Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Detox Less Useless

also a rework of status effects and other things

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Detox Less Useless

Postby Red_Shine » Sat May 18 2019 8:20am

What an amazing batch of customizable modifications!
Way to go Siel!
I take can can all be safely consolidated, barring, of course, cases where different tweak patches for the same parameter or value would conflict each other?
Red_Shine

Postby Siel » Sat May 18 2019 6:02pm

Yup. IIRC the only ones that badly mess each other up are the entire BuffDebuffStatusRedux family with each other, GisarmeReducesto1HP & GisarmeRequiresHalfHP, and TarosSwordLooksLikeBroadSword & TarosSwordLooksLikeGreatSword.

There are also DetoxAlsoHeals & its variant that affect the same thing, but they overwrite each other completely, so there's no issue using one after the other (although it'd be pointless to).
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedArcher » Sat May 18 2019 8:55pm

Thanks for the amazing work, Siel! These patches definitely will come in handy.
RedArcher

Postby Red_Shine » Sun May 19 2019 5:28am

Definitely. If I could combine these with a graphical upgrade patch similar to the one Erikin84 made for SF1, it would give me incentive to play SF2 again haha.
Red_Shine

Postby Guy Jepson » Sun Jun 09 2019 6:27pm

Dear Mr. Siel sir,
Thank you for all your hard work. If I could make a small request; could you make a mod where all the success rates for ailment spells are high? like 75 or 87.5%?
Siel wrote:Here you go: a variant with only status spell accuracy increased. Desoul and Sleep retain their debilitating vanilla effects, so I left their success rates unchanged.

Ailment Spell Accuracy Up

Success rate changes:
WARNING: SPOILER!

I ended up setting the rates a bit differently from the original patch and I also made SLOW/BOOST/ATTACK reset their duration instead of failing when they're already applied.

If you'd instead like a version without the latter change or with again different success rates, feel free to request it, or you can further edit this patch's values yourself with a hex editor like this:

edit: made it clearer that the above guide is based on the patch instead of vanilla

For the base game instead, here's another guide:

I'm in the midst of testing my own custom rom and would very much like to implement more of your mods. I fear I may be to dumb to use a hex editor! :confused:
Guy Jepson

Postby Siel » Mon Jun 10 2019 12:17am

The patch you quoted already increases most ailment success rates to 75~87% and the guide is just for supplementary changes. If you actually meant you want a patch where everything is increased, including the likes of desoul and confusion, then here:

Ailment Spell Accuracy Up: All-Version
This patch does the same thing as the previous patch, but it also increases Muddle 2, Desoul, and Sleep success rates.

Further editing guide in the same vein as the previous one:
Last edited by Siel on Mon Jun 10 2019 12:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Guy Jepson » Mon Jun 10 2019 12:25am

Siel,

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I wanted. I always felt that the success rate ailment spells should be much higher all around since they use magic points, a turn, rarely hit more than two opponents, and don't directly kill anyway (with the exception of desoul of course). This will prevent players from simply saving before they cast a spell and resetting until they get the best results, leading to a more free-flowing organic style game play.

Since you seem quite knowledgeable about all things mod, have you heard anywhere about a mod that gives battle sprites to the Iron Ball?

Anyhoo, Thanks again!
Guy Jepson

Postby Siel » Mon Jun 10 2019 12:32am

I haven't heard of such a mod, but the visible Taros Sword patch could be tweaked to also alter the Iron Ball and I figure a suitable weapon sprite can be made for it by copy-pasting from Cameela's sprite. I don't know how animating it would go, though.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Guy Jepson » Tue Jun 11 2019 5:53am

Hey Siel.

So dig this. I applied your patch to my rom and fought the Harpy battle. Through some luck Kazin was able to cast Muddle2 on a large group of enemies. Muddle2's area of effect is the same as Bolt2's in my rom. I saved right before I used the spell on the mass of enemies thinking that if there is a 75% success rate for Muddle2 then 3/4ths of the enemies should be affected. I used Space King's sf2 editor to make sure all the monsters in the game besides bosses have no resistance to any ailments. I repeated the experiment about twenty-ish times and of the eight enemies in the area of effect only half of them were affected at best. I got those results maybe two or three times. Most of the time it only affected three enemies, sometimes less.

Strange right? Could you speculate as to what's going on? Is it my math? Something with the monsters? Some code error?

Also, I downloaded Hex Workshop to try to take a stab at hex editing. I thought I could try adjusting the failure rates to 12.5% for all the spells and repeat the experiment to see if I got different results (I'm assuming that 0% failure rate is an impossibility). I DID attempt it and I think I found the... things (like B4F2 for Muddle2 for example)... I'm supposed to change but ultimately realized I was way in over my head and gave up. I simply don't know how to, "change the values of the addresses above to one of these hexadecimal values."

