Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale - Version: 1.?

Customizing fun and new sights to behold.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale - Version: 1.?

Postby SirHedge » Sun May 29 2016 9:29pm

In my prior post. I should have just said "As for slow, I really feel it's an underused ability..." as opposed to "As for Nmek's slow...." I must have added Nmek's name when I was reading for clarity and screwed it up. Ah well. I think you got what I was saying anyway.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Thu Jun 02 2016 9:55pm

Yeah, I understood. And is does relate to the Pegasus Knights since they do gain that spell. It didn't make Cybel worth it though. Maybe it can be beneficial to Honesty though.

Edit - Just got everyone to level 15, the battle after Zalbard.

Untitled.png

Not much is new here really. May and Skreech were both able to withstand one shot from the boss in the last battle so their hp/defense/lack of LE combo hasn't caught up to them yet. A crit surely would have killed them though. Everything is moving along pretty well. I have a few special weapons right now (not reflected in the above data) and they are currently with Skreech and Hanzou. Skreech needed his sword more than Ahfen and while I could have given Hanzou's sword to Musashi (and might switch), I felt like making Hanzou really strong and left Musashi only tanky.

The only things to note are that Musashi and Wendy are always the first two to move. The boots I gave Musashi really do some wonder but letting my best tank lead the way instead of catching up. This makes me really glad that I gave the Turbo Pepper to Amigo since she can now move in to heal after the carnage is over. The other note is that Cybel is hitting for about 6 damage which is very depressing. I knew it wouldn't be long before I started to have issues. Her defense is a bit higher than the other flying units so I think I'll give her an attack booster and see if I can make her useful. This leads me to my last point in that Nmek as a Sniper really hasn't been all that fun. He's still very useful with his massive range and ability to move in terrain but his attack/defense combo isn't all that great and it's starting to show.

I'll update again at level 20.

Mini Update: Finally have new weapons and accessories (I hate that delay). Finally have the second Turbo Pepper as well. I had seriously thought about giving it to Gates since the new boots give +3 MOV instead of 2 (which would have given Musashi 7 MOV total) but Musashi was falling behind in ATT so I figured he'd be more useful moving last again but with the second best ATT. I also gave Hanzou the ATT boosting accessory since his survivability doesn't really change, despite losing some DEF.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Sun Jun 05 2016 5:00am

The other note is that Cybel is hitting for about 6 damage which is very depressing.

Did you mean Honesty?

And how have you found Vulede so far? I never finished my play through with him, but I found his lack of sufficient MP an issue early on.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Tue Jun 07 2016 1:17pm

Ah yes, I meant Honesty.

I've used Vulede through every game I've played. His low MP early is an issue and you have to set up kills for him because of it. Fortunately, he makes up for it by the end of the game. It's also why I took Wendy with this game. Of the traditional Wizards, she learns everything the fastest and Vulede does the slowest. Anri is great too and could easily replace either one. And all three are viable by the end of the game as well.

Update at level 20.

Untitled.png

I gave defense accesories to Wendy, May, Amigo, Skreech, Vulede. Everyone else has attack accessories. Everyone is still able to survive one hit so that's good. The usefulness of all my fliers are starting to fall off though. Don't get me wrong, they still help, just not as much as before. I might experiment with giving attack accessories to Skreech and May. It will leave them incredibly vulnerable but they'd hit pretty hard (Skreech would rank third and May fifth.) I'll see if they don't gain some ATT in the next few levels and go from there.

Level 25

Untitled.png

Some characters simply would be fine without an accessory but some others really need it. I won't go into too much detail here because I'll have a final thoughts section but I am happy to see that Skreech can equip the best sword in the game. That means Ahfen can't but just look at those stats. He doesn't need it anyway!

While writing my character review, I noticed that I had a typo for the level 25 stats. Skreech had 96 attack, not 86.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MXC on Fri Jun 10 2016 3:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Thu Jun 09 2016 6:01pm

Filler for your final thoughts on everything. (And agreeing that it's nice that Skreech can equip the best sword in the game.)
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Fri Jun 10 2016 3:23pm

MXC wrote:
MXC wrote:Character evaluation below. To be fair, the accessory choice may be partially to blame for some of these thoughts (good or bad). I'll only comment on the 12 characters I used. Take special note that the comparison I draw are only compared to the others I had on my team. I will not be able to compare my archers to all the others.

My scale is as follow: Strongly recommend> Recommend> Neutral> Discourage> Strongly discourage. Again, this is with the knowledge that I could do better with other characters (though technically worse as well).

WARNING: SPOILER!

