Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Caravan v0.6 UNSTABLE

Emphasis on UNSTABLE!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: The Caravan v0.6 UNSTABLE

Postby Obob » Mon Apr 26 2010 6:49pm

I wasn't aware anybody was seriously working on a conversion. I agree that it is clearly too early to do it even half-decently just using the editors.

In the grand scheme of things, though, changing the stat growth formulas is a really small issue. Simply the fact that we know where in the ROM the stat growth data is located means that it probably isn't too tough to change it.
Obob

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Destructiox » Mon Apr 26 2010 10:35pm

Eh, I ported the bosses from SFI into SFII (with the help of our very own Lord Oddeye Sama) alongside a few icons, but nothing more serious than that.
(Not so) 'Elite' hacker of #sf2hack, irc.darkmyst.org

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.
Destructiox

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kiego » Sat May 01 2010 4:30pm

Ahhh! man! forum hack everyone! lets do it! I'm gonna mess around with this the rest of my life;Battle sprite viewer made me jizz a little. Its only a matter of time before BNC cracks back animations too! I should start making sprite rips right now? What do you guys think? BNC gonna make this happen?

I'm gonna re-edit sprites anyway...

EDIT:

ver 6 wont run anymore? it worked 5 mins ago but now its like shutting down every time i load the rom and click a tab, fails to respond.
Kiego

Postby Destructiox » Sun May 02 2010 1:45am

Could you be any more specific than that? Link to a screenshot of what happens, what error messages pop up, etc?

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.
Destructiox

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kiego » Sun May 02 2010 5:44am

i found the problem, im on windows 7 and i needed to switch to windows basic or something? well i picked my windows theme and it works fine now?

weird windows 7 glitch
Kiego

Postby Destructiox » Sun May 02 2010 4:40pm

Yeah, it's having issues with 7.

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.
Destructiox

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kiego » Tue May 04 2010 7:17pm

I tried experimenting with max in slade pallete, the knife juggling couldn't be helped. Also the background is gone? I wonder why.

Kiego

Postby Flaming Manakin » Tue Jun 29 2010 2:04pm

A newby question on this hacking stuff, but is it possible to add monsters to battles? Clicking the 'add monster' button on battles makes an Ooze sprite appear at present.
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Tue Jun 29 2010 4:13pm

Flaming Manakin @ Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 pm) wrote: A newby question on this hacking stuff, but is it possible to add monsters to battles? Clicking the 'add monster' button on battles makes an Ooze sprite appear at present.

Not sure if i'm using a slightly advanced version of the editor, but yes, the add monster button does work.

That ooze that appears needs to be reassigned a different Monster ID, which appears next to the sprite on the bottom left of the window (you should see it amongst all the monster AI stuff in that part of the window). once you have the monster, you then click where on the map you want it to go.

just a note: Make sure there are no more than 32 individual units in total on a map (includes monsters, players and npcs), as this is the limit the emulator can work with in memory before graphical garbage starts occuring.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Flaming Manakin » Tue Jun 29 2010 5:12pm

Thanks man, that's great.

I've played a handful of the current hacks, but I've not seen any changes in monster locations or types on monsters in battles. Is this right? I'd have imagined that would have been a quite cool but easy way of spicing up the game.
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Destructiox » Tue Jun 29 2010 5:13pm

just a note: Make sure there are no more than 32 individual units in total on a map (includes monsters, players and npcs), as this is the limit the emulator can work with in memory before graphical garbage starts occuring.

Also, don't try to put Zeon, Taros and/or Kraken in the same battle. It doesn't hold together too well for the game.

EDIT:

I've played a handful of the current hacks, but I've not seen any changes in monster locations or types on monsters in battles. Is this right? I'd have imagined that would have been a quite cool but easy way of spicing up the game.

I'd assume thats because people have changed the monster's stats, as opposed to which monsters are in the battle. I've not played many SFII hacks though, so i wouldn't know the exact changes.