I really don't mean to bother you but any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. You seem like a nice helpful kind of guy.
Guy Jepson

Postby Siel » Tue Jun 11 2019 9:05pm

Here's a fixed version of the patch:
Ailment Spell Accuracy Up: All-Version v2

It looks I messed up: I made Muddle 1 behave as the intended Muddle 2 with 75% hit rate (friendly-fire effect included) and left Muddle 2 with its original 37% hit rate. This updated version gives back both spells their intended effects and hit rates. The rest of the spells seem to be fine (Muddle's tree just happened to be more complicated than the others').

This mix up likely confused your hex editing ventures, so give it a try again! As for a 0% failure rate, I guess I should've thought of including that option, but it is possible: replace both the "base chance of failure" byte and its following byte by 4E71. For example, in Muddle 2's case, at B4F2 and B4F3, replacing 5442 with 4E71 will make it have a base failure rate of 0%. (more concretely, what this does is replacing an addition with a blank instruction, effectively acting as a +0 instruction)

edit: I made a made a new patch that has status spells read from their spell power to calculate their failure rate. This makes their failure rates customizable from the SF2 Editor instead of having to go through a cumbersome hex editor. I also separated the buffs-refresh-duration-instead-of-failing effect into its own patch.

Status Spell Accuracy Based on Power
Attack Boost Slow Refresh Duration Instead of Failing

This patch makes all status spells behave like this:

Spell power values themselves have been left untouched. This means that, by default, status spells will have 100% success rates (0% failure) regardless of resistance after applying this patch except for SLOW, which for some reason has its spell power set to 15, which means it'll always fail (if it doesn't fulfill its exception's requirement). ATTACK and BOOST remain unaffected by their spell power.

editedit: the feature that nulls enemy resistance is breaking some unrelated checks, such as muddle1 not failing when muddle2 is already in play, or Bright Honey not failing on a user without MP
editeditedit: fixed the above

There still might be other issues I haven't caught, so, if you're comfortable with hex editors anyway, it might be safer to just use and customize the previous Accuracy Up patches.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Guy Jepson » Wed Jun 12 2019 5:28am

Siel!

Muchas gracias! I can't wait to dive into these patches and try some things out for myself.

Fun little story: Before I read your reply I decided to attempt hex editing again. On the Orc battle I saved right before I hit 2 enemies with MUDDLE2 and experimented with the success rate. I got just over 50%ish. I entered Hex Workshop and I scrolled down and found B4F2 which I assumed was tied to MUDDLE2. I right clicked on it and offseted the value by 52. I loaded up my game and tried the experiment again. My results were much much closer to 75%ish or 85.5%ish (I wasn't actually writing it down or calculating it)!

Did I do it right? Am I a Hex Editor now?

Again, thank you for helping me with everything.

Very cool, Siel, very cool.

Edit: I found a link in a different thread by SirHedge that give a basic tutorial about hex editing. I'm studying it now. I'll provide the link in case some other lost soul like me is curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik0RweE ... detailpage
Guy Jepson

Postby projectego » Thu Jun 20 2019 1:46pm

I am so thrilled so see your are still kindly producing these incredible patches, Siel. Thank you for your efforts. And those were some great suggestions, Guy! :)

Edit: Siel, if you are able to find the time, I would love to humbly request a 'Curse Relief' patch which disables the 'stun' effect but retains the original recoil damage, if possible, please.

Also, with regards to the 'Monsters and Magic' patch which sounds genuinely very exciting - for Claude's special attack, does Dao's sprite appear during the attack animation, or just the earth rising animation? I currently do not have an opportunity to test this.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

(Romans 12:1-2)
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Fri Jun 21 2019 3:13am

Curse Paralysis Relief
Curse no longer causes its "stun" effect in battle. Its other effects (such as inability to unequip and recoil damage) are untouched.

The "Monsters and Magic" patch is not mine and is actually made by ronnen. I haven't used it, but I assume he just linked directly to the Dao spell as if Claude had cast it, which would include everything animation-wise.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Tue Jun 25 2019 9:21am

Thank you very much, Siel. And apologies for the confusion with the 'Monsters and Magic' patch - appears to be a result of some folder mismanagement, on my part.

I'm very eager to start testing a mod which includes your 'Ailment Spell Accuracy Up' patch. I'm still overjoyed to read about the additional QOL improvements you threw in there. I just wanted to ask quickly before moving on, does this patch include the same Muddle 1/2 issue(s) that were fixed in the 'Ailment Spell Accuracy Up: All-Version v2' patch?

