Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Tactics Absolute Final Edition

This will probably be my last Shining Force 2 project.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining Tactics Absolute Final Edition

Postby Nyttelost » Wed Aug 13 2014 7:52pm

An .ips file is a patch file, similar to the sort of files used in updating games.
There's a few steps to go through to make use of the .ips file.

1) You'll need a ROM to patch. Specifically, it should be a BIN file. One you get it, you may want to make a back-up copy of it in case you go wrong in one of the following steps. I can't link to the ROM here due to both forum rules and legal issues involving copyright. This will be the game you're patching.

2) You'll need to get a patching program. For the computer, I'd recommend the one called LunarIPS. For your Android, I'm not certain what a good one would be. When you open the LunarIPS program, there'll be two options. You'll want to pick the "Apply IPS Patch" option.

3) Pick the IPS file you want to use, then pick the ROM that you wish to patch.

The patched ROM may expand a little bit from its normal size. It should still work normally, however.
Current Youtube Activities:
Chroma Squad, Valkyria Chronicles, Shining Force: RotDD.

Sometimes I stream on Twitch.

"Strategy. Is. Always." - Shane (Did You Know Gaming), Asagao Academy 2016

Nyttelost

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Wed Aug 13 2014 8:14pm

Nytte you played this? Best SF2 mod on here in my opinion.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Nyttelost » Wed Aug 13 2014 11:39pm

I played it for a bit before I began posting here. I was about to get to Creed's when I allowed my mum to use my computer to check her email or something (she used to have a computer, but it's been dead for years). When I got my laptop back, she somehow managed to delete the driver for the wireless network adapter, of all things. Took an arm, a leg, and some factory default settings to fix that mess. While I backed up most things, sadly I lost all of my emulators and ROMs when I did the reset. I've gotten some back, obviously. I might give this another bashing eventually.

Nyttelost

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Wed Aug 13 2014 11:59pm

LOL damn man, all Save States and hard save gone!! I bet you went madddddd!!! :) Its okay, can always start over with a better set of characters :)
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Thu Aug 14 2014 12:17am

hah it is a little :D But its a nice challenge, a reason to grind haha :D
So when you making SF3?
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Nyttelost » Thu Aug 14 2014 12:20am

Honestly, I was more angry about losing my progress in Shining Force 3. I was at the final battle in the 3rd scenario.

I'll give this a good bashing again once I finish the SF1 mods.

Nyttelost

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Thu Aug 14 2014 12:35am

Okay :) I do remember Peter is not as nerfed as he was in the original but he has spells so thats good :)
Other characters have status changing effects from their normal hits which is nice.
Jaha and the rest of his class can cast stun from their hit, Sarah and her classes can cast slow or sleep i cant remember :)
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby katgirlfeli » Thu Aug 14 2014 9:26am

Well, Just beat this mod, so I suppose I can say a few things about it.

Overall comments:

Played on Super, although most of the game was fairly easy. Mid game the enemies had quite the Defense that made it quite difficult to defeat a lot of them. At the same time, these enemies hardly gave any Experience, which was a little annoying for their difficulty.

The enemies as the Chess Battle are overleveled for the ease of defeating them. Was able to get a good 10 levels off of them easily with all of my characters, and I wasn't in any danger of running out of gold.

Speaking of Gold, the gold is tight early on to the point where I was selling Medical Herbs over using them. After about mid game the gold issue evened out, but I'm not one of those people who usually restart if I do lose a battle, so losing a battle in the early game really hits hard.

Equipment is nice though most characters are locked into the "attack" or "defense" only early on until some of the late game where some characters would just do better with another item.

The Final Battle I felt was in rather poor taste. Any battle where you're likely to die because your enemies gets to attack you before you can even position your troops is bad design. Zeon also wanders too much. The 8 or so enemies surrounding Zeon couldn't do anything because eventually Zeon just wanders toward the starting point, which after a rough start lead to a very easy end.

