Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Interesting Observations!

Funny and or Strange Also!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Interesting Observations!

Postby Skunky » Sat Mar 14 2009 4:02am

Alright, anybody got some funny or strange, or interesting observations?

I have noticed, all the characters on the Force, all the Devils practically, the Kings, the Princess, Astral, etcetera, all have portraits, but the Minister, who is in the game throughout, has no portrait, first or last name, family, friends, home, backstory or hair.

Also, in New Granseal, we noticed every cabin was built after a 1 year period, and the entire town is finished except for a building on the lower right hand corner of town. But the Priest in town has nothing but an altar and a rug, and he says "
I wish I had a roof" or something if you talk to him from the side instead of from the front. Why does everybody get a building but the Priest?

Edit: Also, it may sound stupid but I think I may have just discovered a secret in this game that I have never heard of before.

In Ribble, when you gain the Mayor's trust initially, then go to the item/weapon shop.

Walk into the store all the way on the left side of the double door, then when you run into the bar, turn back the way you came. When you can only see Bowie's hair above the doorframe, click C on Genesis or 2 on Wii, it will give you an unusual message. (keep in mind, normally when you click C or 2, it brings up the 4 menu boxes, unless there is something hidden there, then it searches automatically, as in the case of hidden Mithril.

Well, this says "BOWIE investigated." then you click the button and it says "Nothing interesting there." and it works on both sides of the door (meaning left or right side) as you leave. Can anybody explain this? Or have seen it documented somewhere?

Edit 2: It also works in Historian Paseran's house at the same area as in the shop.
Yay my house is clean!
Yay my house is clean!
Skunky

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Interesting Observations!

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Mar 14 2009 6:56am

Yeah, I've always wondered about why the minister didn't get a portrait, ever since I first played through the game. He seems like an important enough of a character to get one in my opinion.
Hmmm...well, I can't think of anything to contribute to the list myself.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Sun Mar 15 2009 12:38am

Skunky @ Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:02 am) wrote: Also, in New Granseal, we noticed every cabin was built after a 1 year period, and the entire town is finished except for a building on the lower right hand corner of town. But the Priest in town has nothing but an altar and a rug, and he says "I wish I had a roof" or something if you talk to him from the side instead of from the front. Why does everybody get a building but the Priest?

Maybe the whole village is working on one building at a time?

I think(not at all sure) that the "Nothing interesting there" message pops up whenever you search a place where an item is hidden a second time. For instance, if you search a bush and find a medical herb, and then search the same bush again, it'll give you that "Bowie investigated... Nothing interest there." Of course, that doesn't explain why you're finding it in the locations you are.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Zoidberg » Sun Mar 15 2009 3:04am

No in the town with the mayor and the searchable doors (by the all the doors can be searched besides the mayors door.) The reason is, and it took me years to figure it out lol, the reason is the doors were all locked when you first entered the town. If you searched them then it says "The door is locked..." or whatever. They must've coded the locked doors differently then when the doors were locked in other areas. Mainly because this happens nowhere else.

makes sense right? Once the whole town's doors were locked then you can search them later...
Shining Force, Forever.

A boy awakes a quilt asunder
The night before arose the thunder
Called upon this frightful mission
For once told; a witch's vision
Brood upon this witch's brew
Now he's man, not boy, but hero...
Shining Force, Forever.

A boy awakes a quilt asunder
The night before arose the thunder
Called upon this frightful mission
For once told; a witch's vision
Brood upon this witch's brew
Now he's man, not boy, but hero...
Zoidberg

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Balbazak » Sun Mar 15 2009 4:54am

I like the end of the game when you-
Well, just in case:
WARNING: SPOILER!

*whew*

:g:
Thoughts?
Balbazak can often be heard, saying "I like stars" while being drunk.

:thumbsup:

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Mar 15 2009 5:06am

QUOTE (Balbazak @ Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:54 am) I like the end of the game when you-
Well, just in case:
WARNING: SPOILER!

