Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Postby RastaOddeye » Thu Jul 31 2014 1:04am

Stor I forgot how 'evil' you got with the battles mid game. Just about to venture into your favorite battle. Elric and Janet are not the most balanced of duos.
I'm arrogant, and proud of it.
I'm arrogant, and proud of it.
RastaOddeye

Zeons Third General
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Thu Jul 31 2014 1:46am

Only using 2 and no healers?
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jul 31 2014 2:36am

RastaOddeye wrote:Stor I forgot how 'evil' you got with the battles mid game. Just about to venture into your favorite battle. Elric and Janet are not the most balanced of duos.

:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Simpelicity » Fri Dec 12 2014 7:00am

So I was trying to start a Let's play of this (a mostly blind one for those interested :P) And I ran into some issues. The first one I think I know the answer, but just to be sure, save states are not compatible with this hack, correct? Because then when a battle ends it just goes back to story mode (or tries to). If not then what does that again? I remember having the issue a while ago, don't remember the problem, if that's not it.

Second question, is there a way to rename all the characters? I tried holding down Start when I press A on END, and it didn't work. SFEdit crashed when I tried to edit the save state (but then again, I think save states don't work to begin with, right?)
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby SirHedge » Sat Dec 13 2014 6:31am

I could be wrong about this, but I seem to remember that you can only use save states and that using the normal save function would screw things up. Have you done a normal save yet?
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Sat Dec 13 2014 6:15pm

Simpelicity wrote:So I was trying to start a Let's play of this (a mostly blind one for those interested :P) And I ran into some issues. The first one I think I know the answer, but just to be sure, save states are not compatible with this hack, correct? Because then when a battle ends it just goes back to story mode (or tries to). If not then what does that again? I remember having the issue a while ago, don't remember the problem, if that's not it.

Second question, is there a way to rename all the characters? I tried holding down Start when I press A on END, and it didn't work. SFEdit crashed when I tried to edit the save state (but then again, I think save states don't work to begin with, right?)

First issue: Save states are a requirement. Using the inbuilt save function breaks the ASM commandline and will mess up the game.

Second issue: You have to have completed the game for the A+Start trick to work. You can edit names, but if your editor is crashing, that means only one thing: your save states have been compressed by your emulator. You need to go into the emulator options and disable save state compression, reload and then resave the state, and the newly-saved state will (should) now work in the editor.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Simpelicity » Sat Dec 13 2014 9:03pm

Huh, now that I think about it, I think I did both normal and state saving. That run was doomed from the start! lol

Save states aren't getting compressed, it's been off since I've been part of team games. Maybe because I had normal saved before save stating?
I just retried it with a new game and it totally worked... so maybe. Or maybe having Bowie in the party this time did it? I dunno.

I guess I'll make a thread once this actually starts. Probably next weekend. Thx for the help :)
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Mupen64 Man » Sun Mar 15 2015 1:40am

I tested this hack on my Mega Drive Everdrive, and it worked just fine. Original hardware ftw! :D
You can find me at Emulator-Zone Forums as well.
Mupen64 Man

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Simpelicity » Sun Mar 15 2015 1:55am

just don't save
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Mupen64 Man » Sun Mar 15 2015 4:04am

I saved, and it reloads just fine! ;) Why should I not save?
Mupen64 Man

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sun Mar 15 2015 5:32pm

Saving it breaks the ASM hack. It's designed to load each battle concurrently and skip the story. Saving it ends the sequence and restarts the game from the default starting point. The hack was never intended to be played that way. Whilst it is potentially possible, it will be full of graphical oddities, and increased risk of game freezes.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Mupen64 Man » Sun Mar 15 2015 5:58pm

I completely forgot about that! Thanks for the info pal!
Mupen64 Man

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Wing Eye » Fri Apr 10 2015 12:54am

If you save in game and enable story mode you can only get as far as Howel's house, where you get stuck in a wall (just learned that the hard way)
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.drunkduck.com/phantasy_star_replay
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.drunkduck.com/phantasy_star_replay
Wing Eye

Postby cevcaf » Wed Jul 08 2015 2:07pm

Ahh I have also come across the explorer mode as I had saved and restarted to go into configuration mode. WHat I wanted to do was power level some level 1 toons to promotion level so I can selected control enemy 'Yes' to do it. once I had completed the battle as soon as I did this it went to explorer mode! luckily I have made a savestate a couple of battles before so its not so bad but my question is what will be the quickest and easiest way for me to level up some toons? Am I going to have to do it the normal way? thanks
cevcaf

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jul 09 2015 1:28am

The quickest way is to use a save state editor, and add a load of brave apples to your inventories. Using those will level people up. I figure you're already technically cheating by wanting to use Control Enemies, so I figured you'd be OK cutting out the middle-men.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby cevcaf » Thu Jul 09 2015 8:25am

Hey Stordarth,

yes im perfectly fine with cheating (or doing shortcuts). How do I do this? I downloaded the sf2 editor and I cant figure out how to do anything with my save states on there! Am I using the right hack?
cevcaf

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jul 09 2015 11:35am

It's not the sf2 editor you need. It's called SFEdit. Confusing, I know. A quick Google search should find it. I'm on my phone so I can't link to it directly for you.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Jonesy_Pants » Tue Sep 19 2017 5:20am

Firstly thanks so much for this.
As someone who played this a lot when it first came out and still has a running system and cart this is amazing on my phone!
Took a bit of fiddling but i got it working, i didnt see this version at first and was playing the first milestone edition. Have restarted with this and am absolutely loving it.
Have gone for a fairly cheesey team with all , bowie peter lemon eric jaro, slade plus the 4 healers - sheela, karna, frayja, sarah.
I am avoiding egressing as i am finding im able to juggle kills to get the exp and all the healing is really boosting my exp numbers.

A massive thankyou for this HACK!
Jonesy_Pants

Postby Stordarth » Fri Oct 20 2017 11:56pm

Hey, Jonesy.

Thanks a lot for commenting. It's nice to hear that even now people still enjoy it.

Also, apologies for taking a while to get you approved. My new job keeps me a fair bit busier than my old one, so I haven't had time to sift through the spamnet.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II