Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition

For custom teams and solos

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition

Postby SaCred » Tue Feb 11 2014 4:09am

oh yeah i forgot @_@
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby RastaOddeye » Tue Feb 11 2014 9:08pm

Attempting a run through with Kiwi, Peter, Zynk and Claude. Call it Shining Force's answer to the X-Men.
I'm arrogant, and proud of it.
RastaOddeye

Zeons Third General
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Tue Feb 11 2014 10:39pm

4 melee attack users huh :) How to Egress? You put all of them with an Angel wing?
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kilroy » Tue Feb 11 2014 10:58pm

I don't remember if the Quick ring casts Egress. I may have added that in one of my playthroughs that was similar to Rasta Oddeye's. Mine was Gerhalt, Zynk, and Claude.
Qu'est-ce que sup, homies?
Qu'est-ce que sup, homies?
Kilroy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Feb 11 2014 11:33pm

It does in SF1, not sure about the SF2 mods....
Last edited by SaCred on Wed Feb 12 2014 4:02am, edited 1 time in total.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Wed Feb 12 2014 3:49am

I'm fairly certain the Running Ring casts Egress while the Quick Ring does nothing in SF2.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby SaCred » Wed Feb 12 2014 4:03am

SirHedge wrote:I'm fairly certain the Running Ring casts Egress while the Quick Ring does nothing in SF2.

Running ring? lol
From all the mods i played including the vanilla version, the Running ring does nothing apart from give +2 MOV :)
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Wed Feb 12 2014 4:31am

Yeah, neither the quick nor running ring casts egress.

You don't need egress. Play til you drop, then revive and come back.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby SaCred » Thu Feb 13 2014 12:29am

Maybe he needs the monies :)
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Thu Feb 13 2014 9:28pm

SaCred wrote:Maybe he needs the monies :)

For what? He doesnt need to buy equipment. The occasional healing item and thats it. He should have plenty of money for that even if he game overs.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Fri Feb 14 2014 12:43am

lol Ah yes hes using melee units :)
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Fri Feb 14 2014 5:42am

Stordarth wrote:Yeah, neither the quick nor running ring casts egress.

You don't need egress. Play til you drop, then revive and come back.

So I so seriously thought you guys were wrong I went to Moogie's guide to see if the Running Ring has Egress listed there. It did not. Not dismayed I booted up a clean rom and checked the running ring. No Egress. Not giving up, I checked my original cartridge on the Sega Genesis. Maybe, I thought, there were different SF2 versions. No Egress. I still didn't give up and checked the first SF2 rom I had, which was listed as slightly edited. I was told it was just the header and the game itself was identical, but maybe that's where my Egress myth originated. No dice. I'm running out of options, but I'm still not giving up. I checked SF2 Edit. Maybe it was a mistake in how that was coded. But I'm still wrong. Was it a problem with an older version of SF2 Edit? Perhaps. But the oldest version I have (1.4) did not list Egress.

Low on options I got desperate. Years ago I compiled my own spreadsheets of SF2 data. Maybe I made the mistake there? Nope. I didn't even list the item back then. I'm down to my final chance. I loaded up the beta version of SF2 to check if perhaps once upon a time the Running Ring cast Egress. Sadly all of my saves wouldn't work in the beta, so I compromised by just loading it in SF2 Edit. No Egress. And while maybe, just maybe, there's an error in conversion there, at this point it's not worth me playing half way through the game to find out.

What was so perplexing is that I so distinctively remember long ago discovering it's Egress casting ability. That is, prior to what is appearing as a false memory, I figured the Running Ring did nothing. But then suddenly I discovered otherwise, and forever after remembered that discovery. Has my whole life been a lie?

I checked every item in SF2. Nothing but the Angel Wing casts Egress. I decided to check out some of the oldest community hacks (like Obob's Challenge Hack) to see if maybe they had Egress. It's a long shot since my memory of the memory is that it was much longer ago, but I figured why not? Again I come up empty handed.

Then I had one more idea. What about Shining Force 1? I loaded up the editor and checked the Running Ring. I mean the Mobility Ring. Nothing. Speed Ring?

Bingo. So I guess I was just confusing SF2 and SF1. So glad I'm apparently not going insane and confusing fantasy with reality or some nonsense like that. Given that I first played SF2, seeing the Quick/Speed Ring do something in SF1 was probably doubly surprising, which is why the memory stuck with me so strongly.

Interestingly enough, my own hack has the Running Ring cast Egress, which may have contributed to the confusion. Originally it was probably just done as a SF1 throwback, but years later it probably assisted with the confusion.

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight guys!
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby SaCred » Fri Feb 14 2014 6:59pm

lol told you SF1 Quick ring casted Egress and not SF2 :)
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby RastaOddeye » Sat Feb 15 2014 3:51am

SaCred wrote:4 melee attack users huh :) How to Egress? You put all of them with an Angel wing?

Who needs Egress when you have brute force?
RastaOddeye

Zeons Third General
Shining Legend

Postby ehow22 » Sat Feb 15 2014 3:57am

WARNING: SPOILER!

Considering the frantic checking and this Wall of Text....I think it's safe to say that you've already gone insane. :lol:
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Sat Feb 15 2014 12:33pm

ahaa just like in the movie The Number 23 starring Jim Carrey.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Sat Feb 15 2014 6:45pm

ehow22 wrote:Considering the frantic checking and this Wall of Text....I think it's safe to say that you've already gone insane. :lol:

:excited:
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby SaCred » Sat Feb 15 2014 6:53pm

By the way, whats difference between this version and Milestone Edition 12 man marathon?
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby RastaOddeye » Sun Feb 16 2014 1:59am

In the 12 Man Marathon version, you can choose 1 - 12 people right from the start.
RastaOddeye

Zeons Third General
Shining Legend

Postby ehow22 » Sun Feb 16 2014 2:11am

The difference is that there's more enemies early on to balance out having a full team and almost all the battle setups are changed(exceptions being Chess and Kraken) in the Marathon hack.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II