Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Tactics

It's been a lot of work.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Shining Tactics

Postby Dark Claw » Tue Sep 28 2010 6:12am

This is my hack: Shining Tactics

Here is a link to a playthrough of this hack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUqBUg_78YY&playnext=1&list=PLE7391D4B721F3253

This hack is the result of months of hard work. When it comes to changes I really don't know where to start. This started out as a hack where I wanted to add a new class (the SAGE class as you all remember from my previous hack), but it slowly grew into far more than that.

I could sit here and list out every minute change, but I think it would be far more prudent if I just listed the general changes I made and encouraged you all to try it for yourselves.

Let me get the first issue out of the way there are three glitches that must be known:

1. Do NOT enter the Tactical Base in New Granseal ever. The screen goes black and nothing happens. Yes, that means no Warrior's Pride for Jaha.

2. Once you return to Granseal (after the Nazca ship) for some reason the status screen kind of messes up. It's easily remedied by saving and reloading your game via SRAM. Even the glitch is minor and you can play through it with no real issue. Also it's only the first half of the return to Granseal that it effects.

3. I hate to spoil this, but in certain end game battle enemies will be spawning en mass. The trouble is in one particular battle the enemies spawn, but you cannot see them. I mean you can highlight the space they appeared in and it will tell you their stats, but you cannot visibly see them on screen. This is easily remedied by performing any action (casting spell, attacking said enemies, healing)

Alright now to the fun stuff:

>Accessories have been implemented in game. Armor, Rings, Shields, and Robes are sold by shops throughout the game. The new items offer more diversity into the characters.

>SAGE class replace the SORC class. SAGES get unique weapons that are unique only to them.

>Pre-Promoted characters stop gaining levels once they hit 20 so there is not power leveling to 30 or 40.

>90% of the spells have been altered to be much more effective and even more powerful.

>Character stats have been altered they are all roughly equal and more powerful then they would be in their original incarnations.

>MMNK's will only learn the level 4 version of their offensive spell. For instance a level 99 MMNK Sarah will know: Heal 3, Aura 3, Detox 3, and Blast 4. Where as a level 99 VICR Sarah will know: Heal 4, Aura 4, Detox 4, and Blast 4.

>Bird Battlers can now equip all of Slade's unique mithril weaponry giving Bird Battlers the largest Sword pool to pick from.

>Paladin's learn spells

>Of course with stronger character come much more powerful enemies. Mind you this is not a difficulty patch, but a game on normal here is probably at least on par with Super in the regular game.

All of Creed's Characters come promoted to their alternative class (IE Randolf is a BRN, Karna is a MMNK)

>All the promotion items have been converted to items that may be bought and used later on in the game. Though the items as they are can be used for alternative promotions. For the Archers it isn't problem because in this hack all the archers come promoted. For Jaha... well there is no Warrior Pride for him. He cannot legitimately be promoted to a Baron unless you keep in unpromoted by the time you back to Granseal. If you want a BRN early on then pick Randolf at Creeds. For Chester and Rick it's the same thing really though Eric comes as a PGNT so if you want one early pick him. For Kazin and Sarah their items haven't moved Kazin makes an interesting Sage (though if you do this Chaz will be your only WZRD) and Sarah makes a balanced MMNK, but I don't recommend making her a Monk she is far better as a Cleric and if you do this Frajya will be your only Cleric. Also keep in mind your characters will be gaining levels pretty fast too compared to the normal game so they are probably gonna hit 20 before Taros so if you want to alternatively promote Sarah or Kazin they may lag behind.

>Near the end of the game when you return to Granseal all the items in the Dojo, the Dwarven Village, and Yeel have been rearranged. I did not arbitrarily place them in random spots just check every pot and barrel and you'll find them. However, the items in question have changed and are now new end game equipment for your characters. Which leads me too...

