Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale - Version: 1.?

Customizing fun and new sights to behold.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale - Version: 1.?

Postby nightshade00123 » Sat Oct 29 2011 7:33pm

26/1/2016

Tweaked by Stordarth. Changes from the original:

Swaps Hori and Musashi for aesthetic reasons
Restores certain portraits and sprites from a previous version of the mod for aesthetic reasons
Swaps Waltz and Dawn's classes around (since their classes had been switched from their respective home games - Dawn is now a Paladin once more, and Waltz returns to being a Ranger)
Gives Geppel and Hindel the ability to use both swords and axes from the start, and gives them an extra move so they are more like SF2 barons rather than gimped gladiators.
Fixes a turn order bug in the final battle that could cause the game to simply lock up due to NPC units being present out of bounds and being confused for a party member.

Sir Hedge's Mirror
Stordarth's Mirror

Original and unmodified 1.0 version for posterity

----------

I started a new thread for this because eventually this one will actually contain the mod. I figured that you guys have probably played all the ones around here into the ground and might be looking for something else to hold you over until the next new thing comes along. I said earlier that I wasn't going to release one but I decided before I get to burnt out that about 2 years of putting things in this game would be an incredible waste of effort on my part to just let it go the way side.

And just so you know I am using the 12 man marathon as a base, with the almighty Stordarth's permission of course, so those of you familiar with that will know what to expect here. And on that note I would also like to say that this hack and my previous ones would 'not' have happened without spacekings editor and BNC's caravan and also tips and help from Stordarth so thanks go to them for giving me a very enjoyable pastime/hobby. And also thanks to Nineko and wiz for their contributions to hacking SF2 as well as the other modders, and not just one all of them, here at SF central who's mods I played an beat, well most of them 'shakes fist at Obobs challenge hack', that helped me to decide how to make one. Thanks also goes to those who created some of the neat patches that are used in this such as the 3 digits fix, percent poison damage, exp from healing for all etc. So thanks to Obob and BNC again. If I missed anyone just say so and you will surely be added to the list below.

Thanks
In no particular order
BNC
Spaceking
Stordarth
Earl
Nineko
Wiz
Greyskies , graphical contributions, battle sprites.
Obob , challenge/statistical ideas
Darkclaw , graphic/concept ideas
SirHedge , structural/statistical ideas
Corsair , graphic inspiration
Alones , graphic inspiration
Ronnen
Omega Entity, graphic commentary
Evil Spilit, tester
Spidey, tester
roxy, tester
Ace, tester
And all the rest of the community,

Anyways this pretty much takes all of my previous hacks and combines the best parts of them into 1. I've been making these for a while and from start to finish it's fully playable with no glitches, aside from the originals already present in vanilla, and I have put a lot of time and effort into it and that should be apparent from the start. In brief all characters, items, enemies, battles, spells and numerous other things have been changed not to mention lot's of new graphics, sound effects, and music. More details below and I'll add more as I wrap this up.

Applying the Patch and how to play

WARNING: SPOILER!

Review, courtesy of Evil Spilit

Item Details

Graphic Details

Character Details

Battle Details

Class Details

Difficulty/Game Changes/Hints

Sounds and Music Details

Screen Shots/Videos, currently a few small videos.

Known bugs/glitches, nothing to horrible. ;)

The one thing I have not done is alter maps and I'll tell you why. I spent a considerable amount of time putting them together, I had roughly 30+ maps fully drawn and tiled and completed with correct terrain values and everything, but to my detriment I soon found out how these thing's corrupted your game. Not only could I not open them any more to edit them but other bizzare behaviour started to happen. So in the end I trashed them all unfortunately so no new maps, and I wasn't about to try and fix many, many corruptions with a hex editor, I would have been doing that for the next several years. Although on the plus side I tried to reorganize battle maps to be much different than the original to keep you on your toes. On that note hopefully Earl unravels more of the puzzle concerning maps and their behaviour so these things can finally be done. I'll be watching and waiting to see if he can do this in his own mod, and if it can be reasonably done, I might be willing to go back and do these.

