Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Chess Battle (Super)

I had to do it...

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Chess Battle (Super)

Postby Wulfunruh » Tue Sep 19 2017 4:52pm

I'm currently working on my first super-mode playthrough, and doing so without grinding at all. Well, Kraken was a joke. Seriously, messed it up without an issue. Now I arrived at the chess battle, and after getting wiped three times -- I gave in, and bee-lined straight for the king. Anyone else have better luck than me?
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Chess Battle (Super)

Postby greyskies » Thu Sep 21 2017 6:04am

The lower right corner is the best spot for waiting for the enemies to come to you, as you have a lot of space to charge and fall back again, if you take the lower left corner things are progressing faster but you might get caught in the open field when you kill attacking enemies.

Also, as MXC said, they usually come in groups of three - when a knight or rook attacks, their pawn guards will expand their full movement and come as close as possible even if there is no one to attack, so it might be worth to take a hit and not immediately swarm the rook/knight.

Patience really is the key. It is often worth pulling back and getting freezed by a queen a second time instead of fully commiting to an attack and letting things escalate, resulting in casualties.

Good luck on your next attempt :)
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Wulfunruh » Mon Sep 25 2017 2:37am

Haha, well that was no fun. Willard is still a joke though...
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nuburan » Fri Oct 06 2017 3:23am

Yeah, MXC hit the high points. I would add, pay attention to how far enemies can move--not just the listed number, but how far they can actually go on the chess board--and the timing of their turns. I split my party, with a little more than half, including the fast characters, to the left, and Bowie, Sarah, and a few others good at holding their ground to the right.

The enemies tend to come from the upper left, and they move toward the high-priority characters at the lower right. It takes some time, but you can draw them really far down the board since you have a smaller force to the right, and the party on the left can follow the enemies, never getting close enough to be hit. When the small group of enemies gets so close that they will be able to attack you next round, close in with everyone and wipe them out. Heal if needed, rinse, repeat.

Also, boost is your friend.
Nuburan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Wulfunruh » Sat Oct 07 2017 7:37pm

Well crap, I almost want to go back and try it again with that strategy now.
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force II