>All the mithril equipment is awesome now. It's diverse powerful, and well maybe a little over powered in some cases. Also all the Evil weapons have been altered to not be cursed, and most cases be the ultimate equipment for that subset. (IE the Sword of Darkness is now the Ragnarok and is tied with the Chaos Breaker as the best sword in the game)

Character Spell Changes:

Sarah VICR
Heal 1-4
Detox 1-4
Blast 1-4
Aura 1-4

Sarah MMNK
Heal 1-3
Detox 1-3
Blast 1-4
Aura 1-3

Chester
Heal 1-4

Jaha
Sleep 1

Kazin WZRD
Blaze 1-4
Freeze 1-4
Muddle 1-2
Dao 1-2

Kazin SAGE
Dao 1-2
Raijen 1-3
Attack 1
Desoul 1-2

Slade
Sleep 1
Katon 1-3
Raijen 1-3
Dispel 1

Peter
Katon 1-3

Luke
Blast 1-4

Rick PLDN
Attack 1

Karna MMNK
Heal 1-3
Freeze 1-4
Boost 1
Slow 1

Tyrin SAGE
Apollo 1-2
Katon 1-3
Demon Breath 1-2

Randolf
Dispel 1

Higins PLDN
Freeze 1-4

Taya
Freeze 1-4
Demon Breath 1-2
Atlas 1-2

Skreech
Blast 1-4

Gyan
Slow 1-2

Sheela
Heal 1-3
Attack
Blaze 1-4
Detox 1-3

Chaz
Neptune 1-2
Blast 1-4
Freeze 1-4
Muddle 1-2

Lemon
Desoul 1-2

Item Name Changes

Fairy Powder-> Mage's Cloak
Shining Ball-> Wind Ring
Blizzard-> Holy Ring
Holy Thunder-> Phoenix Fury
Power Ring-> Iron Shield
Protect Ring-> Fire Ring
Quick Ring-> Iron Armor
Running Ring-> Power Suit
White Ring-> Full Moon
Black Ring-> Ice Ring
Evil Ring-> Chaos Ring
Misty Knuckles-> God's Hand
Giant Knuckles-> Fiery Fist
Evil Knuckles-> Gentle Soul
Short Axe-> Cotton Robe
Hand Axe-> Small Shield
Middle Axe-> Iron Ring
Power Axe-> Death Penalty
Heat Axe-> Thunder Storm
Atlas Axe-> Heavy Armor
Ground Axe-> Axe of Olympus
Rune Axe-> Pegasus Boots
Evil Axe-> Warrior's Passion
Nazca Cannon-> Green Beret
Buster Shot-> Burst Shot
Hyper Cannon-> Gauntlet
Grand Cannon-> Mega Buster
Evil Shot-> Dead Shot
Critical Sword-> Ninja Suit
Battle Sword-> Durandal
Force Sword-> Chaos Breaker
Counter Sword-> Grand Armor
Levanter-> Levanter (Has been altered)
Dark Sword-> Ragnarok
Valkyrie-> Aegis Shield
Holy Lance-> Ancile Shield
Mist Javelin-> Maelstrom
Halberd-> Luin
Evil Lance-> Knight's Honor
Short Rod-> Silk Robe
Bronze Rod-> Sleep Rod
Iron Rod-> (Enhanced)Quick Ring
Flail-> Silver Ring
Indra Staff-> (Enhanced) Protect Ring
Mage Staff-> Flame Rod
Wish Staff-> Ice Staff
Great Rod-> Speed Mantle
Supply Staff-> Angel's Rod
Holy Staff-> Safety Staff
Freeze Staff-> Abraxas
Goddess Staff-> Nirvana
Mystery Staff-> Dark Matter
Demon Rod-> Mage's Power
Iron Ball-> (Enhanced) Running Ring
Katana-> Murasame
Ninja Katana-> Thief's Cloak
Gisarme-> Masamune
Taros Sword-> (Enhanced) Power Ring
Pegasus Wing-> Paladin's Shield
Warrior Pride-> Windy Assault
Silver Tank-> Vampire Blood
Secret Book-> Icy Magic
Vigor Ball-> Fiery Orb
Chirrup Sandals-> Leather Armor

Anyway I don't feel like elaborating too much more than that. It would honestly be too much to right in one night. Without tooting my own horn too much I must say this is a master piece and thus I must thank my beta testers:

Beta Testers:
nateburke
Hungry
uglyboy8
aldur
osnappar
Guntzlegend42
Siel
T300
Shining Sol

Credit also goes to SonGosun for his May sprite.

