Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale - Version: 1.?

Customizing fun and new sights to behold.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale - Version: 1.?

Postby Stordarth » Wed Feb 03 2016 11:22pm

Well, I was prompted to test this myself too. I killed everyone off via save state edit (set all current HPs to 0), and set everyone to level 1 to see if a few others exhibited the same behaviour. A few characters use what would be considered promoted classes as their unpromoted class in this game, so I wondered if some other had been missed. But after testing them, not a single person exhibited this inflated revive cost. Not even the ones previously mentioned.

Might be an issue with the specific patch. I'll test that as well.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Stordarth » Wed Feb 03 2016 11:32pm

It's not the patch. Tested the patch Sir Hedge supplied with a clean start up, and no one exhibited the inflated costs. At least at level 1. It might be a bug with a variation of the version of SF2 patched, or it might be intended by nightshade.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Stordarth » Wed Feb 03 2016 11:37pm

Nothing mentioned in his notes that I can see.

I'm stumped.

I could try giving you my version of the patched rom via email, but I'm not sure if the change will carry over to your save state.

If you want to try it, just let me know and pm me your email, dude.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Killian22 » Sun Feb 14 2016 8:20pm

hello ! i've just start the games!! but there are glitch in every battle animation ( only when Its my turn) how can i fix it ?? im using kega fusion
Killian22

Postby Tarethen » Fri Mar 11 2016 8:59am

I must have a glitch someone. Honesty promoted to a Hero... o.o Huh. Stor, you can shoot me a PM and give me your patched version of the game. My patch must be bad.

I fixed it, I think. Ran through some old topics about using SFEdit to convert SMD to BIN files. Intentionally got Ruhada killed and only cost 10 gold instead of 110. Hate to start over, but better than having a buggy mess.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Thu May 05 2016 4:14pm

Sometimes I play through a battle in SF2 and remember that the same map is used for a better battle in this hack.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Chrono~John » Sun May 08 2016 11:20pm

There's some way to edit things in this rom with sf2edit or with another program/tool?
I already played the hack but i'd like to change some stats and spells. The problems is the sf2edit crashes whenever I try to change these values.
Of course this is just for my personal play,it's just some ideas I wish to apply for another experience with the hack.
I'm already thankful to everyone who help me in a way or another :) :) :)
P.s: Sorry for my bad English.
"Somos o que definitivamente fazemos.A excelência,portanto,não é um efeito,mas sim um hábito".
Aristóteles
"Somos o que definitivamente fazemos.A excelência,portanto,não é um efeito,mas sim um hábito".
Aristóteles
Chrono~John

Postby Devonathan » Mon May 09 2016 1:04am

I really need to give this hack a try. I hear it's pretty good.
Devonathan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Mon May 09 2016 9:34pm

It is very good. But it's also bloody hard. Unless you're comfortable playing the original game on at least Hard (and preferably super), it will kick your ass into the dirt.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Devonathan » Mon May 09 2016 10:52pm

I've beaten SF2 on Super 4 or 5 times. I saw that there are 4 difficulty settings for Battle Royale - is the game still really hard on the lowest setting?
Devonathan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Tue May 10 2016 12:10am

Yes. Normal is very hard. Super on this hack would likely make you pull your hair out in frustration.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby MXC » Tue May 17 2016 7:09pm

I'd recommend playing on Normal first as well. I managed to beat Super without losing anyone but it took a very long time. This hack is unforgiving if you don't plan properly and have a balanced Force with balanced levels.

Edit- Decided to play through this again using some characters that I haven't used before (Gates, Honesty, May, Amigo, Dawn, Skreech) along with a few I like and knew could help balance out my roster (Ahfen, Wendy, Nmek, Hanzou, "Musashi" (Hori in Nightshade's original), and Vulede.)

It's just as good as I remember and I'm chugging along pretty well. My Force is all either level 10 or 9 and not yet promoted. I forgot how much of an issue gold is in this hack. I've had no deaths and have been cheap in buying healing items but I still don't have anywhere near the amount of cash I need to fully update at all the shops. I'm not sure if there is a gold difference between the difficulties (I don't think so) but I'm playing on the second-hardest difficulty. I'm really happy with my Force so far and have been very impressed with Skreech to this point. He's still somewhat fragile but at least he can hit! I'm concerned that Honesty will go the route of Cybel though and that has me worried.

I'll continue to post thoughts if this gets a reply. Otherwise, I'll just post again after I beat it.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Tue May 17 2016 11:19pm

Well, I'll reply then. It'll be interesting to learn more about some of the lesser used characters.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Wed May 18 2016 1:51pm

Right now, everyone is level 12 (except for Wendy and Vulede) and equipped with their best weapons. No accessories are added here.

Untitled.png

As you can see, things are fairly balanced. Musashi (old Hori) has been much more useful with the boots (stats not shown here) but was otherwise needing kills to keep up. Nmek has been fairly weak most of the game but he usually goes first or second in the turn order which means he gets into the action so his exp hasn't slipped. I know he'll be more useful for me after promotion. To this point, May has been more useful. I haven't used any Ranger before so I'll be curious to see how she ends up. Dawn has been fairly unimpressive to this point as well. Her stats aren't that great and I feel like she doesn't usually have her turn at a good spot. Honesty's versatility has been more useful but I'm worried about her becoming more frail. Skreech also has some frailty issues but he's been benefiting the most from an accessory.

I'll likely update again around promotion unless something else interesting pops up.

