Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Detox Less Useless

also a rework of status effects and other things

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Detox Less Useless

Postby DiegoMM » Mon Jul 01 2019 10:26pm

Exp purchase is genius!!!
thank you very much!
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Mon Jul 01 2019 10:39pm

How have I missed this gem of a thread for so damned long?

These are some epic patches. Almost makes me want to dust off the old hacking tools again. If only I wasn't so busy.

I think this deserves a sticky.

I've also added it to the OP in The Hack Library.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby projectego » Thu Jul 04 2019 12:39pm

Siel, thank you again for your efforts. This latest batch is among my favourites thus far.

Quick question - how does your 'Recruit All Creed Characters' patch differ from Earl's 'Recruit everyone at Creed's' patch from several years ago? Unfortunately, I am unable to relocate the original thread for Earl's patch, but a direct download link is available via SirHedge's Hacking Resources thread.

I am only making the assumption that you are familiar with Earl's patch. If I am mistaken then please feel free to disregard my question. And as my intent may not be translated properly through text, please let me explain that I am in no one way insinuating any patch ideas were borrowed or stolen or anything of the like; I ask only because I would ideally like to utilise the patch with the best implementation and fewest possible issues.
Last edited by projectego on Fri Jul 05 2019 12:14am, edited 2 times in total.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

(Romans 12:1-2)
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Thu Jul 04 2019 10:34pm

From a quick comparison, the only practical difference I could find was that:
In the vanilla game, after a Creed character joins, Bowie's controls are locked up for the duration of the three other choices spinning into reminiaturization and getting deleted. In both patches, the spinning and deletion are removed, but Earl's patch keeps the control lock while mine doesn't, so Bowie is stuck in place for a while in Earl's patch for seemingly no reason.

but another technical and inconsequential difference is that:
WARNING: SPOILER!
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Thu Jul 11 2019 11:12am

I see. Thank you for taking the time to compare both patches. I will most definitely be favouring yours, moving forwards.

I am not sure if this is even too trivial for you to consider, but there exists a very minor inconsistency in vanilla SF2 that involves one of the dwarf NPCs 'speaking' with the wrong sound effect for one line of dialogue. Effectively, the scene has a female fairy NPC concluding her dialogue, and when the male dwarf delivers his first line, it uses the same female NPC speech sound effect until his follow-up dialogue triggers. The issue can be heard here.

SFC user Ronnen released a 'Show Enemy Level' patch several years ago (available to download via this thread), which is much appreciated, but I quite like the mystery of not knowing how capable an enemy combatant might be - even if the majority of them aren't too difficult. If you feel it worthy of your time, I would love to request a patch that would display a '?' for all enemies that are between the levels of 1-9; a '??' for all enemies that are between 10-99; and '???' for all levels thereafter. Failing that, a single '?' for all levels would still be great. The inconsistency of unknown enemy HP and MP being displayed as '??' and all levels showing as 'N/A' always sort of irked me.

(Images for clarification)
WARNING: SPOILER!

I'm not sure if these are ideas you might be interested in pursuing, but I thought that I might throw them out there.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Guy Jepson » Sun Jul 14 2019 2:47am

Hey Y'all

Thanks Stor for the sticky and thanks Siel for sharing your knowledge.

I have a simple question: How do I edit stuff into my inventory?

I'm at the dwarven village and I don't want to go through all the rigamarole with the RNG.
I have done this before but I haven't attempted it in many many years. I'm vaguely remembering something like "caravan Party Editor" or "Inventory Editor" or something like that.

I have BNC's and SpaceKing's editors but I cant inject weapons directly into my inventory, or at least I don't know how.

I'm doing a test run for my Master Rom Mod (witch I'm anxious to share with you all and get some feedback) and I've changed up a lot of the mithril weapons and I only want to test their performance.

Thank you for your concern regarding this matter.

enjoy some emojis: :excited: :shock: :shock: :damnit:
Guy Jepson

Postby Siel » Sun Jul 14 2019 7:34am

re: hidden level
The game actually writes out both the level and EXP's "N/A" display in one go while also partially recycling the same code to do it, so the code is already more compact than I expected and I couldn't figure out how to make room for a custom level check (without having to migrate the code elsewhere). In the meantime, I made a patch for the single-"?"-for-all-levels fallback, which is how the original unlocalized SF2 displayed it anyway. As a bonus, I also threw in a double "??" variant.

Mystery Level Display - "?"
Mystery Level Display - "??"

re: inventory editing
One way to do it would be through a plain hex editor. Here's a guide I found on GameFAQs that has the addresses for inventory slots and whatnot.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/genesis/5 ... faqs/11359

There's also SFEdit, which is essentially also a hex editor, but with a much more user-friendly UI that is tailored to SF2. I've personally never used it, but I've often seen it recommended on these forums.
https://www.zophar.net/utilities/genesi ... fedit.html

edit: re: dwarf voice
Oops, I forgot about the first half of the post. Here's a fix for the dwarf's voice:
Grans Tunnel Dwarf Voice Fix

Fun fact: since there's a chance Bowie's inventory is full, that entire scene is actually a forced NPC interaction sandwiched between two individual cutscenes. And they must've forgotten to set a voice in the NPC interaction.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedArcher » Sun Aug 18 2019 4:27pm

Siel, I've got a small question. Don't recall if it was asked before in this thread, so pardon me if I'm being repetitive.

What kind of vanilla SF II ROM do your patches need? Is it standard 2 MB one or 4 MB Caravan expanded one? Or both? And do effects carrying on if I use your patches on 2 MB ROM and then expand it in the Caravan?
RedArcher

Postby Siel » Mon Aug 19 2019 8:50am

I haven't tested thoroughly, but I think the patches should work regardless of 2MB/4MB expansions or EU/US versions.

AFAIK, the Cavaran's expansion just clones some data banks to elsewhere without touching the game's functionality, so it shouldn't matter whether the patches are applied before or after expanding either.

As for the EU/US thing, I've been basing my patches on the US version, but some quick tests seem to show them working with the EU version too. At a quick glance, I think the differences between the versions are just in minor things like the staff roll and title screen? And the FPS setting, of course.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to Shining Force II