The party this time was as follows. New characters are in red:

Ahfen
Wendy
Kiwi (JADR)
Cray
Nmek (BRGN)
Nadale
Vulede
Kamiku
Ruhada
Anri
Hindel
Hori (Musashi in Stor's edit)

At the end of my last game, I had said I wanted to try (but didn't) Geppel, Waltz, Dolan, and Dawn. I now wish I had tried Geppel but really don't care about the others. Cray and Dolan can't be that far apart and I'm just indifferent to this kind of monk. I've never been a fan of rangers and Akana was a good enough knight for me. If I ever do play again, I'd be willing to try out: Gates, Geppel, a Amy/Skreech, a Sniper and that's about it. Technically, I haven't tried any of the following:

Gates
Geppel
Honesty
May
Amy
Waltz
Dolan
Amigo
Janet
Dawn
Skreech
Sheela

... Maybe that should be my next party?

Looking at all my comments, my (so far) all-star team would be:

Here's what I've had to say from my other experiences. I'm not going to rehash my points with characters that I have used before (except Nmek since I picked a different promotion.)

New this time was Gates, Honesty, May, Amigo, Dawn, Skreech and Nmek as a Sniper.
Repeats from previous games were Ahfen, Wendy, Hanzou, Musashi (Original Hori), Vulede

My team was fairly balanced overall though I was a little lacking in defense compared to my normal style. I had 2 Mages, Knights (1 Pegasus), and Archers (1 Pegasus). I also had 1 Ninja and 1 Samurai which equip the same weapons but play a bit different, balancing each other out for the most part. I only had 1 Warrior and Healer as well as 1 Swordsman and Birdman (which is essentially a winged Swordsman with slightly worse stats and only Egress.)

My analysis of the new characters is below

So there you have it. This was probably one of my weaker games and my ratings reflect that. I'll have to see if I can find some old saves from previous games and determine if these ratings seem right. I find my rating odd for Dawn, for example so I'll see if Akana's stats back it up. This game is still a ton of fun but after playing trough a Roulette and then this, I feel like I need a break and don't know when I'll get around to reviewing the rest:

Amy
Waltz
Dolan
Janet
Sheela

That should easy enough to balance around. I'll be looking forward to seeing if Amy is as good as Skreech, if Waltz can hit harder than May, if Janet is better than Nmek and if I can find a healer not named Nadale that I actually like.

On a side note, I wonder if Cybel would have been more useful had I boosted her attack instead of her defense. I recall her getting OHKO'd without a defense boost though so at best she'd still be discouraged.

As before, I'll list my overall favorite group so far. There are a few characters that could get switched but I'd have to double-check old stats:

MXC

Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Wed Jun 15 2016 6:36pm

I finally got around to reading all of this. I don't have much to add, so instead I just made myself useful and summarized your recommends and neutrals. At this point, Cybel has the unfortunate privilege of being the only character discouraged (and she is strongly at that). One could argue you were too nice with the others. That or she's really that bad. I had her in the game I never finished with Vulede, so I can't really say one way or another.

And for fun I made an emote version of the list and placed it in a spoiler tag below, for those who like their emotes.

Ahfen Strongly recommend
Mitula Neutral
Cybel Strongly discourage
Gates Recommend
Wendy Strongly recommend
Geppel --
Kiwi Recommend for either promotion
Honesty Neutral
May Recommend
Cray Neutral
Amy --
Nmek Neutral as SNIP, Strongly recommend as BRGN
Hanzou Strongly recommend
Musashi Recommend
Waltz --
Nadale Recommend
Dolan --
Amigo Neutral
Janet --
Dawn Neutral
Skreech Recommend
Vulede Strongly recommend
Kamiku Neutral
Akana Recommend
Ruhada Recommend
Sheela --
Domingo Neutral
Anri Strongly recommend
Hindel Neutral
Hori Recommend

SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Wed Jun 15 2016 6:47pm

Haha, thanks for that :thumbsup: I might slowly work on rating the ones that I haven't done yet. I'm willing to bet that not everyone would share my views since I largely like characters with above average defense (with the exception of Mages). I still want to check on Cybel from my first game. I just need to remember to load that state.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Sniper Lyle » Sat Jul 30 2016 7:31am

Been having fun with this hack so far, raft battle on hard seems somewhat ridiculous though. Even though most of the enemies kill my whole team in 1-2 hits I've been able to work past it but not here, there aren't any good ways to position my force and these enemies are even stronger.

Oh yeah, and since so little money is offered that single wipeout means I don't have enough to raise my entire team. I might just start over on normal, I'm all for difficulty and it seemed good at first but now it's just cutting into the fun.
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sat Jul 30 2016 1:45pm

To be fair, nightshade balanced it to be played on normal, and made sure to state that hard difficulties are played at the the player's own desire/masochist level.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance: /roll d26 [Dani, Don], /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Sniper Lyle » Sat Jul 30 2016 10:27pm

Oh yes. Entering the raft battle I had:

Ahfen
Mitula
Gates
Geppel
May
Cray
Amy
Hanzou
Musashi
Dawn
Vulede
Anri

Most of them were level 17-19 unpromoted, and were equipped with whatever defensive accessories I could afford, with a few offensive ones for my hardest hitters.

