Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

[hack] SF2 - RETURN TO GRANS

Rebalanced classes, higher difficulty, visual improvements, better story

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: [hack] SF2 - RETURN TO GRANS

Postby radiantwanderer » Wed Dec 20 2017 9:54am

greyskies wrote:
WARNING: SPOILER!

No, they were fine. But I couldn't see them when they appeared at first, which was confusing.

... at least when I did it with the editor I used back then. But local genius Wiz has recently released a new tool for map editing which apparently allows changes in all maps, so if I someday get the time to learn how to work with this disassembly thing I might give Galam another shot :)

That would be amazing, let me know if you do that!!

The Harpy Lake was a cool fight. It was great that the Harpies all attacked early, it put a lot of pressure on me and made the fight interesting.

Now I am at the chess battle. I got wrecked at my first and second attempt :thumbsup:
I tried to charge the king, but that certainly didn't work out. He has far too much HP to rush him down. Next time I'll try and clean out the right side of the board and attack him from there. To battle!! ;)

Postby greyskies » Wed Dec 27 2017 8:18am

radiantwanderer wrote:Now I am at the chess battle. I got wrecked at my first and second attempt :thumbsup:
I tried to charge the king, but that certainly didn't work out. He has far too much HP to rush him down. Next time I'll try and clean out the right side of the board and attack him from there. To battle!! ;)

That's a good strategy, many pieces won't attack you unless you attack them (or unless the AI tells them it's their turn to approach the party), so you can for example block and kill the rook with only two party members. Just be careful of the Queen - in RtG she's the most dangerous piece.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby radiantwanderer » Tue Jan 09 2018 9:39am

I needed five trys, but then I finally did it :thumbsup: On my final successfull attempt only Gerhalt, Bowie, Peter and May were left alive. I pulled the Queen too early, and she wrecked half of my army together with a bishop. The king was almost easy compared to her, if I hadn’t already lost so many guys. What a battle! The healing seeds dropped by the pawns really saved me also.
I watched your youtube video of your own fight, by the way. I can’t believe you lost nobody :shock: :shock:

I’m in Pacalon now. I took Janet with me. Her damage is not as high as I would want, but long-range fighters seem really useful right now because I need to pile on enemies :blush: I would take another archer if I could. I kind of regret promoting Elric to brass gun. He doesn’t die as much now, but he also doesn’t always reach the enemies.

Also, I once more have to say that I really really enjoy this hack :thumbsup: It’s completely the challenge I have looked for. Every character is balanced and useful. I’m having a tough time choosing who to keep in the party, and I’m already thinking about a second playthrough to try out new combinations with the guys I didn’t level :shifty:

Postby greyskies » Sat Jan 13 2018 3:37pm

radiantwanderer wrote:I’m in Pacalon now. I took Janet with me. Her damage is not as high as I would want, but long-range fighters seem really useful right now because I need to pile on enemies :blush: I would take another archer if I could. I kind of regret promoting Elric to brass gun. He doesn’t die as much now, but he also doesn’t always reach the enemies.

I also like the archers a lot. I usually run May and Elric in my party, but having 2 or 3 archers tops is fine for my needs. Do you have Rhode in your team as well? Tbh the BRGNs are probably my least favorite class, I prefer mobility over defense.

radiantwanderer wrote:Also, I once more have to say that I really really enjoy this hack :thumbsup: It’s completely the challenge I have looked for. Every character is balanced and useful. I’m having a tough time choosing who to keep in the party, and I’m already thinking about a second playthrough to try out new combinations with the guys I didn’t level :shifty:

Thanks a lot, it really makes me happy to hear that my work brought a few other SF2 fans out there enjoyment. The balance issue is one of the things which always annoyed me about the original game - many characters are simply glaringly inferior to certain others (I'm looking at you, Peter).