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.
Destructiox

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SirHedge » Wed Jun 30 2010 3:56am

Flaming Manakin @ Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:12 am) wrote:I've played a handful of the current hacks, but I've not seen any changes in monster locations or types on monsters in battles. Is this right? I'd have imagined that would have been a quite cool but easy way of spicing up the game.

You should check out the hack library. There's at least one example of enemies being moved around battles.

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/i ... t&p=360246

Drakonis @ Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 am) wrote:Hedges' SFII Remake Hack
Even though unfinished, this hack redesigns the battles and rebalances them vastly. This is the first hack I know of which replaces some of the enemies with ones who usually appear later in the game.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby BigNailCow » Wed Jun 30 2010 7:41am

I've got a few unfinished hacks that use that. I might have changed a few things in my original hardtype hack, can't remember.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ose » Fri Jul 02 2010 11:21am

There doesn’t appear to be any one place where editing information is posted, so I’ll post here (let me know if this should be moved).

My newest snag is the apparent inability to add members to the force.

I am attempting to build a small level, that would consist of a brief town/story section followed by a battle.

The conflict is that I would like to use the space king editor to drop equipment into peoples inventories. which seems to only work for level one characters. I would also prefer characters with stats that begin with exactly the numbers I input, which I believe rules out a late game save state option.

I had an idea that I may be able to edit the maps where a few areas where characters join are linked in rapid succession.

I have also run into various minor problems with the caravan editor.

So my real question is where/who should I turn to for specific answers regarding the editors? I don’t think bogging down the forums with every minor question I have is a good idea. If someone is willing to put up with my stupid questions I’d be happy to lend my time to help with someone else’s project in return (like doing any of the none code related tedious stuff). I currently have lots of free time.
There is no such thing as magic.
Ose

Postby Stordarth » Fri Jul 02 2010 12:35pm

Ose @ Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:21 am) wrote: There doesn?t appear to be any one place where editing information is posted, so I?ll post here (let me know if this should be moved).

My newest snag is the apparent inability to add members to the force.

I am attempting to build a small level, that would consist of a brief town/story section followed by a battle.

The conflict is that I would like to use the space king editor to drop equipment into peoples inventories. which seems to only work for level one characters. I would also prefer characters with stats that begin with exactly the numbers I input, which I believe rules out a late game save state option.

I had an idea that I may be able to edit the maps where a few areas where characters join are linked in rapid succession.

I have also run into various minor problems with the caravan editor.

So my real question is where/who should I turn to for specific answers regarding the editors? I don?t think bogging down the forums with every minor question I have is a good idea. If someone is willing to put up with my stupid questions I?d be happy to lend my time to help with someone else?s project in return (like doing any of the none code related tedious stuff). I currently have lots of free time.

When you say add members to the force, do you mean addin members beyond the 12 normally available?

The town/story section doesnt have quite the freedom to edit fully yet. If you're building a single battle, i would suggest using a battle that you know occurs in a town, and that you know possesses its own cutscene right before the battle, and edit the text. It's clunky i know, but its all we can do for now.

When you say drop items into character's inventories with the editor, I'm assuming you mean set their items up so they come with them by default. This works for characters of any level. One the Character Start Data, you can set all 4 starting items, and also the character's starting level and class. To have the characters start with the required stats you enter isn't possible in the straight forward sense, but you can get a rough idea by using a little bit of thought:

You have no doubt seen the starting and projected stat entries on the character stats screen. the starting stats are stats given at level 1, and the projected stats are what the stats will become at level 30. Next you have your growth rates. As i recall from discussions with BNC and spaceking on the subject, the growth rates split the level curve into 3 segments, each being 10 levels.