I put a few hex edits in here and there for additional things, actually quite a bit, some are only for cosmetic reasons and others are data changes and some are very subtle and some are more noticeable. I'm not going to list them all as it would take way too long, plus I'm out of steam so to speak, and my notes are pretty messy.

Anyways I kept the entirety of this as simple as I could with out overwhelmingly odd or unusual changes to classes,spells,progression and pretty much the things people would expect from a shining game. I did this in an effort to keep the game as natural as possible, and also previous attempts at hacking/modding this game made me realize my follies when it came to making one...........hopefully.

I'll post more details a little later but that's all I got time for now. And just so you know this is pretty much done, I just have to insert a few more things, and some hexing to fix some things up and it will be done. As for a specific time I can't give one yet but it will be soon.

Much play testing has already been done but that doesn't mean a fresh set of eyes won't turn up something I missed, although it shouldn't be much if anything at all as this has been gone over many times. And I will also post other info as necessary. Keep in mind the balance changes I have made are according to what I was aiming for and will no doubt not be to everybodies taste, as balance is really only relevant to the one playing and everyones taste are going to be vastly different. As such there is good news about this if anyone so desires. There just so happens to be SF2 edit and some other tools that let you change such things so if you don't like a particular progression or stat assignment or whatever feel free to mod it as I have left the game open to change. Keep in mind I have done TONS of comparisons over many playthroughs that have tuned all the numbers, ie. spells,stats,weapons,enemies,lvls,etc, in accordance with one another so a +10 or -5 here or there will no doubt make changes elsewhere that probably would be questionable. But anyways I'll post more later on. See ya. :)
Last edited by nightshade00123 on Wed Oct 10 2012 7:12pm, edited 91 times in total.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale

Postby SirHedge » Sat Oct 29 2011 8:40pm

First off, lots of interesting stuff there. It really sounds like the closest anyone has come thus far to a new game built on the SF2 engine.

Second, you'd probably be well served to clean up your first post. I realize you're not interested in putting more time into it, but it's a bit of a chore to get through. Even topic headings like "Items", "Battles", and "Classes" would be helpful. And screen shots are always appreciated in absence of a download.

Third, how did you alter the enemy drops? Hex? Because I can't find that capacity in any currently available tool or even in your lengthy "Nightshade's Hex Finds" topic.

Finally, as someone who has himself struggled quite a lot with getting through the design work for a game the size of SF2 I understand how you could be burnt out. So I wish you the best of luck with finishing this. I've always found cleanup to be the most enjoyable part so hopefully you will too.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Zzasikar » Sat Oct 29 2011 9:16pm

This sounds most excellent.
Zzasikar

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby nightshade00123 » Sat Oct 29 2011 9:21pm

I was going to ask how to go about making a more readable post and those are good ideas and I will most certainly do it when I get back, any other suggestions would be helpful as I'm sure I will probably be adding quite a bit more to it and am not familiar with making enormous post like this.

As for enemy drops I was working on a text document I was going to put into my Hex thread but got sidetracked/burned out and never finished it. There where some other things I was going to post that I had already found as well but my desire to keep fishing in the rom has dwindled significantly. Who knows maybe after a while I'll get around to finishing said documents as I imagine it would probably help a great many people.

But yeah basically I wanted to get the thread started before I lost all my steam, at least this way I will feel like I have something to get done and not put it off till I forget about it and it disappears.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Sat Oct 29 2011 11:42pm

This does look very cool.

You could use colour coding, headers etc to make the post more readable.

Also, A compilation of all of your hex finds in a word or text document would be most awesome too, so others could use your notes (Since I would wager there is stuff that you have that isn't yet in your hex thread)

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Earl » Sun Oct 30 2011 7:58am

Sounds awesome.