Since you're already contemplating a second round, whom did you leave on the bench and now have regrets about it? :)

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby radiantwanderer » Tue Jan 16 2018 10:42am

After an intense battle (or rather: three :thumbsup: ), I just got rid of Zalbard. The second time I used egress when I lost Rick and Luke before reaching Zalbard. In most battles its ok if one or two guys die before the last big enemy group, but for Zalbard I needed everyone to throw them at him.
I powered everyone up before the battle. Power Ring on Peter, Fairy Tears for Sarah and Karna… its sad that boost only gets one person, but I understand that you made it weaker. It was too strong originally. And the dangerous thing about Zalbard is Bolt, so it didn’t matter that much :thumbsup:

Oh and the Worm Bridge Battle was sooo cool! :excited: At first I thought I was finally doing well, and then suddenly I was surrounded. Bowie and Rick were the only party members to survive this fight in an epic last stand.

My Party so far is Bowie, Sarah, Karna, Rick, Elric, Janet, Peter, Chester, May, Kazin, Jaha, Slade. I didn’t pick Rhode because I think two brassguns are too much. I kind of regret sending Gerhalt to the caravan. He’s just so cool as a werewolf. But he fell behind in level and it was never his turn when I needed him. I also would like to have Eric in my party and give him the Pegasus wing. But I am really glad to have Karna also. I will write a more detailed character review if I have the time. :thumbsup:

Postby greyskies » Fri Jan 19 2018 5:04pm

radiantwanderer wrote:My Party so far is Bowie, Sarah, Karna, Rick, Elric, Janet, Peter, Chester, May, Kazin, Jaha, Slade.

Ah, so did you throw out Luke after your first two attempts?

radiantwanderer wrote:I kind of regret sending Gerhalt to the caravan. He’s just so cool as a werewolf. But he fell behind in level and it was never his turn when I needed him.

I remember I sometimes had a tough time keeping Gerhalt on par with the others, he usually has low AGI and his MOV is nothing to write home about either. I often give him the Quick Ring or the Ostrich Pendant so he can keep up with the rest of the party.
Fyi, Gerhalt got a minor battle sprite update in both promoted and unpromoted form. Just in case you really want to give this hack another go after you're finished ;)

radiantwanderer wrote:I will write a more detailed character review if I have the time.

I'm looking forward to it :)

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Johnny Rico » Sun Jan 21 2018 12:16pm

Hi, newly registered on this forum, but reading topics for a long time, I wanted to quickly review this hack :

-HIGH difficulty, I was maybe wrong choosing SUPER difficulty setting for my first walk and I am now near the end, just finished field battle against LEMON and this was nightmare ;P

-Great NPC text modifications, a lot of hints between Shining Force playable characters

-Intriguing new objects, like the Steam Engine...didn't find what it is for yet...

-Questionable characters evolution, I was really disappointed seeing Slade not able to learn offensive magic when ninja...

-Did I say REALLY HIGH DIFFICULTY (in SUPER mode, ok...). First healing consumables like herb seed and are not generous AT ALL, you have to keep money to buy as much as healing water ASAP !

Anyway, nice and fun iteration of a great game, but I look forward any modifications about some characters evolution !
Johnny Rico

Postby radiantwanderer » Wed Jan 31 2018 5:04pm

No, I only had Luke in the party because of the water around Zalbard, which made it hard to reach injured party members. I had already replaced him for Janet. In the Zalbard battle all he did was running around and giving people healing drops :damnit:

I am now at the first battle back in Grans. Cameela was a beast :excited: And the additional enemies that came out of the Nazca ship surprised me. Also, the Pacalon fight was really cool as well. I love all the ambushes you created. Although I am getting severe paranoia whenever I think I am doing well in a battle :shock:

Anyway here is the character review I promised!!

Bowie: He’s great! Not as tough as I remembered him, but can deal a lot of damage. I am trying to exploit him as a bait quite often. Maybe you could also give him some more cool magic spells like Kazin?