All credit goes to Stordarth for the Higins sprite he worked very hard on it and deserves all the credit.

Anyway without further adieu please dl my hack and give me the feedback I crave. Goodnight.

Also as they say a picture is worth a thousand words so here are some pics:

Last edited by Dark Claw on Fri Mar 11 2011 2:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Shining Tactics

Check it out you won't be disappointed.

:mwahaha:
Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Tactics

Postby Kcid » Tue Sep 28 2010 7:45am

Sounds interesting. I'll give this a run when I get some free time.
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
"And if you tell anyone, nobody will find you ever again."
http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/siginclude/959.png
Kcid

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Hungry » Tue Sep 28 2010 11:00pm

I'm unable to download it. :/
hana_dragon @ Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:13 pm wrote:Meh, like the Hungry said "It's all good  :) "
hana_dragon @ Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:13 pm wrote:Meh, like the Hungry said "It's all good  :) "
Hungry

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dark Claw » Wed Sep 29 2010 1:16am

Don't really know what to tell ya... if you shoot me an email at alexbharmon@gmail.com I can email it to you.
Shining Tactics

Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Sockopuppto » Thu Sep 30 2010 1:33am

Heh, I'm actually still playing your other hack at the moment. Up to the battle where you get Jaro. Overall I think it's a pretty fun hack. There are some balance issues (Sages mostly lol) but it's a nice new spin on things. Though it does seem a bit easy to me after playing Obob's hack extensively, with the exception of the harpy pool battle, which required copious amounts of healing items to get through.

I'll be checking this out soon!
Sockopuppto

Postby Osnappar » Thu Sep 30 2010 10:48am

Congrats on getting this out, Dark Claw. Anyone looking for a fresh take on SF2 should really give this hack a shot. As Socko pointed out, it's not a challenge hack like Obob's but it is a lot of fun with new ideas. This version is a lot more balanced then Dark Claw's original New Adventure hack (SAGE class especially is no longer overpowered), although it may be a bit easier with no odd difficulty spikes like the Harpy battle.

The greater demon battles are a lot of fun. Give Zalbard my regards.

Did any beta testers try a super run? Was thinking of trying the finished version on super for a nice challenge and wanted to see how it was. Seems like it would still be pretty balanced with the changes to staff attack values.
Osnappar

Postby Dark Claw » Thu Sep 30 2010 3:08pm

The only time this game gets really hard would be the last couple of battles. However, by that time you also have all the best equipment in the game (Durandal, Ragnarok, Axe of Olympus, Maelstrom, Dark Matter, God's Hand, Mega Buster, and the four ultimate rings for the weaponless classes and the MMNKs.) So it kind of works out. Zeon and the secret battle are still kind of a bitch though.

Also if you have already downloaded this you may want to re download it because I just uploaded a patch where I fixed a minor error (Ice Ring casted Freeze 4 instead of Freeze 3) So if you got a minute download the new patch and use it. In case you are curious you can use your same save states and sram files with then new patch.
Shining Tactics

Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SirHedge » Fri Oct 01 2010 4:21am

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I noticed in the 3rd battle (ya, I'm only at the 3rd) that some of the grass squares still only have a L.E. of 0% rather than the expected 15%. I'm not sure if you meant that to happen or not, and wonder if it was repeated elsewhere.

Otherwise I love the idea of making armor. I always felt Shining Force needed an armor equipment slot.

