Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Detox Less Useless

also a rework of status effects and other things

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Detox Less Useless

Postby Siel » Sun Aug 19 2018 8:49pm

DetoxRemovesMoreThings.ips
In the default game, Detox only removes poison, stun, and curse, starting from levels 1, 2, and 3. This patch
adds muddle, silence, sleep, and slow removal to levels 2 and above.
WARNING: SPOILER!

BuffDebuffStatusRedux.ips
This patch changes a bunch of things:

15Range.ips
This patch validates attack ranges up to 15, but doesn't add items and spells capable of such. SF2 Editor hard caps range settings to 3, so item and spell data have to be edited elsewhere.

GisarmeReducesto1HP
Instead of being an instant kill, this patch changes the Gisarme's cut off effect to reducing the opponent's HP to 1 (does not activate if the attack would've killed the opponent normally).

NoRandomDamage.ips
This patch disables damage randomization. Attacks should always deal full damage instead of randomly dropping down, down to 80%.

NoRandomTurnOrder.ips
This patch disables AGI randomization in regards to turn order. Double-turning units also had their second turn made a bit slower (based on 50% AGI instead of 83%).

DoubleUncounterBugFix.ips
Weapons that increase double attack rate seem to reset counterattack rate to the minimum (1/32)? This patch probably fixes that.
Last edited by Siel on Wed Aug 29 2018 10:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Detox Less Useless

Postby Wiz » Mon Aug 20 2018 2:15pm

Great new batch of contributions, thank you Siel ! :D

Hopefully I'll find the time to create the appropriate tools at some point to overcome the limitations you identified in SF2Editor. :)
Wiz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Thu Aug 23 2018 7:00am

That sounds awesome. I'd sure like something more easily navigatable than tiny drop-down lists everywhere, too, although I've recently found out that the import feature from SirHedge's version is pretty convenient for bypassing that issue to some degree.

Edit (AUG28): The 14range patch apparently breaks item usage, so I'll try to redo it when I get the time. I actually originally intended it to be a 15range patch, but ran out of space, so I might take the opportunity to upgrade it in that regard too.

Edit2 (AUG29): I reuploaded a fixed version of the 14range patch that doesn't hang upon using an item and that actually goes up to 15 range.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SirHedge » Sat Sep 08 2018 2:26am

Hey Siel! Glad to see you're still around. This (and all the amazing stuff Wiz has done) really makes me want to get back into hacking again. Still don't know when I'll have the time, given my other projects, but it really needs to happen. I have a game to finish!

Also, I still have the source code for Space King's SF2Edit, for those interested.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Siel » Sun Sep 16 2018 2:43am

I'm still looking forward to your game, so do notify me if there are any major updates.

I've recently been working on a mod of my own too. In fact, all these patches I've been churning out lately are just byproducts from it!

As for the patches themselves, here are some issues/bugs I realized they have.
DetoxRemovesMoreThings: It might be sometimes displaying unnecessary messages without having actually removed the corresponding status, but I haven't verified this.

BuffDebuffStatusRedux: According to the description, the new SLEEP shouldn't randomly run out at the end of each turn and instead always last 3 turns, but it looks like I forgot to actually include this behavior change in the patch. I might just leave it as is. I actually had it included after all.

The other patches seem to working properly without issues so far.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force II