Characters/Classes:

Overall, due to wanting to see what people can do and giving other characters a shot, a lot of characters were swapped out throughout the game. In any case, comments on a few characters:

Peter: While I kept him for most of the game, I really should've swapped him out for someone else. All of Peter's Spells require too much MP and he doesn't get enough to make any of them worthwhile. His normal attack is too weak throughout the game to be even worth using as an attacker, and thanks to the MP, he can't cast any of his spells effectively so he is spent quickly. Peter needs to be revamped with some MP recovery, more MP in general, or just cheaper spells. His special item is useless considering he's not build to be attacking anyway, so giving him 50 ATK or whatever the Phoenix item gave did nothing for him.

Chester: While having Heal was nice for a little while, Chester ultimately couldn't stay due to having lackluster offensive stats to keep up with everyone else. His utility has a side healer didn't work well for the same reason as Peter: He just didn't get enough MP, so like Peter, as an attacker and as a healer, he was terrible at both and couldn't stay. Ultimately I kept Eric. His ATK was incredibly high, so he could keep up with the rest of the force unlike Chester. He also could use ATK on May and Gerhalt and really get them going with their high crit rate/damage. I kept Eric a Magic Knight only because I wanted to see their Spell Growth though he only learned Attack. I didn't get to try any Pegasus Knights in the run.

Kazin: I made him my Warlock to start with though I didn't really have a Warlock Ring until a few levels after promoting him, so perhaps putting them in a shop a little sooner. His spell list, like most of the spells in the game, were pretty overpriced, though in the midgame, Kazin did have a decent amount of MP to Desoul many times. Sadly, Kazin got quickly booted off the team for Chaz as Chaz having the utility of having Heal made him infinitely better than Kazin. Since there's only 1 Secret Book that I found, I couldn't see what Tyrin had for spells.

Kiwi: While he does have some impressive ATK and DEF growth, he got booted off for Screech as he was able to attack hard and often. Kiwi also continues to have the change to use his Flame Breath, but sadly it is pretty weak like in the original, and not only that, cannot double attack. Since it isn't based on his high ATK, it seems like wasted potential. Flame Breath needs to be stronger.

Oddeye: His sprite looks a little stout and fat :p Also, The Oddeye Beam is incredibly weak.

Taya: You ruined her by making her a Wizard. Make Chaz the Mage again, give Taya the Warlock with the same abilities :) Frankly, I don't like Chaz.

Slade: Was too weak to keep around really. In Super, his HP and DEF were too low to really withstand anything. His spell selection is rather weak, and Katon is overpriced for its worth.

???: While kinda funny who it was, he was a little bland. Rather avoid spoilers and comparisons. Disappointed that the Auracite did nothing when used. (WIth a name like Auracite, I'd expect it to cast Aura at least)

Elric/Janet/Rohde: I didn't really give any of these a try because May was just too good to switch out. She has enough HP and DEF throughout the game to tank with the best of the Melee Force members and enough ATK to hit hard. There was just no reason not to use May as your main archer.

Gerhalt: Incredibly strong throughout the game.

Healers: While most healers did have attacking spells (and this goes the same for Warlocks), Super Difficulty kinda required them to do more healing than ever using offensive abilities. Despite Sarah being my monk, she rarely did ever get to attack. Also, considering Karna's Spell List, I would've rather her become a Master Monk too but the second Vigor Ball is gone so I couldn't do so.

Warlocks: While Warlocks had a lot of offensive abilities at their disposal, as mentioned, they took the role of healers for most of the game, especially once the Holy Ring came around.

Spells: In General, offensive spells are effectively weaker than they are in the original Shining Force II, which in that game were already grossly underpowered, while at the same time costing twice as much at least. Enemies have a good 4 times their HP end game while spells are only doing at most 1.5x their normal game value and that equates to Mages being most useless.

Not sure what else to say. It was an interesting hack, mainly wanting to try it out due to Warlock. New classes are always welcome.
katgirlfeli

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Thu Aug 14 2014 12:46pm

Did you play the beta version? Lol joke. Yeah I do remember Slade being weak in this along with Chester :) Skreech is very good though along with Kiwi.
The Warlock class is nice specially with Kazin, I remember having Tyrin as a Warlock and he didn't last long in the late game.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kioki » Wed Aug 20 2014 4:03pm

Great hack, always fun to have new sprites and classes!
For the remake of shining force 2!
For the remake of shining force 2!
Kioki

Postby SaCred » Fri Aug 22 2014 12:05am

Kioki how you getting on? Slade looks good in red lol.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Workman » Sat Aug 30 2014 6:06pm

Hey guys, long time lurker here. Just ran into a weird bug when trying to play this hack, not sure if its me, or the emulator or what. After I recruited May the game freezes whenever I try and raise characters or loot items from chests or "hidden" items like mithril.
Workman

Postby Mamorudramon » Mon Sep 15 2014 9:25am

:shock: Thank you Dark Claw. This was a completely refreshing view on Shining Force 2, one of my favorite games from childhood. I had tried out your BETA a while ago, and I'm very pleased with the changes you made.