*whew*

:g:
Thoughts?
I honestly don't think it makes any logical sense, but as far as the making of the game goes I'm sure they did it so they wouldn't have to make a brand new map just for that one part in the game.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Balbazak » Sun Mar 15 2009 5:38pm

Yeah, it just always irked me the wrong way... very strange.
Speaking of strange, I was playing the Zeon fight last night and something, well, strange happened.
The Blue Shaman near Zeon was about to die, when he moved off of the blue stage as if he could fly! He then used one of his healing rains to cure himself and Zeon, a trick I like to use to get more exp off of Zeon-
Spare the Shaman as long as possible, until Zeon is in his yellow bar, then hurt the Shaman enough so he'll use the healing rain, make sure he's already out of MP though, he'll heal Zeon and himself all the way, giving you more exp off of Zeon.
Anyhoo...
My Shaman flew. Not sure why. :)

Balbazak

The Star Lord
Shining Legend

Postby Hirsute » Sun Mar 15 2009 7:59pm

I assumed the reason that the priest and that dude didn't have houses in New Granseal was because everyone had to build their own house. The guy in the bottom right is probably just inept and the priest can't do manual labour, so I'm guessing he has to wait for someone to build his church for him.

As for New Old Granseal at the end of the game, I guess that Mitula and Volcanon, as a gift for defeating Zeon, rebuild original Granseal as it had been before the accident.
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

Aldur wrote:Oh my god Hirsute, you're a sadistic bastard.

Hirsute's Shining Force 2 Mod
Every battle redesigned. Characters rebalanced. Fun increased. Try it now!
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

Aldur wrote:Oh my god Hirsute, you're a sadistic bastard.

Hirsute's Shining Force 2 Mod
Every battle redesigned. Characters rebalanced. Fun increased. Try it now!
Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Mon Mar 16 2009 1:32am

Hirsute, that's the way I always figured it. After all, you're told at one point that Volcanon has the ability to raise someone from the dead. Why not a whole town? XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Dark Link » Mon Mar 16 2009 1:56am

Omega Entity @ Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 pm) wrote: Why not a whole town? XD

Towns don't die. They have no pulse. I think the logical answer is that the programmers didn't want to create a whole new map for a town that was a town at one point. Plus, it looks nice to have a full-circle feel to a game.

Edit: Why is it that Claude cannot move just because his arm is missing? I'd understand a leg or something, but his arm would just be inconvenient.
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby sulfuroxp » Mon Mar 16 2009 2:20am

Dark Link @ Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:56 pm) wrote: Towns don't die. They have no pulse. I think the logical answer is that the programmers didn't want to create a whole new map for a town that was a town at one point. Plus, it looks nice to have a full-circle feel to a game.

Edit: Why is it that Claude cannot move just because his arm is missing? I'd understand a leg or something, but his arm would just be inconvenient.

golems has no legs or a stupids really bad legs... and use his arms to move

i think XP
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Mar 16 2009 2:25am

Dark Link @ Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:56 am) wrote: Why is it that Claude cannot move just because his arm is missing? I'd understand a leg or something, but his arm would just be inconvenient.

Maybe his arms are really heavy, and without both, his body isn't balanced and he would topple over if he tried to move.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Flygon » Mon Mar 16 2009 5:41am

Balbazak @ Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:38 pm) wrote: Yeah, it just always irked me the wrong way... very strange.
Speaking of strange, I was playing the Zeon fight last night and something, well, strange happened.
The Blue Shaman near Zeon was about to die, when he moved off of the blue stage as if he could fly! He then used one of his healing rains to cure himself and Zeon, a trick I like to use to get more exp off of Zeon-
Spare the Shaman as long as possible, until Zeon is in his yellow bar, then hurt the Shaman enough so he'll use the healing rain, make sure he's already out of MP though, he'll heal Zeon and himself all the way, giving you more exp off of Zeon.
Anyhoo...
My Shaman flew. Not sure why. :)

I think there is some sorta glitch where characters can move outside of their intended range, it was a trick found when they were seeing how fast they could do a TAS, but uh, I think it had some sort of glitch involving the menus, so I don't see how the monster could fly.

Are you able to reproduce a video at all?
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did
Destructiox: ;_;
Flygon: Wiz actually got in the chopper
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did