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Tue Jun 25 2019 10:57am

Nope, the former is safe from the latter's issue, since I only had to touch Muddle 1's portion of the code (instead of attempting to restructure both and mixing them up).

edit: Here's a simplified in-depth explanation of the mixup for anyone interested:
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Thu Jun 27 2019 9:53am

Siel, thank you for your attentiveness. If I may ask, when you were determining increased success rates for the status effects in the 'Ailment Spell Accuracy Up' patch, what made you decide to retain the original Muddle 2 values? I personally find your values to be very solid, but I'm wondering if perhaps I should up the Muddle 2 success values to be more inline with Muddle 1.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Guy Jepson » Thu Jun 27 2019 1:11pm

Hey, how about a mod that ups the amount of MP stolen when using the very useless spell,"MAGIC DRAIN"??

Does a mod already exist for this??

I have it set right now to the same range and area of effect as BOLT2 and its pretty great, but it would be a fantastic spell if it drained more magic!
Guy Jepson

Postby Siel » Thu Jun 27 2019 8:32pm

re: reason behind muddle 1&2
While Muddle 1 merely causes a drop in physical accuracy, Muddle 2 additionally induces a loss of control in the target and turns them against their allies, so I deemed it more in line with the likes of Desoul and Sleep instead of softer effects like Dispel and Slow.

Magic Drain's potency can be edited like this:

Alternatively, here's a patch that removes Magic Drain's randomness and allows setting a base amount to drain higher than 8 (incidentally it also sets this amount to 20):
MP Drain is 20
B5E5: amount to drain (20 by default)

And here's another one that makes Magic Drain drain an amount equal to its Lv1 spell power and also removes the randomness:
Magic Drain Based on Spell Power

(Randomness would ideally have been kept optional instead of being removed in these patches, but I couldn't figure out how to condense the code into the default space available without taking it out.)
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Mon Jul 01 2019 12:29pm

Siel, thank you for your efforts so far. It is greatly appreciated. I'm very eager to continue further refining the success rates, and also to perhaps make more enemies susceptible to status effects via the SF2 Editor tool by Space King. However, I have had some difficulties determining just what the 'Minor Resist' and 'Major Resist' values accomplish; these settings are visible under the 'Other Resist' section in the editor.

I realise that this question is diverging from the purpose of this thread, and this is the main reason why I have been sitting on this question for a week, but would you be able to help explain just what these values determine? I'm very eager to make certain enemies more susceptible to Desoul, amongst other status spells. From researching other threads, I am to understand that having both 'Minor' and 'Major' values checked will grant full immunity to all status effects - I believe. In truth, I'm quite lost to anything other than that. If you would be able to clear things up regarding what these resistances handle separately, that would be most appreciated. I apologise in this question in any way derails the original focus of this thread.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Mon Jul 01 2019 8:47pm

The levels of (status ailment) resistances I've been mentioning are those very "minor" and "major" thingymajigs, with none being 0, minor being 1, major being 2, and "immunity" being 3. Unlike SF1, all ailments in SF2 share the same resistance stat. Ailments via attacks ignore this resistance value: the ailment is automatically applied when the attack is a would-be critical hit, except in the Gisarme's case where it automatically fails against "immunity".

As far as I could tell, other than this Gisarme exception, the only other one pertaining to status ailments is Slow's automatic success against no resistance.

"Immunity" does indeed grant full immunity to status effects via spells in the vanilla game, while minor and major incidentally happen to cut spell affliction rates by 1/3 and 2/3. These won't necessarily hold true after editing the spells, depending on how their individual success rates are edited. (for example, "Ailment Spell Accuracy Up" has Muddle1 and Dispel have a 12.5% rate of success even against "immunity" to start with)

Some unrelated patches:

2x Spell Weakness
Hitting a weakness with a spell causes 200% damage instead of 125% damage.

Stat-Up Items Always 4
Stat-up items (other than the Brave Apple and Running Pimento) always increase a stat by 4 instead of randomly by 1 to 4. In-battle and out-of-battle effects are both affected and synced up.
For further customization:

Two Final Battles in One Go
Just like in SF1, escaping from the final battle requires going through the penultimate battle again.
Possible issues:

Recruit All Creed Characters
All 4 characters from Creed can be picked up the first time around. Leaving the map without picking everyone up will have the remaining characters have to wait until the second time around.

Repair Command Replaced by EXP Purchase
Shop merchants cannot repair items anymore. Instead, they offer to level up Force members at a cost of 5 gold per missing EXP per current level (e.g. a level 30 character with 0 EXP requires 15000 gold). Character levels can only be increased up to the Force's current highest level.
For further customization:
Last edited by Siel on Mon Jul 01 2019 11:39pm, edited 6 times in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II