Burnout:
Dunno about you, but it's helped me to switch back and forth between several things. Fixing all of the weapon alignments would start to wear on me, so I'd work on a redoing a map for a while, then throw some time at staring at mapsetups in a hex editor. So I've got a bunch of partially finished stuff, but haven't crippled my enthusiasm*. A little Gears of War between sessions doesn't hurt either. Switching gears (har) every so often can keep the machine in good working order.

*Hell, all of the hex research I've done has made me more enthusiastic. The more we know, the more possibilities we have for changing the game. Doesn't matter if I'm not going to get that much use out of it myself... it's just the idea of what could be done that makes me excited for the future.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby nightshade00123 » Mon Oct 31 2011 3:21am

Thanks for the support guys. And yeah I definitely play other games for variety sake, god I can't wait for Diablo 3 to come out so tired of being teased.

But any how I have a question. I planned on making a few videos of select battles so people could take a look at things and see if this would be something they wanted to try, so as not to waste their time downloading and patching blah blah blah only to find out they don't like it because kiwi is red now and jumps up and down or luke gained to many points in attack or the grass is to green oh noooooo :fear: Jk ............you get the idea.

I have little experience with video recording specifically of emulation, only kega fusions AVI log output, and wanted to know what would be best/easiest to use. From reading about the Kega AVI's it would seem there not compatible with all media players, only those that have Kega Codecs installed which come in Kega Fusion's video codecs folder. If using Kega's AVI files is okay I could upload a few of those for those interested, and even include the kega codecs if others wanted to install those so they could be viewed on their media player. So any suggestions or advice?

Also I plan to keep updating the above content till it's complete, such as break downs of classes and other things, it's just going to take me a while............ :blush:

Hopefully I can get the item drop text done sometime but there are other things I have to do first, it will get done sooner or later though! I want to get this hack out though before my motivation/desire and other games distract me to the point of rendering me immobile.

Later dudes.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Noma » Mon Oct 31 2011 3:48am

You can use Camstudio also, but framerates differ sometimes and isn't always the best quality.

I've used Fraps to record games also. It's free for a trial version, but I think that's all you'll really need to record basic videos.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby nightshade00123 » Mon Oct 31 2011 3:49am

Thanks Noma, never even heard of those before and will have to take peek!
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby SirHedge » Mon Oct 31 2011 5:59am

I would second Noma's suggestion of using Camstudio. I've found it's "lossless" compression to show quite nicely on YouTube.

However, if you feel like it you can also try out Gens_Movie, which will record the video directly from Gens itself. I haven't used the current build but I found prior builds to be clumsier than normal video recording software, but if you want to try it out, here's the link:
http://code.google.com/p/gens-rerecording/downloads/detail?name=Gens11b.zip
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Earl » Mon Oct 31 2011 6:58am

GRASS is GREEN? LAME. This is one of the clearest examples I've ever seen of a game mod lacking in originality and creativity. I understand that the sky might also be blue. So derivative. If I wanted a blue sky, I'd just play the vanilla game LOLZ.

But seriously... My connection is slow enough that I'd be able to download a patch and play a few battles in the time it'd take for a video to load. Of course, I was sold on this thing from the word go so I'm not exactly the video watching demographic from either angle.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby nightshade00123 » Mon Oct 31 2011 3:25pm

LOL. Well you never know considering how vastly different peoples are.

And yeah, I don't think anyone is going to be seeing a video as I just found out Camstudio, and probably other screen recorders, does not like my laptop soundcard refusing to even acknowledge it's existence.............booooooooooooo. So maybe some screen shots, or the kega AVI outputs which are done very quickly I might say even though the quality is meh, so maybe some of those at least.

I'm off now to try to find at least 1 screen recorder that might do the job, if not heck with it. :roll:

Oh and before I forget, how long can my initial post be? It's probably going to be quite huge after I'm all done with it and would be kicking myself if I hit a wall somewhere along the way.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Mon Oct 31 2011 8:06pm

600,000 characters.

You should be fine.

