Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Peter is overpowered?

I do not understand how or why. Please indulge me.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby Space King » Wed Jul 25 2018 2:14am

Peter has the highest stats in the game (ignoring AGI, which does nothing since this isn't a Wizardry clone), the only one that isn't at the absolute top is Def, which is just tied with the warriors and Rick. He'll receive only chip damage from physical attacks in normal difficulty.

As a matter of efficiency, where the time you put in to get through the game is all that matters, no other character is quite as high. Zoom through the maps, kill all the things, don't have to bother with the weapon shop, never have to spend time reviving him if he dies, rank 1 character for sure. Really makes the nerfed birdmen look like poop in comparison.

The old debates over the use of the running pimento demonstrate two different mentalities. Sure, you can use it on Claude and get a 6 move melee guy who's functional identical to every Baron on your team. Or you could go all in on Peter and get this 11 move murder machine that only requires 2 turns to run through the entire map.

Fire Emblem Pitfalls touches on these ideas a bit. I'm still the guy who blew hours of my life leveling up my robot waifu in SF1.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Sun Nov 25 2018 8:20pm

Space King wrote:Peter has the highest stats in the game (ignoring AGI, which does nothing since this isn't a Wizardry clone), the only one that isn't at the absolute top is Def, which is just tied with the warriors and Rick. He'll receive only chip damage from physical attacks in normal difficulty.

I didn't find this to be the case. I tried promoting my team at level 20 only once but found they were all getting slaughtered on the fight that comes before the chess battle. I deleted that save immediately and didn't bother to continue.
Space King wrote:As a matter of efficiency, where the time you put in to get through the game is all that matters, no other character is quite as high. Zoom through the maps, kill all the things, don't have to bother with the weapon shop, never have to spend time reviving him if he dies, rank 1 character for sure. Really makes the nerfed birdmen look like poop in comparison.

He's way better than both Luke and Skreech that goes without saying. But I still don't think I could solo a later map with him without him dying.
Space King wrote:The old debates over the use of the running pimento demonstrate two different mentalities. Sure, you can use it on Claude and get a 6 move melee guy who's functional identical to every Baron on your team. Or you could go all in on Peter and get this 11 move murder machine that only requires 2 turns to run through the entire map.

I always use them on Claude and Zynk since I find them to be the only logical choices.
Space King wrote:Fire Emblem Pitfalls touches on these ideas a bit. I'm still the guy who blew hours of my life leveling up my robot waifu in SF1.

Ah yes good old Adam. I love him too. He's amazing. I found that he gets even stronger than Guntz in fact. Bleu and Adam are literally the two very best characters in SF1 stat-wise. Bleu is just straight up and downright broken. It isn't long before he can practically oneshot bosses and usually only takes 1 damage from them. Same goes for Adam.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Nov 26 2018 4:54am

Adam's amazing with the right effort. Problem is that in the time it takes to grind him up to a reasonable level so that he'll actually be useable, you can pretty much have already beaten the rest of the game.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Previous