Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

[hack] SF2 - RETURN TO GRANS

Rebalanced classes, higher difficulty, visual improvements, better story

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: [hack] SF2 - RETURN TO GRANS

Postby NoobX » Sun Aug 26 2018 8:37pm

greyskies wrote:I'm glad to hear you're still having fun, and if you ever have the time to write a more extensive review, I'd be happy to read it. In particular so I can find out whether or not Luke sucks in your playthrough as well, heh.

I've redownloaded your hack and I'll start playing it from scratch so that I can provide you with the most relevant info regarding the changes. Sadly, that means that my review won't be coming anytime soon.

So far, I can give you a quick run-down regarding some character's performances which I could evaluate in my playthrough (basically those that I used at some point):

WARNING: SPOILER!
NoobX

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Sun Aug 26 2018 11:51pm

greyskies wrote:@MXC: Thanks for the detailed character review. I don't want to make major changes 'blindly', i.e. before having the time to playtest them, but for now I've given three characters from your poop list a small stat boost. Hopefully I'll have the time for a playthrough sometime soon, in particular so I can test a solution for the Pit Beast issue.

Sure, that's fair. You can even ignore my notes entirely if you want, it's your hack! :)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Tue Aug 28 2018 5:54pm

Thanks for the review so far, NoobX! It seems you're using a really tanky party all around, which is pretty much the opposite of what I usually end up with. Interesting.

NoobX wrote: I've redownloaded your hack and I'll start playing it from scratch so that I can provide you with the most relevant info regarding the changes. Sadly, that means that my review won't be coming anytime soon.

That's great, I feel like I must have done something right with this hack if you don't mind starting over :) now I really hope there's no other bugs I have missed which might mess up your playthrough...

NoobX wrote: One more thing - even though you nerfed the movement accessory, simply equipping it, moving to the desired tile and then unequipping it before finishing the turn or performing any other action negates the negative aspect of using it. You could make it a cursed item, but I think that would be taking it too far.

Yeah I know, and I agree with you, making the Ostrich Pendant cursed would be going overboard. Also, it's not like I'm in the business of preventing people from "cheating". A player could also make a savestate before any attack to ensure they always get critical hits or dodges. If they feel that this is how they enjoy the game more, I won't judge them.

MXC wrote: Sure, that's fair. You can even ignore my notes entirely if you want, it's your hack! :)

Well, ultimately I created this thing for my own entertainment, but it makes me happy if it also brings other people enjoyment. So I strive to make it as polished as possible, and I certainly have to rely on feedback from others to do so :)
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby NoobX » Tue Aug 28 2018 10:22pm

greyskies wrote:Thanks for the review so far, NoobX! It seems you're using a really tanky party all around, which is pretty much the opposite of what I usually end up with. Interesting.

I don't know how else to do this. Seems that the whole "leash" tactics isn't working for me, so I can't count on having only a handful of tanky characters doing the job; everyone gets to ride on the pain train :damnit:

greyskies wrote:That's great, I feel like I must have done something right with this hack if you don't mind starting over :) now I really hope there's no other bugs I have missed which might mess up your playthrough...

The hack is great, there's that. I was aiming for a no-death run this time, but my dreams have been crushed by a Witch and a frozen tortoise she'd given me. I'm slugging my way through Parmecia atm. And I'm disregarding my exams, shame on you :lol:
NoobX

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby greyskies » Mon Sep 03 2018 1:18am

Well, back then I disregarded my own exams to create this hack, so we're kind of even :D
By the way, the exams comment made me curious, and I checked out your profile. How come somebody who's only 20 is apparently rather enthusiastic about an ancient game which was released a whole 5 years before he was even born?

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby NoobX » Mon Sep 03 2018 9:55am

I can't remember if I ever said anything about it here, so excuse me, members who do remember, if I repeat myself.

Serbia, being a prime example of a Balkan country, is a whacky mother, but a mother that you kind of grow to like just because of that. Growing up in the 2000's, there weren't many games to be bought, and even if there were, they were expensive. With the number of households that did have a PC growing, so too did the demand for games. Faced with this problem, some of the lucky few with an internet connection saw a way to get some cash.
Enter bootleg CD's.
People pirating games, and then selling the CD's on the flea market was a common sight up until maybe five years or so. There was this one particular CD labeled "352 games" which spawned many copies, and maybe out of curiosity, or maybe out of pure excitement, people sought those copies. 352 games is a lot, after all, right? Well, those were actually the old Sega Genesis games which explains how "352 games" managed to fit on a CD. By chance, one such copy of a CD ended up in my household, and among all the random games was Shining Force 2. Back then, I couldn't even speak English, yet I was able to progress with the game. Fun times...
NoobX

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby greyskies » Mon Sep 17 2018 12:37am

Ha, I have a somewhat relatable experience... I once got a "150 games in one" Gameboy Cartridge, which was mostly a compilation of old games from the I think Commodore era... and also it was actually like 20 games. In the menu 150 games were selectable, only that it was the same 20 over and over again, with different names. Such as game 1 being Tank Batallion, and then there was game 21 called "Heavy Artillery", game 41 called "Super Tanks", game 61 called "Warfare Commander" and so on, only that it was always Tank Batallion.

Anyway, there also was a Dragonball Z game on the cartridge - a story-heavy game with tactical battles. Only that it was completely in Japanese and I had never watched Dragonball Z. I remember calling the Kamehameha "The Spotlight" due to the still image :) Nevertheless managed to finish it, and played it quite a few times. Fun times indeed.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Force II