Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Difficulty Mod/Patch

Have wondered about it a long time

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Difficulty Mod/Patch

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Nov 20 2018 4:59am

Just a simple thought, but with all the mods for Shining Force 2 that are floating around on this site, I've wondered for a long time if it would be feasibly possible to make a mod or patch that simply restores/fixes the difficulty settings of the vanilla game. Having them actually function properly, rather than doing virtually nothing aside from Super. I imagine the solution being to have the other difficulties adjust enemy stats as well to different extremes, probably using Shining Force 3 as the guideline of what each difficulty should be.

I imagine this would most likely be more complicated than it seems on paper, but just wonder if it's something that's been done, or is something that anybody has ever considered trying to implement.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Difficulty Mod/Patch

Postby DiegoMM » Tue Nov 20 2018 2:39pm

I dont get, the difficult settings on vanilla really works and changes enemy stats.
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Nov 20 2018 5:49pm

Pretty sure enemy stats only change on Super. Hard and Ouch may have slightly different AI, but I think that's debatable. Although as a kid I do recall enemies on Norm sometimes rushing the player a bit more recklessly than on Ouch, but could be mistaken.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Kane » Sun Nov 25 2018 8:55pm

On "normal" the AI attacks quite random, on "ouch" the attacks are much more coordinated!
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Nov 30 2018 7:17am

Still nothing compared to Super though, which is why I think it would be neat if the difficulty differences could be made a little bit more substantial to be more on par with the same level of difference made there.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby xenometal » Sat Dec 01 2018 11:51pm

Here, Christmas is approaching so I cooked up a little something for ya :)

Difficult Difficulty

README
WARNING: SPOILER!
xenometal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Dec 02 2018 12:03am

Great job! I think Ill start a new playthrough soon using some of yours mods.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Dec 02 2018 1:30am

Neat. Will definitely have to give it a try sometime soon to see how it plays out.

*Edit: Well so far I've reached Galam Castle, and it's turning out pretty nicely. Taking heavy hits in Super is one thing, but now having to account for being unable to quickly dispatch enemies before they can deliver additional hits is making things a fair bit trickier. Needing to not only stay in high land effect zones to minimize damage received, but also trying to manipulate where the enemies move so they don't land in said zones to maximize damage dealt is suddenly equally as important. Heck, in the first fight against the Gizmos it took attacks from Bowie, Sarah, and Chester combined just to defeat a single foe if standing on a 15% Land Effect space, which is most of the map. Then when I got to the second battle, the only character who could dependably hit the rats for more than 1 damage was Jaha, meaning they had plenty of time to score a number of devastating hits before going down, all the while other enemies are drawing closer in the meantime. This has lead to me buying way more Medical Herbs than I ever have just to outlast the enemies. Have also already suffered three casualties, granted one was to a double attack, and another I think was the result of wonky turn order in addition to the heightened defense stats.

Granted I'm sure there are plenty of other mods out there that are more challenging in more interesting ways, but I'm honestly not really into mods at all, so this is much more up my alley since it's more like a patch to fix the difficulty settings so that they're not so redundant as they were originally, making it easier to look past that and enjoy it for what it is, and what it should've probably always been. At this moment though, I just wonder how the defense boost will affect the usefulness of already rather weak characters such as Luke and Kiwi who already pack rather weak punches (not that I'll likely be using them, but maybe for experimentation)? Wondering if some characters will really be at all viable with such a setting change; perhaps time will tell.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force II