Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Postby star_phoenix » Sat Jan 07 2012 3:44am

I finally beat this and it was challenging. Very refreshing from the "normal" SF2 gamplay I'm used to. So not to spoil it for other people who haven't had the chance (and shame on them if they don't) to play:

WARNING: SPOILER!

And that's my 2 cents. I want to try it again on super or go through and play with a party with just the MMNK's. But I had a lot of fun playing this- excellent job!
star_phoenix

Postby greyskies » Sat Jan 07 2012 2:56pm

Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sat Jan 07 2012 4:11pm

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby sonicx5040 » Wed Feb 15 2012 4:45pm

how do i down load this thing im so confuzzled :confused: and another thing can you make chests searchable during battles PLEASE :) ;)
sonicx5040

Postby Stordarth » Wed Feb 15 2012 5:22pm

There's a download link in my original post in this thread. Instructions for using it are also in that post.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby ehow22 » Sun Feb 19 2012 9:16pm

Stordarth wrote:My third hack (not yet started, before you get your hopes up) will probably be a complete rebalance hack of some kind, built off of this one. I wanna get my hands dirty with the growth curves and mix it up. Just... not quite yet. Resting first. :) :sleep:

Ever gonna do this, stor?
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Sun Feb 19 2012 10:53pm

I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not in hacking mode right now.

I might wait and see what ronnen cooks up with his editor ideas. Something new to play with might rekindle the fun, so to speak.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Perpoose » Sun Feb 26 2012 4:51pm

I'm new to the modified games and really want to try one out...which should I try out, the milestone, or this 12-man edition? I assume they are different and that this one improves on the original milestone?

Gonna go try to patch the files...

Edit: I seem to have patched the file, but I can't play it on my Jenesis emulator (for NintendoDS)...it seems like the patch has doubled the size of the rom (from 2mb to 4mb) making it too big to play on Jenesis (which I think can only support up to 3mb files).
Perpoose

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sun Feb 26 2012 6:17pm

Get Gens+ or Kega Fusion. They can handle the 4mb rom.

It's not the 12 Man is an improvement on Milestone: They're intended for different purposes.

The Milestone is intended primarily for solo play, or maybe small, specific squads (Such as all 5 knights, for example). Most of the game is unchanged.

The 12 Man is intended for a full force of 12 from the beginning. Almost all battles are extended, and in some cases, vastly different from the default game to accomodate the larger team size/my evil evil tendencies of nastiness. :evilgrin:

So yeah. Depends on what you're after.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Perpoose » Sun Feb 26 2012 6:35pm

Thanks, Stordarth...I'm trying the 12-man one now, and it looks amazing. I wish I could play it on my DS, but it seems like the patched files are too big...so I'm using Gens on my PC.

One thing I never liked about SF2 was how long they make you wait to get another healer. I can finally try my dream team and play them from the start. Also looking forward to Frayja not looking like a fat bride as a vicar and maybe trying out Taya as a wizard. I like what you've done with all the sprites that never existed before (ex. Sheela unpromoted)

I also like that the roaming was taken out...don't get me wrong, I love that aspect of the Force games, but after playing SF2 so many times, I really don't care to sit through the storyline.

Sidenote: when I was a little kid playing the Force games, I always used to invent my own characters, spells, etc. I invented a whole new Force, including things like a flying healer, a long-ranged attacker that didn't use weapons, etc. If only I knew all that computer jargon to create my own mod!
Perpoose

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sun Feb 26 2012 6:43pm

Might be an emulator issue. i can play them just fine on Picodrive for the PSP. /shrug

The new sprites were part of the fun in making it. Some of my favourite sprites are MMNK Frayja, SORC Chaz, and SNIP Rhode.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Perpoose » Sun Feb 26 2012 7:58pm

Is there a list of all the characters and their classes? I saw the Milestone Edition changes, but just wanted to make sure May didn't have a new promotion class. It would be cool to change her into a pegasus! I'm going to try a team of all characters that have been modified or can now be played unpromoted (ex. Lemon as a gladiator, Higins as a pegasus, Taya as a Wizard, Claude, etc).
Perpoose

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sun Feb 26 2012 8:15pm

That was one of my first playthroughs after finishing it. I call it the Paradox Force. Here's the roster to save you some time:

Rohde (SNIP)
Higins (PGNT)
Skreech
Taya (WIZ)
Jaro (PLDN)
Frayja (MMNK)
Gyan (BRN)
Sheela (VICR)
Claude
Chaz (SORC)
Zynk
Lemon (GLDT)

May does not have a special promotion. No new classes were added besides Zynk and Claude's unpromoted classes.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Kaelin » Fri Mar 02 2012 9:57am

I finished a playthrough of this mod a while ago with a 10-man squad (I had started with 12-13 characters in mind, but the other 2-3 fell behind enough that they weren't worth the hassle, and I couldn't be bothered to work on new chars).

