Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Peter is overpowered?

I do not understand how or why. Please indulge me.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby Space King » Wed Jul 25 2018 2:14am

Peter has the highest stats in the game (ignoring AGI, which does nothing since this isn't a Wizardry clone), the only one that isn't at the absolute top is Def, which is just tied with the warriors and Rick. He'll receive only chip damage from physical attacks in normal difficulty.

As a matter of efficiency, where the time you put in to get through the game is all that matters, no other character is quite as high. Zoom through the maps, kill all the things, don't have to bother with the weapon shop, never have to spend time reviving him if he dies, rank 1 character for sure. Really makes the nerfed birdmen look like poop in comparison.

The old debates over the use of the running pimento demonstrate two different mentalities. Sure, you can use it on Claude and get a 6 move melee guy who's functional identical to every Baron on your team. Or you could go all in on Peter and get this 11 move murder machine that only requires 2 turns to run through the entire map.

Fire Emblem Pitfalls touches on these ideas a bit. I'm still the guy who blew hours of my life leveling up my robot waifu in SF1.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Runesamurai » Sun Nov 25 2018 8:20pm

Space King wrote:Peter has the highest stats in the game (ignoring AGI, which does nothing since this isn't a Wizardry clone), the only one that isn't at the absolute top is Def, which is just tied with the warriors and Rick. He'll receive only chip damage from physical attacks in normal difficulty.

I didn't find this to be the case. I tried promoting my team at level 20 only once but found they were all getting slaughtered on the fight that comes before the chess battle. I deleted that save immediately and didn't bother to continue.
Space King wrote:As a matter of efficiency, where the time you put in to get through the game is all that matters, no other character is quite as high. Zoom through the maps, kill all the things, don't have to bother with the weapon shop, never have to spend time reviving him if he dies, rank 1 character for sure. Really makes the nerfed birdmen look like poop in comparison.

He's way better than both Luke and Skreech that goes without saying. But I still don't think I could solo a later map with him without him dying.
Space King wrote:The old debates over the use of the running pimento demonstrate two different mentalities. Sure, you can use it on Claude and get a 6 move melee guy who's functional identical to every Baron on your team. Or you could go all in on Peter and get this 11 move murder machine that only requires 2 turns to run through the entire map.

I always use them on Claude and Zynk since I find them to be the only logical choices.
Space King wrote:Fire Emblem Pitfalls touches on these ideas a bit. I'm still the guy who blew hours of my life leveling up my robot waifu in SF1.

Ah yes good old Adam. I love him too. He's amazing. I found that he gets even stronger than Guntz in fact. Bleu and Adam are literally the two very best characters in SF1 stat-wise. Bleu is just straight up and downright broken. It isn't long before he can practically oneshot bosses and usually only takes 1 damage from them. Same goes for Adam.
Runesamurai

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Nov 26 2018 4:54am

Adam's amazing with the right effort. Problem is that in the time it takes to grind him up to a reasonable level so that he'll actually be useable, you can pretty much have already beaten the rest of the game.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Thu Dec 13 2018 7:11pm

Seeing how long it is to level him up to a decent level I stopped to upgrade Adam when all was to re-do when he grows up... He came late in game so its a bit long to level him with his low basic stats.

About Peter how to say... I hate him !
He's the fastest unit in game - he resurrects - he has insane attack and needn't any weapon - has a good life - is fire resistant and all this with nothing to "find" to get him "that strong"... Not even a mithril item or something to boost him at those very strong stats... I find him quite game breaking if you have just levelled him decently. If you boost him a bit (levelling him to 30 before growing for example) he become insane...

Samely, when starting the game (decades ago) I was intrested by Slade because he has some strengh and some weaknesses at start. So I thought, cool he'll become nice later its like a challenge to grow him up. But samely at the end he's quite "insane". Stronger in fight than other fighters with some OP item (Gisarme) and very nice attack, fastest land unit (with 7 too), very decent other stats, and best spells than mages ! Yes, mages do truly less damage in MAGIC ! . . . Ennemies have no resistance to Katon and Raijin...

Here, you got two samples of unit who have just strenghs and no really weakness... I think it can be named "overpowered". Stronger than fighter in combat, more speed all the game and no problem of terrain, truly decent in defense... Well... That's what I dislike : I find him not fun.

I find intresting characters are "some unit with some advantages but weaknesses" and so you'll have to use the "good and bad" stats of your heroes. That's how I find a "good" character (out of just the "good looking"). Claude (out of his name) is intresting because he's resistant to "hit" but weak against spells (due to low HP) that's fun ! If you use him well, he can tank damage (and I find that normal) but fear magic. He's basically slow so you "need" to compensate that... That's intresting in my mind.

Just to detail one more thing on Peter (and some "no weapon heroes") : In one level when grow up, you can win 3 attack. You can notice than every new weapon you can buy, it gives you something like 3 or 4 bonus in attack... So it means 1 level = one new item... What the use of having item, you just have to give 1-2 levels and you get the equivalent of bonus of "mithril item". If you had to find him (if he was hidden somewhere) or if you needed to give him special hidden promotion or if young it was hard to level him up... I'd say "okay its a bit too strong but thats nice to get such advantage because of difficulty to have it".
But lets try to play a game without him ? You'll see that its quite harder... (I don't say the game is hard because ennemies are quite stupid but he makes a real difference if not in game at start, truly more important than any other hero you can have at the stage you have him... And even later...).
FfuzzyLogik

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Dec 18 2018 5:33pm

Slade's weakness is his low defense, and magic points. He has the strength to be a front-line unit like other fighters, but lacks their survivability. Sure his spells are powerful compared to other mage options, but his MP doesn't support its utilization, allowing only two or maybe three casts a battle whereas wizards can keep spamming spells the entire battle. At least with Slade though, you're rewarded for your effort with a great character because prior to promotion he's nothing special. Add to it that he starts off incredibly weak, and if he falls behind (which can happen very easily) he'll stay there.

Peter, on the other hand, becomes your best character with no effort at all. It just kind of happens whether you want it to or not.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Previous