Lets use an easy curve as an example for what I mean:

lets say you have 11 hp at level 1, and 40 hp at level 30 (base and projected stats). Subtract the 10 from the 40, and this gives you the total HP gain over the 29 level ups you will acquire. Linear curve gives 33% of that value in each segment, so each level up will be 1 hp. from brief test i did a while ago, the early curve gives between 45 and 50% of the total stat difference in the first 10 levels. I'm unsure if the second and third segments have identical percentages, or if the second has a higher one. I'm guessing the latter, as its a curve. this would put the middle bit at between 30 and 35%, and the last curve at about 20%. (these are rough guesses, but should give a rough guide)

Late is the opposite of early.

Early + late gives the first and third segments about 40% weight, and the middle section about 20%.

so so lets say we set an early curve on our above example, and set the starting level to 15.

the first segment gives about 50%, as stated, and 50% gives about 14-15 HP in the first 10 levels, making us on about 24-25 hp. the next 5 levels give about 30%, which is between 8 and 9. This means one or two levels probably wont give hp. given the curve, these are more likely to occur in the later teens, but lets assume we have a level that doesnt give us one. we gain 4 hp in the 5 levels of that curve. Add them on, and we're on 28-29 hp at level 15.

Like I said, this is a rough guideline so that you can estimate your stats at a given level based on your chosen curve.

Not sure what you mean with characters linking and joining in rapid succession.

For more detailed help, if the help given with the programs hasn't answered the question, pose them to the forums first. Some of us have had extensive use of both editors, and can probably answer alot of your queries. When we can't, ask BigNailCow (BNC) for the caravan, and Space King for the sf2 editor.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby BigNailCow » Fri Jul 02 2010 2:17pm

Posting questions here is fine.

I think Ose means he can't control when characters get added to the force (like SARAH and CHESTER do in the school at the beginning). This is correct, as these actions are part of the map's scripting and aren't yet editable. You'll currently need to do some ASM hacking to accomplish that.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ose » Fri Jul 02 2010 11:16pm

I have managed to control when characters get added to the force by adding warps into the maps that take me directly to areas where I can recruit new characters.

Now if only I can get this to work without messing up the graphics...

As for character stats I already have a fairly good sense of how the growth rates work, but thanks for the brief recap.

If all else fails I think I’ll just have everyone join at the level cap, and then promote them. In a longer game format I wouldn’t be so picky about the stats being exact, but since I’m only doing one battle I want the balance to be perfect.

Thanks for all the support and info!
Ose

Postby Vegeta9001 » Wed Jan 12 2011 6:55am

Wow this is awesome. ^^

I can change the sprites which i did now the Hero look like Link. ^^

I can also change the battle to make them harder do everything is nice.

I only got few problem so far.

1: Can i change the heroes/monster names, stats. level?

2: Changing the dialogues, there is no search option to find the dialogues I want to edit?

It's extremely hard and long to find a dialogue in like 68 box of dialogue. :shock:

I'm trying to find the dialogues of Slade i the opening scene and when the old witch talk to you.

Also the dialogues in the begining in the town and so on.

I tried to find them, but it seem to be impossible.

Maybe this options not done yet all the dialogues of the game are in these 68 box?
Vegeta9001

Postby SirHedge » Thu Jan 13 2011 2:20am

The dialogue editor is very basic right now, so yes, you do need to just search through and try to find what you're looking for. Furthermore, some text you type won't show up correctly for known reasons (if you're curious you can probably find that information somewhere in this forum).

To edit stats, names, and levels you need to use SF2Edit.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Vegeta9001 » Thu Jan 13 2011 2:47am

Thanks i guess i just have to search which is going to be extremely long, but oh well...

So far i did a good job with the character/monster sprites i changed most of them.

But now i'm to Zeon and there a way to change Zeon sprites on the map?

I wanted to make him look different i was able to change his battle sprites and his Portraits i worked over 2 hours on them and then i just saw that i cannot change his sprites on the map.

So i tested it out he does look like i wanted only his sprites is still the same it's kind of destroying the whole thing. XD

Any idea how to change his sprites on the map?
Vegeta9001

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II