Sarah (MMNK)
Peter
May
Gerhalt
Rick (PGNT)
Karna (MMNK)
Randolf (BRN)
Tyrin (WZRD)
Janet (SNPR)
Taya (SRCR)

The most enjoyable aspects of the mod are (1) not having to save scum / hack / save edit to get the Mithril items I want, (2) getting to put all my characters through the same promotion process, (3) not worrying about missing items throughout the game [which I suppose includes items not available in the US version], (4) getting to have all my characters from the beginning, and (5) not having to use Bowie [and having to use a specific weapon for a certain boss]. Having the early stages include a fair share of enemies is a good touch, although the enemy load was a little more than I bargained for at times -- although promoting at L30 made things more casual after I got that far along (though naturally things picked up a little towards the end).

Janet still came off as a little weak, although that matter settled down a bit when monster Defense growth began to slow down. I had trouble making good use of Bowie and Slade, but this may be due to them being casters -- it may help if were to learn their spells earlier, even though it would probably require weakening the lower-level versions. Kiwi, well, feel just a little too far behind on offense to keep up. These are just my personal feelings on these characters, but I did end up booting all but Janet out (and it was a close call with her). Granted, issues with Kiwi and Janet were in the game from the beginning, and these are hardly the only characters in that situation. It's probably also the sort of thing where it may be valuble to retool the whole game so that monsters rely more on HP instead of Defense (allowing lower-level characters to do more than just scratch enemies with their weapons), but that would require a massive effort (doing it in such a way that produces good balance, adjusting spell power to keep up with the increased monster HP, probably doing the same sort of thing for monsters attacking players, etc).

Overall, it was a lot of fun. I will give the regular Milestone version a run just to experience good things with a smaller group.
Kaelin

Postby BirthBySleep » Thu Jun 13 2013 11:42am

Great hack!
There is a one mistake. Classes Cyborg and Mud Man (Zynk and Claude after promotion) can't equip all rings.
Please fix it :)
BirthBySleep

Postby Mormegil » Sat Jun 15 2013 5:07pm

i have been reading around this topic and i heard there is a new editor in the making, is it true ?
if so which topic ?
Mormegil

Postby DeFimb » Sun Jun 30 2013 8:30am

hello why when i chose all my characters and it says:
Bowie, are you ready? i say yes but then nex questin comes:

What? Do you wanna die? i click no and in transfers me back to priest >_>
so i cant start game :x( hwen i click yes it transfers me to last battle..i mean with ALL bosses)

ROFL. You're supposed to say "Yes" when the witch asks if you want to die, duh..
Play on words.

Anyway, I thought this hack was so great I had to sign up for the forums just to talk about it. It's the first hack i've even seen since playing this game back on the real genesis. Great work!
Current team consists of

Slade
Peter
Rick PGKNT
Jaro PGKNT
Karna MMNK
Sheela MMNK
Chaz SORC
Tyrin WIZ
Claude
Zink
Lemon BRN
Rhode SNPR

I would seriously like to put May in as a PGSNPR with 2 protect milks and protect ring. I've played up to the return to Grans (post Nazca) but I'm still missing the Hyper Shot! ( I don't remember how good this weapon really was, but if not for pure aesthetics..)
Great work overall, I'm excited to see the final epic battles revamped with uber monsters. Thanks! :mwahaha: :cookie:
DeFimb

Postby SaCred » Tue Jun 24 2014 12:24am

Hardest difficulty is Super right? While the improved AI of enemies is on Ouch just like on vanilla?
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby RastaOddeye » Fri Jul 25 2014 4:05pm

Well I've just started a duo run with Elric and Janet. This is proving difficult.
I'm arrogant, and proud of it.
I'm arrogant, and proud of it.
RastaOddeye

Zeons Third General
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Sat Jul 26 2014 12:27am

I did it with Bowie, Claude, Zynk, and Karna :D A little abuse but not much.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II