Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale - Version: 1.?

Customizing fun and new sights to behold.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale - Version: 1.?

Postby MysidianBard » Sun Dec 03 2017 1:22am

Love this mod, currently working on a 6 man play through on youtube. Other than the raft level and the forest levels, it seems to be pretty smooth. I'm considering maybe doing a 5 man playthrough on WTF difficulty to up the ante. Wondering about party composition.

My 6 man is:
Hero
Kiwi
Nadale
Nmek
Hanzou
Wendy

For 5 man I'm thinking maybe:
Hero
Nadale
Nmek
Hanzou
and someone else, not really sure yet.

I would love to take a different healer, but I can't imagine making it through the game without Aura, my 6 man party has basically always needed a dedicated healer, and with Nadale always casting aura, it's handy for her to be a few levels higher than the rest of the party.

I suppose I could take Amigo, but I feel like Amigo is just a crappy wizard that has aura. Anyone got suggestions?

Edit:

It took a while for this post to get approved, and I have been playing around with different 5 man parties trying to find a good fit. Right now I'm trying:

Hero
Akana
Nadale
Nmek
Hanzou

A lot of my problem comes down to choosing a healer, but each one is actually quite brilliantly balanced.

Mitula: Has attack spells and boost, but no aura and no detox. I feel like choosing her would mean I would also need a monk, that way you could have an additional healer and access to detox.
Sheela: Has boost, attack, detox, but no aura or attack spells. Maybe best paired with a mage in a 5 man run? That way you could at least equip the mage with a healing staff if you needed additional help and would make up for sheelas lack of damage.
Nadale: Has aura, detox, but no buffing or attack spells. Frees up another spot to take a front liner, Akana is a good choice because he gets boost, slow can mean the death of a character.

Would love to hear ideas from some of the others who know this mod better than I do, what would you guys take for a 5 man party?
MysidianBard

Postby kiwi1202935 » Tue Dec 19 2017 4:57am

If someone could help that would be cool... I've done about 4 patches with 2 different roms and can't figure out why the game won't run on android.
kiwi1202935

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Tue Jan 02 2018 11:57pm

In regards to healers, Nadale was my favorite of the bunch. I don't utilize the boosting spells often (for challenge reasons ;) ) so take that with a grain of salt.

As far as android issues go, I can't help, unfortunately.

Up to level 10 and just got to a new shop (with new weapons). Only oddballs are that Tao and Anri have the Royal Flail instead of the Lich Wand, losing a few ATT.

Untitled.png

I will say that Waltz can't seem to find a good role here. She's so fragile that I'm worried to even let her take a hit. But her damage output is so poor, that I feel like I need to give her the attack boosting accessory. Everyone else is doing well enough, though Amy would probably be struggling if I wasn't babysitting her. I'm purposely making sure she levels first or second before letting the others do their normal thing. We'll see how the next few levels go.

-----
Got through levels 15 and 20 (below). Honestly, just see above. Everyone is holding their own but Waltz isn't pulling her weight for damage and she's just always a crit away from being killed instantly, and stay away from the archers!

Untitled2.png

I'm in the home stretch now, with only a handful of battles (and about 6 levels) left to go. Unless there is a drastic change in some of the level gains, I have a good idea how these ratings will shake out. It's certainly possible though, considering Akana gained 7 HP around level 18/ or 19. Not sure I've seen anything higher than +5, but I'd have to see if I posted it anywhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Wed Jan 10 2018 7:37pm

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby MXC » Wed Jan 10 2018 8:22pm

MXC wrote:
MXC wrote:
MXC wrote:Character evaluation below. To be fair, the accessory choice may be partially to blame for some of these thoughts (good or bad). I'll only comment on the 12 characters I used. Take special note that the comparison I draw are only compared to the others I had on my team. I will not be able to compare my archers to all the others.

My scale is as follow: Strongly recommend> Recommend> Neutral> Discourage> Strongly discourage. Again, this is with the knowledge that I could do better with other characters (though technically worse as well).

WARNING: SPOILER!

