Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

[Gameplay Mod] SF2 Counteraction v0.2 (demo)

up to Mitula Shrine (battle 30)

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

[Gameplay Mod] SF2 Counteraction v0.2 (demo)

Postby Siel » Wed Sep 19 2018 5:05am

DOWNLOAD
SF2 Counteraction v0.2
(20180930)

How to Use
1. Acquire patch from link above
2. Have an IPS patcher such as LunarIPS to apply the patch
3. Apply the patch to a Shining Force II (USA) rom (2MB, not expanded by the Caravan)
4. Bowie should start with a Short Sword in his inventory if the patching process was successful

----------

PREFACE

This demo ends at around Tristan. The game can probably be played all the way through to the end and even enemies past the demo have been tentatively adjusted, but battle formations past the Zalbard battle haven't been touched. I'm feeling like I'm running low on ideas, so I'm taking a break for a while and decided to share the mod as is. The balancing is done around non-Super difficulty.

----------

MAIN CHANGES

Stats have been completely reworked: Characters, monsters, items, and spells all had their stats heavily modified. Characters learn different spells and some additional characters have gained access to spells. Offensive spells differ from each other a bit more. Weapons have been changed to be more like side arms rather than direct upgrades one after the other.

Stat gain calculations have been modified to be less variable in the long-term, but slightly more random in the mid-term. Each individual level up has less of an impact than the original and EXP calculations have also been modified to facilitate catching up while also not suddenly slowing down to a crawl. Promotion level has been changed to 25.

Battle have been changed: The battles still occur on the same maps, but enemy compositions and formations have been rearranged and made generally more aggressive to up the pace and pressure. Difficulty isn't sky-high, but some was aimed for.

Counterattacks and double attacks no longer trigger by chance: Counterattacks instead always trigger as long as the defender's weapon is in range. Double attacks always trigger depending on class and weapon. There are also double counterattacks and preemptive counterattacks.

A more complete list of changes can be found a bit further below.

----------

SCREENSHOTS
WARNING: SPOILER!

----------

LIST OF CHANGES

Basic changes

Functionality changes

Status effect changes

Bug fixes

----------

DATA AND INFO

Changelog

Characters and classes (short descriptions)

Alternate Promotions

Items

Spells
Last edited by Siel on Mon Oct 01 2018 12:33am, edited 2 times in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: [Gameplay Mod] SF2 Counteraction v0.1 (demo)

Postby Red_Shine » Wed Sep 19 2018 8:04am

I really like many of these changes. I may be with the minority here, but I prefer combat to be as deterministic as possible so that you can actually plan ahead properly. I'll wait until the changes advance further into the game though, to give it a serious try. Also, I'd be very keen on it being compatible with a marathon hack, since honestly I don't really care for the exploration aspect of SF2 anymore; I've done it enough times already as is.
Red_Shine

Re: [Gameplay Mod] SF2 Counteraction v0.1 (demo)

Postby Siel » Mon Sep 24 2018 8:02am

Well, I made a quick attempt at making a version of the patch compatible with the Marathon hack, but it seems to be a bit more complicated than expected since a lot of data is shifted around. I'd have to track down the changes and reconcile my own with them. At the moment, the game won't even play the intro sequence.

On the other hand, I planned out the battles and shops around character joining times, even swapping some characters' classes around, so I'd have to redo all of that if every character joins from the beginning. At that point, I'd essentially be making two different games, which might be going out of scope. I'll probably not go through with the Marathon version unless I also figure out how to have characters join sequentially instead.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force II