Sarah: What would I do without her? I promoted her to cleric and have never regretted it. Her sprite is just so pretty I think I am in love. :blush:

Chester: I love centaurs, but keeping Chester was a tough decision because he does not do a lot of damage. At least he always reaches the enemy since I have promoted him to Pegasus. I think its great you placed the Pegasus wing earlier than Pacalon. I always hated waiting for the promotion of him.

Jaha: I promoted him to BRN. He does solid damage, but most of the time he's just around without being special.

Kazin: Blaze was really useful many times. In my previous playthroughs of the game I often tried to line up enemies to get more than one, but here in your hack it seems to happen on itself. In the harpy fight I got four at once. It was amazing. I still promoted him to sorc, and since then my consumption of mp recovery items has skyrocketed :excited: But I think next time I will try to make him a wiz.

Slade: Probably died more often than anyone else, but he’s the guy who often finishes off enemies or deals the damage we need. I really miss Katon and Rajin, but after reading your handbook I understand why you took it away. Muddle is cool, its just sad that Dispel is so useless. Couldn’t you perhaps make it so that bosses can be dispelled?

Kiwi: He saved me in the chess battle :thumbsup: Before dying horribly to a Freeze. The stun ability is really useful, and he is a great tank also. I would have continued to use him but I wanted a second healer. I like that he now has a normal movement radius but it would be cool if he could still climb mountains.

Peter: I always liked Peter. He dies in almost every battle because I send him recklessly into the fray, but that’s ok since he revives again anyway :shifty: I think his P.Wing ability is quite useful to finish off enemies, but it should be a bit more powerful, like a regular attack.

May: Oh god I love May. She is the best archer and can survive a bit longer than Janet. She’s great and I will never replace her.

Gerhalt: This dude is seriously cool, but I needed space for Karna so I let him go. I hadn’t used the ostrich pendant because lower def seemed really dangerous with all the damage the enemies deal, but now I gave it to Jaha and it isn’t so bad. I shouldn’t have kicked him, but who else should I have picked? Ahhhhhh!!! :excited:

Luke: He was actually pretty decent. I usually replace him shortly after the Kraken, but he proved useful in the desert battles and also in the forests thanks to his flying. I would have probably kept him, but having a new archer was just too tempting.

Rick: Another centaur? Yes please! I promoted Rick to a paladin and he has been tanking ever since. He often takes heavy beatings, but since I got Karna I can finally get through most fights without Healing drops. His damage is ok.

Elric: Archers are just sooo good because they can attack all the time. Sadly Elric died a lot, so I made him a brass gun, and now I regret it a bit because he is often too far behind to reach the enemies. He fell behind in XP as well, so I recently replaced him with Gyan. Oh and I like his new archer outfit. It is so much better than the original one.

Karna: I really needed a second healer so I picked Karna. I always promoted Sarah to MMNK, so it was cool to have Karna as monk for a change. At first I hated the new boost, but by now I like planning ahead whom to give it and for which situation I conserve the MP. Healing vs boosting is also a tough call sometimes, and I enjoy it.

Janet: My third archer and my first sniper. Janet kicks butt, especially since I now have enough healing power to keep her from dying (also I think around the time I got her I finally learned how to efficiently pull and tank enemies). She’s a great asset. The only thing I can complain about is her dumb pink color scheme, I think you should replace that.

Gyan: I regretted promoting Jaha to BRN because I couldn’t test the new class and I really really regret it now. I feel Gyan is the tank I have been waiting for. He is like Kiwi was, but without being scared of spellcasters :)

Hope I can play some more this weekend. I am really scared of Red Baron :excited:

Postby greyskies » Mon Feb 05 2018 3:01am

radiantwanderer wrote:I love all the ambushes you created. Although I am getting severe paranoia whenever I think I am doing well in a battle

:D
radiantwanderer wrote:Anyway here is the character review I promised!!

