Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Detox Less Useless

also a rework of status effects and other things

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Detox Less Useless

Postby Siel » Sun Aug 19 2018 8:49pm

DetoxRemovesMoreThings.ips
In the default game, Detox only removes poison, stun, and curse, starting from levels 1, 2, and 3. This patch
adds muddle, silence, sleep, and slow removal to levels 2 and above.
WARNING: SPOILER!

BuffDebuffStatusRedux.ips
This patch changes a bunch of things:

15Range.ips
This patch validates attack ranges up to 15, but doesn't add items and spells capable of such. SF2 Editor hard caps range settings to 3, so item and spell data have to be edited elsewhere.

GisarmeReducesto1HP
Instead of being an instant kill, this patch changes the Gisarme's cut off effect to reducing the opponent's HP to 1 (does not activate if the attack would've killed the opponent normally).

NoRandomDamage.ips
This patch disables damage randomization. Attacks should always deal full damage instead of randomly dropping down, down to 80%.

NoRandomTurnOrder.ips
This patch disables AGI randomization in regards to turn order. Double-turning units also had their second turn made a bit slower (based on 50% AGI instead of 83%).

DoubleUncounterBugFix.ips
Weapons that increase double attack rate seem to reset counterattack rate to the minimum (1/32)? This patch probably fixes that.

============
Collection of patches that were added later on in the thread:

BuffDebuffStatusRedux - DesoulMaxHP Version
This patch is an alternate version of the BuffDebuffStatusRedux patch where Desoul deals damage equal to half of the target's Max HP instead of Current HP.

Guisarme Requires Half HP
Gisarme's cut off effect does not occur unless the target is at half of Max HP or below. The cut off effect itself remains the same as it was in vanilla (i.e. instant kill).

Church Speed Up
Reviving, curing, and promoting no longer require waiting until the end of the jingle each time before proceeding.

Revive and Cure Everyone at Once
When reviving and curing, instead of going through each character and each ailment individually, the priest will offer to service everyone at once for a single payment. If the player can't afford the cost or refuses the mass-service, the priest will offer to go through each character individually, which leads to going through the original game's routine. Uncursing is exempt. Text data remains unchanged and the dialogue is recycled, so it may flow awkwardly.

No Muddle 2 on Attack
Attacks that would inflict Muddle 2 (confusion) instead inflict Muddle 1 (loss of accuracy). The MUDDLE spell is unchanged.

Guaranteed Drops
Rare item drops (Taros Sword, Iron Ball) are guaranteed to drop instead of only 1/32 of the time.

Guaranteed Mithril Result
Mithril will always turn into the weapon of the highest available rank.

No Darkness
The darkness gimmick in caves is disabled (Hobgoblin battle, cave before Ketto).

Curse Relief
Curse doesn't randomly prevent action or cause recoil damage anymore. The restriction on unequipping cursed items is still present.

Healing EXP for Everyone
Healing EXP is awarded regardless of the character's class.

Lower Evasion Rates
Base evasion rate is lowered from 3.125% to 0.833%. Merely floating units no longer gain the evasion rate of flying units (12.5%).

Items Break Less Often
Items crack 10% of the time instead of 25%.

Halve Repair Fee
Repairing costs 12.5% instead of 25% of the item's value.

Halve Uncurse Fee
Uncursing costs 12.5% instead of 25% of the item's value.

L i t t l e m o n e y (via selling)
Resale value of items is lowered from 75% to 12.5%.

Detox Also Heals
Detox Also Heals, But Doesn't Grant Detox EXP
In addition to having the same changes as the DetoxRemovesMoreThings patch, these patches make the DETOX spell also heal based on its "effect" value. The first patch has DETOX grant both healing and detox EXP (10+5=15 EXP) for the action while the second patch omits the detox portion (just 10 EXP).

Agility Affects Evasion
Evasion rates are affected by the comparison between the attacker and defender's agility stats. Baseline evasion is increased from 1/32 to 1/24.

Last edited by Siel on Sat Feb 16 2019 9:55pm, edited 5 times in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Detox Less Useless

Postby Wiz » Mon Aug 20 2018 2:15pm

Great new batch of contributions, thank you Siel ! :D

Hopefully I'll find the time to create the appropriate tools at some point to overcome the limitations you identified in SF2Editor. :)
Wiz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Thu Aug 23 2018 7:00am

That sounds awesome. I'd sure like something more easily navigatable than tiny drop-down lists everywhere, too, although I've recently found out that the import feature from SirHedge's version is pretty convenient for bypassing that issue to some degree.

