Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Playing around with SF2DISASM

or Assortment of Misc Patches

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Playing around with SF2DISASM

Postby Siel » Sat Jan 27 2018 9:27pm

These patches should probably work along with other patches and the editors, unless it's ronnen's EXP editor if EXP is modified.

SF1-like Level Ups
I'm aware there's a patch by ronnen with a similar description, but it seems to have the drawback of making certain growths (such as Kiwi's HP) run out of control, and it doesn't actually emulate SF1's stat gains, so I tried my own hand at it. Details inside spoiler:
WARNING: SPOILER!

Fire Emblem-like EXP Gains (Path of Radiance and its sequel in particular)
EXP is gained regardless of damage dealt (as long as any is dealt). EXP values are also changed to match Path of Radiance's numbers. EXP gains still depend on the difference in level between the target and attacker. Enemy levels are untouched and may require tweaking for better balance. A side effect may be that AoE mages gain EXP too quickly compared to others. Details in spoiler:

Fire Emblem-like-like EXP Gains
Sticking to Fire Emblem's numbers might result in too little EXP for Shining Force, which doesn't have as many counterattacks as a source of EXP, so this is a version with much higher numbers.

Damage doesn't matter for EXP gains (quarter)
Damage doesn't matter for EXP gains (half)
Forget the FE nonsense above and just use SF2's base numbers. Hitting an enemy grants 1/4 or 1/2 of the base gain instead of being modified by damage dealt, depending on the patch.

Boost increases MOV instead of DEF
Instead of increasing DEF by 12.5~37.5% over 3 turns, Boost increases MOV by 1~3 over 3 turns. The AGI increase remains as is (same bonus as DEF). The battle message hasn't been corrected and still displays DEF instead of MOV.

Slow reduces ATK instead of DEF
Slow reduces ATK instead of AGI
Slow reduces MOV instead of DEF
Slow reduces ATK instead of DEF or AGI, or it reduces MOV instead of DEF. Reductions for ATK remains based on a percentage, but the reduction to MOV is fixed from 1 to 3. The battle messages aren't corrected for these either.
Last edited by Siel on Sun Jan 28 2018 10:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Playing around with SF2DISASM

Postby Wiz » Sun Jan 28 2018 5:16pm

Awesome bundle of contributions here, wow !
And so glad to see another person enjoying ASM hacking on SF2 ! :)
Wiz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Playing around with SF2DISASM

Postby Siel » Sun Jan 28 2018 8:33pm

Your tutorial the other day on how to fix battle searching with ASM made me finally realize how DISASM is to be used and how simple it looked, so I tried it out. I ended up spending an entire afternoon learning about basic assembly instructions while I fiddled with the stat gain code.

I think I saw where to change the status effect battle messages, so I guess I'll try to fix those for the hastily made Slow and Boost patches next.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force II