would be awesome to add to the main guide, or at least on the monster's.

This I had an idea with. Perhaps listing the averages for each level, then assuming promotion at Level 20. So to give you an idea, let's pretend that we'll use Bowie:CODE
HP | MP | Atk | Def | Agi
Level 1 - 12 | 8 | 6 | 4 | 2
Level 2 - 13 | 8 | 7 | 5 | 4

And so on. No, those aren't Bowie's real stats perse (MP and Agi were made up).
Thou Shalt Not Replace Me!

Shining Force II Log (No Egress, No Deaths, Super Mode

Youtube Videos (Up To Battle 7)
Dumbest Quote Ever Seen:
I think you are the only person I know who uses Pegasus Knights like Archers. Everyone else seems to use Knights as frontline fighters with a ranged option.
What can I say? I'm a bored man.
Lightside
BANNED

Post by Lightside »

ehow22 @ Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:23 am) wrote: Wooden sword :D
one of these days, i'm not going to sell the wooden sword. i'll get bowie's short sword after the gizmo fight but i'll hang on to the wooden one. then right near the end of the game i'm gonna give the wooden sword to lemon and let him finish zeon off with it.

groovy
ehow22
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Post by ehow22 »

Colonel M @ Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:35 pm) wrote:
[url]=http://www.mediafire.com/?gzw2jdtmomk]This[/url] has Super Mode's Attack listed in here. It would be awesome to add to the main guide, or at least on the monster's.

Fix'd. That's an easy mistake there.
Colonel M
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Colonel M »

ehow22 @ Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:00 pm) wrote: Fix'd. That's an easy mistake there.
Thanks for the catch. Fix'd.
Thou Shalt Not Replace Me!

Shining Force II Log (No Egress, No Deaths, Super Mode

Youtube Videos (Up To Battle 7)
Dumbest Quote Ever Seen:
I think you are the only person I know who uses Pegasus Knights like Archers. Everyone else seems to use Knights as frontline fighters with a ranged option.
What can I say? I'm a bored man.
Lightside
BANNED

Post by Lightside »

ehow22 @ Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:23 am) wrote: Tyrin's Freeze 4 lv is wrong, that's about it I think.
what's the correct level for freeze 4?
MaxKnight
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MaxKnight »

Lightside @ Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:40 pm) wrote:what's the correct level for freeze 4?
Clean ROM says level 38, which is 18 promoted.
Shining Force II Statistics SpreadsheetAccuracy UPDATED
Shining Force II Growth Rates SpreadsheetAccuracy UPDATED
My YouTube Channel(Completed SF2 PS4P, and SF LPs)
My FanFiction.net profile (No SF works)
MXC @ Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 pm wrote:MaxKnight owns.
Colonel M @ Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 pm wrote:This person seems to be on crack.  >_>;