Thanks, it was interesting to read! A few short comments:

-Bowie: Since he is already a great allrounder with his melee prowess and his Bolt spell, I think giving him anything else would not only make him too strong but also make other characters less interesting to use - in case of your suggestion, spellcasters. I know it's tempting to just add cool stuff, but at least in this case I think it is better to keep the status quo :)

-Slade/more powerful Dispel: Changing bosses' immunity to Dispel would also cancel their immunity to Desoul and Slow, if I am not mistaken... so, not an option, I am afraid.

-Peter/Phoenix Wing: I think somebody else made a similar comment before. I might have to boost this ability some more.

-Karna: I love that you're saying you enjoy having to choose between Boost and Heal. This is exactly what I intended to do - not only make the game more difficult, but also to make the strategic decisions more interesting :)

radiantwanderer wrote:Hope I can play some more this weekend. I am really scared of Red Baron :excited:

In case you haven't beaten him already, here's a small hint: Gyan and Peter are resistant to his Desoul ability, so you might want to use those two to engage him.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby radiantwanderer » Fri Feb 09 2018 3:11pm

Thanks, that was a really helpful hint. I wish I could use the dark sword as often as Lemon without breaking, I think he fired off about four Desouls during the battle (and he got Karna with one) :excited: I had trouble actually reaching him in the forest, and his priest healed him from 50% HP to full once. Finally beat the battle on my third try :thumbsup: I have started to regularly use Egress a while ago, I never used that spell before when playing SF2. But now I just egressed after I lost Slade to one of the clouds early in the battle, and the second time when the fight against Lemon went poorly because his first two Desouls were successful :blush:

I am now at the dwarf forge and boy I am having a hard time deciding what weapon to get. I really want the Gisarme but it seems so much weaker now. And since I am using the Archers a lot, I should probably get Mithril arrows as well… but which one?!?!

Once again, great hack. But I want to say that the guide you wrote is incredible as well. I have now used it for the first time to look up the mithril weapons and then I read the complete thing which I think took me an hour or so :excited: I wish I had known all this before I started playing. I feel now I definitely have to replay the game :thumbsup:

Postby greyskies » Fri Feb 23 2018 6:49pm

sorry, I end up responding really late due to real life stuff...

Personally, I like the Grand Cannon even if it's not the strongest weapon. But I prefer utility over a few more points of damage. What other mithril weapons did you get?

once again, thanks for your kind words! Are you already on your second playthrough? :)

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby radiantwanderer » Fri Mar 09 2018 1:32pm

It’s ok, don’t worry :thumbsup:

Yes, I have finished the game a while ago. It was amazing. The outside of the tower after Odd-Eye is now one of my favorite battles. When the first pursuers came I turned around to meet them, but then I realized that there would be more and more and so it became a battle against the clock where I had to reach the Executioner before Sarah and Karna ran out of MP :)

Galam and Odd Eye gave me a lot of trouble. In both fights my guys were already drained from all the fights and traps before, and in both cases I just barely made it through. :excited: Same goes for the Zeon fight. The badass new enemies made this fight quite a ride. When I had finally realized how to deal with the Pit Beasts I got destroyed by Zeon’s personal bodyguards right before the boss fight. Then I finally faced him, and I had managed to conserve a lot of my items and MP and unleashed everything on him. The cool thing is that since I had so many ranged attackers I managed to rush him down without having to sacrifice one melee guy after the other. Bowie was just standing there watching with his heart beating fast, just like mine :shock: Defeating Zeon was sooo satisfying after all those tough fights. Oh and the new story was just so good :thumbsup: Even tough I have beaten SF2 a hundred times I was really excited for the ending, and it all came together so perfectly. I laughed at the final conversations with the party in Granseal castle and I nearly cried when Oddler died. The new ending was great as well, it was almost like a sad goodbye. I know I said that I will replay your hack after finishing, but now I feel I have to wait for some time to forget some things and be able to enjoy it like it was my first playthrough. But I will return to Grans for sure ;)

You have turned a already great game into a really amazing experience. Thank you a lot for this.