Edit (AUG28): The 14range patch apparently breaks item usage, so I'll try to redo it when I get the time. I actually originally intended it to be a 15range patch, but ran out of space, so I might take the opportunity to upgrade it in that regard too.

Edit2 (AUG29): I reuploaded a fixed version of the 14range patch that doesn't hang upon using an item and that actually goes up to 15 range.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SirHedge » Sat Sep 08 2018 2:26am

Hey Siel! Glad to see you're still around. This (and all the amazing stuff Wiz has done) really makes me want to get back into hacking again. Still don't know when I'll have the time, given my other projects, but it really needs to happen. I have a game to finish!

Also, I still have the source code for Space King's SF2Edit, for those interested.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Siel » Sun Sep 16 2018 2:43am

I'm still looking forward to your game, so do notify me if there are any major updates.

I've recently been working on a mod of my own too. In fact, all these patches I've been churning out lately are just byproducts from it!

As for the patches themselves, here are some issues/bugs I realized they have.
DetoxRemovesMoreThings: It might be sometimes displaying unnecessary messages without having actually removed the corresponding status, but I haven't verified this.

BuffDebuffStatusRedux: According to the description, the new SLEEP shouldn't randomly run out at the end of each turn and instead always last 3 turns, but it looks like I forgot to actually include this behavior change in the patch. I might just leave it as is. I actually had it included after all.

The other patches seem to working properly without issues so far.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Wed Dec 12 2018 5:33pm

Hello there just a plop to give some opinions about the things done if those thoughts are of use...
DETOX : I find some ideas very intresting. The frist one is for sure because at first levels, detox is not very useful...
ATTACK : Very nice, +25% every level its cool but not insane (37,5 is a bit too much and 12,5 quite weak on "equipped" characters)
BOOST : Perfect for the +25% for 3 turns. But why not stand the agility bonus ? Okay it just makes you be better tank but the other use of "boost" is to "play again" at a critical moment. May it be possible to "recycle" some other spell to make a "QUICK" spell to imporve the agility of members ?
SLEEP : Can be recalled "weakness" or something like that. That's intresting, you don't "kill ennemy" but weaken it to stand. Just a question, it will work the same for "sleeping ablities" ?
DESOUL : I'd suggest just doing half of max HP ? So it can "do nothing" or "make half of life damage" ? Then you can "kill ennemies". I raaaaaarely use this spell but find fun to have a such one in game.
GISARME : For Slade, I suggest the Gisarme do something similar because its fun to "cut-off" ennemies ! Maybe let it work "only if he has less than 50% HP" ?

Anyways thanks for making new things ! Have a good day,
FfuzzyLogik.
FfuzzyLogik

Postby Siel » Tue Dec 18 2018 11:26am

Okay, here are some alternate versions of those patches with the changes you mentioned and some new ones.

BuffDebuffStatusRedux_desoulMaxHP.ips
This patch is the same as the one in the opening post, except Desoul deals damage equal to half of the target's MaxHP instead of CurrentHP.

GisarmeRequiresHalfHP.ips
Gisarme's cut off effect does not occur unless the target is at half of Max HP or below. The cut off effect itself remains the same as it was in vanilla (i.e. instant kill).

----------

No Muddle 2 on Attack
Attacks that would inflict Muddle 2 (confusion) instead inflict Muddle 1 (loss of accuracy). The MUDDLE spell is unchanged.

Guaranteed Drops
Rare item drops (Taros Sword, Iron Ball) are guaranteed to drop instead of only 1/32 of the time.

Mithril Always Best Weapon
Mithril will always turn into the weapon of the highest available rank.

No Darkness
The darkness gimmick in caves is disabled (Hobgoblin battle, cave before Ketto).

Curse Relief
Curse doesn't randomly prevent action or cause recoil damage anymore. The restriction on unequipping cursed items is still present.

Healing EXP for Everyone
Healing EXP is awarded regardless of the character's class.

Lower Evasion Rates
Base evasion rate is lowered from 3.125% to 0.833%. Merely floating units no longer gain the evasion rate of flying units (12.5%).