Don't ask how I know. :shifty:

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Noma » Mon Oct 31 2011 8:22pm

Nightshade, if you feel really burnt out on any aspect of this, let me know and maybe I can be of some help. I'm taking a break from my own mod because Im frustrated with it at the moment, so having something else to work on for a while will likely rekindle my interest in working on my own.

I can be helpful with anything, excepting maybe doing much hex work. I still haven't gotten that part totally worked out yet.

EDIT: Grass should also be purple, for the sake of originality. Or possibly orange.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby xan1242 » Tue Nov 01 2011 1:04am

I wish I could help a little with music. :)
xan1242

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Shining Hopeful » Tue Nov 01 2011 1:42am

This sounds like it might be the ultimate Shining Force II remix ever.

Along with gratitude when you reach the finish line is one small request. Please include a 1k notepad file just detailing broadly what the patch or game is, how difficult it is, and what is required by the user to make it usable, assuming only basic prior user knowledge. I know that will incur eye-rolls from the cogniscenti, but not all of us are experts, and sometimes its just helpful having a short note with a patch to keep things straight in your emulator folders.

Well done on getting this far and changing so many aspects, and getting them to work together, commiserations about the maps too.

Thank you for all your hard work.
Shining Hopeful

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby nightshade00123 » Wed Nov 02 2011 5:12pm

Noma wrote:Nightshade, if you feel really burnt out on any aspect of this, let me know and maybe I can be of some help. I'm taking a break from my own mod because Im frustrated with it at the moment, so having something else to work on for a while will likely rekindle my interest in working on my own.

I can be helpful with anything, excepting maybe doing much hex work. I still haven't gotten that part totally worked out yet.

Well I'm not sure what I would need, as right now I'm just fixing some odds and ends, although the offer is most appreciated. :) If I run into something in the future that I feel I could use some help on you will be the first one I ask.

xan1242 wrote:I wish I could help a little with music. :)

Well unfortunately I don't thinking adding any more music is an option at this point as the ones I already have in game have significantly altered the instruments as is. If I add anymore I'm not so sure that fixing the instruments would be possible with so many already changed thus making all the classics sound effects/musics distorted. I was fortunate enough to find a balance in the ones present with the new ones and that took long enough. If I plan on adding more in the future I will certainly ask.

Shining Hopeful wrote:This sounds like it might be the ultimate Shining Force II remix ever.

Along with gratitude when you reach the finish line is one small request. Please include a 1k notepad file just detailing broadly what the patch or game is, how difficult it is, and what is required by the user to make it usable, assuming only basic prior user knowledge. I know that will incur eye-rolls from the cogniscenti, but not all of us are experts, and sometimes its just helpful having a short note with a patch to keep things straight in your emulator folders.

Well done on getting this far and changing so many aspects, and getting them to work together, commiserations about the maps too.

Thank you for all your hard work.

Of course I will include a text of how to install and other details. It won't be as comprehensive as I'm trying to make my initial post here but it will be just a general overview of things and of course how to install, heck it's the same method as the milestone so I'll probably just quote Stordarths word for word if that's alright with him.

MXC wrote:Hypercam

I'll check it out as I tried a couple of others and it was the same deal..............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr stupid laptop. :damnit:

But progress through out the week will always be slow, stupid work and responsibilities of course, but weekends I can get more done. Sorry for the wait but that's how it goes with these things.

Isn't that usually how it goes with releases anyways? First the announcement then some chatter and then months of waiting and then the release right LOL. Well hopefully it won't take that long. Later. :thumbsup:
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby sulfuroxp » Wed Nov 02 2011 6:48pm

lol, why the samurais are the "big slow tank"???
I practice Kendo and slashes with the sword (Shinai, Boken,... and specially Katana) are very fast
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Drakonis » Wed Nov 02 2011 7:09pm

Probably its because they always were in the shining force series.

This looks really good. I'll make sure to play it sometime when it comes out.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Force II