I forgot to mention that Amigo finally just learned Aura. I knew she started the game with Hell but I had hoped a healing spell wouldn't be far behind. I've had to rely on using the Heal Rod and being even more particular about my character placement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Wed May 18 2016 9:46pm

Are you buying any healing items? When I played I couldn't have made it with just a single healer because there were so many choke points preventing healers (and others) from reaching their targets.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Assassins » Wed May 18 2016 10:05pm

May always makes my final party in the normal sf2 bit unless she got some sort of defense hike a more difficult game might require you to use her more strategically
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war

Prepared spells:
0 resistance , resistance, guidance, guidance, detect magic
1 obscuring mist, bless, protection from evil, magic weapon, shield of faith
2 wind wall, bulls strength, bulls strength, aid
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war

Prepared spells:
0 resistance , resistance, guidance, guidance, detect magic
1 obscuring mist, bless, protection from evil, magic weapon, shield of faith
2 wind wall, bulls strength, bulls strength, aid
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Thu May 26 2016 9:56pm

I've had to buy a few healing items, especially early on before I had Aura or the Heal Rod. It helps that every character starts with an item so I can take from there. Buying them meant that I couldn't get accessories for everyone early on but I just skipped over the characters that are usually fine on their own (Ahfen, Gates, Musashi).

There really haven't been many choke points so far, at least not that I've been trapped in anyway. I take special care to check the enemy MOV and position my characters a square out of the range (taking ranged weapons and spells into account). This means that I almost never get attacked first. I also make sure not to get behind a group of enemies to attack if it means I'll trigger the group behind them.

May never makes my final party in normal SF2 (Super) because she's way too fragile. By the end of the game when Defense really matters, her HP/DEF combo is abysmal and her slight ATT boost isn't worth it (only ~2-6 more than the gunners.) But in the spirit of trying all these characters eventually (after this game, I have 5 left), I felt I needed to use May (and paired her with Nmek since I know what I'm getting with him.) So far, I'm quite happy. This is my first time using a Ranger though so I'm not sure what to expect after promotion.

Edit- A few notes about the game at this point that I thought were worth sharing. After this, I'll probably go back to posting every 5-10 levels.
WARNING: SPOILER!

Stats at level 1, promoted at 20. I won't use stat boosters until the end of the game (except Turbo Peppers). All of these stats have the best weapon available (with exception to the Wizards) and no accessories.

Untitled.png

Nmek isn't doing all that well so I gave him the accessory that boosts ATT the most (Elvan Crown) and that solved his issue. Everyone else seems pretty well balanced. Each of the casters and anyone that can fly has a DEF boosting accessory on for obvious reasons. I could potentially give Honesty an ATT booster though since she hasn't decent DEF and good HP. It's something that I'll have to monitor. Hanzou also currently has a DEF booster but I might give him an ATT one. I can never decide since he's fairly balanced within the Force. I believe later there are some accessories that give half boosts to ATT and DEF and he gets those when they arrive.

Edit- Just got everyone to level 10. The stats below reflect everyone with their best available weapon, attack-wise (this includes the casters. Not equipped are weapons that added less attack but a small DEF boost and also ones I keep for their bonus abilities.)

Untitled.png

I'm really happy with my Force to this point. Amigo finally has enough MP to be useful with Aura. Wendy and Vulede both know at least 1 level of every one of their spells which is always a big milestone for me. Skreech is still proving to be useful though I wonder if he'll continue to do so since this is the point in SF2 where a Luke's fragility really comes into play. I'm hoping not though since Skreech just got a +4 in his attack. Gates has been pretty good but I wish his turn came sooner. I know I could fix that but don't want to use boosters until the end of the game. Honesty has been mostly useful but I keep waiting for her to fall off like Cybel did. May has been fun but she's getting close to OHKO range. And Dawn has also been fairly helpful. Like I said, I'm about to enter the traditionally harder portion of the game so we'll see how I feel in another 5-10 levels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Sat May 28 2016 11:54pm

I actually forgot about the Pegasus Archer in this as well. That feels like it's going to be abusive with the range + mobility, but I guess you'll see. The loss of land effect may balance it out if she actually starts getting one shotted.

As for Nmek's slow, I really feel it's an underused ability in the game and consider it about equivalent to a regular attack (more so if the enemy is strong enough). On the surface getting it as a bonus to a regular attack makes me want to say it's about equivalent to a double attack, but since the enemy is already hurt from the regular attack, you can't control the timing, and you're giving up 150% from a regular critical, I definitely have doubts of its usefulness. I am curious how it turns out for you.

It looks like Hanzou's HP + DEF is lacking. Do you beef him up with the defensive accessories?
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Sun May 29 2016 3:57pm

With how (mostly) intelligent the AI is, a Pegasus Archer has been kept in check. May has 6 move so some of it balances due to that as well. She's been able to reach a few targets that she wouldn't have been able to before but so far I haven't noticed her being broken or anything. I do give her a shield to boost her defense though and that's how she stays alive at the moment.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier or not but I've been skeptical of the Sniper slow ability. It's nice that it reduces stats but most of the time it doesn't reduce the amount of attacks needed to kill an enemy. Since most battles are set so that you only have to take on 3-4 enemies at a time (unless you rush and a bunch attack), usually everything only gets 1 or no hits on my Force so that means even slowing agility doesn't help much. The only benefit I can see would be against bosses but I'm only a little over halfway through so I'm not sure yet.

Hanzou is pretty middle of the road and I tend to give him the accessory that will boost both attack and defense. Most of the Force needs defensive help, a few need the offense, and then just a few don't really need anything (Ahfen and Gates). With that being said, I usually give Gates offense because he's tanky enough. I'd do the same for Musashi if I had given him the Turbo Pepper. Ahfen could be justified in getting a shield as well since his attack is the best but I enjoy giving him an offense boost just in case I encounter an enemy that really needs to fall fast. So Hanzou gets a bit of both because he doesn't usually have a specific need.
MXC

Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II