Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Detox Less Useless

also a rework of status effects and other things

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Detox Less Useless

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Dec 23 2018 12:47pm

Is a even better solution than mine. But where you should display the icon? In magic part? Is it possible to use in the same spot that the 2 jewels are displayed in bowie status screen?
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Fri Feb 01 2019 1:39am

Oops, I had another look at the Agility Affects Evasion patch and figured out why it doesn't work properly: I accidentally deleted one line of code too many when I was taking out stuff I used for debug testing before creating the patcher (which is also why debug mode never showed anything wrong despite the actual patch's dysfunctionality). This resulted in the RNG check using garbage data or, more precisely, the defender's unit ID instead of the intended evasion value. Bowie, being ID 0, thus had abnormally high rates of dodging (i.e. 100%).

Anyway, here's the fixed version of the patch AgilityAffectsEvasion_fixed
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Sun Feb 10 2019 10:30pm

Hello there.
Thank you for update Siel ! :thumbsup: (This smilies don't look to smile but... I smile !)

I was thinking a bit about some spells changes. First of all, I find spells who makes somehting else than "damage" or "heal" intresting. It increases strategy !
So spells like boost, slow, muddle, sleep... Are intresting to change a bit game's playstyle and possibilites to "win" some part of fight.

Comparing boost and slow (the old one) is easy... Boost is quite OP and slow a bit shitty... (for the ones who think so, useless to read demonstration :( ).
- First, experience. "Bonuses" spells all have the great advantage to "not miss" so you have many experience in doing them. You can even "cheat" in a way making "infinite levels" quite easily. Second... You can place your troops how required to use spell on many of your members... Ennemies won't group for you can cast "slow on them" for example.
- Second, effect. You can miss ennemies, you cannot miss allies. So even if you slow great amount of ennemies, it normally not work on all of them.
- Third, why not hit ? If you hit or you cast damaging spell, as the game is done, except for boss (who're quite immune to decreasing spells), you'll two hit/spell them generally. So if one of your troop just waste turn to "slow" and not do damage nor heal, its quite a dangerous waste of turn... If you boost, you can have some chances to "play faster" than opponent and all ally will resist and you needn't to go close of ennemies (with your caster who's quite weak in general case).

That said, I have some ideas... To make them more "of use"...
How you made "slow"a "slowing" spell (who's actually sleep) is quite nice... If you add this with a patch giving ability to "spell or shoot" from very far, that shall be good. But if spells are quite "close" (as it actually is in game) what's the use of doing a slow spell who decreases moove speed if you place a spellcaster not far from ennemies ? He'll be the focus of the "slowed" ennemy... And notice than there is a possibility for him to not be slowed... So, as usual, slow risk to be out of use...
The idea is : make slow decreases more the speed ? So if speed is drastically decreased (lets say 0% speed first turn, then 25% then 50% for example - round down), the unit will be rooted the first turn, so the mage can flee then the slow continues and ennemy will not have good initiative. The spell shall be stronger ?
For this spell, increasing the rate of working shall not be OP aswell ?

=> So the "slow" spell will really "slow" in all its definitions (speed and agility) : -25% agility all the time ; speed reduced by 100%, 75%, 50%.
=> For the "sleep" spell maybe the "weakening attack" you made + the effect of muddle lv1 ? -25% attack all turns and "muddle 1" (so loss more accuracy). [So maybe make muddle do "muddle 2" at all levels]
=> And for "boost" spell : I thought about rename it "stone skin" and increase defense but decrease agility ? +25% Def and -25% agi (for 3 turns as usual). Maybe gives less experience as it can't fail ?
What do you think about that ?

I hope I don't bother you with useless ideas... Have a good night.
FfuzzyLogik

Postby Siel » Sat Feb 16 2019 9:19pm

If you want spells with longer range, there's the 15range patch in the opening post. Otherwise, here you go:

Buff Debuff Status Redux - Root Stoneskin Blind version
This patch contains the same changes as the one in the opening post, but with these differences:
BOOST (Stoneskin): decreases AGI by 25% in addition to increasing DEF by 25%
SLOW (Root): decreases AGI by 25% and MOV by 100/75/50% instead of decreasing DEF
SLEEP (Blind?): confers MUDDLE's accuracy penalty in addition to decreasing ATK by 25%, but without affecting MOV
MUDDLE: either level of the spell has MUDDLE 2's effect

And while I was at it, I fixed a minor issue in the original patch:

Buff Debuff Status Redux - fix
correction: BOOST's message now displays the proper DEF value
known discrepancy: SLEEP's message mentions AGI instead of ATT being reduced (there's no dialogue for reduced ATT in the original text bank)
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Tue Feb 19 2019 11:40pm

Thanks alot Siel but I was giving ideas, hoping they are of use to you !
I'm actually working on stats and graphics, soonly I'll work on spells equilibration and items. I hope to advance on end of the week on that... As usual its time consuming...
Someone knows where we can buy time ?
Just an idea if you wish use text "existing" you can use attack's one maybe and with "-" : "attack is increased by -25%" even if its not "increased" players shall know what it does easily. For my own use, its perfect even if text don't display the right sentences...
You made nice patches but are these ideas of use to you ?
May I do something for you ? If you need something I can with my very poor level...
Have good knight ! (It helps to sleep well, good protection :P)
FfuzzyLogik

Postby Siel » Fri Feb 22 2019 1:36am

Well, I'm not particularly looking for ideas for my own use, but I'll try to fulfill requests or suggestions as they come. Hopefully someone can make something out of these.

As for the message, the only thing manipulable without changing the actual text bank is the number being displayed, which doesn't include the ability to add a negative sign.

Also, good luck with your mod. I'm admittedly getting burnt out on Shining Force from replaying 1 and 2 so much, especially after making and repeatedly testing my own mods, but I do like to at least take a peek at whatever new comes in.
SF1CL v2.1.1
SF2CA v1.0.4
SF1CL v2.1.1
SF2CA v1.0.4
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Force II