Items Break Less Often
Items crack 10% of the time instead of 25%.

Halve Repair Fee
Repairing costs 12.5% instead of 25% of the item's value.

Halve Uncurse Fee
Uncursing costs 12.5% instead of 25% of the item's value.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Tue Dec 18 2018 10:20pm

Can I suggest a patch idea? I dont know if its possible, but change the revive routine, to revive all dead character at once, with only a paycheck and just a text speech from the priest. It would be a time saver. Maybe do the same with cure option.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Tue Dec 18 2018 11:06pm

I don't think I'd be able to make a generic patch for that. The functionality itself is probably simple enough to implement, but dialogue changes would be needed to make it comprehensible to the player and any change to one section of text displaces the rest of the data, which brings out compatibility issues.

However, here's an alternative that might solve the time issue.

Church Speed Up
Reviving, curing, and promoting no longer require waiting until the end of the jingle each time before proceeding.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Tue Dec 18 2018 11:08pm

Good evening !
Nice to have some activity. My posts just came yesterday ; I'm allowed to post now (for the worst for sure - I'm evil :evilgrin: ).
Just some ideas (no need to make patches for all but thanks to give to community such things done).

- Muddle lv1 and lv2 having very different effects, it can be thought to make them two different "spells" or abilities ? This shall increase the number of spells/abilities.
- I just begin on there so I'm quite newbie but seeing spells, I noticed that sleep/muddle/slow... Look to exist from level 1 to 4. But, the other levels (not used in game normally) are "healing spells who uses sprite of fairies healing". The first kind of spell in tree. So it can be tought about making them "work" to increase the number of spells and make for example "sleep" be more of use ? But as I'm newbie, I don't know how to change those spells from "healing spells" to "offensive spells" and I'm not sure if once changed they will work. Maybe you know ? :idea:
- You look to know about curses effet. If I dislike the stunning effet, I find "fun" the counter-attack effect (damaging you in counterpart) but I don't know exactly how it works. It does a percentage of damage done in counterpart ?
- Other thing, as money is "not of use" because you have "too much" and "too easily"... I thought about making the money more "important in game". I thought about the sold is 1/8 instead of 1/2 (the mearchants buy you items to 50% value, its quite "too much" I find). So then the cost of new items shall be hardter to have ; making the bought of new ones more "challenging".
- Nice idea for uncurse fee. A bit expensive I find. The solution I choosed is to change price of cursed item and basically it does quite the same. I'm not fond of repar fee because its not too expensive I find ; samely for breaking probability. But everyone may not find the same ! So thanks again for those patches !

Ah, for detox (that doesn't work but I tested with only SFII editor), I initially thought to add some light healing effect to it (like aura but weaker). So it could be a "healing spell" who also "detox". This is a way to make it "more of use" ? But actually, the values aren't used and so it can't heal in just adding values on "effect". Maybe it can be some idea... Up to you. Opinion's welcome here ! :shifty:

Do you have some objectives in general ? I thought making a new SFII mod ?
Good night,
FfuzzyLogik

Postby Siel » Wed Dec 19 2018 12:35am

More spells, more levels: Unfortunately, it looks like the limit on the number of spells and levels is somewhat hardcoded. That is to say, the block of data for spells is immediately followed by another block (item names), which makes it difficult to expand on. A workaround could be to just relocate it elsewhere with more free space. Anyway, here's a thread that discussed adding more spell levels:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19525

Changing spell effects: At 0xB0BC to 0xB113 in the ROM, there's a table that redirects each spell to the location of its effect, which can be edited to reassign spell effects. Every two bytes corresponds to one type of spell (i.e. the first two are for Heal, the next two are for Aura, the next two are for Detox, etc). For example, to switch Heal to Blaze's effect, count up to Blaze's pair, note down the values, and overwrite Heal's pair of values with them. This will make Heal refer to Blaze's spell routine instead while still using Heal's settings. There's unfortunately not an editor for this, so it'll be cumbersome to do manually via a hex editor.

Curse damage: There's a 50%? chance of taking recoil damage after an attack. The recoil damage is equal to 12.5% of the damage dealt.

Sell price:
Little Money
Resale value of items is lowered from 75% to 12.5%.