The party this time was as follows. New characters are in red:

Ahfen
Wendy
Kiwi (JADR)
Cray
Nmek (BRGN)
Nadale
Vulede
Kamiku
Ruhada
Anri
Hindel
Hori (Musashi in Stor's edit)

At the end of my last game, I had said I wanted to try (but didn't) Geppel, Waltz, Dolan, and Dawn. I now wish I had tried Geppel but really don't care about the others. Cray and Dolan can't be that far apart and I'm just indifferent to this kind of monk. I've never been a fan of rangers and Akana was a good enough knight for me. If I ever do play again, I'd be willing to try out: Gates, Geppel, a Amy/Skreech, a Sniper and that's about it. Technically, I haven't tried any of the following:

Gates
Geppel
Honesty
May
Amy
Waltz
Dolan
Amigo
Janet
Dawn
Skreech
Sheela

... Maybe that should be my next party?

Looking at all my comments, my (so far) all-star team would be:

Here's what I've had to say from my other experiences. I'm not going to rehash my points with characters that I have used before (except Nmek since I picked a different promotion.)

New this time was Gates, Honesty, May, Amigo, Dawn, Skreech and Nmek as a Sniper.
Repeats from previous games were Ahfen, Wendy, Hanzou, Musashi (Original Hori), Vulede

My team was fairly balanced overall though I was a little lacking in defense compared to my normal style. I had 2 Mages, Knights (1 Pegasus), and Archers (1 Pegasus). I also had 1 Ninja and 1 Samurai which equip the same weapons but play a bit different, balancing each other out for the most part. I only had 1 Warrior and Healer as well as 1 Swordsman and Birdman (which is essentially a winged Swordsman with slightly worse stats and only Egress.)

My analysis of the new characters is below

So there you have it. This was probably one of my weaker games and my ratings reflect that. I'll have to see if I can find some old saves from previous games and determine if these ratings seem right. I find my rating odd for Dawn, for example so I'll see if Akana's stats back it up. This game is still a ton of fun but after playing trough a Roulette and then this, I feel like I need a break and don't know when I'll get around to reviewing the rest:

Amy
Waltz
Dolan
Janet
Sheela

That should easy enough to balance around. I'll be looking forward to seeing if Amy is as good as Skreech, if Waltz can hit harder than May, if Janet is better than Nmek and if I can find a healer not named Nadale that I actually like.

On a side note, I wonder if Cybel would have been more useful had I boosted her attack instead of her defense. I recall her getting OHKO'd without a defense boost though so at best she'd still be discouraged.

As before, I'll list my overall favorite group so far. There are a few characters that could get switched but I'd have to double-check old stats:

Over 5 years later and I've finally finished playing this hack with all the characters. I could have (and should have) sped things up by not reusing as many characters, but I had fun with each game regardless. In the end, this group was probably my least favorite, or at least the one I struggled with the most. It might have been due to me being a bit more rushed than usual, but I think some of it was character selection (passing on Vulede and taking no Samurai). I took 5 new characters and their review is below.

And that's it for my ratings. I've added another unfortunate soul to the "discourage" group. I should probably bump Cybel up to the same spot since she'd have been better with an attack accessory, but it really doesn't matter. Cybel and Waltz suck, don't use them! Below is my full list, rankings from 2 (low) to 5 (high).

My All-Star(ish) Team is still the same as before, with the addition of possibly adding in another healer for spell diversity, likely Sheela for Boost and Attack, despite only giving her a "neutral" rating.

I've really enjoyed playing and reviewing this hack. I've spent this time simply because it has been the most creative hack in the community. I look forward to one day playing through with my All-Star team, but until then, I hope to see others play though this and share their thoughts!
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Sniper Lyle » Tue Jul 24 2018 10:33pm

Decided to try again, on normal this time. Just got to
on my playthrough... Gods, why.

They were really easy to beat actually, for some reason. Even Bazoo near the beginning was harder.
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby alancmota » Sat Aug 18 2018 12:47am

Please, how do I save the game? I do not have time available to play without stopping and I can not save the game, be it with the priest, be in battle using "quit".. Fusion Emulator
alancmota

Postby Jonesy_Pants » Wed Aug 29 2018 5:32am

you have to use save states
Jonesy_Pants

Previous

Return to Shining Force II