I don't mind starting over on the normal difficulty setting, but I was actually enjoying the difficulty level of the harder one before it became almost impossible, so that's too bad.
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Sun Jul 31 2016 3:16am

That party is balanced and your level is right. That battle is rough though and the last time I played, I believe I lost two members there. A lot of strategy and luck goes into that battle. You may just want to try it again from scratch if you can.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Sniper Lyle » Mon Aug 22 2016 8:22pm

Gave that battle another try and scraped by with two people left, that one is so much harder than anything before it. Positioning is a nightmare because the map is so small and the party is split up at the beginning.

Also, I'm starting to see post-promotion weapons show up, when should I be promoting my characters? I've never known the right time, apparently you can go all the way to 40 before promoting, pretty sure I'd be close to the end of the game by then though.
Sniper Lyle

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Mon Aug 22 2016 9:08pm

I always promote right away to take advantage of the weapons. I wouldn't go more than a few levels beyond 20 though.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby zildog » Wed Oct 26 2016 4:17pm

I don't know if this is going to be seen but I have downloaded the hack on SFII and it's f**ing awesome.

I have gotten through the first two battles after a bit of grinding but then after beating the second fight, I am placed in the second scene township and have access to walk around the village and talk to NPC's... who look like the new characters.

...Go down to Astral and he's talking but isn't there...

It's a glitch right? Is it a Mac port thing?

I'm on a Macbook Air running Shining Force 2 Battle Royale.bin on Kega 3.63i and everything was running fine until that point. I have no issues with SF-CD by the way...

Can anyone answer me on this if indeed, they are still reading from this thread?

I hope someone is out there... Nightshade et. al

Thanks.
zildog

Postby Stordarth » Thu Oct 27 2016 7:48am

Hey, welcome.

Nightshade's Battle Royale is built around my Milestone 12 Man Marathon hack, which in turn uses the Survivor ASM hack by BigNailCow. It is meant to be a continuous sequence taking you from battle to menus to battle to menus etc. If you have ended up in town somehow, my guess is that you used the priest's Save feature after battle 2. If you do that and reload the save, the hack sequence breaks, and you end up in town. If you did that, you have to make absolutely sure to only save the game via the emulator's save state feature in order to preserve the coded sequence.

If you didn't use the priest's save function, then it is probably a mac thing.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby MXC » Thu Nov 16 2017 10:05pm

I hate seeing this topic slip back too far so I'm giving it a bump. One of these days I will do another play-through with the characters I haven't used yet :)

Okay fine, so I went ahead and started another game. I took the characters that I hadn't used yet and tossed in some favorites to balance things out for me. As you will see below, I've kept tracks of stats in 5 level intervals and just now promoted. I'm taking a break because I wanted to post this and because promotion is a good stopping point. But also because I'm not looking forward to a few of the next handful of battles.

A quick note about the table below. I give everyone their best weapon (in the case of having one special weapon, I downgrade that one user to match what the shop would sell), and do not include accessories. I also don't use stat boosters until the end, except turbo peppers (in this case, Janet.)

NS.png

There is a lot that changes after promotion. Some characters begin to level differently than their base level forms and this is even more evident with special promotions. I've been through this before so I know what I'm dealing with for the most part. I do have a few thoughts on characters to this point though.

Gates: I forgot about how he played from my last game. I go in thinking he can tank more than he can and realize I need to utilize him differently. I sometimes give him a defensive accessory to compensate.

Kiwi: I've used him twice and completely forgot how much I still have to baby him.

Amy: She just isn't hitting very hard. She's beginning to remind me of Cybel from my first game but a little more durable and without range. I really hope she begins to be more useful for me. I may end up ditching the defensive accessory for an offensive one. At least to this point, I much prefer Skreech.

Hanzou: A little more glass than I remember but a quick adjustment in play style has helped. He's still good though!

Waltz: She's been kicking ass to this point but we'll see what promotion does to her.

Dolan: He's been fine. Nothing spectacular either way.

Janet: I feel like Janet is always behind. I think it's because she moves first often and misses on kills. Becoming a Brass Gunner will definitely change that though.

Sheela: See Dolan.

Everyone else is as I remember/ have commented on in the past. I'm looking forward to getting through the next few battles and getting a few levels for everyone to get more into the form they'll take by the end of the game. I'm a bit disappointed in Amy so far but everyone else has been mostly okay.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Sat Nov 18 2017 2:12am

Does the thing BNC created years ago to read the stats from state saves work for this? Or did you have to manually go through to make that chart? I really need to play this hack again.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Sat Nov 18 2017 2:49am

That utility is broken, or at least it was the last time I checked. I manually created the above in Excel with good ol' data entry.

I made my way through the stupid Elven Village and took out Dantom. Everyone is level 5 and starting to show signs of life. I already feel like Waltz is falling behind but we'll see as I continue. I may just have to switch out her accessory and hope that does the trick.
MXC

Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II