Detox healing:
Detox Also Heals
Detox Also Heals, But Doesn't Grant Detox EXP
These patches are the same as the one in the opening post, except Detox also heals based on its Effect value. The first patch grants healing+detox EXP (10+5→15) for the action while the second patch omits the detox portion (just 10).

Objective: Most of these patches were just byproducts of changes I made for my own mod, which can be found here. It's incomplete and slightly abandoned, but I'm thinking of returning to it sometime. It's only been edited up to the Zalbard battle, but can be played until the end, just without battle formation changes (stats of enemies themselves are changed) and new items past that point (for example, I had planned for a staff weapon that extends spell range by 1 and maybe lifesteal weapons).
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Wed Dec 19 2018 10:42pm

Talking about the revive routine again, im pretty sure you can use almost the same text but instead of {Name} use "force" or any word with the same amount of characters. How much space the tag of character name uses? Even if you dont change the text, could you do it sometime please? I can try to make up a text with the same amount of characters later.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Thu Dec 20 2018 12:17am

Siel, it looks you make patches faster than we write :shock:
I read posts you linked with intrest. I read one of them before but wasn't nor remembering all nor understanding all at the time I had it under my eyes.
So if I understand well, the spells does "exist" in list but have no spot in "spell effects". Those spots are limited and can't easily be more than it is actually (without very high amout of work to change it).

So basically, the "easier to do" is thinking about "what spells are/may be the more intresting in game" and increase the slots for them ?
For diminishing the decrease of slots, I have a question : do the items effect take one "spell space" too ? Just for thinking... For example, quick chicken, blizzard, shining ball, burst rock, the "restore effect", "mana steal" (the supply staff one and it does exist some other if I remember well, right of hope (who don't really "exist" in game and is a bit OP)...

One other thought, on every "hard mode" in general, ennemies are full of HP, more tanky, more strong... And the "only technique" to win is... Boost ally (because this spell is quite OP), attract ennemies (1 or 2 or 3), hope to tank their damage and kill them 12 vs 3. And repeat. Instead of increasing "difficulty" I find it "just" increase time necessary to win. I have no "perfect" solution (out of increasing IA's efficience) but as idea, I thought about decreasing the power of boost (who gives reaaaaly tons of XP for free and costless in mana) and imagine some spells can be of use against some ennemies (as told, sleep level 2-3, muddle level 3) to give ability to "get time" during fights and not necessarily just cast "boost and aura" (who heals too much I find) to hold and "freeze-bolt" to kill.

I also thought to make the hero "less strong" (in damage and in defense) but play twice per "turn". I tryed to give him 105 agility but... That doesn't work. I hoped that added "by hand" at start it shall work how it does for ennemies (you see written 5 and ennemy plays twice a round) but nope, for shining force that doesn't work.

I also thought about making agility "useful" because here its really not (I find).
I had in mind this :
Calculate difference between attacker and defender agiltiy. If this difference is important you get increased probability to hit as attacker (decreasing the probability for ennemy to evade).
For 20 bonus as attacker, defender's evade rate goes from : 1/4=>1/6 ; 1/8=>1/12 ; 1/16 => 1/24 ; 1/32 =>same.
If you get 40 difference, defender's evade rate goes from : 1/4=>1/8 ; 1/8=>1/16 ; 1/16 => 1/32 ; 1/32 =>same.
If you get 60 difference, defender's evade rate goes from : 1/4=>1/12 ; 1/8=>1/24 ; 1/16 => 1/32 ; 1/32 =>same.
Oppositely, if you have more agility in defense than attacker, you get increased probability of dodge.
For 10 extra agility in defense : 1/32 => 1/24 ; 1/16 => 1/12 ; 1/8 => 1/6 ; 1/4 => 1/4 ?
For 30 extra agility in defense : 1/32 => 1/16 ; 1/16 => 1/8 ; 1/8 => 1/4 ; 1/4 => 1/3
For 50 extra agility in defense : 1/32 => 1/8 ; 1/16 => 1/6 ; 1/8 => 1/3 ; 1/4 => 1/2
Last thing (for bosses don't always evade) if a "creature" have for example 115 of agility, let it count as "15" (as written) but play twice per turn.
What do you think about this idea ? For sure, doing that looks quite impossible.
I'll search some other idea to make it of use differently but that truly bother me to see that characteristic so useless... The only moment it's of use it when cast boost (so your agi increases and you may play again before ennemy, making boost more powerful...).
Ah just one other idea : it may influence spell effects maybe ?