EDIT: Changed the wording above to make it clear that this problem could have been replicated elsewhere in the game and may or may not be restricted to the 3rd battle (in contrast to the former wording which indicated it only effected the 3rd battle).
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dark Claw » Fri Oct 01 2010 4:45am

I have no idea how that could have happened and I in no way altered that battle, or the map.
Shining Tactics

Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Sat Oct 02 2010 3:38pm

Is it really intended that the monsters' levels are all raised by 20? I've just completed the chess battle and Bowie's already at level 20/14 with only 26 kills. He has 65 defense, so he's taking only 1 damage from non-magic attacks.
SF1CL v2.1.1
SF2CA v1.1.0
SF1CL v2.1.1
SF2CA v1.1.0
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Osnappar » Sat Oct 02 2010 7:43pm

That doesn't sound right... My force were averaging level 4 or so at that point in the beta.

Regarding super, I can't even imagine doing the last 2 battles with the increased attack. Even as it is, tank Bowie got one shot by a double attack from Zeon. I remember I was doing really well until that point too...

I think the rest of the game might be doable with a tank team (Hello Jaha, Randolf, Gyan).
Osnappar

Postby Dark Claw » Sun Oct 03 2010 11:06pm

/facepalm

I am so embarrassed that this happened that change was left over from old experiment I was trying between the beta and this version. Anyway I uploaded the correct version with enemy levels being normal.
Shining Tactics

Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Flaming Manakin » Mon Oct 04 2010 12:40pm

So just to confirm, would playing on Super be mad? Or is it just about possible? I like the idea of a challenge!
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dark Claw » Mon Oct 04 2010 1:06pm

For about 90% of the game it would be pretty hard. However the last several battles would be near impossible.

Also this got me thinking and I think I am going to play through the game on Super and document each battle.

Battle 1
Shining Tactics

Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Flaming Manakin » Tue Oct 05 2010 3:26pm

I'm going to try it!!!!
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kev » Tue Oct 05 2010 5:10pm

I'm up to the first North Cliff battle (after you leave Grans) playing on Super. Been quite challenging at points, had 4 Bowie deaths (nearly ran out of money at the start). My motivation to play these hacks has ran out quite a lot now that i'm back to Uni though, so I might be a while trying to play through... Fun hack though :)
Kev

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Helldhaz » Wed Oct 06 2010 1:54am

I've been playing through the "wrong" version with the boosted monster levels and it's been really enjoyable, even if there's absolutely no chance of me beating Zeon without grinding out even more levels.

One thing though, are the chests in the Dwarven village and Yeel at the end of the game meant to be already opened? Doesn't look right to me.
HD
HD
Helldhaz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Dark Claw » Wed Oct 06 2010 2:12am

Yes they are meant to be already opened you have to look for the items in Yeel, the Dojo, and the Dwarven Village.

Also Battle 2.

I plan on doing one battle a day until I am done with the game.

Update: Battle 3

Update2: Battle 4

Update3: Battle 5
Shining Tactics

Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Guntzlegend42 » Sun Oct 17 2010 6:08am

Nice job! But, couldn't you have put the baron upgrade somewhere else? Don't the HQ and castle share the same map in Caravan? Although that might cause other problems... But, this is good! I enjoy this very much! :) :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup:
Prepare to meet your worst nightmare!!!
... Jogurt?!?!?!?!?!
Prepare to meet your worst nightmare!!!
... Jogurt?!?!?!?!?!
Guntzlegend42

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dark Claw » Sun Oct 17 2010 9:23pm

They do the share the same map in the caravan and I have no idea why the HQ is inaccessible. The reason I didn't move the Warrior's Pride somewhere else is because then if you want a Baron early on the game you have to pick Randolf which adds incentive to pick him (or Eric for the same reason) over Karna or Tyrin which people are much more likely to pick.

And quite frankly if someone out there really wants Jaha the Baron then they are just going to edit a Warrior's Pride in for him.
Shining Tactics

Shining Tactics

Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Next

Return to Shining Force II