WARNING: SPOILER!

Oddly enough, Elric was the MVP. He was highest level by the end and he slaughtered everyone... right up until the last battle where Kiwi suddenly began to take three turns in a row with Boost. Very nice. What's weird, is that I Boost 2 everyone, and everyone would move, with Kazin taking 2-3 turns in a row... and Sarah who was in 40's of levels took forever to get a turn. I'm not sure why. Going into members still showed her with an incredible 140 AGI, but when I looked at her character sheet, it only displayed a 12 AGI.

Slade was impossible to keep alive. :thumbsup: Poor Ninja.

I didn't use much offensive spells, mainly allowing any character capable of wielding a staff to use Heal+ Rods and Boost Rods while the rest of the Shining Force cut through. Thank you for allowing me to get all four characters from Creed's Mansion at once. A blessing!

WARNING: SPOILER!

I'm going to play again at a higher difficulty, but I was hoping to use custom names on my characters. I seem to be having great difficulty getting the feature to work. I've recreated it with the original version to make sure I was doing it right, but so far I can't get it to work. Is this the byproduct of the patching process?

Otherwise, I am grateful for the years you have put into this. I was very happy to reply Shining Force 2 with this hack. Thank you.
Mamorudramon

Postby Someone » Sun Nov 02 2014 11:48pm

I made it to Taros, in order to get the Caravan.

Up until now I had no problem. But in Taros's lair there is a chest with an AGIMeat inside.

If I open it with a character, no matter who, may it be during the battle or after, the game says I got AGI Meat, but the text panel saying it never disappears.

And I'm stuck. So I gotta reload.

Even if I reload, it still does it.

I'm playing on Gens V. 2.14

It's not a big deal if I can't have that AGI Meat, but if it does the same for other chests from now on, then I will have one serious problem...

Except for that, kit's a bloody wonderful hack, real funny to play.

Edit : THe matter is even bothersome. It no longer concerns just a treasure chest, as every action that pops a confirmation screen now stops you in your tracks.

I went back to Hassan after getting the Caravan, and tried to recruit Rick. The screen mentionning that I successfully recruited Rick overstayed its welcome, so to say.

Because it never disappear. And because of that, I'm stuck. I didn't even bother to check if other events after that made the game act like this too.

I'm just a bit disappointed, after all I just had hit promotion...

Is that why it bugged? Because I promoted my characters after the Kraken battle?
Someone

Postby SaCred » Wed Nov 12 2014 5:17pm

Hehe glad people are still playing this mod :)
It was the first mod I played on here and I loved it.
It keeps to the original with the story and the change of outfits on certain characters makes the game awesome :)
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Wing Eye » Sun Apr 05 2015 1:20am

Anyone else try a solo run of this hack? I'm currently working on one and it is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be (and I thought it was going to be super hard to begin with)
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.drunkduck.com/phantasy_star_replay
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.drunkduck.com/phantasy_star_replay
Wing Eye

Postby SaCred » Sat Apr 18 2015 3:56pm

Solo using Bowie? :)

Nah but I did do a Solo Bowie on the original version.
Played on Super haha.
I finished it but didn't stand a chance during the final secret battle vs all the boss men.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby RastaOddeye » Sun Apr 26 2015 3:51am

I attempted it once with Chester. Gave up within 10 minutes.
I'm arrogant, and proud of it.
I'm arrogant, and proud of it.
RastaOddeye

Zeons Third General
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Wed Apr 29 2015 12:31am

RastaOddeye wrote:I attempted it once with Chester. Gave up within 10 minutes.

Wasn't Chester one of the greater ex devils? :)
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II