About your mod, I watched the spoilers ! Yes I did that :evilgrin: !
I haven't understood well the items. It looks they are all diffrent but not "some more strong than others" (out of first one) ? Not sure the attack bonus is well written ?
You increased life by many - so levels change a bit less your power. I suppose its to not have some +2 in defense makes ennemy does 1 damage to you ?
It looks spells have been changed in many ways. That looks intresting ; you tested it (for equilibration) ? Personnaly I'm not fond of "damaging one unit and do insane damage" (like freeze, bolt, blaze lv4 in standard game). I prefer see mages as zone damaging... You made more kind of mages but I don't see well what "it is" for now. I'll try to give feedbacks later... I'm tired... :(

That's all for today. See you.
FfuzzyLogik

Postby Siel » Thu Dec 20 2018 11:08pm

Church: The dialogue problem ended up more minor than expected. The priest connects into "but" clauses out of nowhere, but the feature seems intuitive enough on its own.

Revive and Cure Everyonce at Once
When reviving and curing, instead of going through each character and each ailment individually, the priest will offer to service everyone at once for a single payment. If the player can't afford the cost or refuses the mass-service, the priest will offer to go through each character individually, which leads to going through the original game's routine. Uncursing is exempt. Text data remains unchanged and the dialogue is recycled, so it may flow awkwardly.

Evasion: There are no 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32 settings for evasion rates like there are for countering and doubling, so I couldn't follow what you proposed but tentatively made up something similar based on that.

Agility Modifies Evasion
Agility Modifies Evasion - Fixed Version
Evasion rates are affected by the comparison between the attacker and defender's agility stats. Baseline evasion is increased from 1/32 to 1/24.

Mod:

edit: replaced link to broken patch with the functional version
Last edited by Siel on Sat Feb 16 2019 9:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Fri Dec 21 2018 11:37am

Wow thank you very much!
I think you deserve more recognition, maybe organize all your mods on a more organized topic, or make a awesome mod and release on steam.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Fri Dec 21 2018 4:27pm

Woooow :D
Siel wrote:Church: The dialogue problem ended up more minor than expected. The priest connects into "but" clauses out of nowhere, but the feature seems intuitive enough on its own.

Evasion: There are no 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32 settings for evasion rates like there are for countering and doubling, so I couldn't follow what you proposed but tentatively made up something similar based on that.

Agility Modifies Evasion

Sorry about my mistake on evasion ; I had the probability of second attack, heavy attack & counter attack in mind so I start from the wrong base... But you correct all... I feel a biiiiiit useless :envy: And you even thought about something for flyers... :shock:
Again I have to thank you and for your activity, your efficience and your reactivity.
FfuzzyLogik

Postby DiegoMM » Sat Dec 22 2018 1:34pm

Another idea for your mod: If magic users counter magic with magic? I know its somehow possible, but the hard part would be it happens only when you have the same spell that hit you. So, counter blaze with blaze, freeze with freeze.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Sat Dec 22 2018 3:55pm

Fun fact: the automatic counter patch I made originally had double-attacking units also be able to counter magic with magic. I originally decided to just run with it as a feature (partially because those enemies had MP anyway), but eventually decided to fix it. The outdated version 6 of the patch probably still has this bug.

Checking if the would-be counter-er has the spell learned is probably going to require a lot of empty coding space, but shouldn't be too complicated, so I could probably be able to make a patch like that, but I don't think I'd want to include it in my mod. The general idea is that while physical attackers can counterattack and get counterattacked, magic cheats and is outside of that loop. It's also late to make such a big balance change.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Sat Dec 22 2018 6:47pm

I see. I dont have interest in such patch too, it was just a idea for your mod.

Another idea for you: If theres any unused character in the game font, you could change to symbols to represent the "roles" like full counter, attack first, double attack (i dont know, two swords, a triangle) and put it in the enemy/character names. It would be visually possible to know in game that slades ignore defense or some enemy has double attack.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Sat Dec 22 2018 10:51pm

Oh yeah, I was going to rename unused items and change their icons to use them like that, but since I wasn't sure what would remain unused or if I'd have enough items left or would need another method, I hadn't done it yet.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Next

Return to Shining Force II