Postby greyskies » Wed Mar 14 2018 9:11pm

I kind of don't know what to say. Thank you. It makes me really happy you enjoyed my work so much. I know it is certainly not the most innovative hack out there, but I put a lot of effort into Return to Grans, and it means a lot to me to hear it is appreciated by other fans of the game.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Wed Mar 14 2018 11:18pm

greyskies wrote:I kind of don't know what to say. Thank you. It makes me really happy you enjoyed my work so much. I know it is certainly not the most innovative hack out there, but I put a lot of effort into Return to Grans, and it means a lot to me to hear it is appreciated by other fans of the game.

The big acomplishment of your hack is the text changes, thats make it diferent form all others. Its the heart of a story that is loved by all of us and you make it better.

The second big thing is consistency, your hack dont exagerate things and change stats and monsters in a consistent way.

I think you should keep updating it with new ideas, maybe alternative versions. Improving more overworld and battle sprites is a good idea.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby greyskies » Sun Mar 18 2018 6:10pm

Thank you! Every time I play Return to Grans, I usually find a few sprites to improve on, so next time I crave SF2 there'll probably be an update of those.

I'm also keeping an eye on Wiz' improvements of his awesome disassembly tools. There's so much stuff I would love to add, but it's just not possible with the carvan/SF2edit...

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Mon Mar 19 2018 12:11am

greyskies wrote:Thank you! Every time I play Return to Grans, I usually find a few sprites to improve on, so next time I crave SF2 there'll probably be an update of those.

I'm also keeping an eye on Wiz' improvements of his awesome disassembly tools. There's so much stuff I would love to add, but it's just not possible with the carvan/SF2edit...

I think map editing is already possible right? edit the other maps you planned to edit but cant in caravan. It would improve a lot the game.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby pdub1985 » Thu Jul 05 2018 6:58pm

Hey Folks! I've been trying for two days to get a patched .smd to work. I have an unmodified file from a well known site. I've tried patching with Lunar and IPS and have been unable to get the game to load in GENSPLUSDROID app. I also tried several different emulators with no luck. :(

GENS+ will register that I'm trying to load "ShiningForce2.smd", but it just sits there at a black/blank screen.

Can anyone offer some advice? Or if you have a patched file, can you share it with me? I'm desperate to try this masterpiece!

Thanks in advance,

Paul
pdub1985

Postby Meji » Sun Jul 15 2018 5:29am

I made an account so I could thank you for such an amazing hack.

I just finished the game on OUCH with no deaths and wanted to say the challenge was great and fair! A lot of changes to the battles kept the original feel of the game but gave that extra challenge and a bit of flavour that was missing from the original!

I loved the fact that the Shining Force was well balanced and found everyone quite viable in their own way which made choosing my final force extremely hard.

As for the story and dialogue, I absolutely loved it. My favourites were definitely the injection of dialogue of what the Shining Force was doing for each town and the main story felt natural and not forced like the original. The ending made me smile and feel sad at the same time as I was saying goodbye once again to Grans.

I recommend everyone to play the full experience instead of just the graphics update!

Thank you so much for this incredible experience of how I remembered Shining Force 2 from my youth. I definitely will be Returning to Grans.
Meji

Postby greyskies » Mon Jul 16 2018 8:43am

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Meji! I'm happy to hear you had a good experience, in particular with regards to the story. Also I'm impressed that you managed to finish an OUCH playthrough with zero deaths! I know there's many harder hacks out there, but it is still no small feat.

@ Paul: I sent you a PM, this should hopefully solve your problem - otherwise just contact me again.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Tue Jul 17 2018 3:53pm

Started a new game, finally.

WARNING: SPOILER!

I'll continue in a bit, but felt that posting the first section of the game would be a good place to stop.
MXC

Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II